Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

BigRed0427 posted:

That's a good point. Lupa, you got your stuff backed up somewhere? how far back?

I've always saved my videos, it's all still on my computer. Backing it up to another host will certainly be a thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

That's not including the episodes they promised for the video game related game show they also promised. Or the episodes of the comic show they also promised.

At what point does just biting the bullet and offering a complete refund to all their backers become the smarter/easier option? Because I think we're looking at it on the horizon in the rear view mirror.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
They're selling t-shirts now, not to mention the Critic DVD coming out... eventually. I doubt they even have the money to give back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This is a comparatively minor thing, but I still can't past what a low-effort title "Pop Quiz Hot Shot" is.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

re: the blip thing,

I have no clue exactly when the site will go down, but I've been in the process of getting my backlog Youtube ready for months now. I might just spend all of September reuploading copyright-friendly edits to my channel. But yeah, the sky has been falling for a while.

It might just be crashing right about now. I can only play my own videos through the Chez Apocalypse site. I can't play it on the blip player at all.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KKall posted:

I have no clue exactly when the site will go down, but I've been in the process of getting my backlog Youtube ready for months now. I might just spend all of September reuploading copyright-friendly edits to my channel. But yeah, the sky has been falling for a while.

It might just be crashing right about now. I can only play my own videos through the Chez Apocalypse site. I can't play it on the blip player at all.

Man, that's gotta take a lot of work and it sucks Blip's about to well, blip out. Still, if your stuff is gonna be on Youtube, I'll be able to marathon it more easily! :)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Are they really going to make 40 episodes of Pop Quiz hot shot?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel bad for people with huge backlogs

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Gianthogweed posted:

Are they really going to make 40 episodes of Pop Quiz hot shot?

Yes, because we have all sinned and God is punishing us. You know what you did. That game show is what you deserve.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CynCyanide posted:

Yes, because we have all sinned and God is punishing us. You know what you did. That game show is what you deserve.

Alright, Alright, Ill stop going to Five Guys once a week and make noises like i'm having an orgasm while I eat it.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Baywatching: The Lost Treasure of Tower 12. Another weenie tries to steal Shauni away from Eddie.
http://phelous.com/2015/07/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-lost-treasure-of-tower-12/

Is it just me or does Shauni's new romantic pursuer look identical to Guy from Teen Wolf II? For a few minutes I couldn't tell them apart. Oh goddamn it, I've got face blindness don't I.
New characters, new voices, new bizarro Baywatch montages, I couldn't be more excited!

KKall posted:

Il Neige covered it. http://blip.tv/what-we-had-to-watch/what-we-had-to-watch-eragon-5539889

He's one of the newer guys on Channel Awesome. I think he has excellent screen presence. He also played "Michael Bay" in that musical episode I did.

I think there must be a special kind of career graveyard for actors whose first starring role was in a failed fantasy/sci fi YA adaptation. I just looked up the guy who starred in Dungeons and Dragons and he didn't exactly...rise to stratospheric heights in Hollywood.
Mind you, Ed Speelers might do OK. He was a fairly prominent character in season 3 of Downton Abbey, and so now he's probably more associated with that than he is with Eragon.

KKall posted:

Oh man, I'm really not looking forward to it. While I have all of the episodes saved on my computer as finished files, I don't have the files in my editing suite anymore so it won't be that easy for me to go back and make changes. Good luck to everyone who changes platforms though! I'm just hoping that I can hold off the inevitable for a little while longer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think there must be a special kind of career graveyard for actors whose first starring role was in a failed fantasy/sci fi YA adaptation. I just looked up the guy who starred in Dungeons and Dragons and he didn't exactly...rise to stratospheric heights in Hollywood.
Mind you, Ed Speelers might do OK. He was a fairly prominent character in season 3 of Downton Abbey, and so now he's probably more associated with that than he is with Eragon.

All four of the young main actors who were in it seem like they've emerged from the hole it put them in career-wise. Chris Egan was great on Kings opposite Ian McShane before NBC murdered it and is now starring in Dominion. Sienna Guillroy's had steady work on TV and the Resident Evil movies as Jill Valentine. And Garret Hedlund's done some decently high profile movies lately too like Tron: Legacy.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

This is a comparatively minor thing, but I still can't past what a low-effort title "Pop Quiz Hot Shot" is.

I don't mind the title, but the logo hurts me. Otherwise, the first episode set the bar so far underground that anything's an improvement, even the insensitive Whammy ripoffs.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think it really depends on what kind of a Canadian accent it is.

"Kind?" Nah. Up here, we all sound like Phelous. The coffee-counter guy? Phelous. Traffic cop writing a ticket? Phelous. Prime Minister addressing the Queen? Phelous.

(Sidenote: The Queen also sounds like Phelous, but that's just a coincidence)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

KKall posted:

Yeah, I can't play blip episodes from the site, but it works off Polsy/other embedded sites just fine. I thought it was just me.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Re: Blip.

If you go to any video, slap "?skin=rss" at the end of the URL, and you'll get download links for the original file, plus anything it's been transcoded to. (You can also add ?skin=json to get a shitload of metadata about the video)

Since you can also get a list of all the videos a producer's done (or screenscrape it with a bit of effort), it'd be trivial to write a search and retrieve bot.

I wrote one for Phelous prior to launching the new site, in order to get the direct URL (instead of the embed code), and the video description, for every video that had been posted. If any content producers on here need a hand with a bot to backup all their videos, send me a PM. I can't see it taking any more than an hour to whip up.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

For everyone here who produces videos for Blip, what's your backup plan? Vimeo? Springboard? Trying your luck with Youtube? Something I'm missing?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poparena posted:

For everyone here who produces videos for Blip, what's your backup plan? Vimeo? Springboard? Trying your luck with Youtube? Something I'm missing?

Revver

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
High profile business site Viddler.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I watched the rough draft of The Sarkeesian Effect and honestly I was just more bored than anything. I figured I'd be offended or pissed but I just kinda didn't care. Even for a rough draft the editing is incredibly poor, the visuals are boring, the interviews are poorly shot, etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tracula posted:

I watched the rough draft of The Sarkeesian Effect and honestly I was just more bored than anything. I figured I'd be offended or pissed but I just kinda didn't care. Even for a rough draft the editing is incredibly poor, the visuals are boring, the interviews are poorly shot, etc.

are both of them the same? maybe the one by Owen is radically different than the one Aurini showed off. I saw it but it's just boring as all hell and is exactly the level of quality expected from the man with a novelty skull.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which of the two made this one? It would be funny if it was tub boy, since Dr. Skull said it would take a professional a year and thousands of dollars to finish it. I hope they just keep dueling each other with 20-minute segments of their horrible films until an inevitable mall food-court rampage shooting from Dr. Skull.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Jack Gladney posted:

Which of the two made this one? It would be funny if it was tub boy, since Dr. Skull said it would take a professional a year and thousands of dollars to finish it. I hope they just keep dueling each other with 20-minute segments of their horrible films until an inevitable mall food-court rampage shooting from Dr. Skull.

Dr. Skull (Aurini) made the 38 minute rough draft version and it's the only one available right now. Owen's version will premier on July 31st in Atlanta. I think Owen's done with this all after the premier, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even release it on his youtube channel after the DVD release has run its course. He may be too embarrassed by the whole thing. He just seems so disgusted with the project (but rest assured it will surface somewhere). Aurini ... I'm not so sure. Either he takes the money and runs, or he tries to stretch this out longer and sees how much more he can get away with. I have a feeling his ego will prevent him from just letting it go. He'll try to release his "true vision" of the film and it will be awful and will come out way too late. But it's already way too late. There's been hundreds of videos that have done the Sarkeesian Effect is trying to do already and probably have done a far better job of it. He's already a laughing stock even among gamergate supporters so I'm not sure if his situation is salvageable at this point.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 16, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If any producers are looking for a good place to archive their old Blip content (especially if you can't re-edit it to work around YouTube copyright filters) consider using the Internet Archive. You won't get any ad revenue from them but the IA doesn't really give two shits about copyright as long as you're not blatantly uploading whole copyrighted works.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Skull dude made it, apparently. Other dude's (hour long) response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1bTPNdk5FI

I don't think I'd trust him with editing, either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I just get the impression that either of them think they're loving Herzog and can make a moron getting eaten alive by bears engaging and sympathetic.

Speaking of Herzog though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZmWAMmvp4M

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Equeen posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, since the blip player stopped working for me yesterday.

Yeah I'm unable to watch the last couple of SF Debris episodes now, does he host his stuff anywhere else or Blip only?

e: oh hey another page.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Gonna post this as it's own thing because I loving love Herzog so much:

First instance of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3B82Q5vhY

Second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVOTx4Lx3pY

I love Sonny Terry and I'd love to hear what Herzog says about the man too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's a new Todd in the Shadows up for his patreons, this time for "See You Again" by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth.

EDIT: Although he's considering just making it public since Blip is borked right now.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 16, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

kaleidolia posted:

Skull dude made it, apparently. Other dude's (hour long) response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1bTPNdk5FI

I don't think I'd trust him with editing, either.

This whole project turned out better than I could have imagined. Who the hell cares about the documentary at this point when watching these too guys trash each other is better than any of that. It's pretty clear Jordan Owen is the honest one though. You could tell right from the beginning of this whole thing Aurini was a bullshit artist. Between this and the SPJ airplay drama I'm really missing hell thread.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not that I'd ever care to be friends with either of them but just watching Jordan talk doesn't make my skin crawl like when I see Aurini. He seems like a genuinely nicer person overall and easier to get along with.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Not that I'd ever care to be friends with either of them but just watching Jordan talk doesn't make my skin crawl like when I see Aurini. He seems like a genuinely nicer person overall and easier to get along with.

He's a sad moron who's been suckered into MRA. Aurini is an rear end in a top hat who's going whole hog into it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He's a sad moron who's been suckered into MRA. Aurini is an rear end in a top hat who's going whole hog into it.

Aurini's not really a MRA. He's more into the whole Neil Strauss / Game culture thing (sort of an extreme version of the PUA community). Those guys are pretty much all slimy assholes. I'm not sure he truly believes in anything though because the guy seems like he changes his stance depending on flavor of the month.
https://youtu.be/XxWAckeigz0

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 16, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gianthogweed posted:

Aurini's not really a MRA. He's more into the whole Neil Strauss / Game culture thing (sort of an extreme version of the PUA community). Those guys are pretty much all slimy assholes. I'm not truly believes anything though because the guy seems like he changes his stance depending on flavor of the month.

I don't feel like drawing distinctions between the two.

In large part because it pisses off both parties.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't feel like drawing distinctions between the two.

In large part because it pisses off both parties.

Fair enough. I had no clue there was a difference between PUA and Game until I discovered Davis Aurini so that could all be bullshit too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gianthogweed posted:

Fair enough. I had no clue there was a difference between PUA and Game until I discovered Davis Aurini so that could all be bullshit too.

There is no difference. They just realized people were picking up on the idea that "PUA" was lame.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

Aurini's not really a MRA. He's more into the whole Neil Strauss / Game culture thing (sort of an extreme version of the PUA community). Those guys are pretty much all slimy assholes. I'm not sure he truly believes in anything though because the guy seems like he changes his stance depending on flavor of the month.

Oh, that explains why he gave the other guy unsolicited dating advice. Although I thought he changed his looks because the internet started laughing at his toy skull.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My favorite thing about him is that he defaults to calling other people crazy the minute they disagree with him. Not as an insult or exaggeration or anything, but as a seriously delivered claim that they're unwell and delusional. It's even mentioned in the police report of him beating his girlfriend.

I have to wonder if the fat one was actually gaslighted by that while they were working together.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

I have to wonder if the fat one was actually gaslighted by that while they were working together.

He did indeed! The post where put up transcripts of their conversations was deleted, but a goon saved this:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How old is Aurini? Because he looks about 40, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 25.

• Locked thread