Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah i noticed that too, crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Listened to every ep and it's the first I've heard of it.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Brock Samson posted:

Listened to every ep and it's the first I've heard of it.

Likewise. I'll chalk it up as another Never Not Funny mystery (alongside the question of what exact issue was it that lead to Mike leaving the show in season one).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Likewise. I'll chalk it up as another Never Not Funny mystery (alongside the question of what exact issue was it that lead to Mike leaving the show in season one).
Mike talks a lot, Jimmy felt like he was being overshadowed on his own show, especially when Mike's tone got a little more argumentative (the argument about Jet Li out-of-the-blue challenging Chuck Norris to a fight in a restaurant being the example that gets brought up, usually), which then bled into their personal friendship and

Holy poo poo, I've listened to this show for almost a decade and know far too much about their personal lives.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Mike talks a lot, Jimmy felt like he was being overshadowed on his own show, especially when Mike's tone got a little more argumentative (the argument about Jet Li out-of-the-blue challenging Chuck Norris to a fight in a restaurant being the example that gets brought up, usually), which then bled into their personal friendship and

Holy poo poo, I've listened to this show for almost a decade and know far too much about their personal lives.

I remember that conversation, and while I felt Mike went over the line a few times (the fran drescher joke he made was the cringiest moment of the show, IMO) I felt like the Jet Li situation was more of Jimmy's fault in that he didn't seem to pick up on Mike playing around with a joke premise....but given that Mike once punched the hood of a car when some dudes were bothering him on the road, I can also see why Jimmy might of thought Mike actually liked the idea of beating up old men.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

caligulamprey posted:

Welcome to the club!

What blows my mind is (you probably know this but anyway), the original "40-Year Old Boy" podcast was supposed to be Pat Francis co-hosting with Mike Schmidt. I would have listened to every second of that.

Pat Francis couldn't make it to the first episode, though, so Schmidt went solo, and the rest is history. The "40-Year Old Boy" podcast as it is now, with his producer Lily constantly laughing off-mike? I listen every now and then, but I'm not a fan.

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

Scylla posted:

Welcome to the club!

What blows my mind is (you probably know this but anyway), the original "40-Year Old Boy" podcast was supposed to be Pat Francis co-hosting with Mike Schmidt. I would have listened to every second of that.

Pat Francis couldn't make it to the first episode, though, so Schmidt went solo, and the rest is history. The "40-Year Old Boy" podcast as it is now, with his producer Lily constantly laughing off-mike? I listen every now and then, but I'm not a fan.

Wow! I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of NNF, but this is the first I've heard of this. That would be a much better show IMO.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

sambafish posted:

Wow! I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of NNF, but this is the first I've heard of this. That would be a much better show IMO.

IIRC, wasn't Pat also due to be the first guest of NNF, and Mike subbed in instead (sticking around for 59 episodes)?

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Radio Talmudist posted:

IIRC, wasn't Pat also due to be the first guest of NNF, and Mike subbed in instead (sticking around for 59 episodes)?

I just listened to episodes 1-2 again -- Pat was supposed to be a guest on ep. 2, but his wife was sick and he couldn't make it (no mention of him not being there on ep. 1). Afterwards he (edit: or another guest) came in every 4 episodes.

Scylla fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 20, 2015

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
The show Jimmy's hosting on Science just posted a preview of its first episode, it's pretty fun but you definitely see pretty quickly why he keeps saying it's not a Jimmy Pardo comedy showcase.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/race-to-escape/race-to-escape-video/the-explorer-s-study/

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Two teams... of three competitors... locked in identical rooms

Y'UNDERSTAND?!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
But do we know how many competitors there are?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I think it was last season, but there was a guest from ireland who said he had a memoir about working at Cnet during the dotcom boom. Do you guys remember who it was and the name of the book?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
His name is John Butler. He's an Irish writer/filmmaker. Don't know anything about the book but I'm sure it's easy to find now you have the name.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

tnimark posted:

His name is John Butler. He's an Irish writer/filmmaker. Don't know anything about the book but I'm sure it's easy to find now you have the name.

Thank you!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Do any of you true fans have an explanation as to why Jimmy said he'd fight Ben Folds this last ep?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I haven't listened to the ep yet so I don't know if there's more context, but I know Jimmy has mentioned not liking that quasi-novelty style of music that artists like Ben Folds and They Might Be Giants do sometimes. It's probably just that.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Larry Miller is an old man now

Beeez
May 28, 2012
He's also most likely got brain damage from his accident he had a while back, I'd think that's a large part of why he sounds a lot older.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Riptor posted:

Larry Miller is an old man now

I was looking at the comments on pardcast.com and earwolf to see the reception to this ep because its genuinely the first one I've ever bailed on.

I also don't know Larry Miller. This was my first experience with him.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
I had no idea so I had to look it up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/larry-miller-brain-injury-fall_n_2431327.html

Jimmy isn't kidding when he says he belongs on comedian Rushmore. Larry Miller was one of the best.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Oh wow i had no idea about that either

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001

Not Operator posted:

I was looking at the comments on pardcast.com and earwolf to see the reception to this ep because its genuinely the first one I've ever bailed on.

What is the reception like? I enjoyed this ep, Larry Miller isn't Random UCB Alt Comic #2482 and I appreciate the variety in guests.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

anotherone posted:

What is the reception like? I enjoyed this ep, Larry Miller isn't Random UCB Alt Comic #2482 and I appreciate the variety in guests.

Not great, tbh. Even the kindest comment on Earwolf was one calling the ep a C+. Main complaint is that Larry Miller sounds like the world's oldest man, even if there is a sympathetic reason for why, and that his stories are interesting, but not actually funny.

I wonder if Larry Miller was one of the "Big Three" gets Jimmy refused to name last episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Not Operator posted:

Not great, tbh. Even the kindest comment on Earwolf was one calling the ep a C+. Main complaint is that Larry Miller sounds like the world's oldest man, even if there is a sympathetic reason for why, and that his stories are interesting, but not actually funny.

I wonder if Larry Miller was one of the "Big Three" gets Jimmy refused to name last episode.

it really doesn't seem like it'd be to hard to get Larry Miller, he's on Carolla all the time and Jimmy knows Adam. I mean clearly he couldn't get him while he was convalescing or whatever but he said he'd been trying for years.

And yeah the fall really took him back a few steps, he used to be a lot quicker.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Not Operator posted:

Even the kindest comment on Earwolf was one calling the ep a C+.

Uhhh...

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Well, the same post also called the ep interminably boring, so I'm not sure how ironic the grade was.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Fair do's. At first I thought that you weren't getting a Comedy Bang Bang reference, but that really was a C+ episode.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I didn't know who Larry Miller was but his seeming like an old man didn't bother me. I just felt like I was listening to Jimmy having a good time with a good-natured older comedy pro with a lot of insight and a peaceful charm, but to each their own.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Shovelbearer posted:

I didn't know who Larry Miller was but his seeming like an old man didn't bother me. I just felt like I was listening to Jimmy having a good time with a good-natured older comedy pro with a lot of insight and a peaceful charm, but to each their own.

go listen to some old Larry Miller bits and then compare him to his appearance on NNF. It didn't bother me either, per se, it just reminded me that we're all going to die someday

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Here is a really funny Larry Miller story. Go to 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtUMVJW0zo

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Buffy Sainte-Marie got the Pardo bump:

http://www.stereogum.com/1832546/buffy-sainte-marie-wins-2015-polaris-music-prize/news/

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

I was expecting the other Pardo bump, where that link would tell me she just died.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Mollymauk posted:

I was expecting the other Pardo bump, where that link would tell me she just died.

When Jimmy referred to betty white as "the golden girl who isn't dead", i thought welp she will be soon now

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Who's the 9/11 truther comedian they keep talking about?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I have to assume it's Jimmy Dore right? And it's also very likely that Pardo is reading too much into it

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I thought he meant like someone he knew from high school that he was Facebook friends with, not somebody he knew now

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
No, because Matt asked last time and Jimmy was like "ohhhh yeah you know him". It's kiiiilling me.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Riptor posted:

go listen to some old Larry Miller bits and then compare him to his appearance on NNF. It didn't bother me either, per se, it just reminded me that we're all going to die someday

I know im like a month late on this now, but that Larry Miller episode was, like, the most depressing thing Ive ever heard just because his appearances on other shows were so amazing and I thought it would be incredible to hear him and Pardo riff together. But it just seems like his brain is fried from his accident. Really sad. Hes still coherent and everything, but that spark that was there just a few years ago seemed totally gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

anyone have any idea what episode the original "69! Up top! My brother!" story is from? As I recall they were in an airport or something