Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

That looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Svampson posted:

I threw together a quick gameplay prototype which is feels good and is kinda fun already (please play the video at 60 fps it looks way better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-oWxfPEKLk

This looks really great!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Starting a job tomorrow. I was hoping to get most of my mechanics done by tonight so I can just tinker and do art/music for the rest of the month but that didn't work out.

Today I added death, level transitions, footstep volume based on movement/fear/etc, and now guards will go to the last place they saw you if you get away instead of just standing around pouting because they lost you.

These WIP tracks were made in Famitracker with the VRC6 chip because I like sawbones.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

xzzy posted:

SVN existed before branching was really a concept. There was only one branch and if you had multiple developers working on a tree you either locked your specific area or sacrificed someone to handle the merges later.

The general progression of version control is something like rcs -> cvs -> svn -> git. Each generation added new features and git is just the newest most featured release.

svn still has some uses but I wouldn't do any software development with it, especially if there's more than one person on the team.
You do often have per dev svn/perforce branches in big organizations, or per team, but you accept that the merge operation from that branch back to trunk is potentially a multi hour operation. Usually you do it at the end of a sprint, as part of a code review, where you walk a team member step by step through your diffs, explaining as you go.

(Both svn and perforce have miserable branching, but perforce is "better" - much newer than svn, just older than git, and modern perforce even integrates a lot of git features)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

xzzy posted:

git is great until you do something stupid (like say, a revert) and you're staring at a mountain of conflicts and every single command you run bitches about needing to fix it before you can continue.

(that's usually when I rm -r the fucker and re-clone)

Use a graphical tool if you're having issue with one area of git. gitextensions for Windows and SourceTree for OSX are both great when the command line is giving you trouble.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

poemdexter posted:

Use a graphical tool if you're having issue with one area of git. gitextensions for Windows and SourceTree for OSX are both great when the command line is giving you trouble.

SourceTree is available for Windows too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft graphics, sounds like a fad to me.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

More playing with tiles. Tiled is super fun!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
See you later, fuckers

Large Version

This is what happens when you basically fix an early physics bug, without actually addressing the root cause. And I'm not quite sure if I really want to.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Takanago posted:

See you later, fuckers

Large Version

This is what happens when you basically fix an early physics bug, without actually addressing the root cause. And I'm not quite sure if I really want to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgsnWtBQm0

EDIT: Disregard, Lowen Sodium's is waaay better VV

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Takanago posted:

See you later, fuckers

Large Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEyz4y8eM5k

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Can you guess what the critical omission is in my game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3dx_GLpSc

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

:stonk:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This is how pool works, right?

Ridley
Jul 16, 2009

"Gotta have soy sauce on sunny side-up"

xzzy posted:

Pfft graphics, sounds like a fad to me.

Agreed. This is my game in debug mode:

And in release mode:

My critical omission is graphics. I'm working on a colossal cave adventure-style game with zero graphical content and I'm pretty excited. Everyone I've spoken to has been intrigued by the concept, so I think it has merit. I have about an hour's worth of sounds recorded, hopefully will have many hours more by the end of the month. This is also my first time using Unity for more than 5 minutes.

Faff
Nov 7, 2010
http://gfycat.com/GrotesqueSomberLangur

SAGDCatharsis.webm

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Lot of "holy poo poo lol" entries this year.

But this

Games are art.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Harold Krell posted:

Is the omission a player that's willing to put up with the horrifying noises coming from your game literally constantly?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Onion Knight posted:

This is how pool works, right?

Please, it's called "billiards". Ugh, amateurs don't even know the name or that robot spider balls are the norm competitively. :jerkbag:

Looks pretty great though.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

dog kisser posted:

More playing with tiles. Tiled is super fun!

Nice pixeling.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I haven’t gotten more than 5 hours of sleep at a stretch since this contest began nor have I had dinner more than 8 times or lunch more than 5. Why are there only 24 hours in a day??? :negative:

On the bright side, I lost five pounds! :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a game jam, not a "pretend you're EA for a month."

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I may have gotten carried away making this box for team punch fight...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Man, I dunno, that camera angle completely negates the charm of your art. If there's ANY way you can retool the gameplay so that the game maintains a camera angle like this -

quote:

- the product will be a lot more enjoyable. Are you totally tied to the shmup thing? Could you transform the game into a dodge-the-obstacle game like this, keeping the nice camera angle?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSopJXs8pAM

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

I haven’t gotten more than 5 hours of sleep at a stretch since this contest began nor have I had dinner more than 8 times or lunch more than 5. Why are there only 24 hours in a day??? :negative:

On the bright side, I lost five pounds! :unsmith:

Yeah dude, don't kill yourself crunching on a GameJam game.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Btw what is the policy on prizes or whatever for teams with multiple entrants? Non goon entrants? I have a non-goon friend onboard who is composing some bitchin tracks for the game as well as providing full voiceover for the main character, if we won could he partake in the spoils?

If not, well, I do happen to have a spare :10bux: lying around, so...

E: also I think another non-goon is considering hopping aboard Team Dogpit so make that :20bux:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 16, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ridley posted:

My critical omission is graphics. I'm working on a colossal cave adventure-style game with zero graphical content and I'm pretty excited. Everyone I've spoken to has been intrigued by the concept, so I think it has merit. I have about an hour's worth of sounds recorded, hopefully will have many hours more by the end of the month. This is also my first time using Unity for more than 5 minutes.

Cool! I wanted to do a game like this but decided against it, it's cool we've got a couple submissions that are doing different angles on it.

Are you doing *just* sound, or are you going to be doing some sort of "touch" as well? Something like... a diffused light centered around the point of contact, with different colours used to represent different "textures". Might make things a bit more interesting than just a black screen, and it still couldn't reasonably be called graphics.

JonTerp posted:

Yeah dude, don't kill yourself crunching on a GameJam game.

I have already requested the time off from work so I can spend the entire last week of the jam crunching. Is this... not an expected thing to do?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Btw what is the policy on prizes or whatever for teams with multiple entrants? Non goon entrants? I have a non-goon friend onboard who is composing some bitchin tracks for the game as well as providing full voiceover for the main character, if we won could he partake in the spoils?

If not, well, I do happen to have a spare :10bux: lying around, so...

E: also I think another non-goon is considering hopping aboard Team Dogpit so make that :20bux:

As explained in the OP, only the team leader will get the physical and digital prizes. It is completely up to them how to distribute those prizes among teammates.

Bakkon
Jun 7, 2006

SQUIRTLE SQUAD

Harold Krell posted:

Will Stamper?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

As explained in the OP, only the team leader will get the physical and digital prizes. It is completely up to them how to distribute those prizes among teammates.

That makes sense! :) That's not actually in the OP though, or maybe I really need to get some sleep.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Giggs posted:

These WIP tracks were made in Famitracker with the VRC6 chip because I like sawbones.

famitracker is fantastic, such a great little tracker.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Hello I have a title screen now, plus a bonus gif

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If there's zero gravity how is everything staying grounded? :colbert:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

SynthOrange posted:

ummmmmmmmmmm critically omitted

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Velcro, obvs :colbert: That game is looking pretty rad, by the way. Can't wait to play it!

We're getting a late start due to some other outside-work-related things, but Team Phlargenarffen is back in the ring again this year (Kooking with Krugg last year). In the brief, our game is about Submarine combat, with no torpedoes.

A super-cool gif one of our team made that kinda gives the gist of it:

And, the current state of the real game (placeholder art abounds):

Quick edit:

I know it's fairly new, but anyone have any experience using Git/GitHub along with Git LFS for this, or for other Unity projects? Their Windows app doesn't seem to have any support for LFS built-in; I was hoping to give it a try without having to use the command line, since using their app is the most convenient way to get everyone on the team using the repository. Plus I don't want to enable LFS on the repo and then have the app break because it can't read it anymore correctly or something.

Their initial limit of 1 GB and 1 GB transfer is pretty low anyway, so it might not be worth the trouble for this, but I'm wondering in case for future projects it turns out to be a good option.

ApproachingInfinity fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 17, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys
TWO WEEKS LEFT

Hey everyone, how's your game going? Is it going well? Is it going badly? Are you about to start over from scratch? Or have you not even started at all?

If you're in the latter categories, don't worry, the competition is far from over. Last year I ended up crapping out a bad text game in the last couple of days. This year I bet there's going to be plenty of people doing similar things, too.

To give a bit of incentive to all these people trying to make a game at the last minute, I'm offering a :20bux::steam:$20 Steam Gift Card Bounty:steam::20bux: for the Best Game Made In Two Weeks Or Less.

Anybody that starts actively working on their game today, or any time until the end of the contest will be eligible. This includes people that were working on a different type of game, and then gave up and started a new one after the time limit. This also counts if you were thinking about your game before now, but didn't actually start writing code or scripts or making sprites until now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My game is bad because it's boring and I'm thinking of scrapping it.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Takanago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys
TWO WEEKS LEFT

Hey everyone, how's your game going? Is it going well? Is it going badly? Are you about to start over from scratch? Or have you not even started at all?

If you're in the latter categories, don't worry, the competition is far from over. Last year I ended up crapping out a bad text game in the last couple of days. This year I bet there's going to be plenty of people doing similar things, too.

To give a bit of incentive to all these people trying to make a game at the last minute, I'm offering a :20bux::steam:$20 Steam Gift Card Bounty:steam::20bux: for the Best Game Made In Two Weeks Or Less.

Anybody that starts actively working on their game today, or any time until the end of the contest will be eligible. This includes people that were working on a different type of game, and then gave up and started a new one after the time limit. This also counts if you were thinking about your game before now, but didn't actually start writing code or scripts or making sprites until now.

Good news I have not yet started, unless trying to set up git version control counts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Resource posted:

Good news I have not yet started, unless trying to set up git version control counts.

git init --bare

All done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I've put maybe ~5 hours into my game since I restarted. Schools been keeping me too busy so all you can do is move around the test level I made. I'm basically at square one! It's not too late. The last two weeks of this may very well be 'Pretend you work for EA' for a little bit.

• Locked thread