Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Jack used to be amazing in that his repeat duel with Yusei it's not just that he was a "Step ahead" of Yusei, but each time he would counter him he would increase the amount of steps ahead he was, until finally exclaiming "THIS IS THE DUELING STYLE OF THE KING WHO IS 5 STEPS AHEAD!" He's utterly hammy and amazing.

I do like that Scar-Right is a reference to the signer mark. It almost looks like the Wings.

EDIT: Of course Yuya couldn't win. He hasn't learned to Synchro Summon yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe Crow was the exception since I can't remember anything he did in the first half of the show but all-in-all it was just worse all round.

He poached the last earthbound whale.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

paradoxGentleman posted:

As someone who hasn't watched 5DS,

Found the problem.

Dexie posted:

Guys, think our new TCG archetype is The Wizard of Oz...IN SPACE. :stare:

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=7285

It's definitely the Emerald City in that card, so, yup.

I'm down for this. I gotta admit, I was hoping for a collection of American Tall Tales like Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed or something REALLY off the wall like Batman/Superman or Star Wars, which TOTALLY count as American fairy tales, btw. But Wizard of Oz was the obvious answer for this, so, yeah, cool.

Onmi posted:

Jack used to be amazing in that his repeat duel with Yusei it's not just that he was a "Step ahead" of Yusei, but each time he would counter him he would increase the amount of steps ahead he was, until finally exclaiming "THIS IS THE DUELING STYLE OF THE KING WHO IS 5 STEPS AHEAD!" He's utterly hammy and amazing.

The part where he literally predicted all of Yusei's cards at the start of the turn was really cool. Yusei and Jack were Yugi-and-Kaiba-tier at reading their opponents and the way the show represented it was awesome. :allears:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

VJeff posted:

Found the problem.

Watching a 150+ episode series so that I can appreciate this one character is a bit of a tall order. I did give it a try, it just didn't grab me like Arc-V did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Watching a 150+ episode series so that I can appreciate this one character is a bit of a tall order. I did give it a try, it just didn't grab me like Arc-V did.

Watching the first 26 episodes should be enough to love Jack.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Don't think of it as a 150 episodes, think of it as a 64 episode one.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
you don't have to watch five deez

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

alcharagia posted:

A wrong opinion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

alcharagia posted:

This is an excellent example or a wrong and bad post.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

VJeff posted:

The part where he literally predicted all of Yusei's cards at the start of the turn was really cool. Yusei and Jack were Yugi-and-Kaiba-tier at reading their opponents and the way the show represented it was awesome. :allears:

I always loved the implication early series that yes, Yusei and Jack were in fact pretty evenly matched, and if Jack had not been so obsessed with recreating the events of their last duel, he may have very well beaten Yusei. But he was bloody determined to overcome in his own mind his shameful loss. There is never a moment one believes that Jack is a bad duelist, or that he didn't in fact earn the title of King. And they make it very obvious that despite what he did to make to Neo Domino, Jack is honorable, and very much believes in his own strength and that just because no one saw it and it didn't conclude, doesn't mean he DIDN'T lose to Yusei.

A proud an honorable hero who serves as a great foil to the protagonist, both for his hot blooded yet stoic actions and in his goals.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just watched the latest Arc V and it's weird to me just how well Jack is serving as an opponent to Yuya and a rival in regards to entertainment. He's got the entire crowd in the palm of his hand and they're chanting his name throughout the entire match. He makes perfect sense as someone for Yuya to aspire to beat or to prove his own brand of entertainment to, I can't believe I didn't think of it before this episode aired.

I just hope they're not spinning their wheels on Yuya's character development and have him go through the same arc he already has in regards to finding the drive to improve his entertainment dueling. I'm pretty confident they'll do something different though and his anger at Jack in the next episode segment seems to suggest it won't be going through the exact same stuff he's already been through. Yugioh series really haven't had the best track records of giving the protagonists continuous development or an arc that lasts the whole series, so I hope they do so this time.

Next episode also looks promising. I doubt Yuya and Yugo will actually meet but the dragons may be doing things, which could potentially shed some light on a few things related to them.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

For those that don't know, the Jack Atlas/Yugo pack was revealed to contain Psychic cards. This definitely increases the chances of a certain speculated character making a return.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
On the topic of why people like Jack so much, it's probably because he was the only character to remain entertaining across all seasons in 5DS(aside from the MC of course). Like he was a genuinely interesting character for unironic reasons in the first 64 episodes, then after the plot went to hell he just became this parody of himself that beat up entire gangs by himself and turned the devil into a trading card for no apparent reason. Even when the plot was dull he'd do something that would completely go against the tone of the series and just stay entertaining.

One of my favorite 5DS memories is one episode that was supposed to be about Crow dueling some team in the WRGP that used "darkness cards" to defeat their opponents. This episode was entirely focused on Crow and the entire duel was about him trying to avoid being injured any further(he was already injured at that point) since cards dealt real damage. After a lot of tricks he won the duel, then passed on the next match to Jack. The episode had about 5 minutes left at that point and had not focused on Jack at all. I'm pretty sure Jack didn't even have lines up to that point. Then the evil "cards do real damage" guy tried to use an explosion on Jack. A REAL explosion. The same ones Crow spent the entire episode trying to avoid. Jack seemed like he was going to die since they had established those things do real loving damage for the entire episode up to that point. Only at that point he screamed "JACK ATLAS WON'T LOSE TO THE POWER OF DARKNESS" which gave him the power to ride his motorcycle out of the explosion and OTKO the guy he was fighting against. Then after saving his opponent, he explained that he did it because "YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO DIE."

Jack's entire thing in that episode made no sense, undid all sense of threat that Crow just went under and also completely stole the spotlight from who the episode was about. None of what he did was ever acknowledged as making no sense in the show. Jack's 5 minutes actively rendered the entire plot pointless by making it seem like Crow was just being a big baby and that if you scream and pose like a Jojo character you can endure any real damage without a problem. It made no sense whatsoever but it had him riding a motorcycle out of an explosion, which was hilarious and redeemed the episode for me.

I know that's probably a childish reason to like him but yeah. Dude's scenes in 5DS were always entertaining even when the show itself was not and hey, what else can I ask for?

alcharagia posted:

Pro Tip: Apply Skull Servants

It probably says a lot about how long it has been since I played this game that my first reaction to this was "Really? Wasn't that a normal 300/200 monster or something? How will that help?"

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well its really their King who you have to be scared of.

14k max attack, lose 3k to summon again.
The keyword is 'Wight'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hopeford posted:

One of my favorite 5DS memories is one episode that was supposed to be about Crow dueling some team in the WRGP that used "darkness cards" to defeat their opponents. This episode was entirely focused on Crow and the entire duel was about him trying to avoid being injured any further(he was already injured at that point) since cards dealt real damage. After a lot of tricks he won the duel, then passed on the next match to Jack. The episode had about 5 minutes left at that point and had not focused on Jack at all. I'm pretty sure Jack didn't even have lines up to that point. Then the evil "cards do real damage" guy tried to use an explosion on Jack. A REAL explosion. The same ones Crow spent the entire episode trying to avoid. Jack seemed like he was going to die since they had established those things do real loving damage for the entire episode up to that point. Only at that point he screamed "JACK ATLAS WON'T LOSE TO THE POWER OF DARKNESS" which gave him the power to ride his motorcycle out of the explosion and OTKO the guy he was fighting against. Then after saving his opponent, he explained that he did it because "YOU DON'T EVEN DESERVE TO DIE."

Jack's entire thing in that episode made no sense, undid all sense of threat that Crow just went under and also completely stole the spotlight from who the episode was about. None of what he did was ever acknowledged as making no sense in the show. Jack's 5 minutes actively rendered the entire plot pointless by making it seem like Crow was just being a big baby and that if you scream and pose like a Jojo character you can endure any real damage without a problem. It made no sense whatsoever but it had him riding a motorcycle out of an explosion, which was hilarious and redeemed the episode for me.

Crow is completely garbage and I welcome anything that comes along to make him look like the piece of filth that he is. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I HATE GHOSTRICKS.

Slur! :argh:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Looks like the height chart for the movie may have been leaked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please tell me that Kaiba actually bought that suit for Mokuba.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

Crow is completely garbage and I welcome anything that comes along to make him look like the piece of filth that he is. :argh:

The Team Catastrophe arc was one of the few bits where Crow wasn't garbage, but, yes I agree with this and everything Hopeford said pretty much totally.

One of the few moments in part 2 I really unironically enjoyed was Jack owning his clone because he just made a ridiculous speech about what a loser he used to be and then torched his robot clone with Savior Demon Dragon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yuri is incredibly short for a main character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yuri is barely a secondary character, he's been in a episode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He meant Yugi, I think.

I'm just surprised at how short Atem is.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yes, I meant Yugi, sorry about that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Wait, who's that all the way on the right? Is Duke Devlin finally going to be canonized?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Duke was in the manga wasn't he?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, who's that all the way on the right? Is Duke Devlin finally going to be canonized?

Thanks for reminding me of dungeon dice monsters...

That surely was a thing. :raise:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

PowerBeard posted:

Thanks for reminding me of dungeon dice monsters...

That surely was a thing. :raise:

That is one of the few DM episodes that I remember, and it made me want to see more duels with that game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He meant Yugi, I think.

I'm just surprised at how short Atem is.

Atem is actually the exact same height as Yugi, since, y'know, same body. He just carries himself differently, more confident, better posture, so he looks taller.

By the time of GX, Yugi looks like Atem to represent that he's grown as confident as Atem was in his body. Hopefully, the movie will show part of that growth.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Otogi/Duke and Dungeon Dice Monsters were always canon. Yugi played DDM against Otogi himself and it was for completely different reasons than in the anime and it was way better 'cause it actually reminds you that Yugi's pretty good at games himself.

The anime took the entire DDM arc and split it up into two different things and had Marik and Bandit Keith as part of it for some loving reason. What I'm getting at here is the anime was bad and dumb and it was a load of horseshit and its filler sucked and had terrible art and animation and it is so loving cool that Darkside of Dimensions is a manga movie.

DDM was cool though I would've read like, a spinoff or something where Otogi goes around and fuckin' saves the world with dice or something.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

VJeff posted:

Otogi/Duke and Dungeon Dice Monsters were always canon. Yugi played DDM against Otogi himself and it was for completely different reasons than in the anime and it was way better 'cause it actually reminds you that Yugi's pretty good at games himself.

The anime took the entire DDM arc and split it up into two different things and had Marik and Bandit Keith as part of it for some loving reason. What I'm getting at here is the anime was bad and dumb and it was a load of horseshit and its filler sucked and had terrible art and animation and it is so loving cool that Darkside of Dimensions is a manga movie.

DDM was cool though I would've read like, a spinoff or something where Otogi goes around and fuckin' saves the world with dice or something.

It's funny because most people respond to Millenium World as "And now for this card game anime to have no card games." but honestly, Yugioh was about playing a lot of games, and Bakura as a villain was always about the RPGs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DDM became a good gameboy advance game that I enjoyed more than pretty much every other yugioh game from that period. So I think it was pretty cool all-in-all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VJeff posted:

Atem is actually the exact same height as Yugi, since, y'know, same body. He just carries himself differently, more confident, better posture, so he looks taller.

By the time of GX, Yugi looks like Atem to represent that he's grown as confident as Atem was in his body. Hopefully, the movie will show part of that growth.

I couldn't believe how much better the manga version of that was. I mean, at that point I knew the manga was simply superior, but I was not expecting Otogi to be a whole awesome thing that the anime had botched.

Speaking of the manga, Kazuki mentioned at SDCC that his favorite arc was DEATH-T, as it should be.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Talow presented a beautiful theory to me on Skype: everyone is competent until Yuya comes into contact with them, to where they then suffer from a case of high-class stupidity and incompetence. Yuya is a living idiot ball, in other words.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Character sheets for Yugi, Bakura, Tea/Anzu and Kaiba!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kaiba with the Bluetooth White Headset.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Slur posted:

Talow presented a beautiful theory to me on Skype: everyone is competent until Yuya comes into contact with them, to where they then suffer from a case of high-class stupidity and incompetence. Yuya is a living idiot ball, in other words.

Here's an alternate theory: Yuya is actually an half decent duelist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Counterpoint: The first episode. Also the fact that we for once in Yugioh history have several main characters and antagonists clowning on the protagonist without immediate recourse.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Even if he is a half-decent duelist (which he isn't), it doesn't stop him from being so stupid that it literally affects everyone around him.

Examples:

Reiji - Hypercompetent CEO of corporation. Comes into contact with Yuya. Slowly descends from being hypercompetent to leaving the penalty system on during the Battle Royale, warping everyone to opposite ends of the Synchro Dimension, and leaking too much information to the council about the Lancer's methods of attacks.

Serena - Top duelist of her dimension, a huge threat. Meets with Yuya. Immediately fights cops even though she has no chance of winning, showing no signs of pragmatism she did in the earlier episodes.

Roger - His plans are falling apart just by looking at Yuya.

Jack - We haven't seen it yet, but he dueled Yuya once. Watch him get defeated in the finals.

Slur fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 15, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Counterpoint: The first episode. Also the fact that we for once in Yugioh history have several main characters and antagonists clowning on the protagonist without immediate recourse.

In which he almost lost... to the local champion. I am not saying his save wasn't as rear end pull, but come on, it makes narrative sense for him to be in way over his head, and his "running to find the action card" trick was pretty good.

Slur posted:

Even if he is a half-decent duelist (which he isn't), it doesn't stop him from being so stupid that it literally affects everyone around him.

Could you give me some example of Yuya being stupid? He doesn't seem worse than the average anime character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Could you give me some example of Yuya being stupid? He doesn't seem worse than the average anime character.

One example?

"I have a solid-light hippo. I can trample this cop on the ceiling whose only way of stopping me is holding his arms out. Nah, gonna stay here and get arrested."