Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit confused by this Symbols poo poo, is that the class node in the middle of their initial progression atlas that unlocks the main Atlas? Or is this something else I get when I get every node in a class tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Thronde posted:

I'm a bit confused by this Symbols poo poo, is that the class node in the middle of their initial progression atlas that unlocks the main Atlas? Or is this something else I get when I get every node in a class tree?

The latter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, don't just highlight people that agree with you.

I mean, he's right but jeez :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drinkfist posted:

So Casual Friendly but not Sperg friendly.

But almost literally every other MMO has proven that the 'casuals' outnumber the 'spergs' by orders of magnitude (see Wildstar :lol:) so how is this a bad thing?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Does anything influence the cap this week? I know next to nothing about the russian servers but I'd like enough sparks to max out Paladin and another class this week :shobon:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

WarLocke posted:

But almost literally every other MMO has proven that the 'casuals' outnumber the 'spergs' by orders of magnitude (see Wildstar :lol:) so how is this a bad thing?

I am always vaguely afraid of developers caving to player bitching without much thought of how it affects overall balance. Warhammer online hurt me a lot, man. :(

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I don't think Vladimir Putin accepts criticism. I also assume the game is 100% developed by Putin.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Naori Island just keeps on going. I only play for a couple hours after work, so it's taken me 2 or 3 days of playing and I'm only 56% of the way through. :psyduck:

e:

randombattle posted:

I don't think Vladimir Putin accepts criticism. I also assume the game is 100% developed by Putin.

It's probably like the President of Singapore. The guy is probably an accomplished programmer in his own right.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I guess if you're enjoying it that's cool, but you really don't have to complete the regions maps. Also, it's a lot faster if you just tag enemies rather than fighting it out.

Well, you get one of the 13 class symbols when you max out a class, in addition to 2 symbol slots for your first one. But the majority of symbols are unlocked through the ascension atlas.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm planing on playing this on Thursday when open beta starts and have a few questions:
I generally like playing classes that have lots of minions and/or turrets, but I really don't like temporary minions that last for x-seconds, etc. Also, I played necromancer in guild wars 2, and nekros in warframe, and I'm getting a bit tired of that aesthetic and looking for something a bit different. What would you guys suggest for a starter class and something to aspire to? I thing the gunner class can deploy a big turret? That seems like fun.

Also any other advice is appreciated.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

No classes with permanent or long duration minions. This might eventually change with the addition of new classes. I've never seen a Gunner deploy a turret either, but I admit I don't know much about the class; They do use their gun as a mortar, though.

You might enjoy Warlock/Witch, but it's one of the hardest classes to unlock. Either way, you can try (with limited skills) every class after the tutorial in the training room, and randomly with full skills (albeit not optimal ones) on 2x adventures.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm planing on playing this on Thursday when open beta starts and have a few questions:
I generally like playing classes that have lots of minions and/or turrets, but I really don't like temporary minions that last for x-seconds, etc. Also, I played necromancer in guild wars 2, and nekros in warframe, and I'm getting a bit tired of that aesthetic and looking for something a bit different. What would you guys suggest for a starter class and something to aspire to? I thing the gunner class can deploy a big turret? That seems like fun.

AFAIK none of the classes are really 'minion master' types. The Necro has some minions/summons, but they're all short-duration like you said you don't like. And even then you can maaaybe get two out at once.

All the classes play pretty uniquely and have fun bits to them IMO. The good thing is that your character can swap between classes at will (outside of combat) and very early in the game you can do holographic training to get a taste of how all the classes perform.

Starter classes are Paladin (tank), Lightbinder (technically can heal, but more of a buffer/supporter/DPS) and Cryomancer (DPS, but looking at their talents I think they can be built for some CC as well). Anything else you have to travel across the atlas to unlock (unless you spend a lot of money on a founder pack).

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Liberatore posted:

I guess if you're enjoying it that's cool, but you really don't have to complete the regions maps. Also, it's a lot faster if you just tag enemies rather than fighting it out.

What do you mean just tagging enemies? If there's an easier way to go about this, I'm all for it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do a single hit against enemies someone else is fighting. You still get credit toward the quest.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh that. Yeah, I leech of groups fighting mobs constantly. Just lob in my 3 and reap the sweet sweet credit.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Lanber Forest pushed me over 2100, somebody invite Profanity Jane so I can contribute to the grind.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

The alchemist has a couple of short-duration minion based abilities I think. I saw one in the stress test which just amounted to "summon a wave of goo-bombs that leap onto your target."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The goo blobs hit hard. You summon up to six and they crawl toward your target. It's like a delayed ST acid bomb. They do not stick around to fight, just explode.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Got to 4944 prestige, order rank 6, and within 258 green nodes of Necro unlock. I did this in a very inefficient way, but hell..not terrible for week 1. Can't wait for week 2 with all the limit resets tomorrow! Fleshing out Necro, and maybe starting towards Archer/Slayer. :P I really wish someone would make an atlas planner tool..would make efficient route planning so much easier.

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014
Is Skyforge fun?

I see a lot of posts saying to avoid cryomancer because its boring, but how's the combat overall?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Combat is the reason to play the game, so I can safely say it's pretty good, considering how much I'm enjoying it.

Obscurity posted:

Got to 4944 prestige, order rank 6, and within 258 green nodes of Necro unlock. I did this in a very inefficient way, but hell..not terrible for week 1. Can't wait for week 2 with all the limit resets tomorrow! Fleshing out Necro, and maybe starting towards Archer/Slayer. :P I really wish someone would make an atlas planner tool..would make efficient route planning so much easier.

There isn't much a planner would do that the game doesn't. It already takes the most efficient route, skipping nodes you can't take. All you need to do is towards the end (last cluster, basically), make sure you don't go over for any spark type.

What the Russians like doing is calculating spark costs by cluster, then earning enough sparks to take every node you need from each cluster before moving on to the next. This makes it much harder to gently caress up than going one by one.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LunaDeus posted:

Is Skyforge fun?

I see a lot of posts saying to avoid cryomancer because its boring, but how's the combat overall?

I am having a lot of fun shooting killer robots and bugs and fish people and so forth. They reuse areas a lot, but after you clear it the first time it adds challenges like take little damage or fight 12 things at once for subsequent runs.

Starting as a founder pack class wasn't too bad, either. It didn't take nearly as long to get through the starter nodes as I thought. I went with Paladin, now I'm debating if I want to hit Slayer or Kinetic next.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LunaDeus posted:

Is Skyforge fun?

Cryomancer isn't bad at all, people seem to not like it because it's not as 'active' a class as others (you stay at range and throw icicles/cause snowstorms, you're not up close and dodging around (hopefully))

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Spark caps just reset. :toot:

LunaDeus posted:

Is Skyforge fun?

Overall it's decent. Some classes are way more fun than others (berserker). Fortunately there are tutorials for each class to give you a better idea of which one you want to build towards.

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014
Sounds promising I guess.

How many years would it take to get to the monk class? Can't find any atlas calculators on google to see how far away it is.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Monk is one of the 'farther' classes from the start, I think. 2-3 weeks maybe? As long as you don't gently caress around grabbing whatever at random.

Unguided posted:

Spark caps just reset. :toot:

SOCKS ENGAGED

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Magic Science guy wants to give me a trait slot by killing 20 dudes real quick but I can't seem to make it go bingo.

I'm shooting plasma as fast as I can!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LunaDeus posted:

Is Skyforge fun?

I'm pretty low "level" (just unlocked the full grid), but so far it's pretty cool but not spectacular? I like TERA's combat a lot more, the whole "you must target an enemy to use your M1" thing for Paladin and presumably other classes is really obnoxious some of the time, just let me fuckign swing my sword. I guess they do this because attacks don't actually have hitboxes like they do in TERA but it still feels like a step back.

The moves are all real pretty and have super satisfying animations though. Spinning your sword before planting it in the ground and sending out shockwave after shockwave of holy light is real sick.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Inzombiac posted:

Magic Science guy wants to give me a trait slot by killing 20 dudes real quick but I can't seem to make it go bingo.

Do it in the training room, or just pull a bunch of mobs (in an easy adventure/region if you need to).

Anyway, they pull the difference if you go over the cap, so now mine is only at 6450 sparks of insight. My Archer unlock is going to be extremely close.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
THE WEEKLY RESET JUST HAPPENED. It was 5am CET not PST. Hop on and start earning poo poo if you wish

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

lewtt posted:

THE WEEKLY RESET JUST HAPPENED. It was 5am CET not PST. Hop on and start earning poo poo if you wish

Missing sleep for work so I can loving unlock Necromancer :black101:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Good news- any leftover limits appear to roll over- My ~300 unearned sparks added to my limit this week.
Also, amusingly, if you got more than your limit via the dungeon thing, it subtracts from this week's total.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Do I have to wait for my missions to reset? They're still showing the capped rewards.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Yes.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Hey I can't invite to the anymore guild for reasons so you need to PM Irate Drinkfist, Lewt Gingrich, or Storm Gale.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can we do one of the stronghold upgrades after the next member cap upgrade finishes? We could use some actual benefits besides guild chat from being in a Pantheon.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Unguided posted:

Can we do one of the stronghold upgrades after the next member cap upgrade finishes? We could use some actual benefits besides guild chat from being in a Pantheon.

No

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

you're mad with power

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
kill him before he destroys us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Inzombiac posted:

Go to the easiest solo mission you can, run through all the mobs to gather up a billion of them and AoE them down at once.

• Locked thread