Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Deki posted:

I wonder why they brought the lovely phone game over and not the 3ds monsters games.

Probably cheaper to translate, but drat.

I was wondering why they hadn't brought it over sooner actually since it's one of their biggest money-makers at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Allarion posted:

Minecraft was not a direction I expected Dragon Quest to go in.

Wait, but you expected Musou?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

No one expects the Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

Everything is musou.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one expects the Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

Yokai Watch is getting a RoTK crossover, now that you mention it...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

You should probably only use them on your MC or the kids. Or if you really, really, really want to use the wife in your final party, you could save them for her. It isn't worth it to use them on monsters.

I think I used a wisdom one on a monster early on so it would freaking listen to me!!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So it's 3D Dot Game Heroes but with Dragon Quest?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So uh, I'm fighting the fake queen in DQ5 and she just completely curbstomps me. using the DEF down debuff only makes my attacks do like 23~ damage to her and with her constant summons (which will always silence harry or the MC which leads to Bad Things) I can't keep up.
Only one monster ever joined my party (one of those mushrooms with a hammer) and he's not terribly useful. My team is roughly level 15 with the shroom being like 5, and I have the best equipment I can get I think(?) Unless there's a store other than the castle place with better stuff at this point in time. Is this just a case of me needing to grind some levels or what

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Get a Slime Knight. Specifically, the one named Pierre. :hist101:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So uh, I'm fighting the fake queen in DQ5 and she just completely curbstomps me. using the DEF down debuff only makes my attacks do like 23~ damage to her and with her constant summons (which will always silence harry or the MC which leads to Bad Things) I can't keep up.
Only one monster ever joined my party (one of those mushrooms with a hammer) and he's not terribly useful. My team is roughly level 15 with the shroom being like 5, and I have the best equipment I can get I think(?) Unless there's a store other than the castle place with better stuff at this point in time. Is this just a case of me needing to grind some levels or what

The mushroom hammer guys suck, you're gonna have to recruit some more monsters. Way it works is that if the last enemy you kill is a recruitable monster there's a dice roll that they will join your party. I quickly picked up a slime knight and I think the abominable snowmen guys are in that area too, and I used both of those guys for the next 15 to 20 hours of the game

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Two slime knights are the best investment you can make in DQ5 because while there are a lot of monsters most of them are bad. Slime Knights, meanwhile, are mini-heroes. They have adequate offense (give them your hand-me-down gear) and are effective healers.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So going to go through DQ3 for the first time ever. Is Warrior or Martial Artist generally considered better? I think I'm definitely taking a cleric and wizard-mage-guy...unless I should take a gadabout for the class change? And if so, drop the cleric or the wizard?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ComposerGuy posted:

So going to go through DQ3 for the first time ever. Is Warrior or Martial Artist generally considered better? I think I'm definitely taking a cleric and wizard-mage-guy...unless I should take a gadabout for the class change? And if so, drop the cleric or the wizard?

Martial Artist is better than Warrior by far in the late game due to high crit rates and high speed, but they are softer targets in general due to lack of high defensive gear for most of the game.

You can always use Words of Wisdom for a class change for your priest or wizard if you don't want to lug around a Gadabout, but if you do want to take one, either the priest or the wizard would be fine. You don't need a priest if you're willing to make your hero a part-time healer, and you can live without a wizard in a game with multi-target hitting weapons like whips and boomerangs.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Hokuto posted:

Martial Artist is better than Warrior by far in the late game due to high crit rates and high speed, but they are softer targets in general due to lack of high defensive gear for most of the game.

You can always use Words of Wisdom for a class change for your priest or wizard if you don't want to lug around a Gadabout, but if you do want to take one, either the priest or the wizard would be fine. You don't need a priest if you're willing to make your hero a part-time healer, and you can live without a wizard in a game with multi-target hitting weapons like whips and boomerangs.

Cool. I think I'll go Martial Artist, Priest, Gadabout. Priest seems more useful in the early going at least for healing and such. I figure I can live without boomy spells until Sage.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I personally have never cared for Martial Artists/Fighters because they are squishy and they never get to use the fair number of items that cast spells, like the Thor Sword and the Heal Shield. I probably just regard that slot in the party as more about tanking than damage-dealing. Soldiers do fine damage with late-game gear as it is, but I should probably give the MA/F a go some day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComposerGuy posted:

Cool. I think I'll go Martial Artist, Priest, Gadabout. Priest seems more useful in the early going at least for healing and such. I figure I can live without boomy spells until Sage.

This is the correct team to take. Enjoy your two sages blowing poo poo up once you hit level 20.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
DQM Joker 3 on 3DS

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

DQM Joker 3 on 3DS

Aww sheeeet. There goes another 300-500 hours of quality gaming.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial

quote:

Martial Artists/Fighters
A big plus is that you will spend far less gold to equip them than Warriors.

JustJeff88 posted:

items that cast spells, like the Thor Sword and the Heal Shield
Correct me if I'm misremembering, but aren't these just used as items anyway, meaning anyone can use them for those effects whether equipped or not?

Somewhat Nachos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 15, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

kirbysuperstar posted:

DQM Joker 3 on 3DS

Is it even loving coming to America?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FinalTitan posted:

A big plus is that you will spend far less gold to equip them than Warriors.

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but aren't these just used as items anyway, meaning anyone can use them for those effects whether equipped or not?

Yeah you don't need to equip them to use them. Just have them in the character's inventory and select "use" in battle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Shugojin posted:

Yeah you don't need to equip them to use them. Just have them in the character's inventory and select "use" in battle.

FinalTitan posted:

Yesterday I would have sworn otherwise, but now that I think about it I believe that you are right. Last time I played through DWIII on the NES, which was last summer, I recall giving the Heal Shield to my wizard even though he could not equip it. Naturally, one would assume that any use-from-inventory item would be fair game regardless of whether or not it was or could be equipped. After all, the Sage's Stone (free group heal) can't be equipped at all... I feel really silly now. I'll keep that in mind the next time I play. I still have never finished DQIV for the NES.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anything more said on DQ VII coming over? It seems Square-Enix weren't exactly pleased with him announcing it so I'm kind of dreading a Mega Man Legends 3 situation where Square-Enix will go "not enough demand in the west, gently caress you" out of spite or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

is the DS DQM game worth finding a copy of? I'm taking a break from DQV cuz I got mad but I still want something fun to play on the go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is the DS DQM game worth finding a copy of? I'm taking a break from DQV cuz I got mad but I still want something fun to play on the go.

What part did you get mad at

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I couldn't get any slime knights to join me. I'll prolly play some today now that I'm in the mood though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slime Knights have a relatively high recruitment rate, it shouldn't take too long. Good luck

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My Slime Knight and Rotten Apple (who sucks rear end!!) died but I managed to slay the vile queen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats. The recent explosion of posts in the Dragon Quest Megathread has rekindled my urge after taking a break after beating VI, and I'm going to start VIII tonight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish you luck, gamer.

Oh and is there any penalty for just saying yes to all the monsters that want to join me?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish you luck, gamer.

Oh and is there any penalty for just saying yes to all the monsters that want to join me?

Not really. You have enough space for one of every monster if you feel like collecting them (which you won't once you realize recruiting metal slimes are a bitch).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw some people saying the boss in the volcano was brutal but I guess I got lucky since they barely used their party wide attack and I took them down with no casualties. :cheers:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Joker 2 is pretty good, Joker 1 is okayish.

The remakes that are never coming over are really good so I'm optimistic about joker 3.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Luceo posted:

Get a Slime Knight. Specifically, the one named Pierre. :hist101:

This. I didn't shoot for Pierre, but I do make it a mandatory priority to recruit a Slime Knight as soon as I'm able in every play through. They are beasts.
I think my final party the first time around was MC/Nera/the kids, followed by a Slime Knight, a Dragon, a Golem and Saber.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Joker 3 better come stateside, that's all I have to say about that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was able to get a 13 dollar new copy of DQM2 from amazon, guess they made alot of copies of it considering the price of all the others. Can't wait.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there an easy way to see if someone can equip something or not in DQ5 because 20+ hours in I still have trouble unless it's something I can buy from a shop. I end up usually just tossing weird looking equipment to each party member until it says one can equip it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there an easy way to see if someone can equip something or not in DQ5 because 20+ hours in I still have trouble unless it's something I can buy from a shop. I end up usually just tossing weird looking equipment to each party member until it says one can equip it.

Isn't there a Peep function when you select it in the menu?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I actually completely forgot about that. Oops.

In other news, Bjorn is kicking my rear end, dang.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I actually completely forgot about that. Oops.

In other news, Bjorn is kicking my rear end, dang.

Bjorn is a pretty common roadblock when I play too. Sometimes you just have to go away and level for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, that's DQ5 wrapped up. Really enjoyed it but I felt the difficulty just shot up a ridiculous amount after the dragon eyes part. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (I never went out of my way to grind before that point but I never ran from monsters) but after that point everything kicked my rear end terribly until I sat and watched a movie while mindlessly grinding. It kind of hampered my enjoyment of the final stretch but I still overall thought it was a good and fun game. Dunno which of the numbered games to play next but I'm probably going to take a break and try out DQM2 when it arrives next week though.