Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there some kind of storage? I don't know why CD Project keeps making alchemy materials have weight when you're going to be holding on to hundreds at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there some kind of storage? I don't know why CD Project keeps making alchemy materials have weight when you're going to be holding on to hundreds at any given time.

The next patch which is due any day now will have storage.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Works for me, I just started so it's not an issue yet

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

JetsGuy posted:

By the way the penalty for being killed by guards - half Of your coin, is loving absurd. Did any developer seriously think anyone would actually accept that and not reload? gently caress off with that poo poo I'm not losing 20k because a guard is mad I stole my 300th bottle of dwarf spirit.

They're supposed to take half of your coin? They always took all of mine (8-10k).

I doubt anyone's supposed to not reload, really. The guards and their reactions are mostly to prevent things from ever getting GTA nonsensical. (Or even The Elder Scrolls nonsensical.) Encouraging a reload after the player does something ridiculous, without actually punishing them the way their character would be in the game's setting, is among the more sensible methods I've seen.

(Fun Fact, in TW2, if you kill guards in Act 1, you get into a conversation where a guard basically says "accidents and arguments happen, but we can't ignore this, pay up." If you refuse, Geralt gets killed by five or six near-simultaneous crossbow shots. Some people do know how to fight a Witcher!)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, it fits the setting too. Maybe there are rumours that Geralt is "working" for Emhyr so guards won't outright kill him. Taking his coin though? No problem.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How do you steal stuff in this game anyway? There's a neat pair of boots in the Nilfgaardan keep thing in act 1 that I want but it's surrounded by dudes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

How do you steal stuff in this game anyway? There's a neat pair of boots in the Nilfgaardan keep thing in act 1 that I want but it's surrounded by dudes.

You can run away and they will forget after awhile. I accidently stole something in Novigrad once in front of a bunch of guards and then I ran and things were cool when I went back to that area.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Poetic Justice posted:

You can run away and they will forget after awhile. I accidently stole something in Novigrad once in front of a bunch of guards and then I ran and things were cool when I went back to that area.

I once got carried away in Skellige stealing something from outside Jarlmirs quarters and had to ride Roach for miles because I kept running into an Craite guards.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Witches' sabbat on the mountain talk:
I don't think you should connect Baba Yaga tale with this one. Obviously there's a connection with the swamps, especially food choices of witches but that's as far as I see it.

Regarding Bald Mountain in Poland: there was a pagan sanctuary where three minor deities were worshipped. Of course Catholic Church did their stuff and build a church dedicated to Holy Trinity there :ironicat:
Sadly barely anything is known about those deities, except their names (for which we have at least 2 variants), and they are either all-male, 2 male connected brothers and either male or female (possibly mother to brothers) or something else entirely (names suggest avatars of winds and weather). Supposed date for the witches' sabbat was may 1st, so we may look at it as an afterparty for Walpurgisnacht :)

There was also a monastery built in 11th century there. It has a story that's pretty typical for a lovely place Eastern Europe was: after liquidating the order that held it Russians turned it into a heavy prison. Then Poland used it in the same capacity in the interwar period. Notable "guests" included Stepan Bandera. During WW2 Germans set a death camp there, where they've managed to murder 7-8 thousand Soviet POWs. Now it's a monastery again. I think you can visit it, I was in the region on a work related trip, but I didn't have time to go sightseeing.

I have a book of old tales, some of which are Slavic lore inspired, but I don't remember any connection to the storyline of Witcher 3.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Robo Reagan posted:

The only alchemical recipe you'll probably use over a hundred is white gull. Dwarven spirit and alcohest are found in abundance and you don't need a lot of anything else. If you pick every herb, stop, they're usually not even worth selling.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
There's a lot of slavic stuff in the game, obviously, but specific fairy-tale references are mostly to German and English folklore, largely because most Polish folklore from the pagan times is lost to history on account of the church being *really* effective here (still are). The books are the same way, more Snow White than Baba Yaga, more Red Riding Hood than Koschei the Deathless.

That said, the wild hunt, bald mountain, and the witches sabbath are all pretty widespread stories in Europe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's a lot of slavic stuff in the game, obviously, but specific fairy-tale references are mostly to German and English folklore, largely because most Polish folklore from the pagan times is lost to history on account of the church being *really* effective here (still are). The books are the same way, more Snow White than Baba Yaga, more Red Riding Hood than Koschei the Deathless.

That said, the wild hunt, bald mountain, and the witches sabbath are all pretty widespread stories in Europe.

You namedropping Koschei the Deathless started ringing some bells until I realized I remembered him (or at least his heart) from Sandman of all things. I gotta read the actual story someday.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Azazell0 posted:

You namedropping Koschei the Deathless started ringing some bells until I realized I remembered him (or at least his heart) from Sandman of all things. I gotta read the actual story someday.

I think he's also in Hellboy, and he's name-checked in Witcher 1, but it's just his name, the monster has no relation to the folklore.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What happens at the end of the game (I don't mean plot-wise). Do I get to keep playing and tie up all the random side quests, or does the game end?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

me your dad posted:

What happens at the end of the game (I don't mean plot-wise). Do I get to keep playing and tie up all the random side quests, or does the game end?

A few side quests will automatically fail at the end of the game, but otherwise you can continue running around and doing stuff.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Apple Jax posted:

I've encountered this glitch every time there's a NPC walking and holding a box and I freaking love it:

Me too. I also am able to rocket into the air via the boat with some regularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOapXXZlBj8

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Took me a while to connect Koschei and Sandman, but it's the first Death solo NOT collected in my four Absolutes.

Little more specifics on that end, any story-related content will be unavailable but everything else is fair game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I ran into that little girl you save from the Cat School Witcher last night. She's hanging out by the noticeboard in the town you brought her to. She gives you this adorable drawing of you two as a thank you card. :3:

Pyromancer posted:

The only alchemical recipe you'll probably use over a hundred is white gull. Dwarven spirit and alcohest are found in abundance and you don't need a lot of anything else. If you pick every herb, stop, they're usually not even worth selling.

Speaking of, I can't imagine what this game was like before Markham Spirit or whatever it is you need for white gull wasn't at virtually every pub. I guess a lot of meditating at Crow's Perch waiting for the guy to replenish?

I still buy all 5 (it's always 5) any merchant has when I find them (same with Cherry cordial). Can't wait until I have made the last of the potions because requiring two white gull for each potion is driving me nuts. (it's two because the powder you have to make inevitably requires white gull also)

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
You don't have to meditate. Just leave the chat window and speak to them again. Their stock will be refilled.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ugato posted:

You don't have to meditate. Just leave the chat window and speak to them again. Their stock will be refilled.

Is that for only certain items/vendors? Because I definitely have not observed that behavior from herbalists....

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Is that for only certain items/vendors? Because I definitely have not observed that behavior from herbalists....

Which might make sense, because herbs in the world are only refreshed on meditation/fast-travel.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Are their any comprehensive sites yet that outline quests, items, or NPCs? Plenty of other games with extensive quests have sites (for example, uesp.net for Elder Scrolls games). I find it hard to believe there's not something at least in preliminary stages for Witcher 3.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

l33t b4c0n posted:

Are their any comprehensive sites yet that outline quests, items, or NPCs? Plenty of other games with extensive quests have sites (for example, uesp.net for Elder Scrolls games). I find it hard to believe there's not something at least in preliminary stages for Witcher 3.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt_-_Guide_to_Secondary_Quests
I don't know if it's complete, but this I found somewhat helpful early on. What I found is that nowadays if you just travel around to all the ?s you generally find most of the stuff. That goes for things like random !s and also small sidequests (like hidden treasures).

Bigger sidequests and contracts, get those by continuously checking to see if noticeboards have gone yellow. Pull everything off all noticeboards when yellow, btw.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

JetsGuy posted:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt_-_Guide_to_Secondary_Quests
I don't know if it's complete, but this I found somewhat helpful early on. What I found is that nowadays if you just travel around to all the ?s you generally find most of the stuff. That goes for things like random !s and also small sidequests (like hidden treasures).

Bigger sidequests and contracts, get those by continuously checking to see if noticeboards have gone yellow. Pull everything off all noticeboards when yellow, btw.

After a while I stopped doing the hidden treasures. I never got anything out of it and sometimes it'd take a while to find the red treasure chest to end the quest.

In fact in Skellige I probably have 80 ?s in the water that I am never going to visit, it's just pointless busywork.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I just discovered the color-blind friendly witcher senses mode and I absolutely love it. I'm not color blind at all, but I just really like seeing things highlighted in blue instead of red.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah I used that site a lot for Witcher 2, but it's horribly incomplete for Witcher 3. It's not that I can't explore or check notice boards, but if I want to find where to get certain recipes or items, I figure it might be nice to look that up in a coherent place.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

l33t b4c0n posted:

Yeah I used that site a lot for Witcher 2, but it's horribly incomplete for Witcher 3. It's not that I can't explore or check notice boards, but if I want to find where to get certain recipes or items, I figure it might be nice to look that up in a coherent place.

Yeah I tried finding that poo poo, and I gotta say, a lot of alchemy recipes are random. I *just* now got the Killer Whale one and a few other basic level potion recipes and I'm well over 100 hours of looting and poo poo. Hell, I just last night finally got the base "Devil's Puffball", even though i had the enchanced and superior recipes forever.

The Druid in Skellige (you'll have to do a sidequest) and the halfling in Velen just near the farm are both great sources though. I got like a ton of recipes I was missing from both of htem.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Snak posted:

Which might make sense, because herbs in the world are only refreshed on meditation/fast-travel.

I'm pretty sure it restocks AND shuffles their inventory. I usually pop in and out a few times to see if the ingredients I need will cycle in, unless I'm just seeing things.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

JetsGuy posted:

Only the large sized postings are quests/contracts. The smaller ones are just flavor. If you see a board is yellow but has no large postings, it's just showing that you don't have all the POIs available from that board marked on your map. Once you check the board and exit out it will go white. If you leave a contract on the board, the board remains yellow on your map.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Has anyone found a good source of Redanian Herbal for the White Gull recipe? I need approximately 5000 of the drat things for all these other recipes but people only seem to carry 3 at a time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I found the innkeeper at Kaer Trolde harbor has a "decent" stock of everything needed for White Gull. That being said, you're still going to exit and re-enter the store interface (1. Show me what you've got...) a bunch of times.

Really, CDPR should just change it so innkeepers have infinite spirits of what they carry. It would be something if they had a similar behavior to the smiths, but being as they restock just by re-entering the interface it's just a massive annoyance rather than a logistical limit.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BitterAvatar posted:

Has anyone found a good source of Redanian Herbal for the White Gull recipe? I need approximately 5000 of the drat things for all these other recipes but people only seem to carry 3 at a time.

Nope, just had to buy it from Inns as I went.

That said, I also staggered my potion upgrades. Upgrading 1 here, and 1 there.

Also, crippling fear that Geralt would chug my valuable or rare alcohol. STOP USING ALCOHOLST TO REPLENISH POTIONS.

EDIT: That's what I want them to add, another character/inventory slot just to put the alcohol item that you're going to use to replenish potions. That'd be nice. Then Geralt can chug Temerian Rye instead of all my Dwarven Spirit and Alcoholst.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snuffman posted:

Nope, just had to buy it from Inns as I went.

That said, I also staggered my potion upgrades. Upgrading 1 here, and 1 there.

Also, crippling fear that Geralt would chug my valuable or rare alcohol. STOP USING ALCOHOLST TO REPLENISH POTIONS.

EDIT: That's what I want them to add, another character/inventory slot just to put the alcohol item that you're going to use to replenish potions. That'd be nice. Then Geralt can chug Temerian Rye instead of all my Dwarven Spirit and Alcoholst.

See I'd be fine with him using Dwarven Spirit as I currently have loving 200 of the damned things and maybe 50 Alcoholest.

There's another spirit he uses before all of those too. It's the ones that look like the I Dream of Jeanie bottle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Snuffman posted:

I finished the game with like 300 Alcohests in my inventory, how is that even an issue?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Does it make any difference what alcohol is used to replenish potions? Obviously, if you needed that alcohol for alchemy, it matters, but otherwise, don't all alcohols replenish potions equally effectively?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snak posted:

Does it make any difference what alcohol is used to replenish potions? Obviously, if you needed that alcohol for alchemy, it matters, but otherwise, don't all alcohols replenish potions equally effectively?
Its this. Alcoholest is used in a few recipes iirc, but I always had far more than enough.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I simply avoid the problem by rarely using potions. The potion crafting mechanics have always driven me up the wall in the whole series and while the third game's is still the best, it's still an annoyance that keeps me from bothering with alchemy based talents. If there was a way to bind access to potions like how players can switch signs so fast then it might be ok but the crafting side is still annoying no matter how you look at it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Its this. Alcoholest is used in a few recipes iirc, but I always had far more than enough.

necrobobsledder posted:

I simply avoid the problem by rarely using potions. The potion crafting mechanics have always driven me up the wall in the whole series and while the third game's is still the best, it's still an annoyance that keeps me from bothering with alchemy based talents. If there was a way to bind access to potions like how players can switch signs so fast then it might be ok but the crafting side is still annoying no matter how you look at it.
Right, but in Wild Hunt's system, you only have to craft potions one time. So it's not like you need a constant supply of alcohest to keep using potions.

Unrelated: Am I the only one that thinks Whirl is completely useless? It just gets blocked completely and your mobility is so reduced that you can't really re-engage groups once you've started. Every time I've tried using, it's obviously worse than just using regular fast attacks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To people having random crashes: disable cloud synchronisation in Steam options for the game and delete saves you don't use.

I did this and deleted like 300 saves and I went from crashing every 10/15 minutes to ZERO crashes and no Skellige-Velen fast travel crashes whatsoever. This seriously healed my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

necrobobsledder posted:

See, I avoided potions for a while, but once I found out that ONE alcohol replaces ALL your stuff, I never stop using them. I'm two decoctions all the time p much for me and a few other potions when I feel like it. I often have cat, thunderbolt and two decoctions and I only have invested 3 points into alchemy. Potions and decoctions are super powerful in the game. You really should always be using them.

Same thing goes for oils. When I first started, I was like "whatever Geralt, I don't need specter oil, just fight the thing". I won, and was like "lol whatever game". Oils help a TON too.

That all said, there's potions that work for all types of gameplay. I have plenty of potions/decoctions I've brewed that I never use. That said, some I rarely use and am glad I have when I do. White Honey is a great example of that.

Snak posted:

Unrelated: Am I the only one that thinks Whirl is completely useless? It just gets blocked completely and your mobility is so reduced that you can't really re-engage groups once you've started. Every time I've tried using, it's obviously worse than just using regular fast attacks.

It owns. I use it in two ways:
- set a big foe ablaze (e.g. a Bassilisk), while it's writhing in pain, whirl will get in a LOT more hits than mashing square. I don't like the heavy slam or whatever that alt heavy is though.
- It really does work well when you are surrounded, which is the intended use. Works great ocne you get the hang of moving while you are whirling.