Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Humphrey Vasel posted:

That comment really bugs me (the way he/she puts brackets parentheses in every sentence).

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

They are a type of bracket, so he was technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Also every loving time I see this image I have to stop and laugh at it for a good minute or so

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They are a type of bracket, so he was technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Also every loving time I see this image I have to stop and laugh at it for a good minute or so

why not the back left one.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Not going to argue. Check a dictionary, mkay?

(And what the blistering green gently caress is that in the picture?)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pomp posted:

why not the back left one.

It's on (the dials/hot surface indicator) but it's not on a current "heating up to X temp" cycle.

It's the beauty in the details, man.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Always makes me think of cooking with hoarders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_YXN8PiFNM

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Samizdata posted:

Not going to argue. Check a dictionary, mkay?

(And what the blistering green gently caress is that in the picture?)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket

A parenthesis (plural parentheses) is a type of bracket used for punctuation.

Also it's someone trying to use a standard ceramic stove top as a hibachi, for chicken.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Jul 15, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Eat the Eggs! Eat them!

Only the brave will venture here

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The best part about this is that someone sent it to Gordon Ramsay :allears:

In food related news, my boss just brought in a Noah's Ark from the diner up the street, and is apparently enjoying it. I didn't even know they sold veggie/fish patties, and the smell is indescribable. It hurts my nostrils just sitting here. I'm gonna try to get a photo of this abomination.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'll have the continental breakfast with the screaming eggs, and a coffee, thx

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Poorly cooked hotdogs and vienna sausages always remind me of tteokbokki

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

This is the reason my parents never allowed me to have a soda stream when I was young.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

VendaGoat posted:

I wonder if you could carbonate Sambuca

I would think that whatever booze you're working with would have to have a fairly high water content like maybe 80 proof vodka. Can pure ethanol be carbonated? Anybody have a Sodastream and a fifth of Everclear?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"We have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen."

Eh, I'd try it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I made a chicken chili yesterday and used a recipe that called for a can of diced jalapenos, a can of green chiles, and a teaspoon of cayenne along with three cans of white beans and two pounds of chicken among other things. It billed itself as "kinda spicy". It wasn't, even with fresh jalapenos including seeds, and turned out to be a little bland instead (ended up having to put in a bunch more spices and full tablespoon of cayenne in, next time I'm just swapping it out for habaneros instead).

But hey, one thing I like about online recipes is that people have their own tips and tricks on how to improve it, and with a chili that was kind of bland, there must be people putting solutions to it online.

quote:

I had to use many of the reviewers' suggestions to make this a recipe I would use. I decreased the spice considerably (by 3/4 for the hot spices), puréed a third of the whit beans to make it more like chili and less like soup, and add vegetables (I added corn, baby spinach and carrots). This was good, and I will continue fine tuning it, especially with the spice blend. Next time I will replace oregano with marjoram.

quote:

This recipe is HOT!!! I used the jalapenos only, thinking the chili's and cayenne would be too much. We like our food spicy, but I had to use potatoes to draw some of the spiciness out. Outside of the heat, the chili is on the bland side. We had rice on the side or chili over rice, and cornbread. Sour cream also helped cool down the peppers. Be very aware of the spice. Maybe use the green chili or cayenne and add jalapeno if necessary. I wont be making this again.

quote:

Even though I omitted the jalapeños, this was still way too spicy.

quote:

12 cups... I added a can of corn, added a can of cream of chicken, used all mild green chilies instead of jalapenos (it came out perfectly spiced), and threw everything into the crockpot on high for 4 hours. I hand-shredded the chicken at the end and put it back in. Delicious! Oh, and I also pureed one can of the white beans and that really helped to thicken things up.

quote:

I only used two cans of beans, no jalapeños, and taco seasoning mix because I was out of cumin.

Control Volume has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jul 15, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tree Goat posted:

I'm glad you wrote what this was because I had it at a Korean restaurant years ago and I've been trying to describe it as "that vaguely hot Alphaghetti stuff" much to the bemusement of my audience.

^^ LOL. "I took out the spicy stuff, but it was too spicy, maybe next time less onions"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

But hey, one thing I like about online recipes is that people online have their own tips and tricks on how to improve it, and with a chili that was kind of bland, there must be people putting solutions to it online.

This is the most shameful thing posted in this thread so far

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Tree Goat posted:

I thought they were carrots before your post...

Edit - in the 1960s jello thing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sad, boring people posted:

-potatoes
-baby corn
-spinach
-carrots
-cream of chicken soup

I'm from Ohio, so I don't even chili all that well. Yet, this hurts my feelings.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ahhhh I was going to re-post that from the guild thread.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Control Volume posted:

I made a chicken chili yesterday and used a recipe that called for a can of diced jalapenos, a can of green chiles, and a teaspoon of cayenne along with three cans of white beans and two pounds of chicken among other things. It billed itself as "kinda spicy". It wasn't, even with fresh jalapenos including seeds, and turned out to be a little bland instead (ended up having to put in a bunch more spices and full tablespoon of cayenne in, next time I'm just swapping it out for habaneros instead).

But hey, one thing I like about online recipes is that people have their own tips and tricks on how to improve it, and with a chili that was kind of bland, there must be people putting solutions to it online.

I've read these before and it's still so depressing. These kind of people would think celery is too spicy, the poor bastards. Look what years of eating loose meat sandwiches and hot dish does to you. :smith:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I would think that whatever booze you're working with would have to have a fairly high water content like maybe 80 proof vodka. Can pure ethanol be carbonated? Anybody have a Sodastream and a fifth of Everclear?

i can do this but I don't have any million candlepower spotlights to record. should I light a few hundred candles then try?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

The very best part of online recipe reviews is all the people writing to say "This is terrible/fantastic! I didn't have baking soda so I used Sprite, and we were out of cocoa so I use shredded coconut instead, and I only had half the yogurt it called for so I made up the difference with tapioca pudding." After all their substitutions, it's not even the same recipe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

I've read these before and it's still so depressing. These kind of people would think celery is too spicy, the poor bastards. Look what years of eating loose meat sandwiches and hot dish does to you. :smith:

Yeah, about the only thing some of these people got right was keeping the beans.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*ollies out*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I didn't have any vanilla so I used Brut for Men"

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This looks to be a vaguely-southwest baked spinach and cheese dip in a really cool piece of glass that they have carelessly dripped on. Would dip a chip and steal the bowl.

quote:

lmao

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuna pizza with Frank's Red Hot?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Chard posted:

This looks to be a vaguely-southwest baked spinach and cheese dip in a really cool piece of glass that they have carelessly dripped on. Would dip a chip and steal the bowl.

The picture is titled "I thought it was glass"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what happens when you use a non-oven safe bowl/tray whatever when trying to make dip or a casserole, it almost looks like plastic.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PubicMice posted:

The picture is titled "I thought it was glass"

:stonk: rescinding my promise to dip and burgle

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought there was some kind of ultra fancy molecular thing going on. Like they managed to make transparent bread.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
One of FPlus's more recent horrible recipes-related episodes: http://thefpl.us/episode/179

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

My dog would like to know why someone placed his bowel movements on a plate and took a photo?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

EZipperelli posted:

My dog would like to know why someone placed his bowel movements on a plate and took a photo?

Bring your dog to the vet

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
This probably belongs to this thread and yet this it's one of my favorite dishes (carbonnade). It's almost impossible to make it look good no matter how hard you try.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That looks pretty good. It's just a curry with bigger meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

chaos rhames posted:

That looks pretty good. It's just a curry with bigger meat.

A brown curry made out of beer.

• Locked thread