Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

That makes sense, they are pretty fancy :3: I remember once being bored on Google Translate (it was slow at work) and typing in "cockatiel" to see what it was in various languages. I can make no assertions for how actually correct it is, but it always made me amused that the Chinese term, xuán fèng yīngwǔ, broke down into characters that mean:

玄 Mysterious
凤 Phoenix
鹦鹉 Parrot

It makes them sound so much more dashing.

I hope that's true because it makes them sound amazing. This page has other language terms for cockatiel, including some Chinese: http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=FDAEA60A5681B51F but I'm not sure how to break it down properly like you did there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Awwww.... http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/storytellers/2015/07/13/wende-harston-pet-parrot-queen-city-jazz-band/30066977/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I have yet to find any word for any parrot that translates directly into "noisy fucker," but it feels like such a thing should exist. Maybe in one of the Aboriginal languages in Australia or some other place where they're surrounded by loud rear end in a top hat birds.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I hope that's true because it makes them sound amazing. This page has other language terms for cockatiel, including some Chinese: http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=FDAEA60A5681B51F but I'm not sure how to break it down properly like you did there
I just put the individual characters in to Google Translate and that's what came out for them :science: But I have no idea how proper it is.

Calopsitte élégante? Élégante my rear end, France.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 14, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

I just put the individual characters in to Google Translate and that's what came out for them :science: But I have no idea how proper it is.

Try it for the Japanese characters on the cockatiel page! It doesn't seem quite right, somehow...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think somebody posted a story in here a while back about a similar situation with a macaw and his owner. The man lost his home and had to give up his bird, but he came in faithfully every day after work to see his bird and spend time with him. After a while, whenever somebody came to the shelter and was interested in adopting this macaw, the employees would explain that he had already been adopted and they were simply boarding him for the owner. :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think somebody posted a story in here a while back about a similar situation with a macaw and his owner. The man lost his home and had to give up his bird, but he came in faithfully every day after work to see his bird and spend time with him. After a while, whenever somebody came to the shelter and was interested in adopting this macaw, the employees would explain that he had already been adopted and they were simply boarding him for the owner. :kimchi:
Oof, I remember that story :3: It got me right in the heart.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Try it for the Japanese characters on the cockatiel page! It doesn't seem quite right, somehow...

阿亀鸚哥, okame-inko

Something like "housewife parrot" or "flat turtle parrot", but honestly I think the character used for "o" is just for its sound and not meaning in any way, and the "kame" (turtle) part is also questionable.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

阿亀鸚哥, okame-inko

Something like "housewife parrot" or "flat turtle parrot", but honestly I think the character used for "o" is just for its sound and not meaning in any way, and the "kame" (turtle) part is also questionable.
Well, at least the mental image of "housewife parrot" is pretty cute :kimchi: I imagine a cockatil in an apron and stuff.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

阿亀鸚哥, okame-inko

No, I meant where it says Japanese: オカメインコ, try putting the individual characters in like Tendai mentioned doing before, each on a separate line, and look what Google says the results are-

オ Oh
カ Mosquitoes
メ Menu
イ Yi
ン Down
コ Co

Housewife parrot is adorable though :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

No, I meant where it says Japanese: オカメインコ, try putting the individual characters in like Tendai mentioned doing before, each on a separate line, and look what Google says the results are-

That spells the same word as 阿亀鸚哥, just in katakana instead.6
iT'D MAKE MORE SENSE TO PASTE THOSE FOUR IN, ONE BY ONE.

bTW. SORRY ABOUT CAPS, pION THOUGHT i SHOULD TURN IT ON.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pion is very serious about his Japanese studies

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

That spells the same word as 阿亀鸚哥, just in katakana instead.6
iT'D MAKE MORE SENSE TO PASTE THOSE FOUR IN, ONE BY ONE.

bTW. SORRY ABOUT CAPS, pION THOUGHT i SHOULD TURN IT ON.

Tendai posted:

Pion is very serious about his Japanese studies

And unlike Pion I don't know Japanese so just used what was on the page :colbert:

What does the Japanese for Blue-throats come out to then? http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?avibaseid=9DA59151AD902C77

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

And unlike Pion I don't know Japanese so just used what was on the page :colbert:

What does the Japanese for Blue-throats come out to then? http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?avibaseid=9DA59151AD902C77

Blue-fore-painted parrot.

Quite boring.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Boo. Housewife parrot makes up for it though. Thanks!

http://jisho.org/word/阿亀鸚哥

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 14, 2015

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So what started out as a trip to get supplies for Daisy ended up a trip buying a budgie for my son. Daisy is already chirping at the budgie every time it chirps. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

anotherblownsave posted:

So what started out as a trip to get supplies for Daisy ended up a trip buying a budgie for my son. Daisy is already chirping at the budgie every time it chirps. :3:

Years ago a trip to get supplies for my ladytiel ended up a trip buying a conure for myself, I approve of this post :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awww, that's awesome :3: Post pictures of newbudgie!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bitey has figured out which drawer his seeds come from and all day has been standing in front of it, running back and forth and squeaking. No bird! You get your seed ration and your delicious vegies and as much pellets as you can eat, no extra seed <:mad:> He hasn't even finished his seed ration, he just wants more of the sunflower seeds that he has finished.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Bitey has figured out which drawer his seeds come from and all day has been standing in front of it, running back and forth and squeaking. No bird! You get your seed ration and your delicious vegies and as much pellets as you can eat, no extra seed <:mad:> He hasn't even finished his seed ration, he just wants more of the sunflower seeds that he has finished.

soon as you bust out the sunnies its all over

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

put them in a different drawer tonight when hes asleep and then if he does it tomorrow, let him look in and see what he does.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

put them in a different drawer tonight when hes asleep and then if he does it tomorrow, let him look in and see what he does.

:eyepop:!

A perfect and evil plan! I will do this and blow his tiny peanut-sized brain!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Please also give us at least a lovely cellphone video of it. Us non-birbhavers need our fix.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So Judah likes the laser pointer more than the idiot cat does. I had him with me while she was shut in the other half of the house and he was very carefully chasing it around my desk in that ridiculous little potato waddle :3: Good birb.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Tendai posted:

I have yet to find any word for any parrot that translates directly into "noisy fucker," but it feels like such a thing should exist. Maybe in one of the Aboriginal languages in Australia or some other place where they're surrounded by loud rear end in a top hat birds.

Calopsitte élégante? Élégante my rear end, France.

雞尾鸚鵡

chicken-tailed parrot which actually means parrot with long tail

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hmmm, let's see what I can find in Google translate!

Cockatiel in Turkish is "sultan parrot". In lots of European languages it's a variation of "maiden" or "nymph" cockatoo/parrot/parakeet (Finnish "neitokakadu", Danish "Nymfeparakit", etc). Korean is "crowned parrot". For a lot of eastern European languages it just gives a variation of corella or parrot. For Hebrew, for some reason, it translates it as קוקטייל, which is... cocktail :v: I think that might be wrong, somehow!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

it translates it as קוקטייל, which is... cocktail :v: I think that might be wrong, somehow!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

For Hebrew, for some reason, it translates it as קוקטייל, which is... cocktail :v: I think that might be wrong, somehow!

Not mine, from some LiveJournal parrot community 10+ years ago

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yours is better :allears:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

anotherblownsave posted:

:3: Nugget used to have a budgie buddy, Sprite, they were little birdie BFFs. Sprite followed Nugget around everywhere but also harassed her a lot. Just like a proper little sister should do, I suppose.

RIP Sprite she was the cutest. :angel:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Enjoying some tasty cooked carrot, spinach, and broccolini with Captain Bitey :kimchi: (No butter or pepper for birbs.) He loves the little broccoli florets and is not so keen on the stalk. His beak is all mushy and green.

I have figured out the way to get him to stop squeaking for sunflower seeds is to get him to eat other healthier but still tasty things. If his mouth is full of delicious broccoli he can't squeak for seeds!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Enjoying some tasty cooked carrot, spinach, and broccolini with Captain Bitey :kimchi: (No butter or pepper for birbs.) He loves the little broccoli florets and is not so keen on the stalk. His beak is all mushy and green.

I have figured out the way to get him to stop squeaking for sunflower seeds is to get him to eat other healthier but still tasty things. If his mouth is full of delicious broccoli he can't squeak for seeds!
You're a drat fine bird parent.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Enjoying some tasty cooked parrot

I read wrong for a second there :gonk:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nielsm posted:

My stepfather has eaten deep fried budgie while on a business trip in China.

He said it was crunchy :stare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

My great-grandmother enjoyed talking about The Wars (all of them) when there was lots of rationing, so, in their part of rural NSW, Parrot Pie and Pigeon Pie were not uncommon dinners.

Apparently she even made it a couple of times for her other descendants who had missed out on the experience.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

GoldStandardConure posted:

My stepfather has eaten deep fried budgie while on a business trip in China.

He said it was crunchy :stare:

I threaten my GCC with this on a regular basis. She's still an rear end in a top hat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I go Back Home and visit my chickens I hug them and tell them they will be turned into chicken nuggets (fat chicken) or soup stock (skinny chicken) if they misbehave. Captain Bitey may or may not be threatened with eating when he's taking a while to settle down at night or squeaking early in the morning.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whenever I go Back Home and visit my chickens I hug them and tell them they will be turned into chicken nuggets (fat chicken) or soup stock (skinny chicken) if they misbehave. Captain Bitey may or may not be threatened with eating when he's taking a while to settle down at night or squeaking early in the morning.

show it the chicken nuggets and bones

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
オカメインコ is actually referring to the Okame goddess. You might have seen these masks before:

Same rosy cheeks. :derptiel:

(And from what I've noticed, no one really bothers with kanji for parrot names. You'll find better results searching in katakana.)

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

So Judah likes the laser pointer more than the idiot cat does. I had him with me while she was shut in the other half of the house and he was very carefully chasing it around my desk in that ridiculous little potato waddle :3: Good birb.

I'm clicking everywhere in this post and can't find the video link????

Pip pip pip posted:

:3: Nugget used to have a budgie buddy, Sprite, they were little birdie BFFs. Sprite followed Nugget around everywhere but also harassed her a lot. Just like a proper little sister should do, I suppose.

RIP Sprite she was the cutest. :angel:

She was, Nugget and Sprite stories and photos were the best. And Nugget is an amazing name! BTW, remember you sent two little foot toys all that time ago with the harness for Ohtori? He finally destroyed it (a toy made of fibres, with a bead on each end, and a plastic ring on the length) yesterday-not with his beak, but by rolling on to his back and tearing it in two with his feet. :black101:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

オカメインコ is actually referring to the Okame goddess. You might have seen these masks before:

Same rosy cheeks. :derptiel:

(And from what I've noticed, no one really bothers with kanji for parrot names. You'll find better results searching in katakana.)

Thanks for this! One day I'll get around to learning some Japanese... right after learning the language here (haha)

Housewife parrot would have been most excellent though :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A gif of everyday cockatiel behavior courtesy of Pepper.