Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rossmum posted:

Ocean actually owns and I am sorry to all the people who require islands as a crutch.

(Substitute "IS-8" for "ocean" and "armour" for "islands" as necessary for bad WoT opinions.)

I quite like Ocean for something a little different. If every game was Ocean it would be dull but the occasional one is good I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

PirateBob posted:

How often did you use AP in the Omaha, btw? In the open beta I've fired almost nothing but HE so far. I'm closing in on unlocking the Omaha now and I'm unsure of when to switch to AP.
Like rossmum said, use AP when an enemy cruiser shows you its broadside. You can citadel every cruiser you are likely to face except Cleveland, which has thick enough armor that would require you to get so close to citadel that you might as well use torps. On the other hand, be careful to angle your ship so you do not eat citadel hits in return.

I had a hilarious Omaha on Omaha duel the other day. I was at half health from fighting all match. A full health Omaha that had been pussyfooting around the edge of the map all game decided to try to finish me. It was shooting HE while presenting its broadside to me. I killed it from full to zero before it could finish off my remaining health spamming HE.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Two good AP salvoes can finish off a flat phoenix or Omaha from full. It's fantastic.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I panicked a pubbie Pensacola so badly from my first (citadel-crushing) AP salvo last match that he proceeded to beach himself, allowing me to citadel him a second time and then nearly finish him before he finally got into cover.

The Atago is loving filthy.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

rossmum posted:

Ocean actually owns and I am sorry to all the people who require islands as a crutch.
(Substitute "IS-8" for "ocean" and "armour" for "islands" as necessary for bad WoT opinions.)

Yeah it's a cool map, and it's hilarious how many people complain about it. Though it certainly didn't take forever to create. I wouldn't mind having some variants of open ocean. Just to have a bit of visual variety.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rossmum posted:

I panicked a pubbie Pensacola so badly from my first (citadel-crushing) AP salvo last match that he proceeded to beach himself, allowing me to citadel him a second time and then nearly finish him before he finally got into cover.

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO THROW MONEY AT THIS GAME!

Seriously though, I spent enough on tanks as it is :negative: I am really happy with the Warspite so if the Atago is a solid CV I might have to persuade myself to get it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm never really clear what it means by citadel on a boat, is it the conning tower? I've not come across it before.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

I'm never really clear what it means by citadel on a boat, is it the conning tower? I've not come across it before.

It's been covered a few times in this thread but it's basically hitting a ship in the soft, squishy bits for extra damage.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aramoro posted:

The citadel is deep inside the ship. It is usally all the vital parts - engine, ammo, etc - which are surrounded by armor more often than not. If anything penetrates there is basically meant death for a real ship. Here it is just a crit that deals a bunch of damage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, you aren't guaranteed of a citadel hit even if you hit the exact same place you did before - from what I've been told it's entirely chance-based.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If anyone's getting issues with the Rising Sun flag replacement, where signal flags are hosed up and some national flags are switched, it's because WG inexplicably changed the layout of the various flags on the texture file. I have gone ahead and fixed it for you, just drop the unzipped folder into res/mods and overwrite.

Interestingly it seems WG have included only one texture for Germany, which means people trying to make historical flag replacements are going to have a bitch of a time separating the Kaiserliche Marine, Reichsmarine, and Kriegsmarine out. By comparison, the Imperial Russian Navy and Soviet Navy use two separate spaces on the texture. Later I might replace the current texture (KM naval jack/post-1933 RM ensign) with the KM ensign. Wargaming seem not to quite understand the traditions governing their placement, either - Warspite's White Ensign should be flying from her mast, it was only flown astern while docked up. I presume the same is true of the IJN ships, meaning only the USN ones have their ensign displayed properly.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Where is the citadel on the Cleveland?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Krataar posted:

As a general rule, aiming at the waterline below the funnels is a good start. Magazines are more finnicky, but can be found underneath gun turrets, also near the waterline. Remember that on cruisers and destroyers, there's a lot less ship underwater - the engine spaces on many cruisers extend all the way to the deck. Battleships, meanwhile, hide most of their vitals under the waterline, so you'll need plunging fire to really consistently gently caress them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Krataar posted:

It's the boat.
The middle of it.
At the waterline.

Like literally every boat ever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The base Cleveland isn't all that, but once you get the upgrade that improves the RoF on your guns it gets a lot better. It was easy to do that in CBT, but now that we are in OBT it take 9.8k just to upgrade the hull and then a further 5.5k to upgrade the guns. I honestly prefer the Cleveland but you can't do the 'weave in/out' thing that you can do with the Omaha.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michaellaneous posted:

It's the boat.
The middle of it.
At the waterline.

Like literally every boat ever.

The Cleveland isn't too bad, but i have no idea how to hit the citadel on the St Louis. Even with the Murmansk I've only ever hit it ONCE. All that crap up top blocks plunging fire it seems.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rossmum posted:

Interestingly it seems WG have included only one texture for Germany, which means people trying to make historical flag replacements are going to have a bitch of a time separating the Kaiserliche Marine, Reichsmarine, and Kriegsmarine out. By comparison, the Imperial Russian Navy and Soviet Navy use two separate spaces on the texture. Later I might replace the current texture (KM naval jack/post-1933 RM ensign) with the KM ensign. Wargaming seem not to quite understand the traditions governing their placement, either - Warspite's White Ensign should be flying from her mast, it was only flown astern while docked up. I presume the same is true of the IJN ships, meaning only the USN ones have their ensign displayed properly.

They might add as necessary, but why bother when the KM had literally the best flag?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Like delete CVs

Not gonna lie, the best matches i have had in CBT and OBT were where there was like 6-7 battleships on each team and 5-6 cruisers. No CV no DD.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
they could just remove cv's and refund the players xp to free XP only useable in world of warplanes

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Ihmemies posted:

Those numbers are facts. Omaha is a better ship in every way. It even gets to play better maps and easier enemies. Omaha could relatively easily carry games, Cleveland.. hell no.

Since I assume you claim Cleveland is not a POS, I could use some advice how to make it not suck. With Omaha I got avg exp over 1700 and dmg over 52000: http://worldofwarships.eu/community/accounts/500155007-Ihmemies/#!ships_pvp

How I can do the same with Cleveland?

I have not gotten back to it in open beta, so things may have changed, but the old trick to the Cleveland was to shoot AP first and last. The Cleveland's shells are so slow that at the edge of their fire range they are basically dropping straight down. If you start out with AP at 11 km or so you can get citadels all day by dropping shells on the deck. Then switch to HE for the mid range gun breaking and fire starting, and finally back to AP for the brawl. Also never not be drunk driving and stay the gently caress away from the Fuso.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hagop posted:

Also never not be drunk driving and stay the gently caress away from the Fuso.

Pretty sound advice for any ship class.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Sick carrier matchmaking.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed the guy matched up with a tier 6. Fair, I guess?

rossmum posted:

gently caress, I want to wait for a small discount before I buy it - even 5% would be enough - but now I'm scared they'll take it out of the shop again or something.

OSad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 15, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That poor Langley!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

rossmum posted:

Speaking of AP, don't let the current HE/fire meta turn your brain into pubbie mush.

Lol, got it.

It's easier to grab a chance to land AP hits against soft ships on these quick firing USN cruisers. :)

Is there any point in firing 152mm AP at BBs though, ever?

Also, why am I rewarded a single flag for some achievements instead of 10? Is that what happens when you've already got some flags of that type? :confused:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

Lol, got it.

It's easier to grab a chance to land AP hits against soft ships on these quick firing USN cruisers. :)

Also, why am I rewarded a single flag for some achievements instead of 10? Is that what happens when you've already got some flags of that type? :confused:

I think you can only get the 10 flags once every 24 hours.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Lol, got it.

I think that's just for the Zulu flag. I guess that after the credit on-track mission in world of tanks, they want to keep the credit economy in check on this game?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With my Omaha, I use AP against other cruisers. One game I was consistently getting Citadel hits against cruisers that did exactly 10,000 damage, such is a lot vs a Cruiser. If they have half heath and you Citadel them, you have a chance to blow them up in a single salvo. Far more preferable than sandblasting them with HE.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

PirateBob posted:

I wouldn't bother. Plunging fire against them doesn't really begin to do anything until 8", and even then you need good hits and a weak-decked BB target.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Burno posted:

Not gonna lie, the best matches i have had in CBT and OBT were where there was like 6-7 battleships on each team and 5-6 cruisers. No CV no DD.

Yeah, CVs seem to fall into the same trap as snipers do in most shooters. They may be fun to play as, but on the receiving end it's just annoying, and there's little you can actively do against them unless you're one yourself. They also don't fulfill a particularly necessary role in the grand scheme of things that isn't already covered by destroyers. By comparison I don't really mind DDs, they at least need to take a significant risk when they go in for an attack.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

rossmum posted:

I wouldn't bother. Plunging fire against them doesn't really begin to do anything until 8", and even then you need good hits and a weak-decked BB target.
Yeah, I tried firing AP from my Phoenix at max range just to see what would happen, and while I did get some ok shots off the effective range where you can get decent plunging shots was so small it's not really worth switching over to AP for it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ihmemies posted:

Those numbers are facts. Omaha is a better ship in every way. It even gets to play better maps and easier enemies. Omaha could relatively easily carry games, Cleveland.. hell no.

Since I assume you claim Cleveland is not a POS, I could use some advice how to make it not suck. With Omaha I got avg exp over 1700 and dmg over 52000: http://worldofwarships.eu/community/accounts/500155007-Ihmemies/#!ships_pvp

How I can do the same with Cleveland?

I dunno, try hitting people with your shots? 3K damage volleys with HE on a Cleveland is where its at, and the Cleveland shoots hilariously fast. The Omaha also doesn't have Defensive Fire or Hydroacoustic Search, and can't bring all of its turrets to bear on a target. The Cleveland is basically better in every way. The only major difference is that the Cleveland's shots are a little floatier than the Omaha's, so you need to lead a bit more (in my experience). You will MAUL Omahas within 8 KM, though, fire AP into their exposed broadside for easy citadels and a dead Omaha. DDs and planes will fear you.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I finally got this and holy poo poo is it ever amazing. What ships should I focus on? Are any of the premiums worth getting?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
This is what makes battleships fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vy7zSULxsY

Appart from that I find cruisers much more enjoyable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I finally got this and holy poo poo is it ever amazing. What ships should I focus on? Are any of the premiums worth getting?

Murmansk, Ishizuchi (*relatively* cheap and probably ~going away~ soon), Atago/Atlanta, roughly in that order of value for the dollar. The Atago is a better earner and jack-of-all-trades than the Atlanta, and seeing as you're a brand-newbie to the game, dropping yourself in Tier 7 or 8 from the get-go is probably not the best idea. You can buy the Murmansk and Ishizuchi (which is cash purchase only, by the way - not available through the in-game store) for half the cash of what the Atago or Atlanta cost for either.

Comedy option is the Aurora. It's pretty mediocre, but at its core it's a really cheap Russian analog of the St. Louis (but they're not the same ship).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have terrible tunnel vision because I love to use the shell cam when firing a lot of guns and seeing the shells sail through the sky before smashing into the water above and below the enemy ship. Well maybe not the last part but flying along with the shots for a first class view of the carnage is pretty great.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Murmansk, Ishizuchi (cheap and probably ~going away~ soon), Atago/Atlanta, roughly in that order of value for the dollar. The Atago is a better earner and jack-of-all-trades than the Atlanta, and seeing as you're a brand-newbie to the game, dropping yourself in Tier 7 or 8 from the get-go is probably not the best idea. You can buy the Murmansk and Ishizuchi (which is cash only, by the way - not available in-game) for half the cash of what the Atago or Atlanta cost for either.

Comedy option is the Aurora. It's pretty mediocre, but at its core it's a really cheap Russian analog of the St. Louis (but they're not the same ship).

Well a friend gave me some bonus code so I have the Mumansk. I'll look into grabing an Ishizuchi.

Is Sky Cancer basically arty? I loved arty in WoT. Also, what class would most line up with the French mediums? Fast, lots of boom, die really easy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Carriers are essentially their own arcane sub-game in the style of an RTS.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

PirateBob posted:

Lol, got it.

i got a citadel on a myogi with a tenryu the other day :iiam:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well a friend gave me some bonus code so I have the Mumansk. I'll look into grabing an Ishizuchi.

Is Sky Cancer basically arty? I loved arty in WoT. Also, what class would most line up with the French mediums? Fast, lots of boom, die really easy.

The Ishizuchi isn't anything special, it's just pretty much - by its own 'bio' - a Kongo prototype that's got two on the hood and three on the trunk (so you can mass fire better while withdrawing while presenting a smaller target), and unlike the Arkansas Beta, has a bare minimum of AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I think I've found my pubbie good luck charm. Guy I nuked right off the bat in my Sims invited me to a division, I decided to join, every single match I ended up pulling ridiculous carries. Last one before we both quit was a 7-kill, >100k damage Iwaki match. 1800 base XP loss.

yaay posted:

i got a citadel on a myogi with a tenryu the other day :iiam:

Playing with Ren_Nerd earlier, he killed an Amagi from full HP alone, in a New York. All citadels. It was hilarious.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 15, 2015