Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

quote:

cooling system woes

don't forget this 1.2 bar cap as well

edit: crap, I'm sorry, it's not for E28s :(

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

NitroSpazzz posted:

Behr/Nissen is good. While you have that out do the hoses, water pump and expansion tank if funds allow. A general recommendation from the old E30 guys is flush everything very good and switch the Mercedes G-05 coolant.

IIRC G-05 _is_ BMW coolant.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

revmoo posted:

IIRC G-05 _is_ BMW coolant.

Yes BMW coolant is G-05 spec, they've just noticed less failure of plastic parts running the Merc blend versus the BMW blend. Whether there's any actual difference I'm not sure.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Seriously what the gently caress is the problem with BMW and cooling? Why is this such a BMW thing? Does someone make a pump+hoses+radiator+etc cooling package made from unobtanium that would permanently solve this?

i feel like im in the beginning stages of bmw cooling system grief. soon i will pass the bargaining stage and will join the rest of you in acceptance.

edit: ok having simmered down a bit this guy seems to be the voice of reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mco77TK94GU

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 14, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Engines that run hot as gently caress on purpose and plastic that can't handle the heat cycling any better than other brands plastics.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

NitroSpazzz posted:

Behr/Nissen is good. While you have that out do the hoses, water pump and expansion tank if funds allow. A general recommendation from the old E30 guys is flush everything very good and switch the Mercedes G-05 coolant.

I don't trust nissen anymore since the last part I bought (a condenser) was a Taiwanese made POS in a nice nissen box.

That said, I'm almost done with the CAD for my all aluminum expansion tank that I'll be making for e28s.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I think BMW cooling systems are just cursed, even their full aluminum transmission coolers on e36 autos develop pinhole leaks at specific points, which, while not catastrophic, will eventually clog up half your radiator with dirt-encrusted tranny fluid. It's uncanny how similarly they leak, I did a double take when I saw pictures of someone else's cooler, which had dirt in exactly the same pattern as mine. I imagine if you leave it alone for long enough the dirt will form an upside down crucifix.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ahahha gently caress whatever dude installed this lower hose clamp so the screw is facing downward and towards the radiator support so that the only way to get to it is from underneath at an incredibly awkward angle, or maybe with a ratchet and a bunch of wobble extensions

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

I don't trust nissen anymore since the last part I bought (a condenser) was a Taiwanese made POS in a nice nissen box.

That said, I'm almost done with the CAD for my all aluminum expansion tank that I'll be making for e28s.

This is one of the big reasons I want to buy a TIG machine, then I can make aluminum expansion tanks, and coolant necks instead of stupid plastic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rscott posted:

ahahha gently caress whatever dude installed this lower hose clamp so the screw is facing downward and towards the radiator support so that the only way to get to it is from underneath at an incredibly awkward angle, or maybe with a ratchet and a bunch of wobble extensions

Can you leave it on the radiator and just remove the side that attaches to the engine? You are replacing the hoses too, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You are going to replace the hoses right? Just cut the hose.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I got it off with about a foot and a half of extensions, was actually easy when I had the room to turn the ratchet

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Sup yall. I'm pretty close to buying a 2013 328i coupe. Anyone here have one? Love it/hate it/indifferent?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

sigmachiev posted:

Sup yall. I'm pretty close to buying a 2013 328i coupe. Anyone here have one? Love it/hate it/indifferent?

Decent car. Great with a 6-speed. iDrive (if equipped) is a little pokey, but functional. Back seat isn't even too bad once settled, but ingress/egress is not graceful. Expect to have to do the cam cover gasket soon if it wasn't already replaced.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Pierced Bronson posted:

Decent car. Great with a 6-speed. iDrive (if equipped) is a little pokey, but functional. Back seat isn't even too bad once settled, but ingress/egress is not graceful. Expect to have to do the cam cover gasket soon if it wasn't already replaced.

Thanks man. It's not a done deal so stuff like this is good to know. The idea is pretty much 2012-2013 E92 and I've found a couple reasonable deals. One was 28k at 11k miles, other was 27k at 52k (both 2013). More than slightly concerned about the latter of those due to mileage but we'll see what kind of haggling I can do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Parked next to a bunch of new M3/M4's as cars and coffee this weekend. I didn't take pictures because I never bring a camera. Wish I would have seen them lining up this shot so I could have at least closed the hood.

Need to find the spare foglights and replace that one, didn't realize how yellow it was until this picture.

Hood up is good for hiding the random business cards and contact info people leave in case I sell

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

sigmachiev posted:

Thanks man. It's not a done deal so stuff like this is good to know. The idea is pretty much 2012-2013 E92 and I've found a couple reasonable deals. One was 28k at 11k miles, other was 27k at 52k (both 2013). More than slightly concerned about the latter of those due to mileage but we'll see what kind of haggling I can do.

Why is the higher mileage car not much less money? If it's because it has the M-Sport package then I might spring for that; that package really completes the look of the car and you get better seats and a better steering wheel.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Pierced Bronson posted:

Why is the higher mileage car not much less money? If it's because it has the M-Sport package then I might spring for that; that package really completes the look of the car and you get better seats and a better steering wheel.

Actually the 28k one has the M-Sport. The 27k w/ high miles has a more custom interior (I wouldn't say it's better though). I don't like it as much but it was still a relatively (to everything else out there) solid option. This is the first time I've thrown down some serious money for a car so I'm being pretty choosy with everything.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

sigmachiev posted:

Actually the 28k one has the M-Sport. The 27k w/ high miles has a more custom interior (I wouldn't say it's better though). I don't like it as much but it was still a relatively (to everything else out there) solid option. This is the first time I've thrown down some serious money for a car so I'm being pretty choosy with everything.

Moot point now, the better one is coming down on price so if I get anything it'll be that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ugh ok ok so maybe not an e39. an e46 will surely not eject its own guts every 50k miles, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fyodor posted:

ugh ok ok so maybe not an e39. an e46 will surely not eject its own guts every 50k miles, right?

Sure... you just keep thinking that...

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
e39 and e46 are generally considered the same generation of bmw, and therefore share much of the same cooling system design and materials. Not that there's all that much change with the ancillary stuff from decade to decade anyway...

fwiw my e46 330ci just hit 65,000 miles and has nary a cooling problem to speak of, where my old e39 530i's water pump gasket weeped a bunch starting at about 40k. Both cars have the same engine and therefore should have the same water pump. I should start saving up I guess.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

fyodor posted:

May not be applicable but even my E60 had a lot of the common cooling problems. Pinhole leaks everywhere etc.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The expansion tanks are really the "common" weak point on the E46 cooling system anyway. Lots of people go well over 100k miles on the original t-stat and waterpump, which isn't really a bad service life for either of those items. The radiator hoses aren't really common failure points either, but they get replaced with everything else since the old hoses won't necessarily seal up well on the new parts. It's still less than $400 to do everything with quality parts and none of it is difficult to do yourself, so it's really not a huge deal.

For what it's worth, I'm hovering around 90k on all original stuff and I'm not super concerned. I'll be replacing it this month along with a ton of other maintenance items, but mostly just because I might as well do it all in one go.

Edit- Bottom line is that E46/E39s don't really have lots of random cooling problems, just a few specific things that should be addressed if you want the car to be reliable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
All you guys bragging about your high mileage cooling systems are asking for it! You better not be typing in earshot of your cars

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
god dammit Jalopnik

That's the exact year of my 540i, same price I paid three years ago, and the same mileage as my car, nearly. I have to pick NP because I want to believe I could sell my car for that much, even if it's in the shop and has rust and has a notchy shifter and needs front brakes and...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

All you guys bragging about your high mileage cooling systems are asking for it! You better not be typing in earshot of your cars

I've had five BMWs in the '97-05 range survive on original cooling systems well past 80k miles. :smug:

because other drivers managed to kill them all before their cooling systems could finish the job

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CornHolio posted:

god dammit Jalopnik

That's the exact year of my 540i, same price I paid three years ago, and the same mileage as my car, nearly. I have to pick NP because I want to believe I could sell my car for that much, even if it's in the shop and has rust and has a notchy shifter and needs front brakes and...

I have a feeling most people are choosing nice price without actually checking how much that car's really worth.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Has anyone here done spark plugs and/or belt tensioners on a V8 E39 before? Both need to be done on my M5 and I'm trying to figure out whether I can do them myself or should just pay a shop.

Doing the plugs looks tedious and hard to reach, but not too bad with the right tools and socket extensions. I've done plugs on a WRX before, surely this can't be much worse, right? Any thoughts?

I'm also planning to do rear brakes and new fluids in the diff and transmission.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

the milk machine posted:

Has anyone here done spark plugs and/or belt tensioners on a V8 E39 before? Both need to be done on my M5 and I'm trying to figure out whether I can do them myself or should just pay a shop.

Doing the plugs looks tedious and hard to reach, but not too bad with the right tools and socket extensions. I've done plugs on a WRX before, surely this can't be much worse, right? Any thoughts?

I'm also planning to do rear brakes and new fluids in the diff and transmission.

On the M62 it's easy. Just replaced the main tensioner a few months ago, did the spark plugs a couple of years ago.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Cool thanks. I have the E39 Bentley manual, but it doesn't cover the M5. The plugs and tensioners don't look wildly different between the M62 and S62, so I'm feeling confident-ish.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I just noticed my E46 coupe is missing the 3 or 4 clips that go through the bottom of the front bumper to secure it to the undertray. I've had a look at realoem but it doesn't specify what fasteners go where on either the front bumper section or the underside trim section.

Does anyone know which clips are the right ones?

I think it might be 51118222901 but im not sure

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

fyodor posted:

If you don't like doing preventative maintenance, I humbly suggest BMW is not the brand you seek.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I have a feeling most people are choosing nice price without actually checking how much that car's really worth.

Depends on location. $6k for an e39 540i 6-speed in good condition would be a pretty good price in my area. I was looking at 540s before I decided on another E46, and well-maintained examples that haven't been beat to hell go for anywhere from $5k to $8k around here. You can buy a beater 540 for nothing, but you won't find an example that's actually been cared for cheap.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you don't like doing preventative maintenance, I humbly suggest BMW is not the brand you seek.

Preventative maintenance is fine. I suppose what worries me are the people who make it sound as if you can't trust the car to not strand you somewhere at any moment.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fyodor posted:

Preventative maintenance is fine. I suppose what worries me are the people who make it sound as if you can't trust the car to not strand you somewhere at any moment.

As long as you've replaced the parts "recently" it's not a huge deal. Just know if you haven't and they are old, that's the part that will likely fail.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Depends on location. $6k for an e39 540i 6-speed in good condition would be a pretty good price in my area. I was looking at 540s before I decided on another E46, and well-maintained examples that haven't been beat to hell go for anywhere from $5k to $8k around here. You can buy a beater 540 for nothing, but you won't find an example that's actually been cared for cheap.

I think like most 10+ year old BMWs there's essentially a price floor in that 5-8k range for anything desirable, depending on the specific area and model.

You either buy a well-maintained specimen for 7k or you buy a beater for 4k that will need 3k in work within 6 months. You end up spending the money one way or another, so it depends on how much of a project you want.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fyodor posted:

BMWs that have had ALL the proper preventative maintenance done are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Think of it like a Boeing or an Airbus, not a Toyota.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Buddy of mine just picked up a nice 2000 Z3 2.8 5-speed.

He took it to a shop and it needs a power steering hose, front struts and was throwing codes for a crankcase ventilator and MAF and maybe an O2 sensor. The A/C wasn't blowing cold air but the compressor was turning on. But it had new tires, new brakes, a great clutch and the cooling system was new. The top was in perfect condition too.

The dealer was going to fix the A/C (read: probably charge it and not fix wherever it leaked from) and he got it for a little over $10k (it was listed for $12k). He's happy because he's also paying $20/month for some kind of extended warranty (that covers the A/C system and then some), but I figured it would be an $8k car tops.

He traded in his E60 545i that he's had for about a year because he missed his Z3 (he had a 1.8 previously). I personally think he should have held out for a better one for a better price but on the other hand it's convertible season and he's in Texas, so that may have been a decent price. Thoughts? It's bright red and really nice looking at least. Low mileage too, about 80k.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I love my e46 so much that i'm scouring the west coast for an e46 wagon or an e91 to replace my wife's 2013 VW sportwagen tdi, cause gently caress fuel economy.