Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Previously the beta access was only for the new game coming out next year, and only from level 5 ($75) upwards, no you're getting beta access (to the new content) for existing games for pretty much all levels.

Shits super confusing to me, is this a new project or updates to existing ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

Shits super confusing to me, is this a new project or updates to existing ones?

The campaign is ONLY for updating the existing games.

Edit: They should have probably not mentioned the new game, since it has nothing to do with the campaign really, other than maybe in the "we're working full time on this new game, we need additional ressources if people want us to continue expanding GSCE" sense.

Edit2: Then again, they had to mention it since beta access is a major perk. Let's just say the way the campaign is set up is unfortunate :)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 4, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

OhsH posted:

So uh... if i already got it im getting beta?

Since I too already have gsce, I went with the 100 dollar package. If pcars2 can get backers based on some questionable flat level, these bitches can hold on to my money based on how good the super kart is.

osker fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 4, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
So if i dont throw money at this i still get an updated gsce, gotcha.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OhsH posted:

But from the look of things they're basing how much new stuff gets put in GSCE off how much they make. So right now they've confirmed they're adding SuperV8 and the Lancer Cup along with Montreal Modern and Velo Citta. So presumably the next milestone would be the Copa Montana pickups then Formula V10 then Rallycross and finally Super Trucks which is what everyone really wants.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

OhsH posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just backed it since I've spent a good chunk of today playing Copa Petrobras and having a blast and apparently all that game's stuff is in GSCE so might as well get it at last.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Project Cars is $34.99 on GMG right now in the "VIP" section (The I registered for the site section) Probably a good time to get it

e: gmg is green man gaming I should probably specify that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think f12015 comes out in like three days :unsmith:

it's not going to be good is it

It's july 10 for europe, july 21 for north america :argh:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
its a codemasters game that isn't DIRT Rally, its not going to be a sim

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

IceAgeComing posted:

its a codemasters game that isn't DIRT Rally, its not going to be a sim

Why don't you just give it a few days to see what people are saying? Everything I've read about it is very positive.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

they did say they made a whole new engine

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Admittedly I was skeptical about DIRT Rally when I first heard of that; perhaps things will be different to normal

I would be very surprised though

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why don't you just give it a few days to see what people are saying? Everything I've read about it is very positive.

Well my copy (yes I bought a physical copy, it was £8 cheaper) shipped today so hopefully I'll be able to play it on Thursday.

Also, Assetto Corsa in actually decent UI shocker. Hopefully the polish they're putting on it for the consoles will lead to them improving the AI to acceptable levels.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ethanol posted:

they did say they made a whole new engine

I heard similar things from Honda and Renault..

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Riso posted:

:thurman:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Riso posted:

:boom:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

I checked out the Steam forum for this the other day (god knows why), and everybody is up in arms that they took out the Career mode. Apparently it's now "Pick a driver - you're them for a year" instead of the "create your own name, start from scrub tier and work your way up" mode that it used to be.

Riso posted:

:drat:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mootallica posted:

I checked out the Steam forum for this the other day (god knows why), and everybody is up in arms that they took out the Career mode. Apparently it's now "Pick a driver - you're them for a year" instead of the "create your own name, start from scrub tier and work your way up" mode that it used to be.

I'm sad that this kind of progression isn't in there too, though I've seen endless bullshit videos on YouTube saying its a licencing thing because the FIA didn't want people putting themselves in the game. Though there's gonna be plenty of entertainment in pretending to be Maldonado and all that entails.

E: I haven't gotten my copy yet (thanks Royal Mail) but a list of problems was posted on another forum. People seem to be really angry about needing the day 1 patch to add in Manor. Also apparently the 2014 season cars have the wrong liveries and McLarens aren't fast enough on the straights. So most of the problems seem to be things only massive F1 nerds care about.

Oh, also the classic touring cars pack for RaceRoom is out. 4 cars for £7 or £2 each.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 9, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Mootallica posted:

"start from scrub tier and work your way up" mode that it used to be.

They got rid of that part in 2014.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've put about 20 minutes into F1 2015 on the PS4.

--looks great; has some performance issues. Nothing that affects the racing. What I've seen is stuttering in the off-track areas. I'll see how it goes with a bunch of AI in the wet tomorrow. This could also be a specific track issue as all I've played on is the Australian track.

--drives well. I don't know how sim it is nor am I gonna start barking about physics or anything. I was dorking around with Formula A in PCARS as F1 was downloading, so the biggest difference I can see is the PCARS F1-type car is livelier in terms of behavior; it seems more nuanced. Again, how real this is I dunno. They're both fun as hell to play.

--light on modes if that stuff matters to you. Has the essentials like time trial and quick race, which is all I really care about. I understand some of you dig career stuff, so sorry. Seems like you get a pretty bleh BE A LEWIS HAMILTON career or w/e

--What is super loving cool is how easy it is to change tracks, cars, and weather within the time trial mode. Seriously, it takes like 15 seconds. No backing out of menus. I love that quality of life poo poo like that.

--no idea how the AI is. Haven't played against it.

So basically it seems like a cool and good race car go fast game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just got my copy and did a couple of laps. So here's my impressions of F1 so far.

The day 1 patch to add in Manor and update everything is 2gb, so there's that.

The benchmark test crashes the game when it ends, so if you're running it to dial in your graphics settings make sure you quit out of it before the end. With my GTX 750Ti I put it on medium settings (a step up from the auto settings) and turned a couple of visual effects down and while it does drop a little for the start, once you're off and running it holds a rock solid 60fps. Handling feels good to me, I haven't put a ton of time into driving F1 cars in sims but it feels good to drive. Nice and grippy in high speed corners but exiting slow corners it will kick your teeth in if you put too much power down too quickly. Loading is fairly quick too, if you're just blasting through the menus you can be on track within a minute of starting the game up which is always nice. Modes as everyone has said are a little light but you have the basics that everyone needs like season, quick race and time trial because I am not going near the multiplayer in this game. Your weather options are either dry or wet so not much on that front.

I compared the physics to the F1 cars in Project CARS and Assetto Corsa both on Monza and it's definitely closer to AC than Pcars though I feel like I have to be way more careful with the throttle in F1.

If you have a G27, use the profiler to change your wheel rotation to 360 because there's no option for it in game. Also crank up the FFB strength to 100. Also if you're changing the button layout be aware that assigning the same button to 2 things doesn't undo the first, so you can have look right and look left assigned to the same button. Once I had the FFB cranked up and the rotation right it feels great to play with a wheel.

There's a screenshot I took of a time trial lap at Monza. You can turn motion blur off in the config files, someone on Race Department posted this.

quote:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\F1 2015\hardwaresettings open hardware_settings_config.xml and change motionBlur to false

If you turn post-processing to low then that's all you'll have to change, but you can turn off bloom and lens flare etc in the same way. Basically there's a couple of minor bugs that don't affect the actual racing and are therefore being monumentally blown out of proportion by angry nerds.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The last F1 I tried was 2012 I think, and the FFB was so poo poo that I couldn't even develop an opinion about the driving.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Race action, Hamilton was in the way so Maldonado ran into him. 10/10 realism.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Accurately simulating Pastor Maldonado's GP winning driving style is high on my priority list for purchasing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Additional F1 2015 tips, use the high camera, not the cockpit view. I switched after struggling through 2 races and holy poo poo I can actually see what's happening around me and see the track. Also Nico Hulkenberg is a god among men in this game.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

njsykora posted:

Additional F1 2015 tips, use the high camera, not the cockpit view. I switched after struggling through 2 races and holy poo poo I can actually see what's happening around me and see the track. Also Nico Hulkenberg is a god among men in this game.

McLaren-Honda in 2nd? Demand your money back, not realistic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I thought they were contractually obligated to have DNF next to their name.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

McLaren-Honda in 2nd? Demand your money back, not realistic.

Holy poo poo I was so thrown by Hulkenberg being in 1st I didn't even notice the Honda

Also I'm finding it hilarious how the Project CARS Twitter was tweeting loads about the Paul Ricard endurance race last month, then Sector 3 announced they were putting it in RaceRoom.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So raceroom... Is it enjoyable ?

Edit: Why doesn't Empty Box on youtube use triple monitors ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 15, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Raceroom is pretty great from the time I spent with it.

F1 2015 is alright. I keep going back to pcars for my formula 1 fix.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I really like Raceroom, it has become my number one game for AI racing, even before Stock Car Extreme at the moment. Not that the AI doesn't have its issues from time to time, some corners can lead to pileups. It's a bit pricey if you get everything, but then again you'll have a really good selection of series and tracks (imo).

And while I'm at AI: Is there any word on further improvements for pCars, especially in regards to AI taking certain fast corners much much too slow? I tried career mode again, this time starting in the Ginetta, and in the first race at Oulton the AI is so slow around the two fast right-handers that even at 100% I'll pull away at least a second per lap. And I'm far from being a good driver.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 15, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Work in progress. They've updated the AI for several tracks already. Despite their raving mad forums, SMS is improving the game monthly.

The AI is more aware of the player, and tends to be less aggressive as a result.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After years of getting t-boned by M. Rossi in Forza games, I really have no issues with the pcars AI at this point. Yeah sometimes they just flip the gently caress out and do something insane but 99% of the time they're pretty fun to drive with. Good enough to create some racing excitement anyways.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Good to hear they're still working on it. I can deal with AI loving up from time to time, but as long as it works it should provide a somewhat consistent challenge. This thing were I'm just driving away on one track and then not having the slightest chance on the next is frustrating.

Edit: By the way, any opinions on F1 2015 and if it belongs in the OP?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 15, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2015 is alright. Like I said earlier, it's faithful to the teams, cars, and seasons. As a racing game, there are far better options out there. Especially on the pc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Edit: By the way, any opinions on F1 2015 and if it belongs in the OP?

I think it does, now I've gotten a handle on the cars I can switch easily between F1 and the Formula Extreme cars in Stock Car Extreme and put in largely similar performances. It's setup options are limited but most of that is largely F1 regulations and the handling on the track is very unforgiving if you have all the assists on. And the AI is pretty good too, they'll occasionally rear end you in the first couple of corners but once the first lap is down and the field spreads out they're a lot of fun to race.

Also Raceroom rules, and it's starting to build a little cluster of tracks that it has and no-one else does like Macau, Shanghai (with the obvious F1 exemption) and some of the DTM stuff. Though you do need to make sure you test drive cars before buying to know whether you'll like it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ok, I'll put it in when I do the next update. It'll be a while, because I'm also thinking on reworking some of the short descriptions to say at least a bit more about car/track content.

If anyone has some additions, addendums, corrections... feel free to PM me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
As long as you mention Spa being the Dust2 of tracks, I'm fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
dude its ok, every time it's mentioned i'll just show up and remind them of the fact that

spa-francorchamps is the loving de_dust2 of motorsports

• Locked thread