Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria 1.3 has a lot more space and science fiction than it used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

terraria 1.3 has a lot more space and science fiction than it used to

Fair's fair, but once you've conquered the world where else can you go but up?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Starbound uses 200+kbps Ogg Vorbis for all its music, Terraria uses 48kbps WMA 9. That's part of it. Not much, but still a part.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so how is it that Terraria is 98mb, but Starbound is something like +2gb? I know there's more music in SB, but... not THAT much music.

Last time I attempted starbound it came with something like a 700mb executable that was duplicated several times since all downloads included all OSes and several different rendering api versions. One of the Windows exes was stripped properly and was almost responsive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

3 gb to download this hot garbage :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

~1gb of 60+mb executables, probably another couple hundred in smaller ones
1.2gb of "packed" assets.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 14, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

do you still have to redownload the entire packed assets folder with every update or did they fix that?

also I'm glad I held off on doing NPCs for my mod, there's a bunch of poo poo coming for them apparently.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Just played through terraria for the third time with a buddy, for the new patch and totally spoilerless, and it was fantastic. I wonder if starbound is still a steaming pile of shi-

Vib Rib posted:

The big problem(s) with Starbound is basically what everyone's said already: that it has no idea what it wants to be. It feels like it's afraid to really set out on its own, but neither does it settle in towards a more familiar and reliable comfort zone. If it was just Terraria with worldjumping and a space theme it could have been incredible and fun, and if it had truly broken out and tried all new stuff it could have been really fun too, or at least, if it failed then, it could have said it tried. As it is it feels like it doesn't want to take any chances, so it's playing both sides against the middle and nothing good is coming from that.

It has totally randomized enemies, with no distinct loot tables. So you miss one of the fundamental parts of Terraria, which is getting solid rewards for killing enemies. Gel from slimes to make torches, hooks from skeletons to make grappling hooks, useful accessories from miscellaneous mobs, even building blocks and decorations. Hunting mobs in Starbound is basically pointless. You don't get anything from them worth caring about. In Terraria, every kill feels like it could go towards something. Hell, in the latest update, you get banners every 50 kills which look snazzy, act as trophies, and even give player bonuses.
So Starbound severs all that to have randomized enemies, but then it doesn't offer anything new to compensate, because it's too scared to go out and do something crazy with it. The enemies could be totally bizarre and have weird attacks and movement patterns, making all of them unique and weird and fun, but it's worried about "balance" and poo poo and has the player die in like 3 hits even with armor, so these unpredictable and fun enemy patterns/abilities don't matter. Everything just runs at you.

(In fact, Starbound has basically no loot tables to speak of, and even most chests lack anything interesting. When was the last time you opened a treasure chest in Starbound and actually went "Ooh!"? The only thing I guess I've ever liked finding is an instrument, and that's just so I can dick around with ABC songs. A game like this without loot is crippled.)

By that same token, Terraria has premade weapons. But by the time you get to the endgame, you've seen all kinds of wild poo poo. Bows that shoot swarms of bees. Magic launchers that create killer rainbows. Firework staves and huge flaming swords and mouse-controlled magic missiles and huge swinging flails of shadow and chainguns and stake-launchers and piranha guns and even crazier stuff. So everything's premade, and it's never different, but it gives you so much opportunity to see really wild effects.
In Starbound, they go for randomized weapons, but again, they're afraid to go wild with it. So like 99% of weapons are just boring garbage. "Here's a sword. Here's a sword that's slightly stronger, but slower". They want to have things both ways, so they also have preset weapons, but as a result, they're the only ones that matter, and they're all boring as hell. They're so basic and uninteresting, but all the random ones are just as plain. There are like half a dozen "special" melee weapons in the game, but those are all premade and only have variable stats. Finding a bone-launching axe-club thing was awesome, until I realized it wasn't randomly generated, and that effect was one of the only ones that existed. It felt very much like Borderlands syndrome, where you got random guns, but they were almost all just slight stat differences, and the only truly unique stuff (bouncing bullets, spiral shot patterns, etc) were restricted to unique, premade weapons, rather than thrown whole-hog into the randomized pools.

Starbound wants it both ways, but it doesn't manage either one.
It's got two options for redemption at this point: either go loving wild with your random generation and revel in it, stop holding back and worrying about fitting a standard and just let the weirdness of the universe take over and define the game -- or rip out all the held-back random weapons/enemies entirely and go fully premade like Terraria does, so you can more carefully balance and differentiate the equipment.
But for both paths, make the poo poo you add different. Stop with the boring "different only in stats" weapons, stop with the constant "walks at you to hurt you" enemies. Terraria has so many examples of success in both enemies and equipment, surely Starbound could do something with everything they have. Whether they go randomized or preset, they could succeed, but they need variety. Right now for all their touted generation their content is more samey than anything, and everything handles the same way.

Or hell, throw that all out the window (like a lot of people who play to relax or enjoy with their kids already do) and just focus on beefing up exploring and building. There's a lot to be said about that, but when every planet of the same biome feels exactly the same, what's the point of visiting more than one? Sorting into biomes shouldn't make for identical planets, just for broad themes.
And speaking of going only halfway, building itself is a perfect example. We have all these decorations, hundreds of furniture/deco items and building materials that all look really nice and could make for a pretty fun base! But the crafting menu is a mess and the only way to get 90% of the items in the game is to visit a village and just steal entire loving houses. Oh, did you find a really nice looking block you want to make your base with? Well you have to find someone ELSE'S base first and rip the whole thing up, because you can't even craft walls, let alone dressers and tables.

Stop holding back and just do something. Jesus.

oh lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Lmao that no mans sky is going to be out and complete with more content and thought out ideas in a shorter time, smaller team and way higher production values

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But they've shown almost no actual gameplay footage of NMS. Even in the E3 demo where they complained about how little time they had, they spent a huge chunk of it just scrolling through their starfield, which I guess would impress people who didn't understand what "procedurally generated" meant. But "we've got a lot of stars" is basicallly something they've been saying since day 1, so I don't understand how that was prime time material. We've seen basically nothing as far as moment-to-moment gameplay goes. I'm not saying it'll suck but we still barely know anything.

Wasn't it so many people excitedly leaping on a barely-understood space game with cherry picked promo footage that got us into this mess in the first place?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Your missing the point My friend it Will be out and complete even if there is not as much content as you actually want

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm a No Man Sky doubter. I think it is going to be empty as poo poo. Terraria sidesteps the procedural blandness by outright saying that every generated world has the same structure just in a different configuration so they just work on fleshing out the biomes that will appear in every game world. These games that try to generate and tout "thousands of unique worlds!" always end up filling them with the same content just colored differently.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

mutata posted:

I'm a No Man Sky doubter. I think it is going to be empty as poo poo. Terraria sidesteps the procedural blandness by outright saying that every generated world has the same structure just in a different configuration so they just work on fleshing out the biomes that will appear in every game world. These games that try to generate and tout "thousands of unique worlds!" always end up filling them with the same content just colored differently.

I'm in the same boat; when I first heard the concept I was excited but after what little they've shown us I have doubts that there will be any compelling/captivating gameplay to really grab people and give you something worth sinking a lot of time into

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

coupedeville posted:

I'm in the same boat; when I first heard the concept I was excited but after what little they've shown us I have doubts that there will be any compelling/captivating gameplay to really grab people and give you something worth sinking a lot of time into

It's almost like the term "procedurally generated" is synonymous with "we can't make a good game, so let's get the computer to make it for us" with only a very very very few exceptions like terraria.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No Man's Spore

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Let's really kill the thread by instituting the rule that if you want to post you have to name a good procedurally generated game before you say anything and without repeating a game. I'll start:

Terraria

Okay thread's over, pack it in boys. No one can post now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're forgetting roguelikes you NERD

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mutata posted:

I thought the "flying around in space while crazy poo poo happens all around you" part of No Man's Sky looked pretty cool. On the other hand, Elite Dangerous already pretty well satisfies the "freely fly through infinite gorgeous space vistas" niche.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Procedural generation is great. It's super useful for all kinds of things and can really expand the longevity of a game.
But that game needs to have a solid foundation to begin with. You can't build the entire game just on procedural generation. It's a tool to expand, to add randomized maps and items and stuff. It's not a substitute for actual gameplay or thoughtfully-designed content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ToME

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Age of Empires 3 (and age of mythology and probably earlier ones too) had procedural generation on maps so you didn't know exactly where everything was, but it was still balanced and you could select the type of map. Silk Road for instance would be guaranteed to be a large land map with a long winding trade route running roughly down the center. As Vib Rib said, It was a great way to add longevity to the game, but the core of the game itself, the units, their abilities, their costs and such, weren't procedurally generated at all.

Much like Terraria, where the enemies and items are all handcrafted, but exactly where you find them and the exact circumstances and order in which you do are not.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There are shitloads of decent/good games with procedural generation. Doesn't the civ series basically always generate their maps like that?

Also

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

you're forgetting roguelikes you NERD

Also also, I haven't touched Starbound in forever and I think that won't change with the latest Terraria update

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Wasn't it so many people excitedly leaping on a barely-understood space game with cherry picked promo footage that got us into this mess in the first place?

As it's been said in the Star Citizen thread, nerds + starships = money faucet.

Part of the problem too is that when the Alpha for Starbound was released, it was actually pretty fun. It had problems (as an alpha would, of course) but I think it was actually more fun than quest railroad we have now. Like you said, the failure with Starbound is to go from that point in some direction, rather than shuffling about trying to make anybody happy.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Tools break in this lovely game. Grinding is not an admirable gameplay mechanic for an exploration based game. I wish the devs would take a hint from Terraria and remove tool durability. That would solve so much useless goddamn tedium. Then they'd only have to fix all the other grindy tedium.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Lu Yan posted:

Tools break in this lovely game. Grinding is not an admirable gameplay mechanic for an exploration based game. I wish the devs would take a hint from Terraria and remove tool durability. That would solve so much useless goddamn tedium. Then they'd only have to fix all the other grindy tedium.

The degradable tools are supposed be a consumable item. You're intended to use your MM for everything now. This would be good and not bad if the MM wasn't still kind of poo poo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lu Yan posted:

I wish the devs would take a hint from Terraria
This but for everything.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wish Terraria could steal the world jumping and maybe some of the art assets. But then Starbound would have literally no content left.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish Terraria had Starbound's modding.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish i were big

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
but then youd have to dig bigger tunnels

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

oddium posted:

i wish i were big

I wish I could see a dinosaur!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

That Terraria changelog made me go back into Terraria...where surprisingly I found myself missing an enormous amount of QoL stuff that Starbound surprisingly has but Terraria doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going back into terraria the only thing I found myself missing was the ability to dig and place multiple blocks at once.

Otherwise Terraria is 100% better I think. Starbound's interface is super bad and unreadable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Minrad posted:

I wish Terraria could steal the world jumping
Terraria will never be a good multiplayer game while hard mode still fucks up your server.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jackard posted:

Terraria will never be a good multiplayer game while hard mode still fucks up your server.

Except that doesn't really happen any more other than maybe setting a minimum gear requirement to do stuff.

OwlFancier posted:

Going back into terraria the only thing I found myself missing was the ability to dig and place multiple blocks at once.

There's a keybind for that. It's a little finicky on placement but way better than handling one block at a time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dis astranagant posted:

Except that doesn't really happen any more other than maybe setting a minimum gear requirement to do stuff.
Except it totally does because I ran a public server and found out first hand.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Minrad posted:

I wish Terraria could steal the world jumping and maybe some of the art assets. But then Starbound would have literally no content left.

i'm surprised terraria still hasn't done alternate dimensions to add more content in a limited space

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Is ur av and title text a reference to legend of mana? I love that game so much I still have my original copy with my ps1

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My friends, you seem to be confusing procedural with random

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

But they've shown almost no actual gameplay footage of NMS. Even in the E3 demo where they complained about how little time they had, they spent a huge chunk of it just scrolling through their starfield, which I guess would impress people who didn't understand what "procedurally generated" meant. But "we've got a lot of stars" is basicallly something they've been saying since day 1, so I don't understand how that was prime time material. We've seen basically nothing as far as moment-to-moment gameplay goes. I'm not saying it'll suck but we still barely know anything.

http://kotaku.com/18-minutes-of-no-mans-sky-in-action-1716115860

• Locked thread