Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TIL: Neo Exdeath has the same anti-Blessed Kiss protection that Treedeath has.

TIL: GRAND CROSS INFLICTS CONDEMN EVEN IF YOU'RE loving HEAVY ARE YOU making GBS threads ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Chaos Run #2 and my very first Triple Crown!

Omega was 3 Calmbots and Shartz Rapid Firing, Shinryu was a released Oisuare or however it's spelled and a Wonderwanded Berserk, I forgot the Magic Lamp for NED and that meant sitting through his fuckoff phase.

I'll probly do Random next.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

:fuckoff:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Chicken Knife, Holy Lance, Rune Axe (with Equip Harps for a boost), Apollo's Harp and Hero's Rime, a full load of Hermes Sandals... finally, my team can kick some rear end in a timely manner. All I need is to clear out the Magic Tower for Holy and Flare Spellblade and I'll be set.

Wait, I should probably go through Istory Falls too, so I can get that second Aegis Shield. And there's also the Enhancer and Rune Blade for my Mystic Knight and the Titan's Axe. Those can't hurt either.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

hubris.height posted:

Anyone got some tips for a strategy on 4 crystals with bard black mage ninja and mystic knight?

Really don't wanna grind and having trouble timing the nukes to do enough damage to avoid getting owned

That's very similar to my practice run (switch Ninja with Dragoon) and I just had two people sing Swift Song until I could burn one down, then a little more speed, then a little more killing, etc etc. Give your two singers (your Bard and BM I'd say) a Main Gauche (Guardian Dirk) and an Elven Mantle (Elf Cape) and just be patient and chug potions. Like someone posted a few posts ago, even if they only sing for a second it gives you a speed point. You'll get fast eventually.

edit: everyone in the back row until you're fast, obv

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Huh, I thief-sprinted past most of the encounters on the Big Bridge except the first one (and Gilgamesh ofc).

Is that an any-version thing, or a result of GBA hyper boost?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Worst part about Monk | White | Berserker | Summoner is that It's the only Summoner party where none of the other party members can use an Air Knife to boost Syldra.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Whoa! Elemental weapons boost Summons? :hellyeah: Now I want to try a summoner.

Anyway I just beat the 4 crystals. I basically just equipped two characters with death scythes and insta killed them whenever the proc hit.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Anyone got some tips for a strategy on 4 crystals with bard black mage ninja and mystic knight?

Really don't wanna grind and having trouble timing the nukes to do enough damage to avoid getting owned

Black mage has an instant death spell but it will miss pretty often.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Decided to try almagest on exdeath. Yeah, stick with yellow dragons folks.

In other news, where's a good place for money in w2? I'm running through potions fast because of brave blade run.

And I've ruled out gil cave due to all melee classes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Go to Galuf's basement with a bunch of Gold Needles.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Go to Galuf's basement with a bunch of Gold Needles.

That's so obscenely slow on mobile though. Is there maybe a mob with a good drop to sell?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Zombie Dragons at Drakenvale. They have a guaranteed dragon fang drop.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Songlocking is still fun. Though he somehow managed to sneak in a Blaster (hence Krile's low HP), it was his only attack, and I guess I should be glad he didn't throw out an Atomic Ray instead. Only annoyance was that since I had Berserker, I had to let Bartz do the attacking while the other three did Romeo/Romeo/Swift. Though I guess I could've let Dragoon and Bard keep up the Romeo-lock while Mystic Knight joined in the attack, but this was safer.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So Chaos is supposed to be an easy run right? Because so far Gilgabot has given me Black Mage, Blue Mage, and now Bard.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

This one took a bunch of tries, but I eventually beat him without Reflect Zombies. His repeated Mighty Guards didn't help considering my main goal was to damage race him with Apollo's Harp and Dragon Lance. (It might've helped if I had gotten Equip Lances for my Berserker; Rune Axe might have cut it if not for the randomized damage). Didn't get it for MK either, but she basically spent the whole fight throwing around Phoenix Downs, so no matter there.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sax Solo posted:

Huh, I thief-sprinted past most of the encounters on the Big Bridge except the first one (and Gilgamesh ofc).

Is that an any-version thing, or a result of GBA hyper boost?

The encounters show up in specific spots. It's possible to memorize and avoid them all (except the first and Gilgamesh).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Done with run #5 and Triple Crown #3!

This is probably the lowest level I've beaten the game at, much less scored a Fiesta triple crown. Kinda proud of that, actually.

I was more than a little overconfident for NED given that I have freakin' Bard (Mystic Knight didn't hurt either), but I failed to take into account that my team's low base level made them about as durable as tissue paper, so things got a bit hairy at points. I actually lost the first part of the fight for once because I had both Krile and Faris singing stat booster songs, then he went and wiped out Bartz with a physical attack (also, I had switched Lenna from Thor Hammer to Rune Axe but forgot to put her in the front row), so I reset on that one. Second time I got to NED with plenty of Hero's Rime and Swift Song built up, Lamp'd the back, hit the Almagest part with Break Sword (because it would've been a party wipe if no one Aegis blocked, and I couldn't count on that being a guarantee), then tried to kill the other two parts quickly but evenly. That went a bit south when he got too close to unleashing Grand Cross, so I had to rush down that section, allowing the front to fire off a Meteor and wipe half my team. But since I had plenty of Swiftness built up, I got them both back up and killed it a round later.

Anyway, I think I'll sleep on what type of run I want to do next. I got 3 Chaos runs down, not sure what to do now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nasgate posted:

That's so obscenely slow on mobile though. Is there maybe a mob with a good drop to sell?
Auto-battle with Gold Needles on enemy and Mug got me three Twin Lances pretty timely (those also sell well). I don't think it's that bad, Auto-battle is pretty nice in general if you finally learn to not waste empty Phoenix Down turns because the last action is always repeated...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Shwqa posted:

Black mage has an instant death spell but it will miss pretty often.

I'll have to look up where to get it

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Surprised nobody has mentioned this.... :toot: :supaburn: But the donations have exceeded last years amount! :supaburn: :toot:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I dunno why, but this cracks me up every time. :allears:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
New run! White Mage - Berserker - Geomancer - Time mage. This is gonna be rough until I can get meteor and Holy...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sum Mors posted:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this.... :toot: :supaburn: But the donations have exceeded last years amount! :supaburn: :toot:

So we have! That's fantastic, and we have basically half the Fiesta to go! :toot:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Oh boy. Finally had time to finish my previous run and this is what I get.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm glad I just use that mod on the first page because screw going through world 1 with just freelancers.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bregor posted:

This is one of those examples of simply brilliant design that always elevate FFV for me above all other FFs. It's so brilliant and fun to pull off, and they even tell you that it's possible in the room with Apanda. The very deliberate setting and omitting of weaknesses with all bosses up to the final ones are simply beautiful. I didn't even know that part of NED can be stoned, but it goes STILL further - one part takes extra damage from Dragon Lances and you can steal one in the fight itself :allears:.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish other FF games were as replayable and challenging as 5. Like 6 has my favorite characters, story, music and everything else but I really have no motivation to replay it unless the game has been modded.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Could be far worse. I'm going to see how well freelancing through W1 goes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish other FF games were as replayable and challenging as 5. Like 6 has my favorite characters, story, music and everything else but I really have no motivation to replay it unless the game has been modded.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

This is one of those examples of simply brilliant design that always elevate FFV for me above all other FFs. It's so brilliant and fun to pull off, and they even tell you that it's possible in the room with Apanda. The very deliberate setting and omitting of weaknesses with all bosses up to the final ones are simply beautiful. I didn't even know that part of NED can be stoned, but it goes STILL further - one part takes extra damage from Dragon Lances and you can steal one in the fight itself :allears:.

Even better - the Beastmaster has three "endgame" whips - the Beastkiller, the Dragon Whisker, and the Flame Lash.

One piece of NED is a Creature (and thus crit by the Beastkiller) and one part is a Dragon (and thus crit by the Dragon Whisker) - a normal Beastmaster-involved fight usually involves all three endgame whips coming to bear. :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I replayed 6 over the Four Job Fiesta "offseason" and the whole time I was thinking that I'd rather be playing FF5 instead. I nearly finished an entire playthrough in one day this past weekend and my reaction after that was still frustration with having to wait a couple hours for RK to process my victory. :v:

Games like 6 can be fun if you artificially give yourself challenges, like no magic or no armor or playing through the second half of the game with only Celes/Edgar/Setzer, but they just don't match up to the fun level of a twitter robot telling you what you can and cannot do. From a gameplay standpoint, I prefer 5 to pretty much any other FF at this point.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

At least we have Carbybot for offseason now? :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

At least we have Carbybot for offseason now? :v:

Hell yeah! I didn't play through in this past offseason though and it really got me ready to roll once this Fiesta started. Depending on how many runs I finish this summer, it may be the same situation.

My week-long vacation coming up just got shifted and we'll be staying in a cabin with electricity instead of a tent, so.... :getin:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

The Mirage Vest refresh glitch even works with a Monk switching their bare hands... this game is incredible

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Run #3: Team 750 - Black Mage / Red Mage / Geomancer / Chemist

Third run, second triple crown. Chemist is so loving broken. But then again so is Omega so gently caress that robot. Between !Mix and !Dualcasted Flare, the endgame was a cinch.

Surprisingly enough, Rodz and his team never broke a rod. :v:

Might do another Random run, I think I like mixing physical and mage jobs best.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Finished my (probable) final run, and managed to get a triple crown!

I didn't get a proper screenshot of Omega since I went AFK while he quickleaked to death.

Thank goodness Red Mages can equip Excalipoor so I could catch a Crystelle. Most of the party wouldn't have been able to survive Almagest without Mighty Guard.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Bregor posted:

The better option is using banish, so he gets sent to the void's void. Also, the book that explains that using Giga Flare leaves you defenseless is a nice touch and does give you a hint to try some stuff.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Final Fantasy IX with V's core mechanics would run the risk of becoming my most played game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Victory! At my first ever attempt at a Fiesta, and the first time I've actually played this game to completion!

Team was Berserker/Berserker/Samurai/Berserker. After Sandworm, most of everything got murdered without too much effort (as long as I had the proper gear going in), with the final boss being the only major obstacle afterwards, but that mostly just being preparation and RNG, and even then, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was trying to beat Sandworm with four berserkers.

Now I actually want to start up another run, and see if I can get a set of jobs that aren't as soul crushing as this was at times.

• Locked thread