Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

dimebag dinkman posted:

i'm glad to see the collective-detectives of reddit lost none of their shrewd laser-like analytical focus over the years since their work on the Boston bombing

that was so good

i think gbs got in on it too. i remember alot of posts saying how you could just see the evil in those people's eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

dimebag dinkman posted:

i'm glad to see the collective-detectives of reddit lost none of their shrewd laser-like analytical focus over the years since their work on the Boston bombing

they really know how to read a situation and pick out the fiendish culprit
what? plz explain

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Space-Pope posted:

what? plz explain

Tripathi, who was reported to have suffered from depression, went missing on March 15 – over a month before the bombings that left three people dead and 264 wounded. After the FBI released photographs of their suspects, he was wrongly identified as one of them by users of Reddit, who had set up a /findbostonbombers forum to crowdsource the investigation. Several members claimed to have heard Tripathi's name mentioned on police scanners and his family, who had been running an intensive online campaign to try and find their missing son, began to be deluged with comments and abuse. The /findbostonbombers forum moderator apologized to the family after the current suspects were detained and removed the forum from public view.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there was a great part where they were analyzing these tweets of his that had things like "oh i'm going to the store to get toothpaste" which obviously was code for the bomb

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

oh god i forgot about tripathi i only remembered the goofy :toot:-detective jpegs full of lines and arrows

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

maybe the klan has a point *puts on pointy hood*

atticus :argh:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

reminder that reddit hsa been identified by the splc as a hive of hate speech.

multiple times.

worse than stormfront.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

*reads a broken english tweet wishing everyone a happy thanksgiving*

its so chilling reading this message about plotting the bombing:ohdear:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
it also turned out that tripathi had actually committed suicide the day he went missing. i cant imagine how awful that whole series of events must have been for the family

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Tripathi, who was reported to have suffered from depression, went missing on March 15 – over a month before the bombings that left three people dead and 264 wounded. After the FBI released photographs of their suspects, he was wrongly identified as one of them by users of Reddit, who had set up a /findbostonbombers forum to crowdsource the investigation. Several members claimed to have heard Tripathi's name mentioned on police scanners and his family, who had been running an intensive online campaign to try and find their missing son, began to be deluged with comments and abuse. The /findbostonbombers forum moderator apologized to the family after the current suspects were detained and removed the forum from public view.

and then of course the memorial facebook page was spammed by the usual delightful characters

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

you read the new harper lee joint?

sounds depressing as hell

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gum posted:

it also turned out that tripathi had actually committed suicide the day he went missing. i cant imagine how awful that whole series of events must have been for the family

Welp I didn't know that delightful little detail

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

what? plz explain

anyway if you're still confused my point is the same kind of bullshit-fuelled feedback loop got them convinced pao was public enemy #1 for "bombing" the "marathon" of free speech

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

syscall girl posted:

you read the new harper lee joint?

sounds depressing as hell

i haven't read it yet, but i know what everybody is upset about, and, well

i appreciate that everybody wants atticus to stay a hero, but

it seems to me that the only people who are really flipping their poo poo over atticus actually being fairly racist are white, while everybody else (including white people who aren't flipping their siht over atticus actually being fairly racist) are all “yeah, that makes sense”

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
it seems like atticus' new found racism makes his action in to kill a mockingbird even more heroic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

it seems like atticus' new found racism makes his action in to kill a mockingbird even more heroic

this is an interesting take on the whole thing. (not even being sarcastic.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

also that she wrote watchman before tkam

#whoa #wow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yeah, i believe mockingbird was basically what she wrote after her publisher told her that she should write about scout as a child rather than jean louise as an adult

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, i believe mockingbird was basically what she wrote after her publisher told her that she should write about scout as a child rather than jean louise as an adult

i have a lot of respect for her saying how people get all bigoted as they age

Atticus was a fictional pre civil rights era hero and saying that he got cranky and assholish over time, or before hand is very honest and brave

gonna pick up that dead tree book

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i need to read tkam again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

o'

PuTTY riot posted:

i need to read tkam again

Just walk out your front door. Same thing. lmao

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
zing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

o'

Just walk out your front door. Same thing. lmao

did anything interesting or controversial ever happen in puttsbrg or has it always been a glorious workers paradise?

because no one outside of it had heard of it until you started posting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
19th century wing riots?

Ronald's house shirtwaist fire?

Apr 7, 2003

syscall girl posted:

did anything interesting or controversial ever happen in puttsbrg or has it always been a glorious workers paradise?

Yeah, it's my job to fill in the spots in your education that you were too lazy to cover. Pause not.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just skipped like 350 posts. reddit is still bad, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, it's my job to fill in the spots in your education that you were too lazy to cover. Pause not.

Pontiac's Rebellion had native tribes lead a siege of Fort Pitt for two months until Colonel Henry Bouquet's victory at the Battle of Bushy Run. The battle's outcome was also the first use of biological warfare. Lord Jeffrey Amherst ordered blankets inoculated with smallpox distributed to the tribes surrounding the fort in 1763. Unlike the Europeans, the Native Americans had no acquired immunity, and as smallpox spread into other areas and infected other tribes, it killed between 400,000–500,000 (possibly up to 1.5 million) Native Americans.[26][27]

and you only have a population of 300k to this day

cool

Apr 7, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Pontiac's Rebellion had native tribes lead a siege of Fort Pitt for two months until Colonel Henry Bouquet's victory at the Battle of Bushy Run. The battle's outcome was also the first use of biological warfare. Lord Jeffrey Amherst ordered blankets inoculated with smallpox distributed to the tribes surrounding the fort in 1763. Unlike the Europeans, the Native Americans had no acquired immunity, and as smallpox spread into other areas and infected other tribes, it killed between 400,000–500,000 (possibly up to 1.5 million) Native Americans.[26][27]

and you only have a population of 300k to this day

cool

The city is artificially constrained by white flight. The county as a whole is over 1.2 million. The city and the county should merge, but that'll never happen.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm just saying, judging Pittsburgh as "a city of 300,000" is silly. We're larger than Columbus but Columbus records more people in the city because their city limits cover a much larger area.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

all cities are cool and good in their own way

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh is the coolest and goodest of them.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh is the coolest and goodest of them.

i use pnc. it functions as it should. thanks, pittsburgh bank!

Apr 7, 2003

PNC stands for "Pittsburgh National Company."

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

PNC stands for "Pittsburgh National Company."

it should be "pretty nice company"!!!

Apr 7, 2003

True story: PNC Bank was founded by Easy E and it used to stand for "Pussy Nailin' Crew"

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
pittsburg gave us fred rogers and for that i am thankful

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

pittsburg gave us fred rogers and for that i am thankful

Pittsburgh also gave you broadcast radio and television.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it also helps provide the best rivalry in the nhl

Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh gave you the amazing film Road House, starring Patrick Swayze (rip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

syscall girl posted:

wow that's true :aaa:

• Locked thread