Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The point is that it would damage the party to the point of crippling it and throw their ability to support down ballot races into chaos.

Not only that, having someone that's openly racist on a ticket means that a whole lot of minorities that normally wouldn't vote would now have motivation to vote against said racist rear end in a top hat, and in turn they would vote in favor of the party that's opposite of that racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Fried Chicken posted:

Transgender changes in the military

Yeah, maybe you shouldn't put up things that haven't happened.

I'm transgender, and I cannot enlist.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

mlmp08 posted:

Setting aside this useless anecdotal data, do you just run around all day asking every person if Obama is a Muslim? Or is it just that only crazy people ever feel the need to talk about his faith, and they think he's a secret Muslim?

Probably the second. Crazy racist people will absolutely tell you unacceptable racist things if they think you're an OK person to tell them to, even if they do not personally know you at all. One time I ordered Chinese Food and the obese white guy that delivered it warned me not to eat to much because he said, and I quote: "I gained 50 pounds since I started working for the chinks". I had never met this guy before.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SuperDucky posted:

:shh: The atlanta metro is uselessly large as a statistical area. There are areas of the atl metro where less than 5% of the population is black.

On the whole for the country, I'd say that's accurate.

Purely anecdotal? Yes. Hardly irrelevant when it comes up within 10 minutes of mildly political conversation. Every. Time. Its a universally accepted, mild, agreeable epithet against that nig homofascistmuslimcommietrator in the white hut. Freep is real and it is out there.

Stop hanging out with weirdos. I've talked with plenty of literal white defense contractor upper middle class white guys who didn't get close to saying anything so crazy even when bitching about Obama.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Probably the second. Crazy racist people will absolutely tell you unacceptable racist things if they think you're an OK person to tell them to, even if they do not personally know you at all. One time I ordered Chinese Food and the obese white guy that delivered it warned me not to eat to much because he said, and I quote: "I gained 50 pounds since I started working for the chinks". I had never met this guy before.

My point being that I'm well known as the only atheist liberal in my 'social' group. They still routinely bring things like this up because they cannot fathom a world in which there is not a muslim in the White House.

mlmp08 posted:

Stop hanging out with weirdos. I've talked with plenty of literal white defense contractor upper middle class white guys who didn't get close to saying anything so crazy even when bitching about Obama.
Again, I was making a geographical point. Its not just people out in the boonies, and bringing this derail back to a cogent point about the election, rich white dudes in the city are just as racist as people with 3 teeth in the hills.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Thalantos posted:

Let's be more specific then: the ban isn't lifted yet, but will be in 6 months. The military is slow as gently caress about these things. You will be able to enlist then. This article will give you some more information.

Best of luck to you if you decide to enlist. Being gay kept me out of the air force, by the time the ban was lifted I had missed that opportunity, and I hope you have more luck than I did.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Spacebump posted:

Currently, there is no way a public atheist would win the nomination for either party.

Man, atheists gotta get some better PR if they're trusted less than rapists.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gyges posted:

Holy poo poo, Priebus' name is actually Reinhold Richard Priebus. Why the gently caress would you just up and decide to go by Reince?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Better question, why wouldn't you just use Richard?

I've consulted my 12-year-old self and concluded Reince probably got real tired of being called "Dick Reinhole" during school, as well as numerous variation and plays on that theme.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

What if it's a Trump/Cruz vs. Bush! vs. Hillary election and Hillary doesn't quite make 270, but still has a majority, but then Trump/Cruz or Bush! drops out after the election and pledges their electors to the other, revealing the GOP split-the-vote long game meta strat

can this happen, in any way, at all

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I've been asking HBO to kick Bill Maher off for a while now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trabisnikof posted:

Reagan lost in 1976 just like Trump will lose now :ssh:

So long as Democrats don't elect some sort of Carter-like figure, they should be fine....

There's a lot you can accuse Hillary Clinton of, but Carter-like is not one of them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, maybe you should follow the news

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/14/us/pentagon-plan-would-let-transgender-people-serve-openly.html?referrer=

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Trumps political judo is masterful. I don't think I'll be making into work on the 7th.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Lol Carter-like figure. Why was he bad again? He sounded like a really nice guy instead of Reagen who just gutted everything.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RACHET posted:

Trumps political judo is masterful. I don't think I'll be making into work on the 7th.

Judo? Trump is Tank Abbott.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Lol Carter-like figure. Why was he bad again? He sounded like a really nice guy instead of Reagen who just gutted everything.

:qq: He wore a sweater!!!:qq:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I, too, think apples are the same thing as oranges.

Gyges posted:

Trump/Cruz would only split the presidential vote. Everyone voting for them is still going to vote Republican for both the Senate and their House district. The only concrete benefit derived for Hillary would be arguing for a mandate. Which the Republicans would never honor anyway and will instead point to Trump/Cruz splitting the ticket to instead argue that she's a loser who lost and Conservatism wins again.

Plenty of people just pull for the entire party when voting for president. Maybe it's not a large number, but it could make some close races flip if it's even only a couple percent that do so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

my bony fealty posted:

What if it's a Trump/Cruz vs. Bush! vs. Hillary election and Hillary doesn't quite make 270, but still has a majority, but then Trump/Cruz or Bush! drops out after the election and pledges their electors to the other, revealing the GOP split-the-vote long game meta strat

can this happen, in any way, at all

If no one gets 270 it goes to the house, so unless there's a massive shake up there (which certainly wouldn't happen in an election where Hillary Clinton gets less than 270 electoral votes) we'll get a Republican or pseudo Republican president.

A Trump/Cruz ticket doesn't steal any Clinton votes.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

In regards to the Trump/Cruz set up, I read about it last night and now I have some thoughts on what they could push:
1) obviously, they both want the nomination but Cruz's thunder has been stolen by Trump (notice how he now has to piggyback on Trumps comments to get noticed instead of making them himself) so he offers his supporters to Trump for VP slot.
2) if neither gets nominated, they could push a 3rd party, Tea Party based run against the "Establishment" in hopes of creating a new "Dixiecrat" party. This would be to either gain more power in the Republican Party or to actually try to create their own.
3) Cruz does not really care about the Presidency and instead wants to consolidate his power where it already is, the House. By taking on the "establishment", Cruz can help bolster Republican turn out for House races and may be able to flip some seats. Considering all of his Tortilla Coast rendezvouses, he could try to make a play for Senator/Speaker (he then takes out the VP and Pres to take over...). In this scenario, Trump is his patsy.
4) joke scenario: Cruz actually told Trump to clam the gently caress up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was about to say he's more analogous to a ice hockey goon from the 70s who only ever takes the ice against youth league players.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He dared to admit America wasn't :perfect: and also that we might need to change our consumer culture a bit.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

William Bear posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-donald-trump-favorability-increasing-120139.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-favorability-ratings-poll-2015-7

Trump's favorabilty seems to be consistently increasing among Republican primary voters, for now. One poll had his favorability among Republican primary voters went from 16% in May, before he announced, to 57% today.

Where is his peak?

Beyond yelling about Mexicans, I think Trump is really tapping into the spite of the republican base. Spite is a huge part of what motivates the right-wing fringe of the party. The left hating him and businesses dropping him due to "political correctness" only makes them like him all the more. They cheered the parts of his speech where he talked about keeping the deposits already paid to him from groups that had cancelled events, I can only assume because they felt he was sticking it to the "PC police."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Carter lost reelection; America doesn't like losers.

The super tl;dr version. Also Operation Eagle Claw cause loving lol.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He's what happens when a genuine Washington outsider gets elected.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

If no one gets 270 it goes to the house, so unless there's a massive shake up there (which certainly wouldn't happen in an election where Hillary Clinton gets less than 270 electoral votes) we'll get a Republican or pseudo Republican president.

Thanks. I need to brush up on basic civics!

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's much more of a Kimbo Slice

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

He's what happens when a genuine Washington outsider gets elected.

Iran takes hostages?!?!?!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot you can accuse Hillary Clinton of, but Carter-like is not one of them.

I agree that Clinton is not the Carter-like candidate in the race for the nomination.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He was bad in that he was unable to get much of his agenda done because he didn't work well with the Democratic majorities in the Legislature. He's a pretty good guy personally, but he told America the truth while the economy sucked and Iran was holding hostages. So Regan got to come in and tell pretty lies all the way to the White House.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Plenty of people just pull for the entire party when voting for president. Maybe it's not a large number, but it could make some close races flip if it's even only a couple percent that do so.

Can you even do that in most places? I know if Florida you can't.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One thing is certain: by the time Donald "She talks like a truck driver" Trump's done, we will know once and for all just how much of the Republican base is made up of total lunatics.

Gyges posted:

I believe you can in Indiana. I forget if it's up to the state or the county.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

In Texas you can; it'll auto select all of the (eg) Democrats if you want it to.

I don't know what happens if there's a race without that particular party though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RACHET posted:

He's much more of a Kimbo Slice

One of the two can beat a fifty year old man in something

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

I don't know what happens if there's a race without that particular party though.

You don't cast a vote in that race if you vote straight ticket.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

In Texas you can; it'll auto select all of the (eg) Democrats if you want it to.

Also in Texas. I can go back and fill in all the G, L or R candidates in races with no D before I submit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't matter if the entire House goes Double Super Communist in 2016, the current House gets to chose who wins the electoral vote in the event that no one reaches 270. Of course a conservative 3rd party is all but guaranteed to make it a completely moot point as Hillary wins in an electoral landslide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RACHET posted:

I've already worked on concocting a drinking game to play with my friends as we watch.

We're going to randomly assign each person a candidate and have everyone come up with a one-drink rule for the debate. Whoever made the rule that comes up the least loses and must actively defend and support their assigned candidate on Facebook, with no hint of irony, for 24 hours.

There is no way this can go wrong. Also, I will be calling in sick to work the next day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Samuel Clemens posted:

Try riding in an elevator with one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Also, aren't the majority of people in Metropolitan Atlanta black?

Not even close

1/3 at best.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think Cruz contacted Trump to see what he wants to leave the race. Trump doesn't actually want to deal with being president, so he's got to find a way to bow out, and if Cruz can be the one who benefits, that's a huge bump for him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Any right wing third party is a catastrophe for the GOP. As noted, it steals no votes from Clinton, only from the GOP candidate.

What it means is that it puts the tossup states that often determine the contest into the Democratic column, like FL and OH, and puts the "starting to lean blue" states like VA out of reach for the GOP, and might make states that are now out of reach for the Dems be a contest like MO and IN. Probably put NC in the Dem column too.

Even if a Trump/Cruz party (or whoever) won any states that would be hugely offset by states they would move from GOP to Dem and states that they would prevent the GOP from being able to contest. It would make it really easy for the Democrats to get 270 rather than prevent anyone from getting 270.

Trump/Cruz wouldn't win any states themselves, either. Please name the states they would win over the GOP nominee.

Plus it's a nonstarter because no way would the two biggest egomaniacs (in a contest full of world class egomaniacs) tolerate being on the same ticket together. Just determining who gets the top bunk would be the source of lethal knife fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Harrow posted:

I've already worked on concocting a drinking game to play with my friends as we watch.

We're going to randomly assign each person a candidate and have everyone come up with a one-drink rule for the debate. Whoever made the rule that comes up the least loses and must actively defend and support their assigned candidate on Facebook, with no hint of irony, for 24 hours.

There is no way this can go wrong. Also, I will be calling in sick to work the next day.

Great stakes

• Locked thread