Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I don't remember if it was Dave or Bix, but one of them made a very simple point about why Tough Enough has lovely ratings: The viewer base knows that the winner doesn't matter, because no Tough Enough winner has ever meant poo poo in WWE. And no, Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Mundo/Hennigan doesn't count.

But didn't the last one with Austin do fine, ratings-wise? And Andy Meth managed to be even less relevant somehow than any prior winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't remember if it was Dave or Bix, but one of them made a very simple point about why Tough Enough has lovely ratings: The viewer base knows that the winner doesn't matter, because no Tough Enough winner has ever meant poo poo in WWE. And no, Johnny Nitro/Morrison/Mundo/Hennigan doesn't count.

Dave has said it a few times.

flashy_mcflash posted:

But didn't the last one with Austin do fine, ratings-wise? And Andy Meth managed to be even less relevant somehow than any prior winner.

It did poorly by USA's standards but viewership has dropped so much it would now be a success, hence the revival.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

It didn't do well at the time, but cable ratings are all down compared to 4/5 years ago so execs look back and think oh wow it did really well compared to our current lineup because they are idiots I guess

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

pretty much the truth, no matter how intense the training regime actually is, it won't replace 10+ years of ringwork.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
it's not like there haven't been wrestlers who were really good in their first year in the business. most of them were probably accomplished shooters working a style where they could parlay that experience or had grown up around the business though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not even that. It's not like they had a bunch that then went to developmental for a couple of years and got a big push when they came up. They've literally all been treated as nothings that didn't pay their dues even though the company created a show where they were hiring a 'new star' that wasn't going to pay dues.

X-Factor and Pop Idol/American Idol made sure that at least their first few winners got a major push and a marketing machine that almost guaranteed them number one albums/singles, so you can then hype the next season as a huge deal because the winner will become a pop sensation. WWE's version would have Simon Cowell talk about how they're lovely singers that need autotune and the new Rhianna song is better anyway.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Tough Enough should have been a show where they just hired the standouts from RoH/DGUSA/PWG and maybe thrown in a few TNA guys that they could grab who's contracts were expiring. Those guys know how to work, have paid their dues to some degree, and could actually jump right into the main roster and hang with the guys who are already there. Instead they hired a bunch of people who will look good on camera, have no personality and have no idea how to have personality that gets over with the fanbase, and then get brought into a situation where the fans will poo poo on them the moment they step through the ropes because they have no clue how to work.

So now they're paying 500k for a guy and a girl that are going to do nothing on the roster for a year and aren't even creating a tv show that draws viewers. What a bunch of morons.

This would be the perfect way to have debuted a guy like Uhaa Nation but instead the best we get is that we hope ZZ wins because he's the least unlikable. Christ.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Hmm, a show involving a bunch of bodybuilders devoid of charisma and talent isn't successful?

Better go back in time and warn Vince that the WBF will be a failure...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Tough Enough should have been a show where they just hired the standouts from RoH/DGUSA/PWG and maybe thrown in a few TNA guys that they could grab who's contracts were expiring. Those guys know how to work, have paid their dues to some degree, and could actually jump right into the main roster and hang with the guys who are already there. Instead they hired a bunch of people who will look good on camera, have no personality and have no idea how to have personality that gets over with the fanbase, and then get brought into a situation where the fans will poo poo on them the moment they step through the ropes because they have no clue how to work.

So now they're paying 500k for a guy and a girl that are going to do nothing on the roster for a year and aren't even creating a tv show that draws viewers. What a bunch of morons.

This would be the perfect way to have debuted a guy like Uhaa Nation but instead the best we get is that we hope ZZ wins because he's the least unlikable. Christ.

They wanted Uhaa to debut on NXT. They wanted to sign Moose in time so that they could have had him on Tough Enough and he would have won, but he chose ROH and GFW instead.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Hmm, a show involving a bunch of bodybuilders devoid of charisma and talent isn't successful?

Better go back in time and warn Vince that the WBF will be a failure...

The Dark Angel Aaron Baker and Mighty Mike Quinn were overflowing with charisma, dammit. Quinn broke out of prison and did a rap!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Chris James 2 posted:

They wanted Uhaa to debut on NXT. They wanted to sign Moose in time so that they could have had him on Tough Enough and he would have won, but he chose ROH and GFW instead.

I would have voted Moose off Tough Enough :colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The Dark Angel Aaron Baker and Mighty Mike Quinn were overflowing with charisma, dammit. Quinn broke out of prison and did a rap!

If you're looking for charisma, how can you not mention GARY STRYDOM!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If they want a reality show, they should just follow some developmental guys around behind the scenes. Take what ESPN did and turn it into a show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What did Dave say about that NXT Divas segment? Heard he buried it, any good digs at Steph/HHH?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Reminder: WWE rejected Austin Aries wholesale from the last season, and Matt Cross was booted in like 2 weeks.

achillesforever6 posted:

What did Dave say about that NXT Divas segment? Heard he buried it, any good digs at Steph/HHH?

He thought it should've been done significantly better (more focus on Charlotte or Sasha as THE big new star, making it clear this is a complete fresh start and new approach), but knows that given the Total Divas deal and Steph's ego that it was never going to be done any other way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So apparently the Roddy Piper podcast with Will Sasso was advertised well in advance as an interview with Steve Austin? In which case, I can better understand Austin being mad about it. When the show started, did they actually say,"Okay it's Will Sasso guys!" or did they just launch right into an interview with "Austin" right off the bat?

achillesforever6 posted:

He wasn't impressed, but said it wasn't bad and they still have a chance to make a "first impression" over the next couple of weeks, but that it should be in one-on-one matches and not triple threats or six man tags.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Listen to the 25:20 mark of the July 14 edition of Wrestling Observer Live.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I listened to all of that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

epitasis posted:

they're gonna rib him to DEATH!!!!!!!

I've got a question... IS SMACKDOWN STILL AIRING?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

On the filthy Tom show Bryan said he hated Robbie Lawler's walkout song

What a loving wrong opinion

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ch3cooh posted:

Rory had a surprisingly good one too but I wish they were still texting the random guy for his musical choices

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

Rory had a surprisingly good one too but I wish they were still texting the random guy for his musical choices

We'd get Limp Bizkit this time. I miss that man.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

ch3cooh posted:

How the gently caress can you not like that as a walkout song? It loving owned. That comment just baffled me.

By far the worst walkout song was that dude from Stained playing Chad out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm assuming he didn't hate Sinead singing Conor out, which was the most important thing. Good, he's only pretty dumb

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

When the show started, did they actually say,"Okay it's Will Sasso guys!" or did they just launch right into an interview with "Austin" right off the bat?

I only made it halfway through that podcast. He introduced Sasso as Austin, and he stayed in character throughout. It was the worst Comedy Bang Bang ever.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

rovert posted:

Listen to the 25:20 mark of the July 14 edition of Wrestling Observer Live.
Bruce is working overtime to get those next 30 matches online!

e: or was it Ryan's bad call at -25:20?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bruce is working overtime to get those next 30 matches online!

How's he going to upload those matches from Japan!?

But really, this sounds really cool especially since the goddamn WWE won't upload any of the cool poo poo from their library.

e: Oh, I got to the part where he talks about negotiations with WWE. gently caress Vince and Co.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 15, 2015

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I have a subscription to NWAClassics.com and it is awesome. I do not have a WWE Network sub any more because gently caress them for sitting on all the awesome territory stuff they have because Swerved & Jerry Springer bullshit is more important.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Bruce Tharpe interview on Figure Four Daily is pretty good too. Though I kinda did a double-take when Mike laughed at a joke about halfway through and I realized he was actually there as well.

NWA Classics is tempting but I'm already doing two streaming services that I barely get the time to watch as it is, and with G1 coming up I'm figuring most of my time is gonna be devoted to that since watching it is basically a full-time job.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
maybe the WWE negotations involve them paying a third party to manage and monetize all the territory footage they are doing nothing with :pray:

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

maybe the WWE negotations involve them paying a third party to manage and monetize all the territory footage they are doing nothing with :pray:

What? The negotiation talked about on the podcast is where WWE gave a really lovely lowball offer for the Houston library that is on NWAClassics.com

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

The idea of being at a house party with Dave Meltzer passed out on the couch sounds amazing

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

21 Hoot Salute posted:

The idea of being at a house party with Dave Meltzer passed out on the couch sounds amazing

BOLA goals

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

goc posted:

What? The negotiation talked about on the podcast is where WWE gave a really lovely lowball offer for the Houston library that is on NWAClassics.com

Oh

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Niwrad posted:

If they want a reality show, they should just follow some developmental guys around behind the scenes. Take what ESPN did and turn it into a show.

So Total Divas?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just want a big cass show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VINNY HAS WHISKEY DICK!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gaz-L posted:

Reminder: WWE rejected Austin Aries wholesale from the last season, and Matt Cross was booted in like 2 weeks.

That's the point, its not only ridiculous he didn't get in, the whole show should be built around guys like him, not just having 1 or 2 of them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

goc posted:

And then when noted lawyer and negotiator Bruce Tharpe told them to pound sand, they came back with an even lower offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm catching up on Talkin Shop and I love Mikey Nichols (or however you spell his nameh

• Locked thread