Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

eldemiror posted:

Yeah sorry if it's NSFW, i really don't know how to rate it: it was in a first page in a national newspaper here :(

No visible nipples, labia, or erect penises. Naked flaccid penises are generally ok in non-sexual contexts like on statues or young children/babies, but any adult human dicks should probably be censored or behind a NSFW tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
You realize that if Iran does, well, ANYTHING in the next 500 years they'll blame it on Obama.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

cram me sideways posted:

You realize that if Iran does, well, ANYTHING in the next 500 years they'll blame it on Obama.

Wasn't that going to happen whether the deal went through or not?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cram me sideways posted:

Don't be ridiculous. They'll only blame him until the next democratic president.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I dont know posted:

He also played (Union) Calvary Commander John Buford in Gods and Generals, and an old granola hippie on Parks and Recreation.

I looked as well and found several memes, liberal and conservative, with "quotes" but nothing sourced. Given the utter lack of any verified political opinions from him, suspect being publicly politically neutral is a deliberate choice.

He was also in the very conservative movie, the Golden Compass.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

loquacius posted:

So like does Ramirez think the sanctions were what was keeping Iran from getting a nuke or what? :confused:

Hurt the bad people and the bad people don't hurt you. Think like a caveman and you will understand Ramirez.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

duz posted:

Don't be ridiculous. They'll only blame him until the next democratic president.

Good to hear they'll stop blaming Obama for stuff in 2016 :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
DBD is literally just copying Austin Powers.

As a webcomic.

In 2015.

Rorus Raz posted:

Light pollution is a thing.

Sure, but it causing obesity or any of those other things is crazy.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Obesity, mood disorders, and heart disease can be caused by stress and insomnia so I don't see why it's so unbelievable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution#Effects_on_animal_and_human_health_and_psychology

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like the idea of a dude that eats in moderation with a healthy well-balanced diet, exercises regularly, and avoids vices like alcohol and smoking becoming obese and dying of heart failure because of light pollution.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Long term insomnia really can really screw up your ability to do the exercise or good diet parts of that.

Most people would invest in a set of blackout curtains before that had a chance to happen though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yes, I live in a city, so light pollution is a problem, but I just put curtains up like I've done for my entire life and that problem is now resolved.

e: Oh now I get it, I can blame the fact that I like cheeseburgers and video games more than exercising on light pollution and not my own laziness and lack of self-motivation.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 15, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shugojin posted:

Long term insomnia really can really screw up your ability to do the exercise or good diet parts of that.

Most people would invest in a set of blackout curtains before that had a chance to happen though.

Light pollution refers to not being able to see the stars. Nobody's becoming an insomniac solely because they can't see stars. People get by in submarines for crying out loud. Other people work night shifts and sleep during the day. Seeing daylight sure makes it harder to sleep, but lack of stars? And even if it causes a little insomnia, enough to cause a heart attack or obesity? Its a stretch to the point of disbelief.

If some rear end in a top hat has a spot light or a neon sign right outside your window, that's different. But yeah buy some blackout curtains.

Its lame that you can't see all the millions of stars if you live in a city, but its not literally killing you. Go out to the country once every few months and take a gander.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh? I always thought light pollution was just ambient light everywhere from whatever sources. Drowns out the stars and shines through your windows annoyingly.

I have never known anyone but amateur astronomers to complain about the stars being drowned.

E: also I meant order of weeks to months a couple hours a night worth of sleep deprivation can stress a person out and gently caress up decision making. The heart attack thing is really edge case "just had heart problems" territory though.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 15, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This link is broken now (I'm assuming it came down) but please tell me based on the name of the URL it's everything I hoped for and more.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

seiferguy posted:

This link is broken now (I'm assuming it came down) but please tell me based on the name of the URL it's everything I hoped for and more.

Link works just fine for me :confused: Also not quite as good a story as the headline says but still funny.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Crowsbeak posted:

He was also in the very conservative movie, the Golden Compass.

Wait, I thought that was a godless liberal movie. Or is that the joke?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Zaphod42 posted:

DBD is literally just copying Austin Powers.

As a webcomic.

In 2015.

Something I've always wondered: When will referendes and parodies of late 90s movies like Austin Powes and The Matrix stop inducing eye rolls, because they'll be considered beloved classics?

Maybe referring to Austin Powers as a "beloved classic" is a bit much, but you know what I mean.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Works for me...but anyway, it's not quite as glorious as that headline implies. His people put out some generic campaign image that had some stockphoto soldiers smushed into the corner of it. Immediately upon release the internet identified them as Nazi soldiers by their uniforms and the image was yanked.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw this and thought it perfectly encapsulates what Drunky Duck cartoons are mostly about these days.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Austin Powers and the Matrix had the same problem, right? Good first movie, poo poo sequels?

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Jerusalem posted:

Good to hear they'll stop blaming Obama for stuff in 2016 :getin:

They'll blame him for less, but he won't be out of it for a long time. You'll still hear 9/11 and other problems blamed on Clinton. Carter still catches some poo poo now and again, and I've even heard people still complaining about Roosevelt or Johnson.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WarpedNaba posted:

Austin Powers and the Matrix had the same problem, right? Good first movie, poo poo sequels?
I would argue the second Austin Powers was the best of them all. The third was terrible though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The second Austin Powers movie is fine, it's only Goldmember that sucks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Oh? I always thought light pollution was just ambient light everywhere from whatever sources. Drowns out the stars and shines through your windows annoyingly.

I have never known anyone but amateur astronomers to complain about the stars being drowned.

E: also I meant order of weeks to months a couple hours a night worth of sleep deprivation can stress a person out and gently caress up decision making. The heart attack thing is really edge case "just had heart problems" territory though.

You're correct that light pollution is mostly about cities being so bright that stars can't be seen from them anymore.

There are concerns about "overillumination", particularly in office spaces with lots and lots of fluorescent lighting over rows and rows of cubicles, having some bad effects on a person's restfulness, but that's generally talked about as being separate from light pollution, and it's not like street lights has anything to do with someone having trouble sleeping because they work nights.

The other, and probably more legitimate concern with light pollution is that it fucks up an animal's biorhythm and nocturnal navigation. They think it's day all the time and also they can't see the moon and the stars so they can't tell where they're going, and they can't exactly work around the issue with blackout curtains.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You could make a better case tangentially related to artificial lighting: Mankind's sleep cycle has been shifted from 2 sets of 4 hours sleep to a single block of 8 hours. Apparently waking in the middle of the night with mild insomnia was common enough that the Koran has prayers specified for just that period.

Then again, this is mostly off an article from the BBC, so I can't verify it for the life of me.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuF2hA8W4Y

JJ McCullough seems to have scaled back his cartooning in order to pursue a career of YouTube superstardom. Unfortunately most of his videos have something in the neighbourhood of like 500 views so I dunno how that's gonna work out for him.

He's also launched a website called Americans that Matter with caricatures and brief autobiographies of people he considers have had lasting cultural influence on the US. Some kind of pet project that he's apparently been working on for a while.

No Iwata obituary yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WarpedNaba posted:

You could make a better case tangentially related to artificial lighting: Mankind's sleep cycle has been shifted from 2 sets of 4 hours sleep to a single block of 8 hours. Apparently waking in the middle of the night with mild insomnia was common enough that the Koran has prayers specified for just that period.

Then again, this is mostly off an article from the BBC, so I can't verify it for the life of me.

I've heard it repeated enough times across reputable sources that I'm pretty sure it's true: we used to sleep for 4 hours somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 PM (sundown) to 10 PM, wake up, socialize for 1-2 hours, then sleep again for another 4 hours to wake up around or just before sunrise.

colonel_korn posted:

He's also launched a website called Americans that Matter with caricatures and brief autobiographies of people he considers have had lasting cultural influence on the US. Some kind of pet project that he's apparently been working on for a while.

Of course Ayn Rand is on there. Of course.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard it repeated enough times across reputable sources that I'm pretty sure it's true: we used to sleep for 4 hours somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 PM (sundown) to 10 PM, wake up, socialize for 1-2 hours, then sleep again for another 4 hours to wake up around or just before sunrise.

Note that this is specifically for times when night lasts upwards of 12 hours. Nobody was doing this in the summer, I think.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

colonel_korn posted:

JJ McCullough seems to have scaled back his cartooning in order to pursue a career of YouTube superstardom. Unfortunately most of his videos have something in the neighbourhood of like 500 views so I dunno how that's gonna work out for him.

I've always considered this guy to be a Canadian who really wishes he was a right wing American republican conservative fundamentalist. I like the cleanliness of his style but gently caress is he a dumb poo poo in his uninteresting opinions, I'm not surprised people are ignoring him on Youtube.

* Oh wow I just clicked on his new articles and cartoons he's even more of a poo poo than he used to be.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 15, 2015

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Ayn Rand was one of the most influential American philosophers of all time"

Yeah, okay.

Her dependency on welfare in her later years is conspicuously absent, I notice as well.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

colonel_korn posted:

No Iwata obituary yet.

Why does he bounce so much?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Al-Saqr posted:

I've always considered this guy to be a Canadian who really wishes he was a right wing American republican conservative fundamentalist. I like the cleanliness of his style but gently caress is he a dumb poo poo in his uninteresting opinions, I'm not surprised people are ignoring him on Youtube.

* Oh wow I just clicked on his new articles and cartoons he's even more of a poo poo than he used to be.

He's got the Rall-itis, where he thinks acting like a contrarian rear end makes him better than his peers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

His latest article, the one about how all of the bands like led zeppelin, Hendrix, Lennon, Clapton and Miles are all inhuman pieces of poo poo who suck. This can only be made by someone who has never enjoyed a single moment of anything good in his entire life and is probably someone who is a sad and lonely person.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr Jaunts posted:

Yeah, okay.

Her dependency on welfare in her later years is conspicuously absent, I notice as well.

They just handwave that away the same way she did. Since she paid into it all those years she was just wisely getting her money back.

...completely ignoring that that's the way such systems are intended to work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr Jaunts posted:

Yeah, okay.

I mean. She was.

Horrible person and philosophy naturally, but she was certainly influential.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

His latest article, the one about how all of the bands like led zeppelin, Hendrix, Lennon, Clapton and Miles are all inhuman pieces of poo poo who suck. This can only be made by someone who has never enjoyed a single moment of anything good in his entire life and is probably someone who is a sad and lonely person.

Led Zeppelin were absolute poo poo and only terrible dadrock people like them

Also the whole child molestation thing

They were just real bad all around honestly

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Led Zeppelin were absolute poo poo and only terrible dadrock people like them

Also the whole child molestation thing

They were just real bad all around honestly

Yes go ahead poo poo an entire generation of musicians who pushed things forward in a huge way and whose work is still appreciated to this day, tell why we should hate their music, what a cool edgy dude you are.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 15, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Eh, he's got Chomsky on there too. And it's pretty hard to deny that Rand was influential considering that the modern-day GOP still subscribes to much of her ideology. Overall I think the site is pretty inoffensive though kinda bland aside from the caricatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

Yes go ahead poo poo an entire generation of musicians who pushed things forward in a huge way and whose work is still appreciated to this day, what a cool edgy dude you are.

Led Zeppelin was godawful, I don't really have any opinion on the rest

• Locked thread