Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Cross posting this so that the fans of these teams can hold me to it, because if it does happen I will be a giant rear end about it to them and other fans of those teams for years.

Numlock posted:

:toxx:

Texas Tech will beat the following teams this year, Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU.

If not I will change my avatar image to something expressing my undying love for one or more of these teams until Texas Tech's first game of 2016.

Toxx's are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Michigan's new contract with Nike (they're leaving Adidas in 2016) worth approximately eleventy billion dollars. ($169m/15 years)

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/07/nike_michigan_1.html#incart_story_package

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Numlock posted:

Cross posting this so that the fans of these teams can hold me to it, because if it does happen I will be a giant rear end about it to them and other fans of those teams for years.

Toxx's are fun.

All of them? That's pretty brave. I could see Tech beating any of those four, but if you're going to go for all 4 you may as well just toxx for the conference championship.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Spiritus Nox posted:

All of them? That's pretty brave. I could see Tech beating any of those four, but if you're going to go for all 4 you may as well just toxx for the conference championship.

Having watched well over a decade of Tech Football, I'm crazy not suicidal.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Numlock posted:

Having watched well over a decade of Tech Football, I'm crazy not suicidal.

Sure, just saying, if you beat all four of those teams then your only real threat for the conference title is Oklahoma State, and even if they beat you they'd have to go undefeated for you to lose the conference with one loss.
...Though, even if Tech wins all four of those games, I suppose going to West Virginia is probably still a scary game.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

You've got a point. If TTU has beaten those 4 teams, it's probable that they are good enough to beat WVU, KSU and OSU as well, which is a run at the championship.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
The problem with Nick Saban is that when he talks it is boring. He's an old white dude who has no personality probably because he's from West Virginia

Come at me fan nerds

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Groucho Marxist posted:

Not really all that surprising but Harold Brantley will miss the entire season :(

Goddammit.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

VDay posted:

Michigan's new contract with Nike (they're leaving Adidas in 2016) worth approximately eleventy billion dollars. ($169m/15 years)

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/07/nike_michigan_1.html#incart_story_package

Hearing reports that Jim Harbaugh pressured Adidas into retiring so he could get this deal in

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

It's a good thing no one is saying that he's a bad coach!

It's not like he's my poor teams' coach, who is the world's biggest loving baby and is a terrible coach and an objectively awful human being.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

It's not like he's my poor teams' coach, who is the world's biggest loving baby and is a terrible coach and an objectively awful human being.

who is your team

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think SDSU is gonna win 9 games this year

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

MourningView posted:

who is your team
Arkansas

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All Big 12 Team is out. Baylor leads the conference with 7 picks, TCU and OU each with 5. Boykin OPOY, Oakman DPOY. Oakman's pick surprised me - I don't even think he's Baylor's best lineman (take a bow, Andrew Billings) - but I guess the memes won out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bret's a shithead but he's a pretty dang good coach. He was great at Wisconsin and Arkansas turned things around big time last year after a rough first year. Seems like he has them going the right direction

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, I'm kind of glad we dropped Arkansas as our permanent rival even though it means dealing with Aggy every year. They could be very good very soon.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ross Angeles posted:

I think SDSU is gonna win 9 games this year

Schedule looks prime for it. I'd be down for the Aztecs being real good for a bit so I can have a decent team on each coast.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of glad we dropped Arkansas as our permanent rival even though it means dealing with Aggy every year. They could be very good very soon.

Helps that we got to completely poo poo on them the last time we played as rivals. For once.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Given this and the fact that Auburn has averaged like 9 wins a season over their entire history, I can't muster up a single ounce of sympathy for anything that program's been through. They're the lesser of the two evils against Bama and they gave us Cam, but that's about it (though I do like the fans that post here).

Of course, I'm also slightly bitter since we haven't beaten them since the 30s despite a few close calls in recent years.

Meh, the Kick Six is a play that will be milked from here until the heat death of the universe. Everything about it was just so improbable and things lined up just right in order for it to work. If documentarians want to cover it, so be it. I doubt Auburn or any of the universities involved in this series asked to be a subject.

Also I think Auburn/South Carolina will play again in, like, 2019 or something.

...Unless Auburn wins the west this year and South Carolina wins the east. :getin:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Helps that we got to completely poo poo on them the last time we played as rivals. For once.

Yeah, that was one of the most cathartic games I've ever watched. Our overall record against Arkansas is competitive, but Petrino had Spurrier's number and it just seemed like they were always grinding us to dust in recent years. That 2007 McFadden/Jones game was a scar upon my psyche until 52-7 finally put me on the road to recovery.

Morby posted:

Also I think Auburn/South Carolina will play again in, like, 2019 or something.

...Unless Auburn wins the west this year and South Carolina wins the east. :getin:

It's really dumb and unfortunate that some players will go their entire college careers without facing every cross-division team. As a fan, I'd love to see us play Auburn, LSU, etc. more often, if only for the variety. We haven't played Ole Miss since 2009 and there's been no indication when they'll finally return to our schedule. It's a mess and a pretty good argument for a ninth conference game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Every conference should get 14 members and do this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

You've got a point. If TTU has beaten those 4 teams, it's probable that they are good enough to beat WVU, KSU and OSU as well, which is a run at the championship.

Don't forget about mighty Kansas and Iowa St...

Sorry, I can't keep typing that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

All Big 12 Team is out. Baylor leads the conference with 7 picks, TCU and OU each with 5. Boykin OPOY, Oakman DPOY. Oakman's pick surprised me - I don't even think he's Baylor's best lineman (take a bow, Andrew Billings) - but I guess the memes won out.

I assume you're referring to the pre-season media poll?

code:
Offensive Player of the Year: 	Trevone Boykin, TCU, QB, Sr.
Defensive Player of the Year: 	Shawn Oakman, Baylor, DE, Sr.
Newcomer of the Year: 	Chris Carson, Oklahoma State, RB, Jr.

Offense
Pos 	Name 			School 		Ht 	Wt 	Cl/Exp 	Hometown
QB 	Trevone Boykin # 	TCU 		6-2 	205 	Sr./3L 	Dallas, Texas
RB 	Shock Linwood #^ 	Baylor 		5-9 	195 	Jr./2L 	Linden, Texas
RB 	Samaje Perine # 	Oklahoma 	5-11 	237 	So./1L 	Pflugerville, Texas
FB 	Glenn Gronkowski # 	K-State 	6-3 	234 	Jr./2L 	Amherst, N.Y.
WR 	Corey Coleman * 	Baylor 		5-11 	190 	Jr./2L 	Richardson, Texas
WR 	Sterling Shepard # 	Oklahoma 	5-10 	191 	Sr./3L 	Oklahoma City, Okla.
WR 	Josh Doctson * 		TCU 		6-3 	195 	Sr./2L 	Mansfield, Texas
TE 	Tre'Von Armstead 	Baylor 		6-6 	270 	Jr./2L 	Port Arthur, Texas
OL 	Spencer Drango #^ 	Baylor 		6-6 	310 	Sr./3L 	Cedar Park, Texas
OL 	Cody Whitehair #^ 	K-State 	6-4 	305 	Sr./3L 	Abilene, Kan.
OL 	Joey Hunt * 		TCU 		6-3 	295 	Sr./3L 	El Campo, Texas
OL 	Halapoulivaati Vaitai * TCU 		6-6 	308 	Sr./3L 	Haltom, Texas
OL 	Le'Raven Clark #^ 	Texas Tech 	6-6 	307 	Sr./3L 	Rockdale, Texas
PK 	Josh Lambert * 		West Virginia 	5-11 	215 	Jr./2L 	Garland, Texas
KR/PR 	Alex Ross 		Oklahoma 	6-1 	220 	Jr./2L 	Jenks, Okla.

Defense
Pos 	Name 			School 		Ht 	Wt 	Cl/Exp 	Hometown
DL 	Andrew Billings # 	Baylor 		6-2 	300 	Jr./2L 	Waco, Texas
DL 	Shawn Oakman # 		Baylor 		6-9 	280 	Sr./2L 	Philadelphia, Pa.
DL 	Emmanuel Ogbah # 	Oklahoma State 	6-4 	275 	Jr./2L 	Houston, Texas
DL 	Davion Pierson 		TCU 		6-2 	305 	Sr./3L 	Oklahoma City, Okla.
DL 	Pete Robertson * 	Texas Tech 	6-3 	243 	Sr.3L 	Longview, Texas
LB 	Eric Striker #^ 	Oklahoma 	6-0 	223 	Sr./3L 	Seffner, Fla.
LB 	Ryan Simmons 		Oklahoma State 	6-0 	240 	Sr./3L 	Cibolo, Texas
LB 	Nick Kwiatkoski 	West Virginia 	6-2 	235 	Sr./3L 	Bethel Park, Pa.
DB 	Orion Stewart 		Baylor 		6-2 	200 	Jr./2L 	Waco, Texas
DB 	Dante Barnett * 	K-State 	6-1 	193 	Sr./3L 	Tulsa, Okla.
DB 	Zack Sanchez #^ 	Oklahoma 	5-11 	175 	Jr./2L 	Fort Worth, Texas
DB 	Kevin Peterson 		Oklahoma State 	5-11 	190 	Sr./3L 	Wagoner, Okla.
DB 	Duke Thomas 		Texas 		5-10 	178 	Sr./3L 	Killeen, Texas
DB 	Karl Joseph #^ 		West Virginia 	5-11 	197 	Sr./3L 	Orlando, Fla.
P 	Taylor Symmank 		Texas Tech 	6-3 	194 	Sr./2L 	McKinney, Texas
A tie in voting at DB created an additional spot.
^ 2014 Preseason Team
# 2014 All-Big 12 First Team selection
* 2014 All-Big 12 Second Team selection 

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Bert just called his bowl win over Texas "borderline erotic" at media days.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Thoguh posted:

Bert just called his bowl win over Texas "borderline erotic" at media days.

Better he gets off from football games than from Arkansas volley ball players

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Spintzel posted:

Better he gets off from football games than from Arkansas volley ball players

Have you seen the tail at Arkansas? Probably easier to get off on the football games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

Every conference should get 14 members and do this.

This is actually really good. I like it a lot.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

vyst posted:

Have you seen the tail at Arkansas? Probably easier to get off on the football games.

Does Bert seem like the picky type to you?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

No, he pretty consistently whines when he doesn't go undefeated or is embarrassed in any way.

He whined after Utah crushed them in 08. Has been whining about tempo and plays per game for several years now. Then they get beat by OSU and it's because of the timing of the draaaft graaaades :qq:. It's been a pretty common theme for years now, and it's super loving annoying. Bob Stoops does it too.

:ssh: Ohio St got theirs too, and they cut your rear end. Quite whining.

He's directly answering questions from reporters about what issues he thinks last year's team had. That and he's been well established as a perfectionist that's always trying to make things even marginally better. Would you rather he say "Well everything was in our favor but we just weren't good enough?" He's not even being petulant, he says it all matter of factly, as if he was doing an autopsy. At no point did he say "We would have won but ___," people ask him what his team's problems were and he tells them what he thinks. If you want can-do attitudes and bullish sentiments look for interviews of his strength and conditioning coach, but Saban's always going to be looking for things that could have been better because that's how he is.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Where is that article from that guy who is supposedly Saban's friend? I'm talking about the one where he said Saban complained that the BCSNCG was preventing him from recruiting.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Morby posted:

Where is that article from that guy who is supposedly Saban's friend? I'm talking about the one where he said Saban complained that the BCSNCG was preventing him from recruiting.

http://www.gq.com/story/coach-nick-saban-alabama-maniac

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

He's directly answering questions from reporters about what issues he thinks last year's team had. That and he's been well established as a perfectionist that's always trying to make things even marginally better. Would you rather he say "Well everything was in our favor but we just weren't good enough?" He's not even being petulant, he says it all matter of factly, as if he was doing an autopsy. At no point did he say "We would have won but ___," people ask him what his team's problems were and he tells them what he thinks. If you want can-do attitudes and bullish sentiments look for interviews of his strength and conditioning coach, but Saban's always going to be looking for things that could have been better because that's how he is.

No the problem is when he blames outside factors that affect every team's chemistry, as if Alabama is the only team that has NFL prospects, or faces HUNH teams or whatever.

It just seems petty and weird for such an amazing coach to not just blame himself, his staff, his team for getting it done.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Nick Saban probably thinks the guy who cut him off on his drive home is a plant from another SEC school trying to run him off the road and kill him.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

No the problem is when he blames outside factors that affect every team's chemistry, as if Alabama is the only team that has NFL prospects, or faces HUNH teams or whatever.

It just seems petty and weird for such an amazing coach to not just blame himself, his staff, his team for getting it done.

I have a follow up story for you!

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...id=484897859939

quote:

HOOVER, Ala. -- Every year, it seems, Nick Saban comes to SEC Media Days and uses the platform to push one or two big talking points. This year the Alabama head man took several opportunities on Wednesday to discuss an issue that was troubling him and had impacted his program: The NFL's timeline for underclassmen to learn their draft grades from the pro evaluators.
Saban pointed out the deadline when an underclassmen needs to submit for a draft grade is Dec. 15, and the players get the results around Christmas. "And then you have a playoff game coming up on Jan. 1 or 2, and I think it's my obligation as a coach to inform that young man when I get that information, because it's his information not my information," Saban said. "And we're talking about a young person who has to deal with a lot now."
Saban's teams have been upset in the past two bowl games -- in 2014 by No. 11 Oklahoma, 45-31, and in 2015 his No. 1 team was knocked off by No. 4 Ohio State, 42-35.
"Our team chemistry from the SEC title game to the (Ohio State game) was definitely affected by something," he said.
Lots of folks, including all Buckeye fans who have images of Ezekiel Elliott running wild through the Tide D, will take this as Saban making an excuse when what affected Bama most was Urban Meyer's team. After all, wouldn't this be an issue for most top teams?
In response to those saying Saban is making an excuse, the Alabama coach told the SEC Network, "It wasn't an excuse at all for losing to Ohio State. There is no excuse. We didn't play well. It's my responsibility, and I didn't manage it as well as I should have."
Alabama linebacker Reggie Ragland, who opted to return to Tuscaloosa for his senior season after considering the NFL, reaffirmed Saban's stance.
"I'd say guys got distracted by people in their ear," the senior said at SEC Media Days. "With me, the people that were in my ear, I wouldn't answer the phone. I was just worried about playing football.
"A lot of guys got sidetracked by that, but I think this year coming up we've got a lot of guys that are not worried about the NFL. They're just worried about right now."
Senior center Ryan Kelly didn't think it was a huge issue for last year's Crimson Tide but said, "Obviously Saban keeps bringing it up, so I guess it was." Kelly acknowledged the issue would have applied to both Alabama and Ohio State, "but obviously they did a better job managing it than we did."
It's certainly a valid point regarding the distractions teams have to cope with, just not one exclusive to the Tide. Think of all the distractions the Buckeyes had over the last month of the season, including the death of teammate Kosta Karageorge.
Saban noted that his program has had an unusually high number of young players engaged in that process with six getting evaluations last year and 11 the year before.
"So we're trying to get ready for a game and all of a sudden, a guy finds out he's a 'first-round' draft pick or a guy that thought he was a first-rounder finds out he's not a 'first-rounder,'" Saban said. "I think it would be better not to submit that information to a player until (his season) is completed. We've moved the draft back. We have not moved the date that a player has to declare back."
Saban also said that some of his players played not to get hurt in the Sugar Bowl.
He said he thinks a week to 10-day delay would be ideal for the draft evaluation process. I asked how -- besides from talking about it in these settings -- does he try to make it happen. Saban said he's spoken to some other coaches who had "moderate interest" in the issue. Some of the pushback he got on that was that by pushing one thing back it'd then further squeeze roster management with Signing Day coming up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

In a followup. Reasonable to criticize the first statement.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

My point still stands.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have google news set as my home page, giving me top stories etc. However, I also have College Football set as a topic I want news and info on. During the season, its mostly ok, but in the off season all I get is stock and financial info because of the tag "BCS". Does google just not care or can they really not figure out how to filter out financial stories instead of actual college ones? Also, why even have BCS as a tag anymore?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

swickles posted:

I have google news set as my home page, giving me top stories etc. However, I also have College Football set as a topic I want news and info on. During the season, its mostly ok, but in the off season all I get is stock and financial info because of the tag "BCS". Does google just not care or can they really not figure out how to filter out financial stories instead of actual college ones? Also, why even have BCS as a tag anymore?

You can remove certain sources from appearing in general in the "Personalize" settings, might help a little

e: I just found this video and you all would probably enjoy it too okay bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A15NEtKKroQ

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 16, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
All of the documents just became public in the McNair vs NCAA case

Expect some goodies in the next hour or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Strahan being all over morning TV owns because Tiki Barber wanted that career so dang bad and then that gap toothed goofus swooped in out of nowhere and got it instead.

Didn't Tiki leave his pregnant wife for an NBC intern, then Strahan came in a year later?

• Locked thread