Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Kid, isn't the entire reason you exist that you're supposed to take your dad's job one day and will that not work according to the exact same principle by the job's very definition?

Tony De Paul, has that even occurred to you or is the concept of change so alien to newspaper strips that you think of Phantom only as a guy who lives in a cave with his kids forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kid, isn't the entire reason you exist that you're supposed to take your dad's job one day and will that not work according to the exact same principle by the job's very definition?

Tony De Paul, has that even occurred to you or is the concept of change so alien to newspaper strips that you think of Phantom only as a guy who lives in a cave with his kids forever?

This guy isn't Guran's son, and isn't waiting for Guran to die. Kit (or Heloise) will become the Phantom when the current one dies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rain On Your Wedding Day

A Black Fly In Your Chardonnay

The Good Advice That You Just Didn't Take

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rain On Your Wedding Day

A Black Fly In Your Chardonnay

The Good Advice That You Just Didn't Take

Huh. These kind of suck.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats

Check out the Cheshire Cat's grin.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/14/2004

Zits

Oh come on. They still have their clothes on.

Kevin & Kell

:v:

Mark Trail

Why? I'm sure a Chiropractor could do just as good of a job.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set celebrates history.

A&W was apparently founded in 1922, so it's a little more than 85 years old. They were savvy enough to register "rootbeer.com" back when the web was starting up, though.

Working Daze needs you to feed yourself.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix evolves.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm going out of town this week, so feel free.

The thing to keep in mind is that he's only promising a regular-ish posting schedule for Bloom County: The Re-Bloomining. Who posts it might as well come down to who figures out what that means first.

Skippy tackles a theological quandary. (May 15, 1928)

Peanuts takes on the unexpected consequences of cosplay. (July 29, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean sets up what I'm sure is a compelling time travel story (and not just weak-rear end fan service, heaven forbid) with heart-stopping standing-around-in-a-circle action.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 11-12, 1927)

Curly conduct an investigation into how long a man can bear to stay in the saddle after his pants disappear.

And Thimble Theater looks into the wages of sin. (January 30, 1929)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean sets up what I'm sure is a compelling time travel story (and not just weak-rear end fan service, heaven forbid) with heart-stopping standing-around-in-a-circle action.

I like that they're having trouble with the whole "time pool" thing despite the fact that they apparently just walked into Funky's locker and into a huge featureless black void large enough to hold all of them.

By the way, is Lisa the girl with glasses next to Les? I barely remember anything about this era of Funky.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

*ow*

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Who wants another wall of Doubting Dog Comix?

That Sunday strip reads like a Calvin and Hobbes gag. Of course, Dear Cartoonist would never waste Sunday space on what amounts to a slightly taller daily strip.

Ballard Street

Mods, please change my name to DR. BOB SOMETHING, PHD.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

*ow*

Serves him right for shooting Humphrey! :colbert:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix evolves.

I laughed at this terrible joke, and now I feel ashamed.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

This is cool-- somebody found a 19-page Sunday comics section from 1946 and put the whole thing on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robotjohnny/sets/72157653510151164

Mandrake hadn't yet discovered word balloons, apparently.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

crosshatch posted:

This is cool-- somebody found a 19-page Sunday comics section from 1946 and put the whole thing on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robotjohnny/sets/72157653510151164

Mandrake hadn't yet discovered word balloons, apparently.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I suppose that explains the sandwiches.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Lovely Horse posted:

Chin posted:

Pretty sure it's not just a story about dumb kids and might actually be an expression of unrecognized anxiety about having to grow up and take over when dad eats it.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

BROAD SUSTAINABLE BUILDING, a subsidiary of MONEY-STORING COMPLEX Inc., who are also partial owners of FOOD TO PUT IN YOUR MOUTH

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (July 16, 1957)

Peanuts: 1952 AF (Anno Football) (November 17-19, 1952)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

With his hood up like that in panel 1, Petey looks like Spidey is giving him a very special hug.

Sally Forth

[/url

The Heart of Juliet Jones
[url=http://imgur.com/FeACbEU.png]

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That warehouse in Luann appears to be actively crumbling. I highly doubt TJ got enough from his insurance scam to pay for an entirely new building.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

That warehouse in Luann appears to be actively crumbling. I highly doubt TJ got enough from his insurance scam to pay for an entirely new building.

As the owner of a brick house I can say that it's entirely reparable and for something like that no TJ did not get enough to pay for the renovations AND the building.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Poor Cinematography Comics Corner

Incoherent Location Comics Corner

Advent Of Teleportation Technology Comics Corner

This Is...

Somebody really wants to be Berke Breathed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

It just needs a little love!

F Minus

Mary Worth

Suddenly, Hanna Dingdon, making a visit to Charterstone, drives into the parking lot. "Oh look! An open spot!" she exclaims, as she blindly barrels into the space at full speed.

Rex Morgan MD

I don't picture June being this much of a luddite. Who even has maps anymore? You can at least get directions at home and just print them out.

I do like how smug Rex is though: "I have a smart cellular telephone device, June, so there." :smug:

Secret Agent X-9

I am curious as to how that's a clue.

I posted like three A3Gs and I'm already bored with it. Margo is calling some woman named Gabby "Mama" for some reason (I guess that's what kids do these days) and that's about all that is happening.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I don't picture June being this much of a luddite. Who even has maps anymore? You can at least get directions at home and just print them out.

I do like how smug Rex is though: "I have a smart cellular telephone device, June, so there." :smug:

Is that thing in the back in the last panel supposed to be their daughter? She looks like she has Downs

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

coronatae posted:

Is that thing in the back in the last panel supposed to be their daughter? She looks like she has Downs

She's been looking like Bobby Hill in a wig for a while now for some reason. Rex has also been looking really wonky lately. Look at that middle panel :pwn:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Found this while looking for something else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like how they changed Fritzi's underwear to cover her midriff in one strip and gave her a lower neckline in another. All said I'd rather GilChristIsLove rip off Bushmiller directly than come up with his own stuff. I'm also digging Nancy's old look as a mix between Philippe from Achewood and a calavera.

Stultus Maximus posted:

As the owner of a brick house I can say that it's entirely reparable and for something like that no TJ did not get enough to pay for the renovations AND the building.
On the other hand, from what I've seen of projects like this that's part of the charm and authenticity. If anything it's still too clean.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Darthemed posted:

Found this while looking for something else.

I found this worrying prediction in the archives of a wise old comic strip scholar:

Looks like it's already too late :ohdear:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

Welp, I got nothin'.

9 Chickweed Lane 7/15/2004

Brooke must've been hella bullied when he was a kid.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

How, exactly, do you "slam" tent flaps?

Mark Trail

Mark? Run into trouble? Just, like, every time he walks out the front door.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Excellent. :golfclap:

I'm debating with myself whether writing a country musician's name on Fritzi's top would be worth losing the stars and stripes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For gods sake tell your teenage son about condoms. I guarantee you after a thirty minute "the talk" he'll never do a PDA in front of you again.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
they gon' gently caress.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set are incurable romantics.

Working Daze makes a topical reference.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix finds a legal loophole.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

It might have been interesting if Humphrey had arranged with all the warriors that they'd just do fake fighting, with fake weapons. To grant Tregallion's dying wish. And the guards would be armed with blanks, or paintball guns, or whatever.

And we-the-readers wouldn't learn about this until after the 'Bloody Massacre'. Tregallion dies watching it, with a smile on his face, and then Humphrey calls a halt to the fight, and all the 'dead' warriors get up and brush themselves off.

And then Humphrey chastises the audience (and, by extension, us) for having found it exciting. "Master Tregallion found it exciting, yes, but he had a horrible brain tumor. You should be ashamed of yourselves."

If you write, I will make it better.

• Locked thread