Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dahn posted:

True, congress can't even pass a budget. constitutional stuff is way way way way out of their range. It's the political Special Olympics, you need to scale back your expectations.
(no offense intended to special Olympians, sorry for comparing you to dirty politicians)

Who is calling for Political Revolution? Can the majority of Americans 18+ be motivated to vote in every election? To actually know who is running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dahn posted:

Did you key their car?

Why would I?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why would I?

Because SA is a humor site, and we need as many people supporting Trump to keep the comedy flowing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dahn posted:

Did you key their car?

Looking at the damage in the bumper it looks like he headbutted the car.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Joementum posted:

Jeb! says that he's tired of the divisive rhetoric of Donald Trump and Barack Obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpzMyl3HTA

Trump... Obama.... hmm, are they brothers?

"A Republican will never win by striking fear in people's hearts."

Oh I dunno about that, sure seemed to work for your brother...

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The X-man cometh posted:

Because SA is a humor site, and we need as many people supporting Trump to keep the comedy flowing.

Trump/Cthulu 2016: Why Vote for the Lesser Evil?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dahn posted:

Puerto Ricans are US citizens, so they do not need to immigrate. They get all the benefits of people born in Delaware, like running for president.

IIRC, they pay FICA but not income tax. And are ineligible for EIC. Given that the Republicans are hostile to all those things, I can't imagine they would want to put the Puerto Ricans under that cruel yoke.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has the USA today poll been mentioned today?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/07/14/usa-today-suffolk-poll-republicans-donald-trump/30102255/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That's a pretty big margin of error there, no?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sample size is small.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

McDowell posted:

Who is calling for Political Revolution? Can the majority of Americans 18+ be motivated to vote in every election? To actually know who is running?

Are you calling Americans stupid, voting without knowing who/what they are voting for.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

sullat posted:

IIRC, they pay FICA but not income tax. And are ineligible for EIC. Given that the Republicans are hostile to all those things, I can't imagine they would want to put the Puerto Ricans under that cruel yoke.

so republicans are 'pro' statehood ???

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It is, (and it's not defined), but it still places Trump ahead of Walker. I'll take it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I want trump vs biden

gold vs diamond

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

FiveThirtyEight has a truly excellent page listing campaign endorsements and providing an explanation of their importance.

It'll be in the OP.

Looks like someone didn't like Reagan as much back then :smug:

Or were there just that few GOP Congressmen...

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

Jet fuel can't melt lead beams.

Also, too, American flag boy is back!! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUt-9J6bUg

"The most Democrat state."

Some day, I will figure out which GOP huckster came up with the idea that they must never say "Democratic" because it sounds vaguely positive and I will throw hardback copies of "The Elements of Style" at their head.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

I want trump vs biden

gold vs diamond

Imagine the debates. Like this but x100:

:syoon: I cannot imagine a more amused look than Bidens in that moment, it's absolutely "are you hearing this loving guy?" Trump would somehow amplify that.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

funtax posted:

"The most Democrat state."

Some day, I will figure out which GOP huckster came up with the idea that they must never say "Democratic" because it sounds vaguely positive and I will throw hardback copies of "The Elements of Style" at their head.

Pretty sure good ol' Rush came up with that one.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dahn posted:

Are you calling Americans stupid, voting without knowing who/what they are voting for.

Most of them can't be bothered to vote unless it is a presidential election which is a binary choice that gets blasted everywhere.

State government and Congress is dominated by the GOP because they have a larger base of people who vote in every election and just go from one tv buzzword to another. Healthy democracy shouldn't be so mechanical.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Kro-Bar posted:

Pretty sure good ol' Rush came up with that one.

Apparently, I will need a time machine to get my book-throwin' on.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I know this from like 10 pages ago, but who the gently caress cares if Iran gets a nuclear bomb? They aren't going to use it.
People raging about Iran having a bomb and the inevitable death of Israel are goddamn morons.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

funtax posted:

Apparently, I will need a time machine to get my book-throwin' on.

quote:

Bush later joked about the issue by talking about his leadership of the "Republic Party" the following month.[28] On February 4, 2007, Bush joked in a speech to House Democrats, stating "Now look, my diction isn't all that good. I have been accused of occasionally mangling the English language. And so I appreciate you inviting the head of the Republic Party."

That guy really had his moments, minus all the complete disasters resulting from his leadership.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Pohl posted:

I know this from like 10 pages ago, but who the gently caress cares if Iran gets a nuclear bomb? They aren't going to use it.
People raging about Iran having a bomb and the inevitable death of Israel are goddamn morons.

Once one country in the region gets a bomb everyone will want a bomb (like say SA) is the main reason

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Friend,

Fresh from my announcement for President, it is vital I contact you about our shared commitment to protect the right to keep and bear arms. I support the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms.

The last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Constitution. President Obama thinks he gets to pick and choose which parts he likes and doesn’t like. He is wrong.

Your 2nd Amendment rights can’t be ripped away. The NRA gave me an A+ (Hillary Clinton got an F). That sharp contrast rings out loud and clear like a hunter’s shot in the cold morning air.

Friend, I will match my gun owners' rights record with Hillary’s any day of the week, but I will need your help to do it.

Please stand with me with a contribution of $10, $35, $50, $100, $250, or more to help elect someone who will defend your 2nd Amendment rights -- not strip them away.

We will stand together and fight with all we’ve got. Hillary has been coming after your guns for years. Whenever there is a gun control bill, you can bet she is for it. She has even gone so far as to take the extreme position of supporting a national gun registry! You just can’t trust her with your right to bear arms.

If I am fortunate enough to be your next President, I will defend the Constitution with all the strength God has given me. I don’t care what our anti-gun opponents say, this is about FREEDOM and it goes to the heart of what it means to be an American.

No one is going to tell me whether I can own a gun or go hunting. And as President, I will make sure no one tells you if you get to keep your gun. It’s your gun. It’s your freedom. It’s your Constitution. It’s your decision.

Friend, you can be sure I won’t flinch. The gun control bullies don’t scare me one bit. I stood up to their kind in the recall race that the Washington Democrats and Big Government Labor Bosses waged against me in 2012 and we won that race by staying true to our values. I have signed legislation giving homeowners the legal right to protect their loved ones and property from an intruder and making Wisconsin the 49th state to allow concealed carry of firearms and other weapons.

With your good help, we will tell every gun owner in America exactly where we stand: shoulder-to-shoulder in support of the 2nd Amendment.

It’s your help that I need the most today. Knowing what will happen to your gun, your ammo, and your rights if Hillary Clinton becomes President, act decisively, do it now, and take your shot for freedom by standing with me today. Please contribute like your 2nd Amendment right depends on it … because it does.

Let’s win this race together and get to work protecting your right to hold your gun firmly in your own strong hands.

Governor Scott Walker

P.S. It’s your gun. It’s your freedom. As fierce advocates for our hunting heritage, we’ve got a lot at stake in this presidential race. You need to get involved right away and in a big way. Even $10 or $25 will be a big help.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pohl posted:

The stated reason is in case Iran suddenly decides to use it to do a terrorism, never mind that even if they were gonna, the Israelis have made it clear that they will go nuke-crazy if someone does nuke Tel Aviv. I imagine the real reason is because, with the perhaps limited exception of North Korea, any country with nuclear weapons is one we have to treat as something resembling a peer.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pohl posted:

At risk of derail, here is a Foreign Affairs essay making the case to let Iran have the bomb.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pohl posted:

There is a serious argument against it from some political scientists that basically goes "Iran's not a stable enough government for us to be confident they'll keep control over their nuclear arms," which is (like Pakistan) compounded by the fact that their strategy for defending their deterrent stockpile would probably have to involve moving it around a lot. The worry is that their control over their warheads will be vulnerable to external attack or internal subversion.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pohl posted:

It would alter the strategic balance of power in the region in a way that disfavors US interests (insofar as the US actually has legitimate interests in the region, rather than pointless client states and endless liabilities).

No one expects nuclear war.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chantilly Say posted:

There is a serious argument against it from some political scientists that basically goes "Iran's not a stable enough government for us to be confident they'll keep control over their nuclear arms," which is (like Pakistan) compounded by the fact that their strategy for defending their deterrent stockpile would probably have to involve moving it around a lot. The worry is that their control over their warheads will be vulnerable to external attack or internal subversion.
Why, because they'd have to expect Israel or America would pre-emptively destroy it? Maybe we could agree to not do that, but that might involve making a promise to other nations. :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

Friend,

Friend,

Friend,

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Friend,

Fresh from my announcement for President, it is vital I contact you about our shared commitment to protect the right to keep and bear arms. I support the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms.

The last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment is part of the Constitution. President Obama thinks he gets to pick and choose which parts he likes and doesn’t like. He is wrong.

Your 2nd Amendment rights can’t be ripped away. The NRA gave me an A+ (Hillary Clinton got an F). That sharp contrast rings out loud and clear like a hunter’s shot in the cold morning air.

Friend, I will match my gun owners' rights record with Hillary’s any day of the week, but I will need your help to do it.

Please stand with me with a contribution of $10, $35, $50, $100, $250, or more to help elect someone who will defend your 2nd Amendment rights -- not strip them away.

We will stand together and fight with all we’ve got. Hillary has been coming after your guns for years. Whenever there is a gun control bill, you can bet she is for it. She has even gone so far as to take the extreme position of supporting a national gun registry! You just can’t trust her with your right to bear arms.

If I am fortunate enough to be your next President, I will defend the Constitution with all the strength God has given me. I don’t care what our anti-gun opponents say, this is about FREEDOM and it goes to the heart of what it means to be an American.

No one is going to tell me whether I can own a gun or go hunting. And as President, I will make sure no one tells you if you get to keep your gun. It’s your gun. It’s your freedom. It’s your Constitution. It’s your decision.

Friend, you can be sure I won’t flinch. The gun control bullies don’t scare me one bit. I stood up to their kind in the recall race that the Washington Democrats and Big Government Labor Bosses waged against me in 2012 and we won that race by staying true to our values. I have signed legislation giving homeowners the legal right to protect their loved ones and property from an intruder and making Wisconsin the 49th state to allow concealed carry of firearms and other weapons.

With your good help, we will tell every gun owner in America exactly where we stand: shoulder-to-shoulder in support of the 2nd Amendment.

It’s your help that I need the most today. Knowing what will happen to your gun, your ammo, and your rights if Hillary Clinton becomes President, act decisively, do it now, and take your shot for freedom by standing with me today. Please contribute like your 2nd Amendment right depends on it … because it does.

Let’s win this race together and get to work protecting your right to hold your gun firmly in your own strong hands.

Governor Scott Walker

P.S. It’s your gun. It’s your freedom. As fierce advocates for our hunting heritage, we’ve got a lot at stake in this presidential race. You need to get involved right away and in a big way. Even $10 or $25 will be a big help.

"Bob, I need you to write a gun control scare message for third-graders. Hop to it."

loving hell, I would be insulted as all get-out if someone sent this to me.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
What's the leadtime on announcement poll bumps? I'm curious as to how high Walker polls after yesterday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pohl posted:

I'm going to be honest, there's a tiny par of my brain that looks forward to Iran having the bomb, if only to encourage Israel to treat Palestinians as actual loving human beings.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nessus posted:

Why, because they'd have to expect Israel or America would pre-emptively destroy it? Maybe we could agree to not do that, but that might involve making a promise to other nations. :v:

Yeah. For context, Pakistan's strategy for defending its deterrent is that its missiles are mobile and can be frequently moved, so that an Indian surprise first strike would have difficulty targeting Pakistan's deterrent. But that strategy means you have to give relatively low-level commanders a relatively high level of control, and makes the weapons more vulnerable to other things. Pakistan would only do it during a crisis situation, but I'll leave it to your imagination when Iran might think it's under threat of a surprise first strike from Israel or the US.

Iran's arsenal as it stands is less mobile than Pakistan's, but it's likely in any event that their defensive strategy would put their warheads at greater risk than a lot of people consider acceptable.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pohl posted:

So this is entirely anecdotal but I knew a bunch of Iranian expats back in grad school and heard several of them express the concern that if their government ever actually had a workable bomb in hand it would be smuggled into and detonated in Israel asap. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but they all really hated the Iranian government so :shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

What's the leadtime on announcement poll bumps? I'm curious as to how high Walker polls after yesterday.

Does it still count as an "announcement" if everyone has already known about it for months anyway?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to be honest, there's a tiny par of my brain that looks forward to Iran having the bomb, if only to encourage Israel to treat Palestinians as actual loving human beings.

the iranian government doesn't care about that

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

That usually means they don't have a name attached to thr email. If they did it would be (first name) × 3

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

So this is entirely anecdotal but I knew a bunch of Iranian expats back in grad school and heard several of them express the concern that if their government ever actually had a workable bomb in hand it would be smuggled into and detonated in Israel asap. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but they all really hated the Iranian government so :shrug:

The Iranian govt treats it's people like poo poo, but no one with power is going to waste their only bomb (which is basically a self defense weapon at this point) on terrorism.
Their country would be incinerated, they know that. The entire idea that they would somehow launch a nuclear attack against anyone, ignoring the consequences is dumb as hell.

The Iranian expats rightly hate their government, because Iran is constantly in this weird state where the people and the Gov. are constantly at odds with one another. I can understand that, but I don't believe that the leadership of Iran is going to get a nuclear bomb and then gleefully smuggle it into Israel and detonate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Chantilly Say posted:

Wasn't a Pakistani nuclear physicist responsible for all sorts of nuclear proliferation with Iran, Libya, North Korea?

Non-proliferation is a good thing, I don't think there is any reasonable argument saying otherwise. If Iran gets the bomb then Saudi Arabia gets the bomb and you've started a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

• Locked thread