Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ted Cruz is on TV right now talking about how his military strategy would be more like Reagan's. He unironically said that the reason the Iranians released the hostages when he was elected was because they knew who they were dealing with now, as opposed to, you know, the arms deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They knew who they were dealing arms with. He's not wrong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nintendo Kid posted:

No idea what your made up acronym is supposed to be, but nope, you're wrong, and he's wrong. Clinton ain't a dynasty no matter how much Rush Limbaugh and your buddies want them to be. :)

If you want to whine about how mean Clinton is, I invite you to return to GBS.
Did fishmech get BTFO or what?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

mlmp08 posted:

They knew who they were dealing arms with. He's not wrong.

The answer is "President Ronald Reagan"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

:thejoke:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JT Jag posted:

Did fishmech get BTFO or what?

Bent the gently caress Over?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nessus posted:

Ted Cruz is on TV right now talking about how his military strategy would be more like Reagan's. He unironically said that the reason the Iranians released the hostages when he was elected was because they knew who they were dealing with now, as opposed to, you know, the arms deals.

Has Oliver North weighed in on the Iran deal yet?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is she particularly awful or is it more 'a Rothschild lol'?

She was basically the poster lady for bitter PUMAs who would vote McCain out of spite after it was clear Hillary would lose the nomination. The mistake the GOP made was believing that people like this, though they exist, would exist in enough numbers to help win the race for the GOP.

Particularly precious was someone with the title "Lady deRothschild" calling Obama an elitist:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/18/nation/na-trailrothschild18

quote:

Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild is an ardent Hillary Rodham Clinton supporter who raised scads of money for the New York senator's failed presidential campaign. She and her husband, Sir Evelyn Robert Adrian de Rothschild of the prominent Rothschild banking family of England, split their time between New York and a British country estate.

It's not a bad life, she says, and she'd like you to have one just like it. Which is why she's backing Sen. John McCain for president, not her party's nominee.

Sen. Barack Obama? He's an elitist, she says.

"I have a wonderful life," the wealthy socialite told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday. "I want John McCain and Sarah Palin in the White House so other people can have that wonderful life."

After issuing her endorsement Wednesday, Rothschild resigned her membership of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee. But she told Blitzer that she wouldn't give up her party membership. "I'm going to stay a Democrat," she said. "Ronald Reagan might have said it right -- the Democratic Party left me, I didn't leave the Democratic Party."

In a July interview with CNN, Rothschild explained why, despite Clinton's calls for party unity, she couldn't back Obama. "I don't like him," she said. "I feel like he is an elitist."

Rothschild revived the elitism argument Wednesday, this time aiming her barbs at Blitzer.

When the host asked if she was getting "grief" from Democrats displeased by her endorsement, Lady Rothschild got annoyed.

"I'm getting it all the time, particularly from the likes of you, the liberal elite," she quipped. "You're the elite, not me."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

She was basically the poster lady for bitter PUMAs who would vote McCain out of spite after it was clear Hillary would lose the nomination. The mistake the GOP made was believing that people like this, though they exist, would exist in enough numbers to help win the race for the GOP.

Particularly precious was someone with the title "Lady deRothschild" calling Obama an elitist:

At least she knew not to call him uppity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Uh, what'd I miss in the 2,500 posts in four days? Anything good? Something about Trump in Sheriff Arpaio land?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Yeah, the funny part is that it took 50 years for the Democrats to elect someone that might've been elected for more than two terms while the Republicans had two people in that same time period (Eisenhower and Reagan).

They elected someone, he just happened to go to Dallas.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mister Macys posted:

Uh, what'd I miss in the 2,500 posts in four days? Anything good? Something about Trump in Sheriff Arpaio land?

Hillary may or may not be part of a dynasty, Bernie may or may not have a problem with certain demographics (minorities), Donald Trump: a) uses images of men dressed in nazi uniforms as part of his campaign imagery and b) informs us that his immense wealth is too big for the FEC's financial disclosure forms, and more :lol: in general at the Republican clown car.

I think that about covers it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I figured out what Scott Walker's face reminds me of:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feather posted:

Hillary may or may not be part of a dynasty, Bernie may or may not have a problem with certain demographics (minorities), Donald Trump: a) uses images of men dressed in nazi uniforms as part of his campaign imagery and b) informs us that his immense wealth is too big for the FEC's financial disclosure forms, and more :lol: in general at the Republican clown car.

I think that about covers it.

Okay, so the USPol and RWM threads got the pertinent points, then.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

official theme song of the lincoln chafee campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHjdTZ-myCU

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Dammit, I laughed. :golfclap:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

I'd argue against McCain being put in the big loser's category. He was a war hero with a reputation for being against the party leadership with some decent practical ideas. He was losing, but with dignity. He didn't enter walking punchline territory til Palin.

McCain has a good story and he used to be ol' Maverick John McCain, but 70 year old John McCain was a bad candidate in 2008. He frankly seemed lost. The party was NOT enthusiastic about him being the candidate in '08. It was another Romney '12 situation where the least worst guy was given the job by default. On paper he is everything you're saying he is, but that was all a long time ago, and he wasn't that guy anymore in 08, and was a lovely candidate who ran a bad campaign and did really stupid things like pick Sarah Palin. Obama won by as much as a black dude named Barack could have possibly won.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

District Selectman posted:

McCain has a good story and he used to be ol' Maverick John McCain, but 70 year old John McCain was a bad candidate in 2008. He frankly seemed lost. The party was NOT enthusiastic about him being the candidate in '08. It was another Romney '12 situation where the least worst guy was given the job by default. On paper he is everything you're saying he is, but that was all a long time ago, and he wasn't that guy anymore in 08, and was a lovely candidate who ran a bad campaign and did really stupid things like pick Sarah Palin. Obama won by as much as a black dude named Barack could have possibly won.

At the same time, Obama ran a fantastic campaign, and also the economy was exploding and George Bush had just been president for eight loving years. I think it would have been hard for any Republican candidate to win in 2008. I'm not sure how much of that was McCain's weakness as a candidate. And when you look at something like the Palin pick, I would argue he was already losing and would have lost anyway whether or not he picked Palin or someone else.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like I said, he was losing, but didn't seem like he was as big a joke as Mr. Car Elevator, or virtually anyone now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the senate's most notorious warhawk made a bad candidate in 2008 - a year when america was knee-deep in two expensive and increasingly-unpopular wars - regardless of past willingness to break with his party on domestic policy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the senate's most notorious warhawk made a bad candidate in 2008 - a year when america was knee-deep in two expensive and increasingly-unpopular wars - regardless of past willingness to break with his party on domestic policy.

:effort:

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Scott Walker is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zgdGQB4S4

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zwabu posted:

The go-to calling card for conservatives has always been to accuse their opponents of the thing they themselves are guilty of/the literal opposite of what their opponents actually do, so accusing the relatively populist candidate (relatively, mind, I know Obama wasn't a real populist, but remember this was 2009 before everyone knew how center-right Obama really was) of being "elitist" is typical.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTO7XXSOhzI

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This Hillary donor, an "entrepreneur", has long been on record as an advocate of girls running the world.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
MEANWHILE

McCain, via the New Yorker posted:

Many Republicans assume that Trump’s current position at the top of national polls won’t last, and McCain, who said that he last met Trump many years ago, pointed out that conservatives are starting to learn more about Trump’s liberal past. “He was a big Democratic supporter,” he said. “Some of this stuff is going to come out: he gave more money to Democrats than Republicans, he had Hillary Clinton at his wedding. You know, he’s attacking Hillary Clinton after she was in the front row of his—I don’t know which wedding it was.” (Trump has been married four times.)

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/john-mccain-has-a-few-things-to-say-about-donald-trump

:munch:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

This is merely a small pothole in the path of the Trump Bus

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

:allears: This will blow up in the republicans faces I cannot wait

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Joementum posted:

This Hillary donor, an "entrepreneur", has long been on record as an advocate of girls running the world.

The Jay-Z/Lil B proxy war over Hillary and Bernie is going to go down as the new Tupac and Biggie.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gravel Gravy posted:

This is merely a small pothole in the path of the Trump Bus

"I might have been married more than John McCain, but I guarantee you, my ex-wives live better than his, in yooj, luxurious Trump Penthouses."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Which wedding though? :v:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Hahahahahahaha. McCain taking a shot at someone for having had multiple wives. At least Trump didn't abandon any of them while they were sick (afaik).

Meanwhile, Trump seems to be taking aim at a new target. Is it one of his political rivals? An important donor or Republican party figure?

Nope, it's libertarian magician Penn Jillette.

Also, still, Macy's.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

richardfun posted:

Hahahahahahaha. McCain taking a shot at someone for having had multiple wives. At least Trump didn't abandon any of them while they were sick (afaik).

Meanwhile, Trump seems to be taking aim at a new target. Is it one of his political rivals? An important donor or Republican party figure?

Also, still, Macy's.

Are you thinking Newt Gingrich?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has Oliver North weighed in on the Iran deal yet?

No, but Dick Cheney has:

quote:

You asked the key question, Sean. And that is: What the hell is the president thinking of when he thinks this is a great deal? And I frankly simply do not understand. I haven't met anyone who can explain it to me

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are you thinking Newt Gingrich?

Oh crap, you're right.

Can't believe I mixed up those two...

I'll just be quiet now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

richardfun posted:

Also, still, Macy's.

Why does it seem like Trump's Twitter feed is written by the same guys who tweet for the Iron Sheik?

• Locked thread