Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Do I just park my horde on poo poo I own with the loot modifier on to pillage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Do I just park my horde on poo poo I own with the loot modifier on to pillage?

It's a holding decision. There should also be a notifier at the top of the screen with a notice about it.

If you need to give away land to your clans, pillage it before you hand it off. You might as well get the cash for it instead of them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, since the new patch made it possible I wanted to do a mod to enable Berbers to do coastal raids like vikings, because really they should be able to. However while I was doing I came up with a little decadence tweak that people may be interested in (though I guess there's a probability that somebody already tried something like this), so I figured I'd upload the mod (it's really small and unintrusive at the moment) if anyone's interested at all in any of these things.

Changes in Barbary Corsairs mod:
  • Added the lines "seafarer = yes" and "allow_looting = yes" to the Berber culture
  • Gave level 1 shipbuilding tech to the parts of the Maghreb in 769 and level 2 in 867
  • Added shipyards to some castle holdings in 769

Changes in Decadence Tweak mod:
  • Removed the decadence invasion event
  • Replaced decadence invasion CB with a new CB under the same name that functions like the Muslim invasion CB except it comes at no piety cost and targets other Muslim rulers (above duke leve) with high decadence if your decadence itself is low (less than 50)
  • Muslim characters are far more likely to create and join independence factions against their liege if their liege is Muslim and has high decadence and the potential faction member has low decadence (less than 50)

And that's it.

Both work, though the AI doesen't seem nearly as keen on raiding as Berber than it is as viking (probably because of the agression modifier for Germanic religion). As for the decadence tweak it will require more work (thinking of making other faction formations more likely as well and making nationalist and heretic rebels more likely), but the CB works (except for nomads, must have overlooked something), and decadent muslim dynasties will suffer independence revolts. It's working towards my goal here of making Muslim empires decline through decadence and being weakened and torn apart by civil war and then have their territory conquered by neighboring Muslim states, rather than the old "the blob is dead, long live the blob"-dynamic where the Abbasids, if decadent will be replaced by some random generated dynasty of Sunni Bedouin coming out of nowhere, which is kind of uninteresting and arbitrary.

Link

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 16, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Odd. After my Khan died and his brother took over, all the clans got a -373 opinion malus, "Weakness"

Reloaded when they all attacked me. We'll see if it happens again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, burning down an entire nation is hard work. Genocide has never before been so tedious.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Strudel Man posted:

Odd. After my Khan died and his brother took over, all the clans got a -373 opinion malus, "Weakness"

Reloaded when they all attacked me. We'll see if it happens again.

I think it's related to having a low martial score. Try switching to war focus?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's a good "figure out how to nomad" sort of start? I tried the obvious Temujin and immediately had a load of stuff it wanted me to hand out and I don't even know the best way to hand things out yet. And a bunch of guys jumping up my rear end to kill me.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

So, since the new patch made it possible I wanted to do a mod to enable Berbers to do coastal raids like vikings, because really they should be able to. However while I was doing I came up with a little decadence tweak that people may be interested in (though I guess there's a probability that somebody already tried something like this), so I figured I'd upload the mod (it's really small and unintrusive at the moment) if anyone's interested at all in any of these things.

Changes in Barbary Corsairs mod:
  • Added the lines "seafarer = yes" and "allow_looting = yes" to the Berber culture
  • Gave level 1 shipbuilding tech to the parts of the Maghreb in 769 and level 2 in 867
  • Added shipyards to some castle holdings in 769

Changes in Decadence Tweak mod:
  • Removed the decadence invasion event
  • Replaced decadence invasion CB with a new CB under the same name that functions like the Muslim invasion CB except it comes at no piety cost and targets other Muslim rulers (above duke leve) with high decadence if your decadence itself is low (less than 50)
  • Muslim characters are far more likely to create and join independence factions against their liege if their liege is Muslim and has high decadence and the potential faction member has low decadence (less than 50)

And that's it.

Both work, though the AI doesen't seem nearly as keen on raiding as Berber than it is as viking (probably because of the agression modifier for Germanic religion). As for the decadence tweak it will require more work (thinking of making other faction formations more likely as well and making nationalist and heretic rebels more likely), but the CB works (except for nomads, must have overlooked something), and decadent muslim dynasties will suffer independence revolts. It's working towards my goal here of making Muslim empires decline through decadence and being weakened and torn apart by civil war and then have their territory conquered by neighboring Muslim states, rather than the old "the blob is dead, long live the blob"-dynamic where the Abbasids, if decadent will be replaced by some random generated dynasty of Sunni Bedouin coming out of nowhere, which is kind of uninteresting and arbitrary.

Link

Sounds nifty, I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it pans out in a few games.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think it's related to having a low martial score. Try switching to war focus?
I don't think so. Happened again - the new guy has a martial of 15, which is at least decent, and the weakness penalty is now -533. Seems like a bug.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can anyone try out a Jain Horde to see if they can designate their heir? This is very important to me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
And my guy is reliably dying one day after I start the game, kicking me into the weakness bug. Time to let it rest for a bit, I guess.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think so. Happened again - the new guy has a martial of 15, which is at least decent, and the weakness penalty is now -533. Seems like a bug.

I'm pretty sure the weakness mechanic refers to how recently your character was at war, kinda like how Germanic pagans always need to be at war or raiding. If your character's brother wasn't a mercenary leader, he might have the massive weakness modifier you describe. Try declaring a war and see if that fixes it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Lost Season posted:

I'm pretty sure the weakness mechanic refers to how recently your character was at war, kinda like how Germanic pagans always need to be at war or raiding. If your character's brother wasn't a mercenary leader, he might have the massive weakness modifier you describe. Try declaring a war and see if that fixes it.

This is it, I had the same problem. Day 1 priority after nomad succession: a little bit of ceremonial raiding ASAP.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Lost Season posted:

No, he was a mercenary leader. Also, I was in mid-war the last time it happened.

Tehan posted:

This is it, I had the same problem. Day 1 priority after nomad succession: a little bit of ceremonial raiding ASAP.
??? Hm. Well, the death is interrupting a great holy war; I guess I could rejoin it after the death. Just a little afraid of the ironman autosave locking me into a nasty position with that.

edit: Rejoining the crusade did indeed take the penalty away. A little odd, though. Maybe defensive wars don't count?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 16, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

So now that we have the outer fringes of the Yuan Dynasty on the map, guess who's hanging out with Kublai Khan around 1280.

Marco Polo, noted siege master.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can anyone try out a Jain Horde to see if they can designate their heir? This is very important to me.

Just tried - you can't.

Is there anyway to override Nomad succession laws?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Made a few changes to the decadence tweak. Instead of removing the decadence invasion event I made a replacement that fires with the same frequency, but instead of spawning an invading army it adds a character modifier that persists for 5 years and adds pretty hefty vassal opinion penalty and global revolt risk. I was noticing that eligible characters weren't joining independence factions because they had high opinions of their liege (no relation modifier for decadence). This should really shake things up.

Currently has no localisation and I'm pretty sure the factors for modifying likelihood of joining and creating independence factions are way too high at the moment. Those modifiers add up right? For an example if I have one modifier for liege decadence above 75 and another for 90 it should use both, rather than just the one for above 90, right? However I'm hitting the sack now, due to work tomorrow and it will have to stay like this for now.

Link

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GSD posted:

Marco Polo, noted siege master.

Someone's been watching the Netflix series :haw:

Which I quite liked, despite some poor acting from the lead early on and some... less than wholly naturalistic plot beats. I think you need to approach it as a Wuxia flick.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Ok bug report time. I was playing as the Mongol guy in 876 and the decision to form the Mongol Empire forces all your clans and any King level vassals to become independent.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
769 start as Turkestan and having trouble with the massive Uyghur Catholic empire. Seriously, how did that happen? Also the Mongol culture is completely non-existent, I haven't poked around the files but does that mean no Genghis?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Groogy posted:

Ironman saves were broken in this patch

Ofaloaf posted:

Provinces were added to the game, a new government type was added, a bunch of events were rewritten to reference a new region mechanic rather than de jure realms... yeah, it'll bust up your save something fierce.

Is there any chance that a patch will make them usable again? I was about one hundred years shy of exporting to EU IV. I thought last time the map expanded it simply wouldn't let you load old saves. I still have an old save around and it says Pre 2.1 and won't let me play it. But they let me break my save this time. That's not great.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any chance that a patch will make them usable again? I was about one hundred years shy of exporting to EU IV. I thought last time the map expanded it simply wouldn't let you load old saves. I still have an old save around and it says Pre 2.1 and won't let me play it. But they let me break my save this time. That's not great.

Have you tried rolling back the patch?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
So. I grabbed Horse Lords, and now I have decision paralysis. What start date and character should I try the new mechnanics with??

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I feel Mongols 867 is a safe bet so far for veterans. Just a bit harder than average without being crippling. Just don't forget to keep buttering your relations with your overlord until you have control of the Silk Road. If things get dicey... Migrate. Opportunities have made me found my way to... India of all places. Playing in it for the first time since I bought Raja.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What ruler, you think?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Can I continue playing my India game in the new patch (non-Ironman), or do I have to rollback to a previous patch? I'd like to see the expanded map in my current game, if possible.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Have you tried rolling back the patch?

Yeah. I was unaware it would break things, so I loaded it up yesterday. I figured it wouldn't let me if it was going to break stuff. Then it autosaved so my game isn't compatible with the old version.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Neopie posted:

What ruler, you think?

There is just one Mongol ruler in 867 I think. The Kangai Khanate I believe, east most.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I just had a bug where my reformed pagan holy order just got vassalized by a khanate of a different religion.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Be less of a pussy and be the Charlie start Mongol: Burkhan of Bayan. Sure, your a tributary who inevitably gets murdered by the Uighurs the second that tributary status goes away. But thats why you have to murder other people first. What you do is: Vassalize a county in the Tarim basin. Conquest a county. Move horde there. Murder the rest of the Tarim basin. Become the god of Money. Kill Uighurs.

Tell the Tangs to go eat a dick. Your the money god. Not them.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
When should I use viceroys?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

alcaras posted:

When should I use viceroys?

Basically whenever you want. The penalty with non-viceroy lords is tiny. It's a pain to have to hand out the title again every time the current holder dies, but it's a good way to manage a powerful kingdom and keep it in the hands of content vassals.

I don't really think duchy viceroys are worth the effort, but if you find you've got a particularly troublesome dynasty controlling a duchy it might be worthwhile to take the tyranny hit to revoke it and then hand it out as a viceroyalty.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Schizotek posted:

Be less of a pussy and be the Charlie start Mongol: Burkhan of Bayan. Sure, your a tributary who inevitably gets murdered by the Uighurs the second that tributary status goes away. But thats why you have to murder other people first. What you do is: Vassalize a county in the Tarim basin. Conquest a county. Move horde there. Murder the rest of the Tarim basin. Become the god of Money. Kill Uighurs.

Tell the Tangs to go eat a dick. Your the money god. Not them.

I did the same thing.

My first ruler got the wolf blood kid event and that kid became the next ruler. He has 26 martial, and sometimes sniffs peoples butts. He also made tributaries of the Uighurs after beating the snot out of their army and then conquered northern Persia, the buddhists chilling on the silk road, and quite a bit of the steppe, and is burning everything down, after revoking basically every feudal title.

I kind of worry about the whole "sack loving everything" direction I've gone in, but then again I'm not feeling much pressure to ever move away from being nomadic, aside from the whole set up getting to be more and more of a pain as you get more land and more clans to fuss with.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Historians are going to have some not-nice things to say about the Turks in this timeline. Assuming academia exists.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cities get in the way of good pastureland

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think there might be a bug with the ongoing prestige costs for horde retinues - I've only got 6 retinues total, 4 of which are skrimish units (so pay their upkeep in gold), and the other two are Maurader units - yet I'm actually losing prestige because those two maurader units are apparently costing me 2.6 prestige per month. It SHOULD only be 0.2 total. Even if the cash ones have a prestige cost too, I certainly don't have enough units to be spending that much.

I think it might have something to do with inheriting retinues because I just succeeded and it seemed to be working correctly before my heir took over.

*edit* actually I figured out what the issue is and I think it's still a bug, but not the one I thought it was. Essentially, that 2.6 was the reinforcement cost of the retinues because they weren't full, but my heir had negative prestige. The problem is that with negative prestige, the retinues won't reinforce, but you're still charged the full cost of reinforcement.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 16, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans. It's made me pretty excited for this expansion pack. Does it fulfill those expectations?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes and no. Tribals are finally fun to interact with, instead of only fun for blobbing with and then cripplingly tedious/boring to reform. I played the Kahgan of Zhetysu from 769, managing to conquer almost everything from the Caspian east, with my southern border just north of Khiva and Kandahar. I reformed Tengri in 812 but it set me to nogovernment, and it wasn't ironman so I could have fixed that with console but I wasn't sure what government form it was supposed to give me.

Essentially, the Nomad Clans are just like you in every way, except they aren't the top dog. They raid and conquer territory extremely aggressively on their own, like how most Norse vassals are. Unlike Norse vassals, Clans dont need much territory at all to raise a good 3000 man horde and gently caress up people. They must be called to all wars, just like tribal vassals. You can swear a blood oath with one other clan for a generation, which basically makes you guys love each other. You cant game it so there's only one clan. If you don't, you will suffer 'minor clan' revolts, which spawn large numbers of event troops and create a new clan which can then make their own horde troops in addition to the event troops. Technically you can just fight these guys off every 5 years, but it's going to make you vulnerable and you will get pwned.

I haven't tried playing fuedals/muslims/republics or tribals yet. IMO, besides the ability to easily set a county capital holding and the government form map, is the fact that when you start a new game, you get a big window telling you what your culture, government form, and religion let you do. Almost all non-permanent relations modifiers tell you how long they last now. Lots and lots and lots of tiny little finnicky stats on the battle screen and elsewhere now have tooltips or are just clearer in general. Basically its possible to play this game without the wiki now if you care why some options are available and others aren't.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Isn't it inevitable now that China will be included. This expansion kinda dances around the fact that most of the interactions between the nomadic tribes were between China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
My Charlemagne start Uyghur Ironman game is about 60 years in. I got off to a very good start because my original Khagan lived til he was 70. I put down a few revolts but made large gains on the Silk Road Buddhist provinces, the easternmost suomensko tribes, and carving up the Tengri horse lords.

Then my son inherited and it started to go to poo poo. I made some ill advised manoeuvres which saw my horde decimated by attrition, and that coupled with a few clan revolts crippled my income utterly. He died of stress within a couple of years with no sons, the horde passing to his brother.

His brother was not much better: a cynical, paranoid and craven misguided warrior. Through momentum from my first ruler more than anything else I pushed my pastures into the Turk(now Bozak after an inheritance scuffle) lands, taking advantage of a civil war to subjugate two duchies and was now almost in contact with the Abassids.

It was never meant to last, he died within five years, arguably five years too late, and left no adult heirs. The khaganate passed to a rival clan, while my ten year old ruler is left to be groomed for retaking his place.

I think I'm still in a good position, I held all the Silk Road provinces I have taken for myself and have built my first trading post, handing off northern pastures to the other clans during my clans rule, so now I need to consolidate those holdings and be ready to challenge when I come of age. I think the bigger worry is external forces weakening the khaganate before I can take back control.

• Locked thread