Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, what are people running for upgrades on their Atagos? I'm thinking Main Battery 1, Gun Fire Control 1, Propulsion Modification 1, Steering Gears 2, and *eventually* Concealment, but the latter-most isn't a priority. I'm also using the "ha ha you missed" camo over the concealment because the Atago should be firing at whatever the gently caress it can, making concealment a bit moot.

And since it'll only be a matter of time - same question for the Atlanta. I'm assuming the AA mod might be more appropriate for the Atlanta because the Atlanta's accuracy mod is "just keep firing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

rossmum posted:

Playing with Ren_Nerd earlier, he killed an Amagi from full HP alone, in a New York. All citadels. It was hilarious.

Well, it helped that Amagi couldn't aim for poo poo and missed all of his broadsides. I think that was my 8 citadel, 5 kill game.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What ships have the longest range secondaries that i can use as a hilarious brawler boat.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

It sure is nice to get Devastating Strike in a Cleveland because an Omaha came around an island at 5km while you're waiting for him with AP loaded. :getin:

Krataar posted:

What ships have the longest range secondaries that i can use as a hilarious brawler boat.

Go for the IJN battleship line. The Nagato especially is loving nasty at close range because of its secondaries. You can get them out to 7km with skills and upgrades. The IX and X battleships can top out at 10km.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

21:9 monitors are such a huge advantage. It's great having that extra width so no matter what you're trying to lead you've got room.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I suck appallingly in the Langley. I'm doing something that causes my torpedo bombers to fly to the drop point and then just circle away again instead of dropping. And they just repeat that over and over. I have no idea what is going on.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hey guys I think I'm getting the hang of this game. All those kills are Cruisers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Hey guys I think I'm getting the hang of this game. All those kills are Cruisers.

I was gonna say "ONLY 600 EXP" but I noticed that's a bot game. Don't play too much bots or you'll learn some bad habits. Once you understand the basics you should throw yourself into random battles, you'll earn more xp even for horrible losses and you'll learn more.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

I was gonna say "ONLY 600 EXP" but I noticed that's a bot game. Don't play too much bots or you'll learn some bad habits. Once you understand the basics you should throw yourself into random battles, you'll earn more xp even for horrible losses and you'll learn more.

Wait gently caress I've been playing against bots this whole time? Mother fucker

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wait gently caress I've been playing against bots this whole time? Mother fucker

To the right of the battle button there is a box that should say "Coop Battle", click that and change it to "Random Battle". It starts at Coop automatically when you make a new account and stays that way, even when you unlock Random Battles at level 2.

Also :shobon:

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
That is never not funny.

Also if you just want to grind silver and chill for a couple rounds, coop is fine.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Victor Surge posted:

That is never not funny.

Also if you just want to grind silver and chill and give no shits for a couple rounds, coop is fine.

It's also a good way to teach yourself how to lead targets or get used to a new firing arc or gun's 'quirks,' since co-op battles aren't reserved to lower tiers. You could put a Tier 10 into a co-op battle. It's a training room that fights back...and the bots really like to focus fire the humans. The only thing that'd make it perfect is if it didn't lock down your ship if they manage to primary you out of commission early on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I suck appallingly in the Langley. I'm doing something that causes my torpedo bombers to fly to the drop point and then just circle away again instead of dropping. And they just repeat that over and over. I have no idea what is going on.

Don't beat yourself up, there's a learning curve. And the Langley is a really rough start in the US CV line.

If you are auto dropping torpedoes, once they commit to making the attack, don't mess with them; clicking on them and clicking somewhere else can cause them to abort the attack. There are some abilities that also mess up torpedo bombers as well.

Since you are using US torpedo bombers, here's some advice: when clicking on an enemy ship with the torpedo bombers, observe the 'starting' point. If you hold down the ALT key, you can manually drop them. Try to adjust for different ranges; what I do is compensate for dropping them closer by leading less. When you manually drop them, they all travel in a straight line vs spread out in auto mode. Vs an opponent that isn't paying attention, you can hit with a lot more torps. In addition, you can drop the torps much closer, making them considerably harder to avoid.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, look up Youtube videos for the Langley and Hosho and filter by 'last month or newer' on Youtube. There's nothing more disheartening to see "oh, our side has the only carrier" in a T3-T4 fight and then hear something to the effect of "hey guys how do I carrier :downs:."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One good thing is there's a chance you are the only carrier on the map, and matched up against tier 3 or tier 4s. Which means their AA is going to be terrible/nonexistent, which is somewhat newbie friendly when you are getting the hang of carriers.

Langley is a tough start; you're incredibly slow and have only fighters and torpedo bombers to start with. Bogue doesn't get much better, but at least you can opt to go 2 fighters/1 dive bomber or 1 torpedo bomber/2 dive bombers.

Once you get to Independence you have enough speed to keep up with the rest of the fleet.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Wow I am AWFUL at leading with my battleship. 0-2 now. I'm getting pretty good at DD though. Torpedoes are FUN

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wow I am AWFUL at leading with my battleship. 0-2 now. I'm getting pretty good at DD though. Torpedoes are FUN

The big question should be whether you're full-broadsiding every time you fire. *Stagger* your shots - only broadside when you're in close, and even then, fire one gun to make sure you've got the correct lead, then broadside with the remaining guns provided your target keeps a similar tack.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
One thing the Furutaka's taught me is how to target. This'll be useful on the later CA/BB tiers.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Is it just me, or do they really need to work on the match maker a wee bit?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, I jsut had the best CV PANIC MODE moment. Went around a side on Hotspot in the Fuso to intercept an enemy New York. Imagine my suprise when I round the corner and see the New York at 8 kilometres... and a Hiryu at 11. I ended the New York while on a collission ourse while also throwing the odd salvo at the Hiryu, forced the New York to brake lest it'd be a ram and crossed right in front of him and in that moment saw a TB squad from the Hiryu drop a spread at me... from the other side of the New York. :v:

I turned my broadside, blew the already damaged Hiryu away and turne around in time to catch the New York's next salvo after he had managed to turn the turrets with my belt angled, then put him down because that torp attack had wiped out most of his remaining hitpoints. I did of course congratualte the Hiryu on that beautiful torp strike in open chat. :haw:

Krataar posted:

IJN battleship line. Kongo is a decent brawler simply because she handles like an overweight cruiser and can pull 30 knots, which is just utterly horrifying for any cuiser she chases after. Nagato is the archetypical brawler BB with fast rudder, good armor and murderous secondaries and the Izumo and Yamato both have 7km base range with really heavy secondary batteries. A kitted-out Yamato has a secondary broadside of 6*155mm (from the mini-turrets superfiring over the primaries) + 12*127mm dual-purpose guns with a range of about 10km. And at that same range the 18-inchers will just penetrate whatever you point them at. She needs some real experience to take brawling though, because her primary turrets turn very slow.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was just in a game in my Wyoming where one poor bastard got uptiered in his Hashidate. He charged through the enemy destroyers, killing one of them, hunted down the enemy Langely, and single-handedly pasted it with his little shitboat.

Random pubby, you were :black101:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Has there been mention of any kind of clan battle system?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Magni posted:

IJN battleship line. Kongo is a decent brawler simply because she handles like an overweight cruiser and can pull 30 knots, which is just utterly horrifying for any cuiser she chases after. Nagato is the archetypical brawler BB with fast rudder, good armor and murderous secondaries and the Izumo and Yamato both have 7km base range with really heavy secondary batteries. A kitted-out Yamato has a secondary broadside of 6*155mm (from the mini-turrets superfiring over the primaries) + 12*127mm dual-purpose guns with a range of about 10km. And at that same range the 18-inchers will just penetrate whatever you point them at. She needs some real experience to take brawling though, because her primary turrets turn very slow.

Warning on all this talk about brawler ships and Nagato: she may be a decent bar-fighter with the 410mm boomsticks, but she is not the most forgiving of ships to play. Getting into a decent range to brawl requires good map awareness, knowing when to go for somebody, and knowing how and when to angle against other targets until you get there.

Don't go rushing down this line thinking you're gonna be an unstoppable powerhouse with the secondaries - they seldom do much work against other battleships and heavily-armored cruisers, apart from the odd fire. If you go past the Fuso thinking it's going to be a different story, you will go from happy to sad in the spam of a game or so.

The secondary spray is pretty nice against destroyers though, but even then it's death by a thousand paper cuts; if you don't get lucky, you're gonna be staring down his torpedo tubes for a good fifteen to twenty seconds while your secondaries wear him out.

Edit: Also, this thing gets Bismarck'ed all the time. It's a drat shame this ship is in the tier where it sees Atlantas and Clevelands every single game, because I would actually pick Steering Gears Modification 1 over DamCon1 if there weren't so many people slinging HE currently. Heck, it might not even be worth it to take the DamCon considering how often you get set on fire currently anyway.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 16, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

OSad posted:

Warning on all this talk about brawler ships and Nagato: she may be a decent bar-fighter with the 410mm boomsticks, but she is not the most forgiving of ships to play. Getting into a decent range to brawl requires good map awareness, knowing when to go for somebody, and knowing how and when to angle against other targets until you get there.

Don't go rushing down this line thinking you're gonna be an unstoppable powerhouse with the secondaries - they seldom do much work against other battleships and heavily-armored cruisers, apart from the odd fire. If you go past the Fuso thinking it's going to be a different story, you will go from happy to sad in the spam of a game or so.

The secondary spray is pretty nice against destroyers though, but even then it's death by a thousand paper cuts; if you don't get lucky, you're gonna be staring down his torpedo tubes for a good fifteen to twenty seconds while your secondaries wear him out.
This is all true, but there's nothing as :black101: as going into C on Hotspot with secondaries firing on both sides while you systematically vaporize cruisers with your main guns.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Reason says to use the main gun accuracy mod on the Warspite, but oh it is tempting to go with the secondary gun range mod.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Has there been mention of any kind of clan battle system?

Nope. Expect it in two years. In Star Citizen everything is 'two weeks.' For WG, it's 'two years.' Usually.

Also, on an unrelated note, it seems doing the bare minimum in an Atago earns you ~70k minimum after repairs and 12k camo replenishment. Scale up from there the better you do. I feel the ship won't come into its own until I'm able to get Advanced Firing Training, but that helps since you seem to get 700-1000-ish xp even from the shittiest loss.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 16, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are the Atago's secondaries that worthwhile? The main gun isn't affected by that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Good lord the Furutaka is a pile of garbage. I thought it was bad in beta, but stock? The guns are ok, but fire too slow, turn too slow and have BB level accuracy. The problem is it turns like battleship and is armored like a Tenryu. On the other hand, it gave me the first game I've had where I've needed to TK someone. Guy ran into me as I was turning, then never turned. When we finally broke apart, he shot me a few times. I sent a shot back, he sent 2 torpedo spreads at me. I finally got turned and gave him a spread from the other side. Felt good, and I only lost 100xp as punishment.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I killed my first battleship solo in a Wickes. Please tell me the high level DD are awesome. That poo poo was amazing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I killed my first battleship solo in a Wickes. Please tell me the high level DD are awesome. That poo poo was amazing.

I got up to the Fletcher in CBT and yes, it was awesome.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Are the Atago's secondaries that worthwhile? The main gun isn't affected by that.

It's the AA buff that's good about that skill for cruisers. Add in the barrage and the Atago can do meaningful damage to a strike package from a T8 carrier.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the responses about torpedo drops. I'm seeing some more success. That said, I also just had the squadron fly to the drop point, then circle so far back they dropped on the other side of an island. Which, by any measure, is quite the pilot error.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wdarkk posted:

It's the AA buff that's good about that skill for cruisers. Add in the barrage and the Atago can do meaningful damage to a strike package from a T8 carrier.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, is anyone else suspecting the tier 4 AA skill is going to get rolled back to only affecting secondaries again as opposed to ALL <=155 mm guns? Because the the fact that Clevelands and Mogamis can outrange battleships due to it is absurd. Let alone that 6 inch guns really shouldn't be outranging equivalent AND higher tier 8 inch guns either by any amount, let alone by how much they currently can.

Then again, they also released the Murmansk, which is a complete bullshit premium, so who knows? For those who haven't really looked at it, most of the premiums are roughly analogous to a fully upgraded ship of their tier, either directly(Atago and Mogami) or by playing a slightly different role(Atlanta and Pensacola). Murmansk on the other hand is literally the same tier US cruiser, except packing significantly more powerful torpedoes along with guns that outrange both of its competitors by ~2 km.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We had a pubby BB whining that no-one should touch the enemy carrier because he wanted to get his first carrier kill, saying we should all stay away.

I immediately closed to range and torpedoed the poo poo out of it in my Wakatake.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

You know, at least all those Atlantas never fail to bring a :smuggo: to my face.

OSad fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 16, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

We had a pubby BB whining that no-one should touch the enemy carrier because he wanted to get his first carrier kill, saying we should all stay away.

I immediately closed to range and torpedoed the poo poo out of it in my Wakatake.

Lucky bastard. I never find the carriers. I always pick the wrong side of the map, or run into a BS on the way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Ugh, you're right. I forgot they were 203s.

That being said, I've been playing it tightly and sticking back to add my AA to the first attempt on the carrier.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
These games with one side having a Taiho ( t9 cv) and our side having no CV are really starting to become way too commonplace, seems like about half of my higher tiered ships end up in an endless cycle of "oh, welp gg" as 5 tb wings come in at me. I'm kind of starting to regret going the BB route, cruisers seem like they do everything a bb can but way better, or maybe the Colorado just isn't living up to my hopes after the god tier New Mexico.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Omaha with its five forward facing guns is really nice for ramming battleships.