Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Yami Fenrir posted:

Chem Grenades halve DR? :stare: That sounds incredibly useful given how DR seems to be the "difficulty" mechanic for mech units?

Preeetty much.

Also good show on that one-after-another hack to finish up that EXALT extraction so quickly. Only once got that kind of luck myself in deployment on that map. Usually, the dumb comm arrays are down on the road, below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Man, I dunno how I'm feeling about Exalt missions anymore. On the one hand it's kind of cool that they're actual threats and you can't just steam roll over them, on the other hand it's getting kinda dumb that you're far less likely to evac out of a mission with aliens then you are exalt just because they get such ridiculous numbers, perfect accuracy rockets etc.

It doesn't look fun to play honestly, and it isn't particularly fun to watch when exalt don't all get shot in the face. That might just be my blood thirst speaking though.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

Man, I dunno how I'm feeling about Exalt missions anymore. On the one hand it's kind of cool that they're actual threats and you can't just steam roll over them, on the other hand it's getting kinda dumb that you're far less likely to evac out of a mission with aliens then you are exalt just because they get such ridiculous numbers, perfect accuracy rockets etc.

It doesn't look fun to play honestly, and it isn't particularly fun to watch when exalt don't all get shot in the face. That might just be my blood thirst speaking though.

I feel ya. It doesn't help that 3 of 4 of our missions so far have been covert extractions.

The covert extraction maps just don't lend themselves very well to stealth mechanics. In most tactical stealth games you focus on, among other things 1: Not being seen, 2: eliminating threats quickly without attracting attention.

The first covert extraction was a reasonably good way of demonstrating this, the second one wasn't as good, but showed what the worst case scenario should be, this third one should simply never happen, the map is too cramped, and the squad has too much LOS from turn 0. Something like this could be solved by placing the squad behind that garage that the covert op is at, then you can use all sorts of LOS tricks and 'stealth tactics' to tackle the relays and escape, but when you activate every single bad guy after the first turn because there's no possible way to hide, that leads to sloppy-looking missions that don't provide very good gameplay.

A lot of problems with covert extractions can be solved by where the squad is in relation to the covert op, if anything to reduce total LOS and promote a more stealthy approach. I'm not sure if a lot of this stuff is hard-coded and unmoddable. All we can really do is get some of these bad missions out of the way.

e: Also pretty much every map in EW/LW is more about tactical-shooty gameplay over tactical-stealth gameplay.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 15, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Yeah, I think EXALT is the one thing barely anyone would argue that it isn't badly designed in LW. You can argue about a lot of stuff, but EXALT just doesn't work properly. I mean, the whole "EXALT are a much bigger threat than the aliens" thing aside, it's very telling that you have to use stealth in a game that's really not designed for it to be able to do the missions without heavy losses. Not to mention they entirely break the dynamic war option. From what I've heard, quite a few people actually completely disable EXALT on the basis that they're not only too powerful, but they also worsen the fatigue spiral.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 15, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Personally I'm quite liking the covert extractions. Even though the game mechanics and maps don't really support it, lightning fast stealth raids to pull out the operative look really cool. They're good and tense too, because so many things can go wrong.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TomViolence posted:

Personally I'm quite liking the covert extractions. Even though the game mechanics and maps don't really support it, lightning fast stealth raids to pull out the operative look really cool. They're good and tense too, because so many things can go wrong.

I agree somewhat, the first time was kinda cool, but we've gotten like 2 in a row now and 3/4 missions have been covert exctraction and the game just doesn't really lend itself to that sort of thing imo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I have to agree with the skeptics, that mission wasn't very fun. It reminded me a bit of Beaglerush's second-to-last mission where he has a ton of rather bullshit activations and ends up aborting. It's not even the game giving you a choice between aborting and heavy losses. It's a troll.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

monster on a stick posted:

I have to agree with the skeptics, that mission wasn't very fun. It reminded me a bit of Beaglerush's second-to-last mission where he has a ton of rather bullshit activations and ends up aborting. It's not even the game giving you a choice between aborting and heavy losses. It's a troll.

Beagle has a great early-game strategy for covert extractions, but I disagree with the fact he doesn't give his covert ops anything to help with their vision so they can avoid activations. The covert op is, in a manner of speaking, a lot safer when further away from other groups to prevent activations, with better tools to grant vision you can stealth your op about much safer, at the very least getting the op within run and gun range to an encoder. My philosophy is to get the covert op as close as possible to a relay without causing an activation, then hack/chain hack if possible and go.

In the early game your guys aren't good enough to take out more than a couple exalt at a time, later on exalt get so tough that its best not to risk taking them on.

I'm pretty comfortable with using the motion tracker now, and I think on covert extraction maps that are not this one or one other one I have a strategy that should keep things buttery smooth.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The motion trackers are honestly pretty goddamn cool and good, I'm even tempted to say it's more useful then battlescanners initially.

edited cause I is good at grammar.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 16, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The range on them seems pretty high, actually. I think they actually cover almost as much ground as a non-bombadier battlescanner would have? Which is pretty drat impressive considering the things are omni-directional...

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Yeah, next mission I have some gripes, but the mission afterward, and in following missions I exploit them pretty well IMO.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Man, Livingiseasy must need to do a lot of cardio to do those extraction ops.

Also, my recent Long War experience does kind of line up with what has been going on for the past couple of pages of commentary. The air game is a mess, Phoenix Cannons are terrible, and covert extractions are mostly bouncing the agent from relay to relay, killing maybe 3 EXALT and then running away. These are probably my least favourite things in LW and worth modifying for anyone interested and capable of doing so (also, remember, I am playing on non-Ironman Normal).

That said, I look forward to getting back in the air since my plane is now good as new. Just remind me not to target fixate so hard when the time comes, and I should be fine.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

How hard-coded is the way a covert extraction plays out? As in, could the basic structure of "X relays, the operative has to hit them, each one jams all EXALT weapons, once they're all hit then everyone can extract" be changed?

I ask because it seems like a much cooler mission would be one where there are no relays and you simply have to get everyone (but the operative in particular) to the extraction point. The difficulty being, of course, that the operative starts out behind enemy lines, and with no relays he can't just sprint past them all in perfect safety, so you have to clear the path so he can link back up. Then you could cut back on the ridiculous swarms of EXALT, maybe have really heavy reinforcements start after two-three turns if you want to keep the feeling of desperation.

e: Also yeah the air-game looks physically painful. You have, what, 10 planes now and are lucky if more than one is operational at any given time?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well, to be honest, the Air game upgrades help with that a lot. Now, if only you had the resources to buy them...

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I thought alloy bipods could also be used on gunners with LMGs? At least, that's what I remember. It also seems the stats on it have been nerfed, it used to be +10 aim and crit, wasn't it?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

64bitrobot posted:

I thought alloy bipods could also be used on gunners with LMGs? At least, that's what I remember. It also seems the stats on it have been nerfed, it used to be +10 aim and crit, wasn't it?

Yeah, its changed. It used to give the platform stability perk to gunners, which was +10aim/crit if they don't move before shooting. Now platform stability is available on the gunner and sniper tree, so its been made a sniper-only aim buffing item with 0 weight.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yeah, its changed. It used to give the platform stability perk to gunners, which was +10aim/crit if they don't move before shooting. Now platform stability is available on the gunner and sniper tree, so its been made a sniper-only aim buffing item with 0 weight.

That actually sounds a poo poo ton less useful! Even for 0 weight, it'd have to also not take up an item slot or something.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Meh. Sometimes you just need the aim. I get use out of it, and its pretty cheap. Better than a laser sight.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Call me crazy but I think it's a great idea. I mean, how often do you end up wishing for just a little more aim on a sniper? Especially on Disabling Shot and/or ITZ snipers, it's great to have. Combining it with holotargeting and a SCOPE/Neural Gunlink, that's actually quite a lot of extra aim on a class you really want to have the biggest amount of aim possible.

Also, as a side note, am I the only one that built-in defense for aliens is a horrible idea in both vanilla and EW? I'd much rather have more HP (DR has it's own problems, really) than having to roll the dice even harder to just do damage. I remember Beagle (Yes, Impossible Difficulty, but still) having a 50% shot to shoot a Muton Elite WITHOUT COVER. That's just insane!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 16, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link
After the covert extraction I figure it would be nice for us to have a feel-good mission :) Enjoy! Also, a better example of how to use command.

I have some criticisms of the motion scanner, and even though it could be better in an ideal world it's an elegant addition and makes missions a lot less stressful.

:siren:Congratulations Fister Roboto in making Corporal! Fister Roboto needs a nickname!:siren:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clearly, Fister Roboto is Anti-Air.

Also, capture train woohoo! If only you had more charges/throwers, you could have captured that floater too! That's pretty impressive... just as impressive as the lack of difficulty for this mission.

But 17 meld? If I got that right, that means the aliens are gonna turn up the heat soon?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Two captures!? drat son. Yeah I saw the high meld yield and knew it was gonna be fun times in the upcoming month. Seconding Anti-Air as well.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Things are looking great on the capture front and I hope to see it become a money spinner once you get a decent surplus of plasma guns. Also cannot wait to see how insane the next mission is. It's either going to be mountains of alien corpses to sell or a succession of new additions for the memorial wall. :unsmigghh:

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I kinda like the motion tracker, it does fulfills a similar role as the battle-scanner but does so a sufficiently different way that I feel neither is superior to the other. If it just but a blob of light where there where enemies it would feel too much like the battle-scanner, that might just be me though.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

xelada posted:

I kinda like the motion tracker, it does fulfills a similar role as the battle-scanner but does so a sufficiently different way that I feel neither is superior to the other. If it just but a blob of light where there where enemies it would feel too much like the battle-scanner, that might just be me though.

Now that I'm used to it I don't have any problems anymore. The way I use it now I only glance up at the radar a couple times so it doesn't have the same impact on gameplay that say the soliton radar from MGS has. Maybe the problem now is that it makes missions too easy? The next few missions go very smoothly.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
That capture rate is bullshit. 50/50-ish at best? Come on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There is only one choice as a nickname for Fister Roboto.

Doumo Arigatou Fister Roboto for shooting all those aliens in the face.

Argh I hope I'm going on this next mission, I've been itching for some action after being on the bench for so long. Let me at'em Booty, put me in coach I can take'em! (I know it's already been recorded but here's hoping. :ohdear: )

Yami Fenrir posted:

Also, capture train woohoo! If only you had more charges/throwers, you could have captured that floater too! That's pretty impressive... just as impressive as the lack of difficulty for this mission.

But 17 meld? If I got that right, that means the aliens are gonna turn up the heat soon?

Soon? Going by the numbers of the next mission the next mission, the heat has already been brought.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

SaffronKit posted:

Soon? Going by the numbers of the next mission the next mission, the heat has already been brought.

Isn't that because it happens to be taking place in Egypt because it has super high panic though? Or am I getting mixed up between cause and effect?

Also how much is a successful mission here going to alleviate the fact that Egypt is basically on the verge of bailing?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Oh, the plan is pretty much to let Egypt bail. We just shot off the satellite to prevent them from bailing last month. Its kind of gamey but I really want the Asia continent bonus someday and liberating every single country in Asia for the long haul is impossible. Liberating India and Australia with a good foothold in Japan and China is doable. Also, hopefully the terror mission will be in Egypt, which would be great because we're already considering them a lost cause, and 'sympathetic' panic increases in Nigeria and South Africa will distract the aliens for the next couple months, while we finish expansion in Europe, South America, and start on Asia.

I know around 50% capture rate is worse than vanilla, but its not so bad if you plan around it. Sure, you have bad capture missions, but if you go with a capture heavy strategy this really isn't a huge deal.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Every time Fister Roboto is mentioned I can only think of Fisto! So I think that needs to be the nickname.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Another permotion for me. That's good.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I remain confident that I will get my promotions later, and so don't mind sharing them with my companions!

...Though an Alloy Bipod would be a nice reward for my magnanimity, sir!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Broose posted:

Every time Fister Roboto is mentioned I can only think of Fisto! So I think that needs to be the nickname.

:confused:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The name is a link to a youtube explaining.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Broose posted:

The name is a link to a youtube explaining.

I saw it, I'm just messing with ya :)

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Oh. Boy is my face red. Thought something might've been messed up since the link looks like normal bold to me. Didn't even know there was a star wars character with the name until now though.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Good to see you captured more aliens and got their toys to research. and can't wait to see how the next mission plays out.

Congratulations Fister "Anti-Air" Roboto.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Come on guys, Anti-Air is so boring, let's at least make it somewhat interesting.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

ProfessorBooty posted:

Oh, the plan is pretty much to let Egypt bail. We just shot off the satellite to prevent them from bailing last month. Its kind of gamey but I really want the Asia continent bonus someday and liberating every single country in Asia for the long haul is impossible. Liberating India and Australia with a good foothold in Japan and China is doable. Also, hopefully the terror mission will be in Egypt, which would be great because we're already considering them a lost cause, and 'sympathetic' panic increases in Nigeria and South Africa will distract the aliens for the next couple months, while we finish expansion in Europe, South America, and start on Asia.

I don't fully follow. Why were you so keen on them not bailing last month? It can't just be the money, because the satellite cost more than Egypt gave in a month. I assume it has something to do with getting Asia, but I don't get how holding onto Egypt for another few weeks helps with that, exactly.

...and as I write this post, something occurred to me. Are you using Egypt to "tank" the terror for a while, so that they don't hit Japan/China and thus make Asia much more difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Fister "Whiskers" Roboto.

No special reason. I just wanna call him whiskers :3:

edit:

EggsAisle posted:

...and as I write this post, something occurred to me. Are you using Egypt to "tank" the terror for a while, so that they don't hit Japan/China and thus make Asia much more difficult?

You got it!

• Locked thread