Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

Bob's Brain is my biggest enemy in this game. No single thing has hurt me as much.

gently caress Bob's Brain and anyone who supports it.

:gitgud:

I actually recently murdered the poo poo out of myself with it on the Beans challenge. That was pretty depressing but not as depressing as accidentally starting a new game instead of continuing my godlike Family Man run that was on Womb 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

It does have one legit use: Blindfolded challenges.

BBF, on the other hand, can eat a dick. There's only so many times that i can handle entering a room and immediately exploding.

I once got a BBF from a Monster Manual activation that blew up in my face as soon as it appeared.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

IMJack posted:

I once got a BBF from a Monster Manual activation that blew up in my face as soon as it appeared.

Similar to getting Kamikaze by using Dead Sea Scrolls. Two pickups I'd never take (unless I somehow got pyromaniac).

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
The author of the Godmode mod posted up a huge update which is what he calls the final update to the mod. It really is insanely impressive the amount of content and changes he introduced to the game, just working on modding it by himself. Nicalis should hire this dude.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Help Im Alive posted:

You should really play Bayonetta 2

My roommate played that game and I watched her a few times. I was so lost. Not that I want to derail Issac talk for Bayonetta.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mental Midget posted:

The author of the Godmode mod posted up a huge update which is what he calls the final update to the mod. It really is insanely impressive the amount of content and changes he introduced to the game, just working on modding it by himself. Nicalis should hire this dude.

Glad to hear that he reduced the health on his dudes. That and some of the hideous graphics are really the only downside to the mod.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Goodness I just beat Blue Baby after the most intense fight with him I've ever had. I was playing through with Samson and picked up MissingNo fairly early on. Most of the set ups weren't too bad until I got to the chest (my favorite being what seemed to be a Polyphemus+Eve's eyeshadow build that would have been terrible but it had Infestation 2 and Rotten baby so it was amazing instead). In the chest I discover that I have Tiny Planet + Spoonbender and would later discover that I had Cursed Eye. Fortunately, one of the items in the chest was Techology 2 which was a huge pickup since otherwise the build would have been completely unusable. I tried to make progress but kept getting tapped and warped, eventually managing to get warped right by the boss room with 2 hearts left. I took a really stupid hit from a 2 chub room because I had bad speed so I had one heart going into the fight.

Somehow I managed to slowly whittle blue baby down while dodging his shots with my bad speed and not confusing his homing ones with my purple homing ones. I think one of the items might have been the Soul and I also had the Big Fan orbital and those two items probably saved me multiple times over in that fight,

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope we get a Spider transformation in Afterbirth.

Maybe it's just coming off a run where I found an early Mom's Wig and Hive Mind, and let the giant spiders do most of the fighting for me. Spider Bite from the boss rush and Juicy Sac and Sissy Longlegs in the Chest. I want to crawl over rocks and turn red spiders blue.

I also got the Book of Shadows, the Virus, and the Sacrificial Dagger. Several of the later bosses, champion Bloat included, I killed by activating the book and hugging them with the dagger.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I want a transformation that comes from beating Greed and Super Greed in the two Depths shops because I'm so drat tired of it happening.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jibo posted:

I want a transformation that comes from beating Greed and Super Greed in the two Depths shops because I'm so drat tired of it happening.

It'd be funny if all it gave you was Steam Sale, but Money is Power would be legit cool to have from that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm so, so tired of getting steam sale from Greed in the store in The Depths 2. I'm so loving tired of it. :negative:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I could see if you picked up like three money related items in a single play through, like Piggy Bank and Steam Sale and Money = Power and such, transforming into Greed. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Money = power, the dollar, the quarter, the piggy bank, and steam sale. Three of the five gives you Greed effects which makes money way more prevalent and boosts money = power attack while giving you a third eye and noose-flight. Downside being you can't donate, buy things, or give to beggars.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Honestly, they should make it so Super Greed just drops Money = Power. By the time I get him like 90% of the time I already have enough money that Steam Sale and the Quarter don't matter.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think a Mom transformation could be cool. Could change your tears into a Mom foot stomp. Have it be like a High Priestess card you control like epic fetus.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mom transformation has been confirmed, I think.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ariong posted:

Mom transformation has been confirmed, I think.

Yeah Mom is one of the 7 (!!!!) new transformations they are adding in Afterbirth. I'm guessing there will be a Cricket, Bob, and possibly Tammy one as well.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

death .cab for qt posted:

Money = power, the dollar, the quarter, the piggy bank, and steam sale. Three of the five gives you Greed effects which makes money way more prevalent and boosts money = power attack while giving you a third eye and noose-flight. Downside being you can't donate, buy things, or give to beggars.

Any three bomb-related items turns you into Wrath. Any time you take damage triggers an explosion on top of you. Your placed bombs gain a cross-shaped blast like from Bomberman. This will still hurt you -Wrath is self-destructive.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

I think that downside is way too detrimental. Why else would I pick up any of those items other than to buy things or donate? Other than $$$ = power I guess.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

As someone who really liked BoI, I'm wondering how rebirth compares? Is it good enough to be worth spending $15? Is it much easier or more difficult? I was good enough at BoI to finish the chest if I got some good item rolls but not enough to do it with blue baby. Unlocking the dice was really hard and I only was able to do it with luck.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's better in every way. It might be easier because having full controller support makes the game easier to play, IMO. And you have a better selection of items. I don't think I launched the original game again since getting the sequel on launch day. I had over 500-600 hours in the first game, and now over 300 in the newest.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Ogmius815 posted:

As someone who really liked BoI, I'm wondering how rebirth compares? Is it good enough to be worth spending $15? Is it much easier or more difficult? I was good enough at BoI to finish the chest if I got some good item rolls but not enough to do it with blue baby. Unlocking the dice was really hard and I only was able to do it with luck.

Vanilla BoI is a literal turd compared to this game.

Just buy it and play it without a wiki.

Also feel free to be one of those people complaining that they miss the soundtrack from the last game??

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

The original game was an unplayable buggy piece of poo poo and I won't touch it anymore. I only realized that after playing Rebirth for a while, though.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Yeah gently caress buy it already. BoI 1 is a travesty.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Rebirth is better in every single way. I guess maybe not in the music department but I always play with it off anyway and you can mod the old music in.

Honestly I would pay full AAA title retail price for the game.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rebirth supersedes Vanilla + Wrath for all intents and purposes. It's like numbered sequels of Paradox games - it's a straight-up replacement that covers the same material as the earlier game, but is in all respects better for having been rebuilt from the ground up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ferroque posted:

I think that downside is way too detrimental. Why else would I pick up any of those items other than to buy things or donate? Other than $$$ = power I guess.

Because by the time you've run into Greed and Super Greed, only the beggar detriment actually matters anymore. Unless it stops you from taking devil deals as well.

Though I don't get why this transformation should have a detrimental effect at all when the others don't seem to have any.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vic Boss posted:

Bob's Brain is my biggest enemy in this game. No single thing has hurt me as much.

gently caress Bob's Brain and anyone who supports it.

Yeah, that and the one that turns your tears fiery and they randomly explode enemies. I hit myself over and over with that drat thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IUG posted:

It's better in every way. It might be easier because having full controller support makes the game easier to play, IMO. And you have a better selection of items. I don't think I launched the original game again since getting the sequel on launch day. I had over 500-600 hours in the first game, and now over 300 in the newest.

I guess this sounds dumb but playing the game that much, what are you getting out of it at this point? I probably put 80-90 hours into the original and I'm not sure how long Real Platinum God took me in Rebirth but it felt like a lot less than 100 hours. Like I love the game but I just feel done with it/like I've seen everything and don't have much interest in Afterbirth. I know each run is a little different and you run into some interesting item combinations but I dunno how it holds peoples interest for 500+ hours. (which actually seems pretty common)

I guess there are mods on PC but I played Rebirth on Vita

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess this sounds dumb but playing the game that much, what are you getting out of it at this point? I probably put 80-90 hours into the original and I'm not sure how long Real Platinum God took me in Rebirth but it felt like a lot less than 100 hours. Like I love the game but I just feel done with it/like I've seen everything and don't have much interest in Afterbirth. I know each run is a little different and you run into some interesting item combinations but I dunno how it holds peoples interest for 500+ hours. (which actually seems pretty common)

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's a great way to relax and zone out. After spending this many hundred hours on it I can play it just fine with half my brain shut off, and since a run goes pretty quickly it's easy to do a couple per day in between other things.
I also play it when I listen to podcasts or such, because just sitting and listening is something I'm not very good at. v:downs:v The threshold for booting up the game is also really low because of how fast runs go, and there's also the new save function. It doesn't take a lot of commitment, so the hours pile up little by little.

e: also I really dislike all the mods, so I've never played any

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's a great game to play while listening to podcasts and music. I can only imagine it would be a good way to spend a car ride as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a fun game. I don't see why I need any other reason to keep playing it. But if I had to come up with something, I suppose it's that every run is different and there's always some weird item combination I've never seen before to try out. It's also a great game to have on a bus or in a hotel since you can complete runs pretty fast and you can pick it up and put it down fast. It's not a massive commitment like an RPG would be, and there's enough skill involved that you can get invested in every run.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah if you're only playing a procedurally generated game to get all the cheevos then I don't know what to tell you.

I've got ~820 hours in Rebirth and yeah I get bored with it sometimes but I just put it down for a few days or weeks and eventually come back to it. I mostly play it while I'm working because it's easy to put down and pick up and it's pretty quiet without the music.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Procedurally generated games are pretty much the only time i see value in cheevos at all, especially one as winnable as this. Once you can beat the game easily most of the time there is no real goal other than getting those.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gromit posted:

Yeah, that and the one that turns your tears fiery and they randomly explode enemies. I hit myself over and over with that drat thing.

Not when you combine that one with Ipecac :kheldragar:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I only play it one game at a time, which is about 45 minutes to an hour. Given how many days it's been out, I've probably played the game about 400 times since the release. Some days I'm more bored than others and I'll play the game 2-3 times. Some weeks I'll only play it once.

But I keep coming back to it outside of my other games on Steam because it's fun. I can do a quick run where I don't know what the playthrough is going to be like, and I usually try to min/max with Isaac and the D6. But it's hardly ever an annoying waste of time unless the RNG really doesn't like me and gives me garbage items. The gameplay's just fun as hell.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Jibo posted:

I've got ~820 hours in Rebirth

Holy gently caress get help

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ariong posted:

It's a great game to play while listening to podcasts and music.

I do this exclusively. But usually near the end of the night and after or despite shitloads of other pc games. And then it's 3 hours later. At least I don't have ~800 hours (yet?).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just started a run with Blood Rights and one red heart. The first item room had Isaac's Heart! Unfortunately, the very next room had a chest with a troll bomb, and my speed was as low as an Eden run can give you....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

Holy gently caress get help

Nah, though.