Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nate Silver has a good breakdown of the "Bernie's surge = Failary Clinton" nonsense.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-bernie-sanders-surge-is-about-bernie-not-hillary/

That is a pretty good article. I wish it had more information regarding what role independents could play in the primary and whether the Dems that they are using in the polls are registered or self identified. The scope of the article is entirely on Democrats which makes sense but it leaves me with a lot of questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bifner McDoogle posted:

How does that damage his argument?

It doesn't? I'm not trying to say the article is bad (it's not), I'm just pointing out how everyone seems to so conveniently gloss over that Clinton is the wife of a former president and that's not exactly a great precedent to continue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

usbombshell posted:

Has this been posted? Trump tweeted an image with the Waffen-SS in it.
It is now deleted.

That's utterly hilarious, but what's the story behind this image's origin? Did Trump's people just do a GIS for "soldier" and not bother making sure they got the right kind? Or do trolls who know EXACTLY what they're doing pose as supporters and email this kind of thing unsolicited to the campaign, in the hopes it'll get used?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was Chaffee the one whose platform is about the Metric system?

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

That's utterly hilarious, but what's the story behind this image's origin? Did Donald "Laziness is a trait in blacks" Trump's people just do a GIS for "soldier" and not bother making sure they got the right kind? Or do trolls who know EXACTLY what they're doing pose as supporters and email this kind of thing unsolicited to the campaign, in the hopes it'll get used?

If Trump's website dealings are anything to go by, you're not gonna give enough of poo poo for your $3 graphic design job to make sure you're not putting Nazis in campaign materials.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Brannock posted:

It doesn't? I'm not trying to say the article is bad (it's not), I'm just pointing out how everyone seems to so conveniently gloss over that Clinton is the wife of a former president and that's not exactly a great precedent to continue.

I think it honestly doesn't really bug people that much and they don't feel it'll set a precedent, and even if it did, being the spouse isn't nearly as problematic as being the son/daughter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Powered Descent posted:

That's utterly hilarious, but what's the story behind this image's origin? Did Trump's people just do a GIS for "soldier" and not bother making sure they got the right kind? Or do trolls who know EXACTLY what they're doing pose as supporters and email this kind of thing unsolicited to the campaign, in the hopes it'll get used?

Its on the first page of iStock's WW2 military collection of stock photos. Hilariously enough the guy that took the photo has a brother also in the stock photo biz who also had a photo of nazi reenactors used by an American politician.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Photo_On_Candidates_Flier_Portrays_Nazi_Troops_105892153.html

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Who now will carry the torch of Metrification?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Why don't you guys do it, switch to the metric system?

Besides logistic issues, of course. Is there like a cultural point you want to make? Any reason besides cost?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Kor posted:

I'm honestly not sure if that's better or worse. "They're not actual Nazis, just guys who spend their weekends roleplaying as fascist soldiers!"

Like, I'm not gonna sit here and try to analyze what evil lurks in the hearts of historical reenactors, 'cause I don't know those guys beyond the picture, but it really doesn't make it any better.

Hey, if you're going to be a WWII reenactor, why not be the guys with the badass Hugo Boss uniforms?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

orange sky posted:

Besides logistic issues, of course. Is there like a cultural point you want to make? Any reason besides cost?

It would be really confusing for, like, six months. :gonk:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

orange sky posted:

It's one of those things basically everyone thinks we should do but no one cares. And just, compared to the issues Sanders/etc. were talking up at the same time comes off as irrelevent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think switching over to the metric system would require ratification across states that wouldn't ever ever happen?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Who?

orange sky posted:

Pure spite.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Chafee gets 0% with little effort, only going up to NH.

Webb and O'Malley got 1% with much more effort and media.

Who's laughing now?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think switching over to the metric system would require ratification across states that wouldn't ever ever happen?

Nah. As an economic/trade issue it could pretty much be legislated by Congress alone.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I understand that there are much more important things the candidates and the populace in general should pay attention to.

But at the same time, the longer the US goes on using the imperial system the more costly it's going to be when it eventually wants to change it, I think. It's one of those sooner rather than later situations, in my opinion.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Obdicut posted:

I think it honestly doesn't really bug people that much and they don't feel it'll set a precedent, and even if it did, being the spouse isn't nearly as problematic as being the son/daughter.

The argument has been done to death in this thread, but political dynasties have been a thing in American politics since the country's founding. That's not to say they're good or excusable, but even in a democratic society they're pretty unavoidable just as a part and parcel of the process of somebody entering the political sphere and accruing wealth and power. Your dad and grandfather were in politics, and in the process left you all this money, so why shouldn't you take up the mantle? I do think there is a difference between multi-generational dynasties and a husband-and-wife power couple. The former you might theoretically be able to legislate against, or create party rules to stop. Stopping two different people from holding the same office at different times just because they are or were married doesn't seem quite on the same level, and I don't think you're ever going to get enough general support to stop that kind of situation just off-hand. The Clinton "dynasty" is very different from the Bush or Kennedy "dynasties", at least until Chelsea runs for something.

orange sky posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for all the old folks, since schools do teach metric alongside imperial. You're not gonna make it through a science course without learning and having a working knowledge of the metric system. Hell, even most products on the market carry both imperial and metric measurements.

But yes, there is for some reason a large cultural component to it, and when it's what you grow up with, you're not going to be as amenable to change as somebody who just has both objectively set in front of them. It would also be super expensive in a country as large as the U.S. to replace and update everything relevant to that kind of reform.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kor posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for all the old folks, since schools do teach metric alongside imperial. You're not gonna make it through a science course without learning and having a working knowledge of the metric system. Hell, even most products on the market carry both imperial and metric measurements.

But yes, there is for some reason a large cultural component to it, and when it's what you grow up with, you're not going to be as amenable to change as somebody who just has both objectively set in front of them. It would also be super expensive in a country as large as the U.S. to replace and update everything relevant to that kind of reform.

Yeah, I get it, it makes sense.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Obdicut posted:

We're very likely to get Bush vs Clinton in the general, which means that since 1988 6 out of 8 elected terms have been held by two families. If this was anywhere else in the world we'd be denouncing it as a clear example of oligarchic tyranny.

Russia is (rightfully) criticized for their transparent swapping between Medvedev and Putin. The Bush/Clinton families is a step beyond that.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Kor posted:

The argument has been done to death in this thread, but political dynasties have been a thing in American politics since the country's founding. That's not to say they're good or excusable, but even in a democratic society they're pretty unavoidable just as a part and parcel of the process of somebody entering the political sphere and accruing wealth and power. Your dad and grandfather were in politics, and in the process left you all this money, so why shouldn't you take up the mantle? I do think there is a difference between multi-generational dynasties and a husband-and-wife power couple. The former you might theoretically be able to legislate against, or create party rules to stop. Stopping two different people from holding the same office at different times just because they are or were married doesn't seem quite on the same level, and I don't think you're ever going to get enough general support to stop that kind of situation just off-hand. The Clinton "dynasty" is very different from the Bush or Kennedy "dynasties", at least until Chelsea runs for something.

Also the Adams "dynasty," the Harrison "dynasty," the Roosevelt "dynasty," to say nothing of all the other attempts (Bob Taft, e.g.). We may have had more related presidential candidates than not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Medvedev and Putin aren't related, and the baton hasn't been passed to a second generation of either last name, and you're assuming the reason that Putin (and his stooge) keep getting "elected" is for the same reasons Bush and Clinton would be (that is, with no examination of the integrity of the democratic process of the former).

It's a really poor analogy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Probably the former. At one of the recent Democratic National Conventions, the "the rah rah military" backdrop was made up of Russian warships with a European aerobatic team photoshopped flying by. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was more carefully planned than Trump's Twitter feed.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Brannock posted:

We're very likely to get Bush vs Clinton in the general, which means that since 1988 6 out of 8 elected terms have been held by two families. If this was anywhere else in the world we'd be denouncing it as a clear example of oligarchic tyranny.

This isn't true, though. I wouldn't call it oligarchic tyranny, partially because oligarchy doesn't have to do with people being related to each other. I don't really care if someone is actually related to someone in the office before them. I don't care if my doctor's dad was a doctor, either. What would be a big problem is if Hillary Clinton was a powerful senator and Bill Clinton was President, or if Obama got made supreme court justice in an act of epic trolling and Michelle Obama became president. That is what would actually threaten the balance of our political system, that would actually affect the power balance.

I think the bigger problem behind this is that to get into and succeed in politics you generally need a patron, to make a connection with people in the existing establishment who can support you and bring you into the fold. Even the Tea Party 'insurgents' were and are supported by long-term political operatives, it's just that those operatives are citizens rather than actual elected politicians.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Malmesbury Monster posted:

the Roosevelt "dynasty,"

Unless you're referring to Eleanor and not FDR, those two were just distant (fifth) cousins, who happened to have the same surname.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brannock posted:

Russia is (rightfully) criticized for their transparent swapping between Medvedev and Putin. The Bush/Clinton families is a step beyond that.

The difference is that Russia has no real independent legislature whereas the Bushes or Clintons are constrained by Congress. Presidential dynasties are a reflection of the presidential system being bad, nothing more. Switch to a parliamentary system like a civilized country I guess

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

orange sky posted:

Yeah, I understand that there are much more important things the candidates and the populace in general should pay attention to.

But at the same time, the longer the US goes on using the imperial system the more costly it's going to be when it eventually wants to change it, I think. It's one of those sooner rather than later situations, in my opinion.

Actually it may depend! I suspect a major reason for the reluctance of adopting metric as a standard is that America had many, many manufacturing industries, and machines can be awkward to retrofit to allow for cleaner manufacture.

Most machines now, (and this could just be my experience) usually have more flexible options for production, either as a result of more easily swappable parts, or inherently flexible means of manufacture, such as laser cutting for sheet metal.

I think it may actually get easily as more time goes on, especially as more and more engineers and scientists are educated with the metric system as a primary system of measurement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am eagerly awaiting candidates response to this

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/15/obama-naked-prostitutes-kenya-support-homosexuality_n_7802178.html

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The real reason we won't switch to Metric is that Football fields are 100 yards long and you get 4 downs to go 10 yards. You can go to hell with your 91.4 meter fields and your 9.1 meter 1st down plays.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Gyges posted:

The real reason we won't switch to Metric is that Football fields are 100 yards long and you get 4 downs to go 10 yards. You can go to hell with your 91.4 meter fields and your 9.1 meter 1st down plays.
The Canadian Football League still uses yards to measure their fields :eng101: Though it's 110 yards for some reason so there are two 50-yard lines.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I...I don't understand. Is the sight of 5,000 naked Kenyan women supposed to cure Obama of supporting gay people?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

According to Pink News, Kidala confirmed authenticity of the missive, telling local media that his party is to hire “prostitutes” to bolster numbers for the protest. He added that the prostitutes would work for free as they’ll lose business should homosexuality be made legal.
:confused:

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Oh Jesus.

I'd say our conservatives could learn a thing or two about protesting like this, but then I remember that the most active part of the base is 60+ years old...

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Brannock posted:

Oh. In context it really, really did come off as a criticism, which confused me a bit since the dynasty argument isn't really germane to his point. For what it's worth I've heard the dynasty arguement a fair bit in real life and also here, but I don't consume much in the way of mainstream media so I can't really make a judgement there.

I agree with you that so many candidates coming from two families is a clear demonstration of how horribly incestrous American politics can be, but I don't really buy the dynasty argument as applied to a single specific candidate. Take Ted Kennedy, he never would have made it as a senator without his last name. But despite that he was an effective and progressive senator. Him being part of a dynasty shows that something is very rotten in politics, but holding that against him as an individual would have kept a useful man out of the senate.

It helps that Hilary was in politics long before she even met Bill, so she isn't exactly a political gold digger. It'd be different if it was someone like Michelle Obama, who doesn't really have the background other than being First Lady, or GWB, who was not at all qualified to be president and would have gone nowhere without the name. Clinton seems at least as qualified as any other candidate and while there can be no question that she's done a lot to leverage the privledges that being First Lady have afforded her doing so has required active involvement on her part.
To condense it into a sentence: Hillary position definately come with privledges but said privledges were used to advance policies and not just her career; that leaves a record that can be analyzed and either attacked or championed accordingly. Compare that to say GWB, who had all the benefits of name recognition with no effort and, coincidentally, a very weak set of qualifications and a relatively short list of accomplishments (which meant there was very little baggage to attack). There longer the policy trail, the more you know about the candidate and the weaker the dynasty argument becomes - and as you noted that policy trail Hilary left behind is extensive and leaves quite a lot to criticize.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 15, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It's also because a vast, vast majority of the American people don't see a problem with Imperial so they could not care less if it's changed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

I...I don't understand. Is the sight of 5,000 naked Kenyan women supposed to cure Obama of supporting gay people?

Apparently, they think his support of gay marriage stems from not really understanding gender differences. No, really.

quote:

“The procession shall be carried out by approximately 5,000 totally naked men and women to protest President Barack Obama’s open and aggressive support for Homosexuality.

“The party’s main objective is for him to understand the difference between a man and a woman.”

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Again, seriously, what? Are secretly gay Kenyan men soliticing prostitutes? Is the Kenyan government afraid that straight Kenyan men will turn to the evils of man-buttfucking?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

orange sky posted:

No, the world's about as metricized as it's going to be. The reason why the US hasn't switched is plain simple inertia, but in the "I have to learn this whole new language" sense rather than any other traditional position.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Unless you're referring to Eleanor and not FDR, those two were just distant (fifth) cousins, who happened to have the same surname.

I think a case could be built (based on what I remember from the Ken Burns doc) that FDR was inspired to the presidency by and ran on the legacy of TR, even if they weren't closely related. I think claiming it as a sign of American oligopoly would be ridiculous, but I think the same of the Bill/Hillary accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alter Ego posted:

Again, seriously, what? Are secretly gay Kenyan men soliticing prostitutes? Is the Kenyan government afraid that straight Kenyan men will turn to the evils of man-buttfucking?

Basically, gay rights in Africa are still at the "explaining what the gently caress homosexuality is" stage.

• Locked thread