Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Phantom Blood is the first JoJo game that Bandai had under their brand since they obtained the license from Capcom. Possibly to capitalize on the movie that would be being made around the time the game was (They were released four months apart). Bandai decided to hand this game over to some nothing dev named Anchor and put out this piece of garbage. It is a beat 'em up game where you go around killing zombies, punching Dio in the face, and posing a ton. This would sound pretty fun if the game didn't play like compete poo poo. The main mechanics of the game are breathing and posing. Breathing is basically how you strengthen the hamon and do more damage/kill zombies and you increase it through posing/breathing/killing more zombies. From the poses (Yes, these are poses Jonathan does from the manga) you can also get buffs and increase your defense, meter, and attack and it's all kind of neat... IN THEORY ANYWAYS.

In reality, Phantom Blood plays like rear end. The game 's movement is incredibly sterile, giving you a really slow run and that is how you navigate the entire landscape. The levels are all liner, so it's not like you need anything more than that, but the loving movement feels so sluggish and gross. It not only hurts the options you have in actual combat, it makes it feel really nasty to actually just move. The actual combat is pretty typical beat 'em up fair, you get a set of combos and you do those combos against enemies. This wouldn't be necessarily bad if the game wasn't about 5 hours long and the actual attacks had any weight behind them. Hitting everything feels like you're hitting bouncy balls that keep juggling so long as you keep touching them. Nothing has any weight behind it and everything crumbles to Jonathan like that rock under the frog. It feels like they did everything they could to make the game blatantly unfun, but it doesn't stop there. Regular levels take too loving long, have too many enemies, and it feels like you're playing a Warriors game at points, but with none of the polish, weight behind attacks, or even just loving mindless fun that those games have. The game tries to make up for quality with quantity as there are 54 playable characters, 18 of which are playable in story mode and 15 of those are Jonathan Joestar.

Depending on the character you have a really limited moveset of two combos or you can have some actual variety in characters like Straizo or one of the 11 Dios. If you want to play as Speedwagon, I hope you enjoy your attacks not doing any damage and there being no easy way to kill zombies with your one combo and charge move. This game also has a lot of boss fights, all of them are terrible especially Bruford, whose deserves a special place in hell. Bruford's is a boss fight that deserves special mention because you fight him underwater which entails various things:

-More limited movement than usual due to slow swimming
-Breathing mechanic
-Bruford moves insanely fast
-You have no hamon energy so your attacks do rear end damage
-Bruford does a shitton of damage to you
-It is really dark and hard to see things
-Bruford's hair looks dumb
-The music is bad
-Bruford is ugly and smells
-The game judges you

One of these is a joke and it's the one where I said Bruford is ugly and smells. Speaking of ugly, this game looks like loving garbage. They decided to adapt the Part 1 art style to 3D models and you can imagine how well that looks. The colors of the game are incredibly muted and dark, so it is very hard to see things in normal gameplay during some of the darker stages. Those of you who remember Phantom Blood decently enough know there is a fight set almost entirely in the dark and you can imagine how good that turns out to be with this game's already poor lighting. Not only did they do that, but in between actual in-game engine cutscenes they lazily show you pages from the manga with dialogue over them attempting to vaguely recreate what you've read. THIS GAME WAS MADE FOUR YEARS AFTER THE PART 5 GAME WAS MADE BY CAPCOM AND THAT GAME FEATURED ALMOST NOTHING BUT IN-ENGINE CUTSCENES OR RECREATIONS OF PANELS THROUGH THE GAME ENGINE. Here are comparison videos of both opening chapters of the respective games for those of you who want to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjrFgeLQUWohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixewtz-INTY

You'll have to excuse the commentary from both of these 6-year old videos as there is not much else on youtube and these guys actually played through the whole game and are less annoying than the other options.

There are a lot of things that are terrible about ASB and Eyes of Heaven, but at least ASB actually looks nice for the most part and Eyes of Heaven is at least a video game. Phantom Blood is like if someone handed a game idea to some really crazy JoJo fan that likes Part 1 the most and to recreate it properly he made the game as awkward, boring, and unbearable as most of manga Phantom Blood. The fact that this game was the basis for what would become ASB is actually really damning to ASB in my eyes as well, but I can bear that game over this. The best things I can say about the Phantom Blood game is that it's really funny that you can fight the lovely the kids from the start of the series with Wang Chan holding Dio's head in a jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

does dario have a 3d model

I wanna play as dario going around stealing peoples' jewelry and hten getting put in jail for it several months later

No

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What God Hand was to Fist of the North Star, someday we will get for Jojo.

Believe, friends.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You will never get that game so long a Namco-Bandai's hands are on the license.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That was beautiful, thank you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Taste of a Liar in Vento Aureo's game is sensational and justifies its existence alone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

You will never get that game so long a Namco-Bandai's hands are on the license.
That's the beauty of it. It doesn't have to be Jojo explicitly, just Jojo inspired.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

when i'm employed i'm going to buy eyes of heaven and send it to beef

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

:toxx:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just get Suda51 to make a Jojo game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ADTRW should make a JoJo game. The humble bundle at the moment is lovely game development tools.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just get Suda51 to make a Jojo game.

Noooo, Suda sucks now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aurain posted:

ADTRW should make a JoJo game. The humble bundle at the moment is lovely game development tools.

Stencyl is actually really good iirc, but I haven't messed around with it in a fairly long time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Noooo, Suda sucks now

That's just ebcause he knew he could never top his masterpiece Killer 7 and stopped trying after No More Heroes. Get him to make a game instead of just producing one and it might get good again.

Speaking of which, Killer 7 vs Jojo would be rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seventh Stand User is the best Jojo game and I'd love to see a sequel that was set in Morioh.

Edit: Diamond is Unbreakable: The Telltale Game

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 15, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's just ebcause he knew he could never top his masterpiece Killer 7 and stopped trying after No More Heroes. Get him to make a game instead of just producing one and it might get good again.

Speaking of which, Killer 7 vs Jojo would be rad.

It's not that he doesn't try, he just doesn't make his own games any more, they just hire him to slap his name on their quirky game.

Emil's stand, 「Ain't No Rest For The Wicked」, is basically Tatoo You! but with better assassins.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Seventh Stand User is the best Jojo game and I'd love to see a sequel that was set in Morioh.

Rohan will remember that

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Aurain posted:

Rohan will remember that

This. But actually writing it into people using Heaven's Door.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

That's the beauty of it. It doesn't have to be Jojo explicitly, just Jojo inspired.

You're also not getting that, lol.

Aurora posted:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Get Swery65 to make a DiU game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

You're also not getting that, lol.
We already got Persona 4 is Unbreakable.

Someday. Someday...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

grancheater posted:

Get Swery65 to make a DiU game.

"My name is Joseph Joestar. Please, call me Jojo. That's what everyone calls me."

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Bad Seafood posted:

We already got Persona 4 is Unbreakable.

Someday. Someday...

If Platinum can't make a jojo game just give them the persona license instead and we'd basically get the same thing but with mythological figures instead of band names.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It happened. After reading three complete parts and all of Jojolion in like 3 weeks my brain has finally gotten Jojo poisoning. I had a dream, as a part of which, I came up with three distinct Stands, complete with weird robotic designs, bizarre specific powers and band/song reference names. Time to book a hospital appointment.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
surfin on linkedin and suddenly

:stare:

EDIT:

haha holy poo poo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

It happened. After reading three complete parts and all of Jojolion in like 3 weeks my brain has finally gotten Jojo poisoning. I had a dream, as a part of which, I came up with three distinct Stands, complete with weird robotic designs, bizarre specific powers and band/song reference names. Time to book a hospital appointment.

To maintain those JoJo dreams forever, I would hope.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Prison Warden posted:

From this point on, everything in your life will be seen through the lens of Jojo. See someone posing? It's a Jojo. Something really weird or specific in the news? This must be the work of a stand user. That song you like? Try to imagine what kind of abilities its standified form would give a person.

There's no turning back now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

That song you like? Try to imagine what kind of abilities its standified form would give a person.

I'll never see my iTunes library in the way a normal person does.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Race Realists posted:

surfin on linkedin and suddenly

:stare:

EDIT:

haha holy poo poo

Someone with a linkedin account needs to post screencaps of the full profile.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

That reminded I had downloaded 7th Stand User but not started playing it.

I got Wildhearts.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Stairmaster posted:

Someone with a linkedin account needs to post screencaps of the full profile.

His most insidious venture yet

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DIIIIIOOOOOO

I almost don't love him to death anymore.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You thought EA was responsible for these lovely games that you bought, but it was I, Dio!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I made two 1920x1080 JoJo wallpapers. Feel free to use them if you like them.

If anyone wanted a "Diamond is not Crash" version of that second one instead, I can change it to that easy. Same goes for no text at all.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
How about textless versions?

Both look really cool regardless!

e: vvv thanks a bunch! vvv

jyrque fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 16, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

An interview with Naokatsu Tsuda, director of the on-going Jojo adaptation.

Anime News Network, the Internet's most trusted anime news source posted:

What was the process for choosing the ending theme songs like "Roundabout" and "Walk Like an Egyptian?" Is this a tradition that you want to continue in future parts?

Well, those came from the author of the original graphic novel, Hirohiko Araki. They're all songs that he was listening to back when he was drawing the individual parts. Mr. Araki only listens to Western music because he doesn't understand English, so none of the lyrics come across to him as language, but as pure sound. So we got a list of these songs that he was listening to back when he was writing each part, and we chose songs for the closing animation based on which ones Warner was able to secure the rights for. It was up to Warner to actually do the negotiating. So if there is an anime production of the next part, we'll probably go by the same process. Traditionally, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has been a gateway to learn about Western music for Japanese readers. For American fans, a lot of the music and names featured in JoJo's are more an acknowledgement of familiar artists, but this is also cause for Warner to be engaged in a lot of negotiations to secure those rights.
Glad that's settled.

Interesting though that Araki enjoys Western music for the same reason a lot of us enjoy Japanese music. I guess some things really are universal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I find it quite hilarious how internet memes are a driving factor behind the anime.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Knowing that Araki was listening to Walk Like an Egyptian while making SC makes me very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJVMyV-odU