Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Next save file will be called the 'Barkest' Estate. Going to use as many Houndmasters as possible in every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Patch notes are a loving twelve page PDF. :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kyrosiris posted:

Patch notes are a loving twelve page PDF. :stare:

:eyepop: whaaaat

Permanent quirks sound awesome, just what the game needed.

quote:

Monsters now leave corpses when they die.
These corpses hang around for a bit, refusing to let enemy ranks instantly collapse. The result? The enemy’s formation will hold together longer. Yes, that means more Tempting Goblets thrown at your face. Just give in and drink it, already!
Corpses can be eliminated by doing additional physical damage to them, including DOTs (bleed, blight).
They will also go away on their own after some time. If a monster dies due to bleed or blight, they won’t make a corpse. After all, there was too much of the body withered or bled away! So this is a nice side benefit of DOT-ing things.
Corpses do a couple things mechanically, but the main objective is to enhance positional strategy further and provide more nuance and tactical alternatives to the time-honored strategy of “just bash the guy in front until there are no guys left.”

Game changer.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 15, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah, I need to pick this back up. 2 new characters and this corpse mechanic really does sound like a game changer. Hope it's a good change.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

PD is buffed indirectly:

quote:

DOTs and PROTs: Some monsters now have significant PROT (protection), which means they soak up damage like a Sham-Wow soaks up annoyance at us having to watch how well it soaks up water.
A good example is our longtime friend, the Bone Defender. As if he wasn’t tough enough, he can now take a punch from Dolph Lungren a la Rocky IV.
The good news? Not much!

Oh, actually there is a bit: DOTs (bleed and blight) skip PROT altogether. In fact, some might say that DOTs are in fact the best way to deal with heavily PROT’d enemies. They are not the only way, though.
Stock up on stuns and debuffs to neutralize those enemies while you deal with their friends.
Monster resistances to DOTs have been adjusted—mostly lowered. The double chance penalty of potentially missing a DOT attack and then still getting savaged by resistance was just a bit too harsh. The double chance is still there, but instead of “savaged”, we’d say it now feels more like a “friendly mauling.”
In seriousness, DOTs (esp. blight) were not where we wanted them and the various changes in this update should help boost them up.

I mean she is also buffed directly and stuff like DOTs criting is again great for her.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 15, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
building on that

quote:

Plague Doctor: the changes to DOTs should immediately give her significantly more value.
But we’ve also done some specific things: Emboldening Vapours is enhanced.
“Preventative Medicine” camping skill has been recast as “The Cure” and cures diseases.
Noxious Blast and Plague Grenade have been tweaked.
And Disorienting Blast now clears corpses from the battlefield.
YES, YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT.
That is your reward for reading this far.

PD sounding way better.

If only they'd change Disorienting Blast into a full-on corpse explosion :allears:

quote:

One frequent point of feedback that we receive is that heals generally don’t keep pace with incoming damage from enemies. This is actually core to the philosophy of the game, and every time we hear that comment we actually take that as a positive and rub our bellies as though we just had a delicious Sunday roast. Every quest in Darkest Dungeon is meant to be a sort of fighting withdrawal against a superior force—given enough time and enough battles, you will fall. The accumulated stress and wounds will bring your heroes to their knees—you just ideally want to complete the quest before this happens. Philosophically, if healing (or stress healing) were strong enough to keep pace in each combat, then you could adventure indefinitely. Healing is meant to be a stopgap against death—use it judiciously and sparingly to keep heroes off of Death’s Door, or help arrest a combat gone bad. But as a general matter of course, we will always be striving to make healing feel underpowered compared to what you might expect in other RPGs where the rule of the day is stay at full health and just spam potions when the red globe empties.

:black101:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geokinesis posted:

PD is buffed indirectly:

I mean she is also buffed directly and stuff like DOTs criting is again great for her.

Yeah I was going to say, based on the new corpse mechanics alone she'd be pretty useful, then your post and the one after that only furthered it. Which makes me happy because I love the Plague Doctor.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

building on that

But wait, there's more!

quote:

In more DOT-related news, you should be able to CRIT your DOTs now, which gives greater chance to
proc PLUS the DOT damage itself gets multiplied. Happy days are here again!

Furthermore, the fact that corpses exist mean that taking out someone in the front line no longer makes PD's back-two-rows skills useless.

It is a good day to play bird lady.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This game is great for making stories. I had nearly wiped on an early dungeon, and only a half-mad, rabid plague doctor survived. Since I only had a handful of newbies left, I threw the paranoid, masochistic, stressed out, plague doctor in front on my next mission to lead the newbies through the next dungeon, and that way if anyone died, it would be the crazed doctor.

Not only did my whole party survive, but the insane plague doctor actually ended up murdering most of the opposition. I felt like she deserved a sanitarium break after that.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Houndmaster heals his dog by giving it a hug.

What a patch.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I also like that the houndmaster's "being attacked" animation is him shielding the dog with his body. He loves that dog.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can the dog die in battle? :ohdear:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I feel like I have to be the rear end in a top hat here.

Does anyone else get the distinct impression that the Houndmaster isn't very good?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Time_pants posted:

Does anyone else get the distinct impression that the Houndmaster isn't very good?

fyad, dog man is best man

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why the devs decided he needed the lowest base damage in the game, literally half what stronger classes have. It's not like his support options are that good.

The bleed AoE is amusing at least and lets him hang in rookie parties just fine, doubt he can keep up in the long run though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cloud saves and permanent quirk lock sounds great and the new corpse mechanic to me just SCREAMS that there is going to be some kind of necromancer enemy or class added. my first thought was immediately "so when are they gonna tell us about the inevitable reanimation mechanic and/or casting spells on the dead bodies" because if not, huge wasted opportunity. haven't played in a long while so I can't wait to try the dogman

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If there's no quietly-added special interaction with the new corpse mechanic that makes the Necromancer 100 times scarier then I just don't know what the devs are thinking.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I think I agree. He sort of works, but since all the bad classes from before got a tune-up he's probably the weakest class in the game. Pros: That once-per-mission dog treat is freaking strong, primary attack hits anywhere and chips away at enemy PROT, camp skills are all solid, and he has good trap disarm. These things are not enough.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
People have edited the game files before to increase barracks space, can class stats be altered too? Bumping up his damage solo until he feels right would be interesting.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

People have edited the game files before to increase barracks space, can class stats be altered too? Bumping up his damage solo until he feels right would be interesting.

Yeah, pretty much everything can be changed relatively easily apparently, with all the crappy custom classes people are already coming out with.

Pretty disappointed with him honestly, thought marks being a big part of his kit marking the target for his dog to maul etc was a bit of a no-brainer. Nope, crappy damage and average utility. Not sure what they were going for besides "Ooh cute doggy class"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Snow Job posted:

I think I agree. He sort of works, but since all the bad classes from before got a tune-up he's probably the weakest class in the game. Pros: That once-per-mission dog treat is freaking strong, primary attack hits anywhere and chips away at enemy PROT, camp skills are all solid, and he has good trap disarm. These things are not enough.

are the Man-At-Arms and arbalest classes still really strong? I remember they were freakish when they first got added so maybe the designers thought to start Houndmaster off a bit slower.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Time_pants posted:

He's crazy with the dog treats. They should probably let you buy as many of those as you want since you have to give up precious loot space to hold em. But yeah, he kinda sucks.

Maybe they should split the hound and master up? Like, the hound (weakly) attacks whoever he wants and the master buff/directs/heals the hound. If you really want to get crazy give the hound it's own skill set that you choose from.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 16, 2015

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

are the Man-At-Arms and arbalest classes still really strong? I remember they were freakish when they first got added so maybe the designers thought to start Houndmaster off a bit slower.

Man-at-Arms: They nerfed Retribution a bunch. Right now the opening attack is weak, no longer boosts PROT (It used to do this, right?), and the counterattack doesn't stun. I think they want to make Riposte not trip against certain attacks, and the neutered opening attack will hopefully do something meaningful again in the future.

Arbalest: Same as before. Oh god does Blindfire ever suck with corpses added to the game, though.

quote:

Maybe they should split the hound and master up? Like, the hound (weakly) attacks whoever he wants and the master buff/directs/heals the hound. If you really want to get crazy give the hound it's own skill set that you choose from.

This would be cool. I'd like to see combo attacks like this: 1) The dog and guy hit a front row target together for higher damage, 2) The guy does a low-damage stun blow, then the dog attacks a random target. And maybe make Hound's Rush more accurate + more critical than these so it doesn't get replaced with combo attacks all the time.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snow Job posted:

Arbalest: Same as before. Oh god does Blindfire ever suck with corpses added to the game, though.

On the plus side, the arbalest really, really likes not having things scoot into the front row. Blindfire is a lot less important now when you can target things directly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Snow Job posted:

Suppressing Fire, on the other hand, just became a literal street sweeper.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know when they made the changes to the UI, but I like them. The healthbar in particular is way better than I remember it being.

Snow Job posted:

This would be cool. I'd like to see combo attacks like this: 1) The dog and guy hit a front row target together for higher damage, 2) The guy does a low-damage stun blow, then the dog attacks a random target. And maybe make Hound's Rush more accurate + more critical than these so it doesn't get replaced with combo attacks all the time.

The houndmaster really doesn't feel like a pet class which sucks because pet classes own and dogs own.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 16, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

A NOTE ON PHILOSOPHY:
Immanuel Kant is quoted as saying—wait, we mean philosophy of Darkest Dungeon…
One frequent point of feedback that we receive is that heals generally don’t keep pace with incoming
damage from enemies. This is actually core to the philosophy of the game, and every time we hear that
comment we actually take that as a positive and rub our bellies as though we just had a delicious Sunday
roast. Every quest in Darkest Dungeon is meant to be a sort of fighting withdrawal against a superior
force—given enough time and enough battles, you will fall. The accumulated stress and wounds will
bring your heroes to their knees—you just ideally want to complete the quest before this happens.
Philosophically, if healing (or stress healing) were strong enough to keep pace in each combat, then you
could adventure indefinitely. Healing is meant to be a stopgap against death—use it judiciously and
sparingly to keep heroes off of Death’s Door, or help arrest a combat gone bad. But as a general matter
of course, we will always be striving to make healing feel underpowered compared to what you might
expect in other RPGs where the rule of the day is stay at full health and just spam potions when the red
globe empties.
By far the most common complaint overall is our gracious lord and destroyer, RNGesus. Darkest
Dungeon aims to strike a tenuous balance between plan and chance. There is no denying that there is a
lot of variance in the game—too much in some specific spots. We have already sculpted a few
mechanics under the hood to try to avoid ridiculously cruel and unlikely chains of events (e.g. 12 failed
retreats in a row), and we have no doubt that we’ll be improving some more systems as well. But again,
creative direction and design philosophy are very important considerations for us. Unlike, say, a pure
strategy game, making all the right choices in Darkest Dungeon will not always guarantee a favorable
outcome. The game is *sometimes* unfair (by design), cruel (by design), and unpredictable (by design).
Even when you assemble the perfect team and provision appropriately and manage your risk, we want
things to occasionally go pear-shaped and therefore put you in unexpectedly out-of-control situations
where your favorite heroes die. BUT, if you play smart in the long-term, the game should reward you
accordingly and we will continue striving to make it so. We do, after all, want to reward clever play! The
analogy we use internally is poker. Poker players understand that holding pocket Aces greatly increases
your chance of winning a hand, but they do not guarantee it. Sometimes you make all the right moves,
and suffer a bad beat. Darkest Dungeon is a game about administering the occasional bad beat to you,
and then watching eagerly to see how you take it. That being said, to quell any conspiracy theories, we
currently DO NOT have an AI Director type system that measures how you are doing and then makes
things harder or easier on you accordingly. That is, if you are playing well and having an easy time of it,
we won’t necessarily spring Shamblers in every hallway for you. At least not yet…
Suffice it to say that RNGesus is never going complete away in this game, but we may try to reform some
of his most problematic habits.

I read this, and am not sure how to feel, even as an outsider. Even watching people, there's only been a few cases of 'clever play' and even less of 'clever play being rewarded'. And I'm not certain whether that's more or less possible now. Under the circumstances of the game, what even counts as 'clever' to them?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

I read this, and am not sure how to feel, even as an outsider. Even watching people, there's only been a few cases of 'clever play' and even less of 'clever play being rewarded'. And I'm not certain whether that's more or less possible now. Under the circumstances of the game, what even counts as 'clever' to them?

Look at the sentences immediately following it. Poker is a good analogy--there is a huge difference in outcome between good and bad players, but it's less about masterful tactical strokes and more about carefully managing the odds in numerous small ways over a long period of time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I suppose it'd be really interesting to see a fully fresh play at this point. Everyone who's bothering to play are entrenched already.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bloodly posted:

A better word for it might be 'canny' play, which is what the poker analogy said to me. Running up on a boss you're not familiar with using disposable mooks is canny play. Using what you learned from that shredding to make a good crew for the next run is canny play. Understanding that there's a lot of Unholy dudes in the Ruins and bringing Crusaders kitted out with anti-Undead stuff is canny play.

'Clever' is a perfectly appropriate word, but implies to a lot of people that you're doing something unexpected or catty, which they've traditionally disliked. Stun spam is a good example of something that they didn't really expect as such and was definitely cheesy and catty, so they got rid of it.

As far as clever the way I believe they're using it, I'd say it's more possible than ever as monsters become more unique and hero roles become better defined. There's starting to become a very distinct difference between the classes and skills that make up a good Ruins party and classes that make up a good Weald or Warrens party. That's important because 3-4 months ago, you had your one A-Team that was basically a group of loving Terminators. Now you might have more specialist parties or characters that are tailored for at most two dungeons. The game is slowly refining itself so you have to put more thought into it to succeed, which by definition means clever or canny play is more possible, not less. There's still a ways to go before it can confound the majority of experienced players, and it might never get to that particular milestone. But their manifesto is pretty coherent to me.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
I'm kind of disappointed in the Hound Master, if only because there really isn't any synergy with him and the rest of the team. Marking opponents has been a mechanic that, while three classes share it, is still under valued when you could very well put a better skill there. As it is, only the Occultist should ever bother to have that skill equipped, and that's more for the debuff chance than anything. The Hound Master has a marking skill his own, but nobody can benefit from it. It just seems weird to me. Why create a unique version of a skill already in the game? Isn't it better to let them all share marks, so that they can all benefit from one another? Because as it is, HM is more or less a Leper who learned bleed skills.
Which I mean, hey, bleeding the entire enemy line is great, don't get me wrong, but is it really worth everything else he has to offer?

That said, I'm kind of both loving and hating higher level runs. The protection buffs most enemies have can be ridiculous at times, where it might take three turns to kill one goddamn maggot, and that's not even getting into foes with higher health pools. But I can't really fault the game for trying to balance things out in a way so that your champion heroes are steamrolling. Though I think the stress accumulation might be a bit high? I did a short run, and my Vestal almost went nuts three times, and for the life of me I can't figure out how she went from 0 stress to 50 across three rooms. She didn't even have a phobia of the Warrens or anything. I dunno. The design philosophy is fine, and when I take a step back, I can appreciate the game for what it is and what it accomplishes. But when I'm playing it, MAN does it get annoying to suddenly feel like I'm back at square one, where most attacks miss, nothing procs, and everybody crawls out with half health or less. They're resolve level 6, they shouldn't be as effective as 0 level party members, even with relative scaling taken into account.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you're not in the western hemisphere the word clever might be throwing you off. In the UK, I understand that it's a synonym for intelligent. In the US, its more equivalent to crafty.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Coolguye posted:

As far as clever the way I believe they're using it, I'd say it's more possible than ever as monsters become more unique and hero roles become better defined.

I agree with this. The recent changes to prot and corpses really alter the roles of several heros. The hellion, for example, finally has a real reason to stand out - She's the only front-line melee hero who can hit any position in the enemy line. That wasn't a bit deal when you could just mulch the people in front, but now her ability to reach past them and Iron Swan a skeletal crossbowman in half is really valuable.

I suspect the Houndmaster will get a few buffs - a small increase to his base damage would be enough. The ability to sit in the back row and hit any enemy position, or, optionally, all enemy positions is very nice, but the arbalest can do almost that too (Albeit only positions 2 - 4) and she does a fair deal more damage than him. His support is weak, his Marking ability isn't actually a mark, and, well, he needs a little love.

But Bandit Sense + Hound's Watch + full torch results in you surprising like 75% of enemy groups and its amazing and he's almost worth it just for that.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

If you're not in the western hemisphere the word clever might be throwing you off. In the UK, I understand that it's a synonym for intelligent. In the US, its more equivalent to crafty.

You must be correct. In the UK I've never heard it used to mean "crafty"; the most I've seen it stretch to is "know-it-all".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I live in the new world colonies and clever = talented, smart, good at something. I don't think there's a difference in meaning over the Atlantic, or if there is it's a regional thing? Or people are just crazy?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I've heard Clever mean Crafty, but to my British ears it sounds pre-modern. It's a usage that characters in over period fiction would say.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I live in the new world colonies and clever = talented, smart, good at something. I don't think there's a difference in meaning over the Atlantic, or if there is it's a regional thing? Or people are just crazy?

I've heard the term "cleverly disguised" used any number of times to refer to particularly effective camouflage both in terms of US produced nature documentaries and military descriptions of enemy emplacements, minefields, and booby traps.

Also: fake ATMs that steal your bank account info.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i just had a BH uppercut a corpse to bring someone closer

no regrets

e: Ha. I dunno if this is new or not, but I just put a Leper, a Grave Robber, a PD, and a Vestal together, and they got called "The Strays".

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 17, 2015

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I think it's pretty loving ridiculous that it's possible to miss attacks on corpses at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I think it's pretty loving ridiculous that it's possible to miss attacks on corpses at all

that is beyond retarded. I figured it was kind of annoying enough for them all to have like 8 hp each but being able to miss them is a stupid rule. other than that I'm fine with the mechanic.

I actually liked the houndmaster but the one I initially got had to be dismissed after the first mission he was on went bad and he caught like 3 fuckin diseases.