Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Senzu beans debuted as a lembas bread type thing that would fill you up, and an initial running gag at the beginning was that hungry Goku is weak and after eating a meal he's ready to fight. One or two instances of this later with gradually less consistency they turned into a straight up health item somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Szmitten posted:

Senzu beans debuted as a lembas bread type thing that would fill you up, and an initial running gag at the beginning was that hungry Goku is weak and after eating a meal he's ready to fight. One or two instances of this later with gradually less consistency they turned into a straight up health item somehow.

Having them be health items means Korin and Yajirobe actually get something to do, even if it's pretty minor.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Why doesn't Goku get Bulma to create a clone of him and then wish his mind into the clone-body.

Wait. Wait, poo poo, are we sure Goten is his son? Maybe his name is short for Goku 10.

Now I'm just getting disturbing mental images of goten devouring the other eight he was born with. You know he'd do it too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Thunderbro posted:

I think by some stroke of fate I caught the premiere of DBZ in the US since I always watched Cartoon Network when I was a kid. Shotguns and Raditz and poo poo, I had absolutely no idea what was going on

DBZ didn't premiere on Cartoon Network, though. It was running on WB or UPN for years before that. But they only had a few episodes, so they just kept playing the same bit over and over again - they'd run through Raditz, the Frieza Saga, the long, long voyage to Namek, the encounter with the Ginyu force, then right as everything seemed dark Goku would show up and be right about to save everyone........ and then BAM next week it starts over again.

We didn't have much for internet fan communities back then, so we never knew if maybe this was the last time, maybe we were finally going to see Goku's amazing fight against Burter and Jeice and Ginyu (surely it would be amazing, right?), so we'd always be holding out hope that a new episode was coming.

But it never did. :negative:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

XboxPants posted:

DBZ didn't premiere on Cartoon Network, though. It was running on WB or UPN for years before that. But they only had a few episodes, so they just kept playing the same bit over and over again - they'd run through Raditz, the Frieza Saga, the long, long voyage to Namek, the encounter with the Ginyu force, then right as everything seemed dark Goku would show up and be right about to save everyone........ and then BAM next week it starts over again.

We didn't have much for internet fan communities back then, so we never knew if maybe this was the last time, maybe we were finally going to see Goku's amazing fight against Burter and Jeice and Ginyu (surely it would be amazing, right?), so we'd always be holding out hope that a new episode was coming.

That's precisely what happened on Toonami, so you may be confusing it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

setafd posted:

That's precisely what happened on Toonami, so you may be confusing it

No he's right. It ran on network TV before Toonami in the early morning but didn't become a big hit so it got cancelled. That early run got picked up by Toonami where it got more exposure that it got popular enough to start dubbing the rest.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

XboxPants posted:

DBZ originally ran in Syndication (It was on a Fox Affiliate in my area, Saturday, two episodes a week, one early in the series, one later). I also thought next week would be the time when Goku would continue his battle against the Ginyu's and Frezia, and become the LEGENDARY SUPER SAYIAN that Vegeta said he was. Alas, it was always stupid farmer with shotgun. If only there was a Krillan owned counter in 1996.

I want to say it was 1998 or 1999 when it finally aired on Toonami, and it exploded in popularity which then got us the newly dubbed episodes. I remember walking around in a Sam Goody and buying the first two Ginyu tapes, then going "THIS IS AWESOME" when that techno synth was playing as Goku used his Kaioken x 10 to show Ginyu his true power.

My memory might be hazy since it was 16 years ago when I first got the internet, but I thought the web community for DBZ was huge in the late 90's/early 2000's. Planet Namek (which had Real Media Clips of the X10 Big Bang Kamehameha with no subtitles, but it was awesome), Temple of Trunks (DBZ Action figures looked awesome)) , DBZ Uncensored ( Digital Paint Buckets are evil!), VegettoX (A guy who might be angry as Vegeta), Castor Troy's site (AMVs!) and I know I'm forgetting a lot of other sites. And of course, they all hated the dub, because that was the cool thing to do back then. It's nice to see the general consensus is that the dub is pretty good, which is something I didn't expect to see.

On a side note, another group (Dragon Team?) subbed episode 2 of Super. The subs on Sunday called Vegeta "Guy", but the Subs I watched today called him "Old Man" during the fire dancing scene, which changed the scene a little bit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well, speaking personally I was five when those sites were around and I pretty much grew up on the dub, and I'm probably not that out of the ordinary for that, so that probably accounts for most of us preferring the dub.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Idk, whatever it was I remember it being in 1996. I watched a ton of WB too so maybe that's what it was. Could have been a re-run too, all I know is the first episode I ever saw was the actual first episode. The reruns were just awful too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah, I don't remember Australia having the whole Raditz-Recoome on repeat thing going on. By the time it was on Cheez TV, they were showing post-Recoome.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Man, Beerus is such a dick.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Covok posted:

Launch, not Lunch.
As if the Japanese were remotely consistent with romanizing those names.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Didn't the UK get it much later than America? Why did we still have the Raditz-Recoome loop?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

sharktamer posted:

Didn't the UK get it much later than America? Why did we still have the Raditz-Recoome loop?
The Raditz-Recoome Loop is the definitive way to watch the series and Kai cocked it all up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You haven't watched DBZ until you've watched Gohan get slammed by Recoome over 40 times.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Augus posted:

You haven't watched DBZ until you've watched Gohan get slammed by Recoome over 40 times.

:stare: need an adult

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks to the Raditz-Recoome loop and my own irregular television habits, I didn't actually see any of the major villains get their comeuppance until I watched Kai.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wouldn't be surprised if Gohan manages to job out to Recoome in Super too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah as a border kid I was so happy that Mexico kept putting out new DBZ stuff because I would also get American Cartoon Network and that poo poo was depressing. By the time Mexico got to buu saga I think the states were barely getting Frieza.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Augus posted:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Muddling along with my tabletop game still, trying to decide on how many transformations I want to put into it. On the one hand, it seems like there's a lot of transforming in DBZ, but on the other hand, it's basically just saiyans having a million different forms.

So I come to you, the wise scholars of the punchmans, for advice on whether or not I should start throwing in more transformation options for everyone.

Also if you have any good ideas for combo moves (two or more people working together) then that'd be neat, I need more of those.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I was definitely caught in the Raditz-Recoome loop, but still saw the SS Goku VS Freiza fight, so eventually the loop was broken, somehow.

Though I didn't know about the entire series until pretty recently since I kinda just forgot about it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cozz posted:

I want to say it was 1998 or 1999 when it finally aired on Toonami, and it exploded in popularity which then got us the newly dubbed episodes.

Yup, moving it to Toonami with a consistent timeslot is exactly what led to it becoming popular. The problem with it being in syndication was that, at least for stations where I lived, episodes premiered during weekdays right before school, leaving little time to actually absorb what the gently caress was going on when you're only 8 or 9 years old or so.

Then came August/September in 1999 and out of loving nowhere Peter Cullen narrating (and Tom) on Toonami about "Z-Day" when new episodes were finally going to air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9iCJ-5cuXE

I remember seeing it and being in awe :aaa:. The next day, loving everyone was talking about it.

and holy gently caress, 9-13-99, that was a long loving time ago, it's insane how good the Kai dub is given how jarring the new voices were at first

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Awesome Welles posted:

Peter Cullen narrating

Somehow, I never made that connection and I'm now incredibly mad at myself, because I loved his Toonami promos.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cozz posted:

On a side note, another group (Dragon Team?) subbed episode 2 of Super. The subs on Sunday called Vegeta "Guy", but the Subs I watched today called him "Old Man" during the fire dancing scene, which changed the scene a little bit.

Not an expert but it sounds like they were saying "ojisan" (literally uncle, could mean "guy"), and not "ojiisan" (grandpa or old man), so the first subs are probably more accurate.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Fuego Fish posted:

Muddling along with my tabletop game still, trying to decide on how many transformations I want to put into it. On the one hand, it seems like there's a lot of transforming in DBZ, but on the other hand, it's basically just saiyans having a million different forms.

So I come to you, the wise scholars of the punchmans, for advice on whether or not I should start throwing in more transformation options for everyone.

Also if you have any good ideas for combo moves (two or more people working together) then that'd be neat, I need more of those.

How familiar are you with Paizo Studio's Pathfinder RPG? they published a class recently called the Brawler, a combination of monk and fighter who can use his signature ability to spend points and give himself the benefits of combat feats that he hasn't actually taken yet.

It's a nifty workaround for the fighter's insane feat bloat and it could maybe work for a character with multiple transformations? A pool of "form points" which can be spent/allocated to achieve and sustain new combat transformations. There's probably other ideas you can take from this too,if you're so inclined.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
All this reminds me of how good the Sci-Fi channel used to be.
I was 14, flicking through the channels randomly, wait, what's this film called? Fist Of The North Star? I'll give it a tryyyyyoooohholy poo poo

God drat, Sci-Fi.
Akira, Appleseed, Armitage III, Battle Angel Alita, Demon City, Devilman, MD Geist, Venus Wars, Ninja Scroll, Legend Of The Overfiend, Tenchi Muyo, Dominion Tank Police, Ghost In The Shell...

gently caress you, "syfy"

Why yes I am old, bitter and cranky.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Captain Q posted:

How familiar are you with Paizo Studio's Pathfinder RPG? they published a class recently called the Brawler, a combination of monk and fighter who can use his signature ability to spend points and give himself the benefits of combat feats that he hasn't actually taken yet.

It's a nifty workaround for the fighter's insane feat bloat and it could maybe work for a character with multiple transformations? A pool of "form points" which can be spent/allocated to achieve and sustain new combat transformations. There's probably other ideas you can take from this too,if you're so inclined.

I would hope that Fuego Fish sticks to taking ideas from good games, though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What might be cool would be every race having one unique transformation ( your choice of Super Saiyan or Ascended Saiyan/Super Vegeta for saiyans, an Infinite Energy Drive for Humans, etc) followed by one single transformation/powerup (thinking Elder Kai Unlock here) for everyone to share/compete over.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ak Gara posted:

All this reminds me of how good the Sci-Fi channel used to be.
I was 14, flicking through the channels randomly, wait, what's this film called? Fist Of The North Star? I'll give it a tryyyyyoooohholy poo poo

God drat, Sci-Fi.
Akira, Appleseed, Armitage III, Battle Angel Alita, Demon City, Devilman, MD Geist, Venus Wars, Ninja Scroll, Legend Of The Overfiend, Tenchi Muyo, Dominion Tank Police, Ghost In The Shell...

gently caress you, "syfy"

Why yes I am old, bitter and cranky.

Unless it was a re-do, they actually did MD Geist waaaaay more recently than the olden days. Like, I am a 20-year-old, and I watched MD Geist on Sci-Fi in the middle of high school.

Man, I miss Ani-Mondays, that block was loving amazing. Their first broadcast was the US premiere of GitS:SAC Solid State Society, they got Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00 super early, and they played a bunch of other good poo poo like Monster, Now and Then Here and There, Noein, and Macross Plus. Plus lots of old OVAs, because it was (in theory) a Manga Entertainment block, of course.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
DBM Chat: That's So Goku

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Archenteron posted:

DBM Chat: That's So Goku

Has a shell so much be turtle. Seems legit!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Covok posted:

Has a shell so much be turtle. Seems legit!

"Of course... your kind loves water... :stare:"

The art is seriously strange.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Cool take but I don't like the Goku mom scene since its nothing like her and there's no where in the timelime for that to happen even if her personality was changed for some reason. Let alone specifically for earthlings/humans.

e: Unless his mom was sent to Earth somehow as well?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

The art is seriously strange.

It's trying to ape the roundness of early Dragon Ball but not nailing it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

Cool take but I don't like the Goku mom scene since its nothing like her and there's no where in the timelime for that to happen even if her personality was changed for some reason. Let alone specifically for earthlings/humans.

e: Unless his mom was sent to Earth somehow as well?

DBM has their own version of Goku's mom, IIRC, that is nothing like Gine. I think DBM started before Jaco gave the deetz on Goku's mom.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Prison Warden posted:

I would hope that Fuego Fish sticks to taking ideas from good games, though.

Hahaha, burn. Pretend I linked an appropriate youtube video of DBZA Roshi saying "gonna need a senzu for that one".

projecthalaxy posted:

What might be cool would be every race having one unique transformation ( your choice of Super Saiyan or Ascended Saiyan/Super Vegeta for saiyans, an Infinite Energy Drive for Humans, etc) followed by one single transformation/powerup (thinking Elder Kai Unlock here) for everyone to share/compete over.

Well, at the moment, every sort of transformation available uses completely different mechanics, and Androids are separate from Earthlings rather than being an "upgrade".

Saiyans get a core ability called "Legendary Form" where they pick between Oozaru and Super Saiyan, and at any point during a fight they can opt to transform. In the Oozaru state, they can Rampage, which does significant damage to people and the surrounding area, and dismiss incoming damage by spending Power. In the Super Saiyan state, they get more Power and can supercharge their moves to make them more damaging.

(Power is a spendable resource, represented by tokens, that you gain from basic actions like screaming and punching, and spend on the martial arts moves like Galick Gun or Destructo Disk.)

However if you get too heavily damaged while you're in your transformed state, you return back to your original self, and can't transform back into Oozaru/Super Saiyan until the next fight. Unless you took the appropriate optional ability which lets you transform twice per fight, of course.

That's for Saiyans. Arcosians (Freeza's people) have a different method. You (the player) must declare that this isn't even your final form and you can transform. The first time you transform in a fight, you get a +1 bonus to everything you do which goes away when you take a hit. Every subsequent time, you only get a +1 bonus to your next action.

So in theory, anyone playing an Arcosian is going to be reminding everyone else at the table that this isn't even their final form at every available opportunity so they can continue to get bonuses. This might not be 100% in line with canon, but it is potentially hilarious, so I'm keeping it that way.

As always, if anyone wants to see what I've been doing so far, they can check out the design notes right here.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Pretend I linked an appropriate youtube video of DBZA Roshi saying "gonna need a senzu for that one".

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Yes

Haha, it was a funny joke I laughed at!

• Locked thread