Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

zonohedron posted:

I'd go with a few things you know he'll eat, and then most of the time feed him whatever you're eating, just mashed up / chopped up / cooked softer as appropriate. Chili for dinner? Smash up some meat (and/or beans) with a fork until there's no pieces bigger than a grain of rice and then let him attempt to shovel it towards his face holes until he finds the food hole. Roast chicken and carrots? Cook some of the carrots until extra-soft, dice up some meat, put in grabbing distance. Spaghetti? Let some of it cook longer and smash it up with some pasta sauce. Some things he won't eat (and most things he'll probably need to be offered a bunch of times before he'll try them), so you want to have some food you know he'll eat on hand.

Seconded on all this but I want to add that sometimes long spagetti noodles (or any noodles) can be tough for them to swallow. What I do is take a pair of (clean, obv) scissors and cut up any long noodles right inside the bowl so they can more easily shovel them in. My wife carries a little pair of scissors in her purse for just this purpose.

e: just realized this would probably be covered in the 'smash it up' suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Sockmuppet posted:

Yeah, I'm dreading looking at them for the first time (and second and third and so on...) afterwards. I'm hoping repeat exposure and talking about her a lot might help me to deal with her death too. I have a lot of difficulty even bringing myself to get out my camera to record and take pictures in the first place, because I know that I'm not just making happy memories like when I took pictures of them together before, I'm taking pictures of my mother and my daughter together because my mother is going to die. So my husband is doing most of the filming.

I have no memories from that age myself, so I'm glad to hear that something might remain with her, if not real memories, then positive associations and "memories" of the stories I tell her.
Thank you all for the kind words.

I am so sorry that you must go through this. I can't even imagine what you are going through right now.

It is definitely possible that she will have memories. You can actually help with that, though there is no guarantee. It's often quite random what sticks with kids. You can encourage the development of long-term memory through repetition. The more you remind her of the memory, the more it will stick. Remember that memory is experienced through all senses so encourage her to think about what she feels, smells, sees, etc. Is there a book that your mother and daughter like to read together? If so, you could get one of the stuffed animals that allows you to record your mom reading the story. Then your daughter will be able to share that story time forever and it will help her to keep her real memory of reading with grandma. If your mom wears a specific perfume you could spritz the stuffed animal with that too, smell is very powerfully linked to memory. A quick google search brought up the cuddletunes bear. I think the bear would be helpful for you too as it is something she can do on her own, as it may be too painful for you.

She is definitely old enough, that if you keep telling her stories she'll have connections.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Facetiming my wife right now, and our 8mo just took 4 steps by herself. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :supaburn:

and now she's singing her congratulatory song of noises as loud as possible.

I finally saw them last week, after being away from them for 3 months. We facetime daily, so when they got off the airport she reached for my face and giggled like crazy when she could touch my face.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright, question about transitioning from a crib to a toddler bed. My son is 17 months old. We're having another baby at the end of november. Right now he's still in the crib, with all of the sides up. He doesn't like going to bed, but we put him in, he screams for like 30 seconds then passes out. Is there a good way to start transitioning him to a toddler bed? I'd like to have the crib available when the second comes along so we don't have to waste money on another one (Just get a toddler bed for the first). Any ideas?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My guy is 2.5 now but when I first took off the crib rail and put the toddler rail on I just laid on the floor with him for a bit as he was going to sleep.

The only real difference is once you take down the crib wall when they wake up in the middle of the night they can just come walk into your room. Sometimes it works in your favor though like when they decide to wake up at sunrise but then just play in their room quietly til you get up.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
We were really worried about the bed thing too, but really lucked out.

Shortly after 2, we transitioned and started with a child gate on his doorway so he couldn't leave his room. For bed time and early-early-morning we did a fairly liberal "you can get up and play with toys, but you have to stay in your room." Some nights we'd hear him playing for a bit in the dark and then go to bed, some nights he'd just go to bed.

Later, when the gate came down, he was pretty conditioned to staying in his room until morning. But he'd pop in our room on sun-up to see if it was time to get up yet. So we got one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Children...+to+wake+clocks

It worked really well. At 6:30 on the dot every morning we'd hear "IT TURNED GREEN!" and he'd run in.

Eventually the batteries in it ran out and we just never replaced them. He still stays in his room until a reasonable time.

He still wakes up in the middle of the night a few times a week, but he calls for us instead of coming into our room.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Yeah just transitioned my just turned 2 year old into his toddler bed because he was climbing out and onto the changing table and destroying his room like a rock star, silently, and covering himself and anything within reach with butt cream. Fun times.

He hates it. It might just be coinciding with a normal sleep regression at 24 months (I haven't looked it up) and general terrible two's but he will not stay in bed. He used to go right to bed, wake up once or twice, I'd give him a reassuring pat and he'd go right back till the GroClock went from stars to sun (7am) then he'd start yelling at the monitor "SUN'S UP MAMA, SUN'S UP!" It's only been 4 nights, but whoa what awful nights. I slept on the floor the first night but I've had to work the rest of the nights and he's so angry. He can reach the GroClock so he'll go gently caress with it and manage to get it to go from stars to sun and will start yelling "SUN'S UP MAMA, SUN'S UP!" all night. I put a gate in his door so he can't leave the room at least but there is a lot of yelling going on. I tried one of those rails, thinking he'd feel more secure but nope, hates it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

What if you just put the mattress onnthe floor and see if that helps?

I'm no help on this one, mine thinks he can't possible get out of his crib any other way than screaming for us and I hope that happens for a while yet ;)

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

sheri posted:

I'm no help on this one, mine thinks he can't possible get out of his crib any other way than screaming for us and I hope that happens for a while yet ;)

Same here, ours is 2.5 and has never even attempted to climb out. And to make it even funnier, he likes to climb into his crib every night with a little help from me. So he can make the more difficult climb from the floor into his crib, but has never even considered doing the opposite. He doesn't even stand up in his crib, just sits there on his knees yelling "Daddy! Where are you?!" when he wants up.

He's that cautious kid at the playground that does nothing until he's figured out exactly how it works, so I imagine it will be a while before he's brave enough to go up and over.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My 2 year old hates me right now but it has resulted in him being really easy to put to bed. Daddy go away. Mommy put me to bed. Go get mommy.

Mommy's not coming. It's daddy's turn to put you to bed. You can go to sleep with daddy or by yourself.

Go to sleep by myself.

OK, if you get up I will put you to bed.

OK.

It beats a 45 minute struggle but someone I cared about died a half hour before and "Go away daddy" isn't making me feel particularly better.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you have younger kids, and you'd like to save a fortune on play-doh, try this receipe:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Playdough-Play-doh/

It's not *identical* to the canned stuff, but so close.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm giving it a few more days, then I'm going to try mattress on floor. Last night's misadventure involved me hearing him screaming in terror over the monitor, flying up the stairs into his room annnnnndddd... not being able to find him. He rolled off the bed and onto the floor without waking up (it's very low and I have a folded up comforter there in case he fell) and rolled under the crib at some point. When he woke up under the crib he freaked out and started screaming. I turned the light on and saw a tiny foot sticking out and a very confused 2 year old yelling "MAMA I TUCK, I TUCK... I SCARED MAMA!" :( Poor bug. He went right back to bed when I got him out from under there though, and slept till 8am!

Also had his 2 year checkup today, and he's 31 lbs, 34.25 inches, so that's a gain of almost 5 lbs and almost 3 inches in 6 months! I can officially stop worrying that he eats only yogurt and cheese and milk it seems. When we got home my mom said, "So you went to the doctor! What did she say?" and he replied "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Do you have some sort of rail on the bed?

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I put one on and he freaked out. It was worse than not having one. He could still get out though, so I'm not sure what he hated about it. I'd hoped it would help him feel safer I guess.

Last night and today naptime went much better, he fell asleep on the floor both times but I moved him to bed when I went to bed at 11 and he stayed there till 5am when he started loudly demanding someone read him Hungry Caterpillar. He's only fallen out the once, rest of the time hrs climbed out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ugh, I dunno what to do. Last three days have been increasingly difficult getting my kid to sleep.

He's 5 and a half months, and up until this point he's slept pretty well. He was at the point where he'd wake up for feedings two to three times a night, but "wake up" isn't the right term because he'd basically be eating in his sleep. He's on a schedule for naps and wears his little sleep suit that stops him from ripping his skin off if we don't get his bottle fast enough, and it was going well.

For the last three days though, he has developed an immense hatred for his regular sleep routine. He will start crying the moment he realizes he's on his way to the crib or that we're going to put on his suite, whether for bedtime or naptime. He struggles and grabs and once he's in it just grunts and whines so long as we pay attention to him and sing to him or at least stay near him, but the moment we leave he just cries. So we fell back to putting him in his swing, which helped for the first two days, but now he's not even happy there, and once he gets tired enough he's not happy anywhere which brings me to now, writing this post. :v:

He's also been eating less than what he normally does and about 2/rds of the time he fights against that too, sucking for a second or two before throwing his head around or flailing at the bottle with his hands. It doesn't make any sense!

Tell me this is normal and doesn't last long, please.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Ours went through the exact same sleep issues but it only lasted a few weeks at most. We're very lucky now at 13 months she sleeps like a log most nights for about 13 hours.. Unless she's teething or its 30C at night which is ugh.

On the bottle thing, what kind of nipple are you using? Ours did that too and would sit there smacking the bottle constantly and throwing it off of her until we changed to a faster nipple. Very messy for a while after but happier baby.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Emily A. Stanton posted:

On the bottle thing, what kind of nipple are you using? Ours did that too and would sit there smacking the bottle constantly and throwing it off of her until we changed to a faster nipple. Very messy for a while after but happier baby.

Hmm. We actually changed to a faster flow nipple once already a couple months ago which helped with similar problems, it's definitely worth considering doing it again, thanks. Hadn't even entered my mind.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Ugh, I dunno what to do. Last three days have been increasingly difficult getting my kid to sleep.

He's 5 and a half months, and up until this point he's slept pretty well. He was at the point where he'd wake up for feedings two to three times a night, but "wake up" isn't the right term because he'd basically be eating in his sleep. He's on a schedule for naps and wears his little sleep suit that stops him from ripping his skin off if we don't get his bottle fast enough, and it was going well.

For the last three days though, he has developed an immense hatred for his regular sleep routine. He will start crying the moment he realizes he's on his way to the crib or that we're going to put on his suite, whether for bedtime or naptime. He struggles and grabs and once he's in it just grunts and whines so long as we pay attention to him and sing to him or at least stay near him, but the moment we leave he just cries. So we fell back to putting him in his swing, which helped for the first two days, but now he's not even happy there, and once he gets tired enough he's not happy anywhere which brings me to now, writing this post. :v:

He's also been eating less than what he normally does and about 2/rds of the time he fights against that too, sucking for a second or two before throwing his head around or flailing at the bottle with his hands. It doesn't make any sense!

Tell me this is normal and doesn't last long, please.

We had sleep regressions this at 4 months, 8 months (this one was terrible and lasted seemingly forever, but in reality it was about 2-3 weeks at the very most), and around 11-12 months before things started to settle down a bit. All these phases are temporary, just keep reminding yourself of that and stick with your routines.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
It is SO hard to hear "it's just a thing, it'll pass" but it is and it does. I remember having a very hard time around then too with my son. 18 months for us was the worst though, it lasted almost a full month. With changing him to a bed, it's been a week of struggle, but at day 11 or so, it's finally starting to get better.

I know hearing that doesn't make you feel better/get more sleep now, but it's a thing that'll keep happening at different intervals most likely, so if you can just kinda grind your teeth and resign yourself to it, it will pass. Just keep with your routine, be consistent, and try not to let them see your frustration. I know for my son the moment he senses I'm at wit's end or if I let frustration with him creep into my voice that ramps him up times 10, because (now that he's older) he thinks "She's almost cracking... if I keep it up she'll let me sleep with her!"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know that I always seem to deal with a sleep regression/phase just long enough to need to reach out before completely going crazy. It never fails to break my spirit in some way that requires outside reassurance that it's going to be okay. And then it becomes okay right after.

Hang tough.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

My 2 and a half year old boy is currently hooked to My Little Pony because I accidentally put in the wrong channel when looking to put on Peppa Pig and he seen colourful horses and went apeshit crazy.

How do I stop him becoming weird when he's older?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That show doesn't make children weird. It's adults who are already weird in the first place that coopted it and any other kids show with a weird adult audience, attempting to show everyone how different and nonconformist they are.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, my kids used to watch MLP when they were younger (as in, actually the target demographic for the show). Now that they're older, the couldn't care less because that's baby stuff. Just pretend that bronies don't exist and let your kid enjoy a show for kids.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

GlyphGryph posted:

My daughter recently went through this phase as well - bath, feed, 45 minutes of screaming, bed - and it turned out that feeding her an extra bottle in the evening before her bath made it so much easier to put her down.

If your kid's not eating well as well it may just be that he's hungry at bedtime hence the resistance to sleep, but I don't have any solutions for how to deal with a difficult feeder. =/

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

reformed bad troll posted:

My 2 and a half year old boy is currently hooked to My Little Pony because I accidentally put in the wrong channel when looking to put on Peppa Pig and he seen colourful horses and went apeshit crazy.

How do I stop him becoming weird when he's older?

Haha, my son picked up on that too. It will probably be fine. Kids are susceptible to ads, so those 10 minute toy adds are very popular. Just don't let him know about the merchandising. More for your wallet's sake. Our youngest's first words other than "cat" and "milk" was "spider-man shoes".

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
There's the possibility it isn't a phase. My son is 13 months and still wakes three or four times a night.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid is 25 months (today!) and still wakes overnight about 70% of nights lately.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Or if they don't wake up, they'll simply kick/roll/punch/scratch into you while remaining asleep and possibly even giggling or smiling in their sleep.

My daughter mostly sleeps through the night (we cosleep) at almost 7 months, but around 5am she starts rolling around, rotates 90 degrees so that we have the H thing happen (parents are vertical, baby horizontal). She then starts kicking me in the head/shoulder until I wake up and look at her. As soon as our eyes meet she goes immediately back into REM sleep. while still having her arms/feet in my face/shoulder/etc.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Our 11 month old still wakes up at least three times a night, but it seems to be due to silent reflux. We tried ranitidine to no effect and he's just finishing up his first week on omeprazole. I think it might be starting to work- two nights in a row he woke up, stood up, cried a little, and then laid back down and quietly went to sleep. All by himself. Which has never, ever happened before. He's still having his bad/inconsolable wakeups, but this is the first progress we've seen, so yay!!

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
My 25 month old also wakes at least one or two times a night and always has, about 90% of the time I'd say. Usually around 4am, which is my pattern too, I almost always wake up around then myself. Usually he just requires a hug and a reassuring pat and hes' back down, but with the bed transition it's been more challenging. There's not really a "normal" when it comes to baby sleep! You get more used to it too I think. Mine will sleep great for a while then have a regression and I find myself unable to remember what it was like to sleep well. Every time. I should come back and read this thread because it's so reassuring to see that while it sucked when I went through it IT DID END! :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I'll just be happy if she sleeps through the night in her own bed sometimes before she goes off to college.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I made the baby laugh so hard milk came

The whole nose/milk/vomit thing seems bad to me and he doesn't seem super happy about it, is there anything I should do to clean it out or anything?

Edit: Okay, finally figured out the right search terms, looks like this is normal and I can just ignore it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GlyphGryph posted:

The whole nose/milk/vomit thing seems bad to me and he doesn't seem super happy about it, is there anything I should do to clean it out or anything?

Edit: Okay, finally figured out the right search terms, looks like this is normal and I can just ignore it.

You have learned a hard lesson in "not exciting the baby after a feeding"

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Spitting-up milk is not to worry about, our son would do that 99.9% of the time after breastfeeding. "Projectile-vomiting" is the one you need to keep an eye out for.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Volmarias posted:

You have learned a hard lesson in "not exciting the baby after a feeding"

He'd last eaten hours ago, hah.

rgocs posted:

Spitting-up milk is not to worry about, our son would do that 99.9% of the time after breastfeeding. "Projectile-vomiting" is the one you need to keep an eye out for.

It was the "out the nose" part that had me worried, I'm definitely used to him spitting up by this point!

Making babies last is officially the best thing in the world though.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Sigh. 13 month old still waking up multiple times a night. Last night was six times.

It's because he's teething, (four teeth and a molar coming through), but holy poo poo I am ready to slit my goddamn wrists.

We were iffy on having a second before - after the lovely sleeper this one turned out to be we are definitely not taking another gamble.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Sigh. 13 month old still waking up multiple times a night. Last night was six times.

It's because he's teething, (four teeth and a molar coming through), but holy poo poo I am ready to slit my goddamn wrists.

We were iffy on having a second before - after the lovely sleeper this one turned out to be we are definitely not taking another gamble.

We're the opposite to you. We had an awesome baby first time round, and was through the night from about 5 months. Our second is an arse, she's 9 months old and still wakes 2 maybe 3 times a night. The slightest noise wakes her up, a stair creaking. Our youngest was brought up in our old house which was on a really busy noisy street with shouting and everything. The second is brought up on a quieter street, so is much more sensitive to noise.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Hah, we were like that (ours started sleeping through the night at around 15 months), then after 2 months of sleeping through the night we're talking about having another one again :).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Haha yeah nah I'm getting the snip to prevent something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Some 9 month's old sleep through the night?! We just co-sleep with our 2nd because nursing babies want to nurse all the time it seems.