Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The creator of Unloved is working on an Unreal 4 game of the same name that's still fairly early in development, but kinda looks like The Binding Of Isaac in first person, with Doom-style combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Korendian Leader posted:

Why are you bothering with 'pistol starts' if you are modifying the game so heavily? You're not going to have a very good grasp of map balance or be able to appreciate encounter design unless you play them without mods.

Well that particular run was heavily modified due to the typo in my pk3, but normally I'm keeping things at a low enough spawn rate that there's only a handful of non-standard enemies per encounter. Right now I don't think I have anything new spawning more than 10% of the time. It was interesting how different things felt when all Imps = Demons. Like I said I could barely make it out of the starting room and some of the traps felt really weird being just rooms full of Pinkys rather than smaller ranged enemies. But that kind of thing is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, my goal is to keep the same 'feel' of stock Doom and just add a little variety to large encounters so I'm not mowing down rooms full of clones over and over. Using BrutalDoom in the first place kind of wrecks anything specifically balanced around stock enemies since you can headshot things down so much faster than in vanilla.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Or, more to the point, they can kill you much faster because their behavior has been altered.

So, I mean, complaining about imbalance when you're using balance-altering mods like Brutal seems a little silly.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I convinced my friend to play DN3D on Let's Rock and he sent me this and hates me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Douk Douk posted:

I convinced my friend to play DN3D on Let's Rock and he sent me this and hates me.

Did he jump straight to Episode 2 or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Douk Douk posted:

loving :lol:

He's not wrong

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, so just a heads-up, if you happen to be rocking two monitors, and the left one (whether it's your main display or not) is listed as monitor #1, and you have it set up as Portrait, GZDoom will refuse to acknowledge the other monitor, and will consistently gently caress up the resolutions for you, so the game is constantly taller rather that wider.

What I think fixed this for me was opening up the ini file (something like zdoom-<your username>.ini), and changing the value of "vid_renderer" to "2" rather than "1". If you had 3 monitors, and wanted the game to only pay attention to monitor 3, then you'd switch that out for "3".

Just something I thought would help. I have my left monitor set to portrait for work, and I have been trying to play Doom at work. Otherwise, I wouldn't be bothering.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Finally made it to Delta Labs in Doom 3, I think I have the mob's patterns down pretty good now. Really about the only thing I can complain about is that the game just hates alt tabbing. A google search said "press alt enter before alt tabbing" and holly poo poo that really fucks up Doom 3 leaving me with nothing but an unresponsive gray screen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Gearbox has done some concept work on a new Duke Nukem

Randy posted:

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so we could all experience Duke Nukem Forever. That was the toll to pay to give Duke a chance," he said. "We’ve done some concept development [for a new game] and I think the challenges are there. Gearbox is very busy. I think the faster way is that a correct developer can become interested and we can work with them."

I've said it before, but Machine Games would make a fantastic Duke Nukem game and it's a shame that they're part of Zenimax since I doubt that Zenimax would play ball.

Also, PC Gamer gave Forever an 80? I mean, I liked it for the most part but 80?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

Underrated game for me, I'd give it higher than an 80. Random note, I know age is a factor and all, but replaying Half-Life 2 recently which blew me away at the time, it's not that impressive to me now. While a 2011 game, I actually prefer the combat in DNF by far over Half-Life 2, and the comedy appeals to my taste so overall I just dig that game. And I sure think it's a lot better than CoD campaigns which get decent review scores, though granted for console multiplayer too.

And that said, Doom and Duke 3D still blow me away, not saying games as recent as 2004 often age badly, just an example of how I think DNF is good. Somebody has to. Bet on duke that is. Plus if you like it, what score would you give? 70?

Anyways, I do hope we see a badass new Duke Nukem game sometime in the future. DNF went for the Half-life formula plus comedy, as in a big non-combat flavor section and several puzzles and vehicles in a linear campaign. Would be fun to see a Duke game with more open levels, though still linear overall, not Far Cry open world or anything.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

source your quotes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heavy Metal posted:

DNF went for the Half-life formula plus comedy,
unfortunately, none of it was funny, and also the game sucked

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IronicDongz posted:

unfortunately, none of it was funny, and also the game sucked
Not the experience I had with it, and I played it through several times. I know I'm in the minority there, but it's of course just personal taste in some entertainment. If you didn't find a single Jon St. John reading funny, well, for me it'd be tough for what he's saying not to be funny. The guy goes for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

Underrated game for me, I'd give it higher than an 80. Random note, I know age is a factor and all, but replaying Half-Life 2 recently which blew me away at the time, it's not that impressive to me now. While a 2011 game, I actually prefer the combat in DNF by far over Half-Life 2, and the comedy appeals to my taste so overall I just dig that game. And I sure think it's a lot better than CoD campaigns which get decent review scores, though granted for console multiplayer too.

First of all, :suicide:

Second of all, even if you think half-life 2 seems dated now, that's nothing until you've experienced Half-life 2 in virtual reality. Let me tell you; its a whole other ballgame.

catlord posted:

Gearbox has done some concept work on a new Duke Nukem

I've said it before, but Machine Games would make a fantastic Duke Nukem game and it's a shame that they're part of Zenimax since I doubt that Zenimax would play ball.

Yeah at this point Machine Games are like the only company I remotely trust with an old school FPS. Or maybe People Can Fly but didn't they go under and get absorbed into Epic?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
By "it" do you mean "a paycheck"?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

And that said, Doom and Duke 3D still blow me away, not saying games as recent as 2004 often age badly, just an example of how I think DNF is good. Somebody has to. Bet on duke that is. Plus if you like it, what score would you give? 70?

Anyways, I do hope we see a badass new Duke Nukem game sometime in the future. DNF went for the Half-life formula plus comedy, as in a big non-combat flavor section and several puzzles and vehicles in a linear campaign. Would be fun to see a Duke game with more open levels, though still linear overall, not Far Cry open world or anything.

"Duke Nukem stuffs a meathook into the toilet and snatches out a turd. This is the modern version of the "grasshopper" snatching a grain of rice out of his master's hand. Later, he confronts all manner of satirical daemons (PIG cops?) and tri-breasted alien queens; he stops to grope an enslaved stripper and dangles his dingus in the eager mouths of incestual lesbian twins (dead-eyed "pets" who haunt the second coming of Sodom and Gommorah, AKA Duke Nukem's skyscraper-mansion).

"Periodically, brawny, neckless men kneel down and enthusiastically worship Nukem--but the shrewd observer will realize that these NPCs only vaguely grasp the reasons why they have made Nukem into their god. They are slaughtered wholesale by the alien invaders, leaving us to wonder if their spirits will pass on to that great stained red carpet and neon sign in the sky.

"I appreciate that we can finally have a protaganist who is Native American."

--Cream-of-Plenty, 2014

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

By "it" do you mean "a paycheck"?
This is what you think of Jon St. John. The man who brought us Big the cat.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

--Cream-of-Plenty, 2014
Can I just say, thank you. And also thank you for saving the Fallout 4 topic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

In that range, yeah, it's a pretty flawed game.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah at this point Machine Games are like the only company I remotely trust with an old school FPS. Or maybe People Can Fly but didn't they go under and get absorbed into Epic?

Last I heard they got free! I'm a little torn on if they could, I remember there was talk about Bulletstorm being a better Duke game than Forever, but while I felt it got a very similar tone, I felt the gameplay, while good, didn't really feel like Duke. I'd be willing to give them a shot though! I'm willing to bet on Duke, Machine Games and People Can Fly.

I wish Bulletstorm would get rid of GFWL. I loved that game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The last time I played HL2 was earlier this year. The graphics may be dated, but as a pure FPS, I don't think it's been surpassed yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Last I heard they got free!
Yep. PCF bought their ownership back from Epic, but from the sounds of things a lot of the Bulletstorm-era PCF team left to form studios like The Astronauts and Flying Wild Hog, or to join other Warsaw-based studios.

According to the lead designer on Bulletstorm, a script and design doc for a sequel exist "but it's not something a small indie studio could ever make. Or should. Market killed games like that."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The last time I played HL2 was earlier this year. The graphics may be dated, but as a pure FPS, I don't think it's been surpassed yet.

HL2 does a fantastic job of creating a story and sense of tension within an FPS without any hard cutscenes, but as far as pure shooting is concerned I prefer Doom or Quake any day.

HL2 is better than like, everything else other than doom though, yeah.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

I'm probably in the minority when I say I prefer HL1 to HL2. With HL1, you saw the plot unfolding and all of the poo poo hit the fan first-hand, from aliens teleporting everywhere to the marines bombing the poo poo out of the place to Xen, it all felt very organic and flowed together leaving just enough to tell you what is going on, but leaving the "why" up for you to decide. Also, the crowbar was fun as gently caress to smash things with.

With HL2, the plot felt like it made less sense and was cobbled together for the sake of plot convenience. How did Alyx know exactly where Freeman was? What are the odds that he was teleported directly into Breen's office? Why was everyone considering Gordon to be the messiah of mankind when it doesn't make sense how the entire human population knew what the hell went down in Xen or Black Mesa? Speaking of which, why the gently caress were so many people ex-Black Mesa faculty members?

HL2 has a much better plot than most other FPSes and I love how it gives subtle hints about the world instead of outright blurting out the backstory everywhere, but I still felt like it was tangled together compared to HL1's organic and developing plot. HL2's setting was far more interesting, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HL2's guns are really really bad, especially because of their dumb balancing decision to give the good guns really tiny ammo pools, which ensures that you'll be using the crap awful-feeling guns (mainly the SMG) most of the time. That's just not fun.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Douk Douk posted:

I'm probably in the minority when I say I prefer HL1 to HL2. With HL1, you saw the plot unfolding and all of the poo poo hit the fan first-hand, from aliens teleporting everywhere to the marines bombing the poo poo out of the place to Xen, it all felt very organic and flowed together leaving just enough to tell you what is going on, but leaving the "why" up for you to decide. Also, the crowbar was fun as gently caress to smash things with.

With HL2, the plot felt like it made less sense and was cobbled together for the sake of plot convenience. How did Alyx know exactly where Freeman was? What are the odds that he was teleported directly into Breen's office? Why was everyone considering Gordon to be the messiah of mankind when it doesn't make sense how the entire human population knew what the hell went down in Xen or Black Mesa? Speaking of which, why the gently caress were so many people ex-Black Mesa faculty members?

HL2 has a much better plot than most other FPSes and I love how it gives subtle hints about the world instead of outright blurting out the backstory everywhere, but I still felt like it was tangled together compared to HL1's organic and developing plot. HL2's setting was far more interesting, though.

I agree with your general sentiment, but the "story" of Half-Life 1 (such as it is) is also way more straightforward than HL2 is. HL1's plot is essentially identical to Doom's: science experiment goes wrong, monsters overrun the base, player must travel to the monster's home dimension to kill the big bad. That's really it. The only real wrinkle in the first game is the appearance of the G-Man. The backstory of many of the elements in the first game - the characterization of Kleiner and Eli, the implied enslavement of the HL1 Vortigaunts by the Combine, the nature of Xen - is retconned in by the sequel. Half-Life 2, on the other hand, starts off with a decade or two's worth of significant events having occurred in the interim, and the player is forced to glean details through offhand dialogue from NPCs and newspaper clippings. There's enough there that you can piece together a lot of what's going on, but almost nothing about HL2's setting is ever stated outright and you're only ever given enough information to accomplish your next task. I think it's a fantastic way to build a world.

gently caress, I miss Half-Life.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I like HL1's gameplay more than HL2's but HL2 does an admittedly better job at building a world and telling a story.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm trying to come up with the names of some good half life 2 mods that just modify the native HL2 experience and don't have an S attached to them but I'm drawing a blank, and most Hl2 mods don't modify the vanilla game but try to make a whole new experience, which usually turns out poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Alain Post posted:

HL2's guns are really really bad, especially because of their dumb balancing decision to give the good guns really tiny ammo pools, which ensures that you'll be using the crap awful-feeling guns (mainly the SMG) most of the time. That's just not fun.

I've talked about this at least two or three times before, and I completely agree. I hate HL2's arsenal. It's one of the most derivative, sterile handful of weapons I've seen in an otherwise competently-designed FPS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly, I don't particularly like the gunplay in either HL 1 or 2. I think the world building, graphics (at the time)/art assets, and story telling were their strong points.

Especially trying to go back and go through them now. Just tried that a couple months ago and I didn't find them all that enjoyable to actually play.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think the biggest issue with HL1 is the level deisgn. The outdoors parts hold up very well, but the indoors bits have pretty clunky level design with ridiulous "realism" and too many cases of vent crawling being the main solution in some way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I found HL2's gunplay reasonably good, but the ammo issues mentioned made me start using cheats around the time you get the Rocket Launcher, also I need to get back to playing, I still haven't gotten around to beating it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drrockso20 posted:

I found HL2's gunplay reasonably good, but the ammo issues mentioned made me start using cheats around the time you get the Rocket Launcher, also I need to get back to playing, I still haven't gotten around to beating it

Speaking of which, is there easy ways to modify Quake and Quake 2 so you can raise the ammo limit for each type super high, but not just make ammo infinite? Or to allow health and armor pickups to infinitely stack as long as you don't die? I like to replay wads with that sort of thing going on in Doom for the interesting change in balance when you can get yourself 1000 health during one map of a megawad and then nearly lose it all to stupidity in the next one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Speaking of which, is there easy ways to modify Quake and Quake 2 so you can raise the ammo limit for each type super high, but not just make ammo infinite? Or to allow health and armor pickups to infinitely stack as long as you don't die? I like to replay wads with that sort of thing going on in Doom for the interesting change in balance when you can get yourself 1000 health during one map of a megawad and then nearly lose it all to stupidity in the next one.

Well the "give [item] #" console command can give you ammo, health, and armor a lot higher than normal, although it doesn't quite stick properly with ammo, so you can play around with that sort of thing a little

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Playing catch with the orb launcher and a couple of guys with gravity guns was a hell of a lot of fun in HL2DM. Braining people with radiator grills was also amazingly satisfying.

The gravity gun was just so drat great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drrockso20 posted:

Well the "give [item] #" console command can give you ammo, health, and armor a lot higher than normal, although it doesn't quite stick properly with ammo, so you can play around with that sort of thing a little

Yeah what I'm after is some sort of command or package I can load into the game that just makes it so that, say, you still start with 100 health, but health pickups will heal you like normal up to like 10,000, you can have up to 100,000 rockets or bullets but you still pick them up int he normal sizes and the like.

From messing around with doing this in Doom, which is quite easy, it's amazing how quickly the medikits you normally would only get a few percent health from or the shotgun shell box you got at 2 shells below the limit can really add up across a large map or a megawad. You can end up with so much spare shell or bullet ammo by a MAP30 that you might need to just lay on the fire button for 20 minutes straight to use it up!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of Half-Life lore, I like to imagine although Race X aren't canon, if they were they'd basically be the Biff Tannen to Xen. They're advanced in every way possible and like to rub it in their faces.

"Hey there NERDhilanth, what, you're able to teleport your slave buddies into that crappy rock? That's cool. My kick-rear end LASER-BUG-SQUADS have been doing that too. Without shock collars. And also they can teleport back and bring those tasty half-apes back. Yeah, no biggie, tubbs."

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

i don't care what Valve says, Adrian Shepard will always be canon in my heart

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How come they don't consider him canon when it's (even if Gearbox made it) an official Half-Life game?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was under the impression they kinda did, unless something changed since I last checked. What's the latest on that?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

From what I know they ignored him because it was Gearbox's creation and didn't know how to fit him in HL2 but never heard of Valve saying a thing about canon. Barney was a hero aswell and in HL2 he is as dangerous as Dr Kleiner :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
For a long time it was that weird sort of canon where it only counts unless something official overrides it, but I believe Marc Laidlaw(?) or whoever was one of the writers for HL2 mentioned in an interview that none of the opfor/blue shift/race x stuff matters and won't count for anything.

Which is a darn shame because I think it'd be cool to bring back Adrian Shepard by having the G-Man deploy him during the seven-hour war to ensure that certain critical assets are protected.