Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Well, I decided to expand my ice fortress once again in order to prepare for hardmode and the new batch of NPCs that will show up:

On an unrelated note, are Mage/Summoner hybrid characters viable? Some of those later-game summons sound pretty cool. Would it be better to wear mage armor with a few summoner accessories, or summoner armor with magic-boosting accessories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wyvernil posted:

Well, I decided to expand my ice fortress once again in order to prepare for hardmode and the new batch of NPCs that will show up:

On an unrelated note, are Mage/Summoner hybrid characters viable? Some of those later-game summons sound pretty cool. Would it be better to wear mage armor with a few summoner accessories, or summoner armor with magic-boosting accessories?

Summon damage boosts only matter at the time of the actual summon, so you can use your table, pop a summoning potion, summon 3 dudes and swap your gear to anything else with no penalty.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Moon Lord down! Now to decide which armor set to go for first. I've been mainly using melee, but I'm considering switching to one of the others. Is a mage worthwhile solo? How about summoner with this nifty meteor dropping sword as backup?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dis astranagant posted:

Summon damage boosts only matter at the time of the actual summon, so you can use your table, pop a summoning potion, summon 3 dudes and swap your gear to anything else with no penalty.

I thought they fixed snapshotting already.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oops, looks like they did. Equip a bunch of avenger emblem based general damage buffs, then.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I just tried to get to my multiplayer world to pick up my Arkhalis and Masterful Medusa Head before I went into hardmode, and the world is corrupted and won't load. :negative: Back up your world and player files, people!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just killed the bee queen for the first time, well first few times, I wanted to craft all her gear. I have the armor, helm, grieves, and bee wand. Are there any other options at this point to have more minions? I seem to be capped at three.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Dogg, Golden Bug Net from the fisherman. It doesn't do any damage, but it cuts background objects like a weapon.

Good luck getting anything you want from the Angler. Gold Bug Net is the only thing I've gotten so far, ironically.

I just want my cellphone.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the hell I found a truffle worm underground but when I tried to catch it burrowed through the mud and fell into the lava underneath :psyduck:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zodack posted:

Good luck getting anything you want from the Angler. Gold Bug Net is the only thing I've gotten so far, ironically.

just got my gold bug net, 100 quests in

still no hotline fishing hook :shepicide:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell I found a truffle worm underground but when I tried to catch it burrowed through the mud and fell into the lava underneath :psyduck:

Yeah, truffle worms are assholes and if you get close to them they will burrow away from you way faster than you expect, and if they start burrowing than you can't catch them.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Frostmoon event achievement is demanding. I ran out of bullets for my gun and so didn't have enough DPS to get past round 14 before morning came.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wildtortilla posted:

I just killed the bee queen for the first time, well first few times, I wanted to craft all her gear. I have the armor, helm, grieves, and bee wand. Are there any other options at this point to have more minions? I seem to be capped at three.

You can fish in the underground jungle for Lardfish, which you can use to craft a potion that gives +1 minion for 10 minutes. There's also a furniture item that gives another +1 minion for 10 minutes when you click it, which you can loot from the dungeon.

Defunct Prodigy
Mar 2, 2015
I know it's been said a lot since the update, but holy poo poo yoyos wreck shop. I don't even have the Bag yet and I'm still happily destroying whatever I get to hold my cursor over.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Qylvaran posted:

Moon Lord down! Now to decide which armor set to go for first. I've been mainly using melee, but I'm considering switching to one of the others. Is a mage worthwhile solo?
I've gone mage on every character. It is an extremely effective class wether in solo or multiplayer and I love the endgame items being stupidly overpowered.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mage is cool because there's a lot of magic weapons that do different stuff. I have 4 different weapons on my toolbar to use in different situations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Mage is cool because there's a lot of magic weapons that do different stuff. I have 4 different weapons on my toolbar to use in different situations.
It's also cool because you can use several attacks at once. Throw out the Rainbow Gun, then Magnet Sphere, and then use the Nebula Blaze. Massive damage (and massive heals if you're using the Spectre Hood).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

Get some ichor torches or cursed torches. They work underwater/in honey.

Any non-torch light sources? Torches just flicker and show flames too much.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Met posted:

Any non-torch light sources? Torches just flicker and show flames too much.

Amber gemspark backwalls might work.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow Fishron seems hard. Got him to half health then he destroyed me. Is he designed assuming you have a flying mount or something? Either way it looks like I'll have to get some stuff from the invasion events first.

EDIT: Is he fast enough when enraged to catch up to someone running on an asphalt skybridge?

Zodack posted:

I've gotten TWO Gold Bug Nets but still no Fisherman's Guide(Or Lava rod or Bottomless Water Bucket).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wow Fishron seems hard. Got him to half health then he destroyed me. Is he designed assuming you have a flying mount or something? Either way it looks like I'll have to get some stuff from the invasion events first.

EDIT: Is he fast enough when enraged to catch up to someone running on an asphalt skybridge?

He moves at 102 mph normally when enraged, in his <10% phase he moves at 140-160 mph IIRC. You can keep pace with him in the Mechanical Minecart till he's in his <10% phase and then you're kinda screwed.

He was released when the best gear in the game was from the Frost Moon and remains beatable with it, it just requires you play very well. Stacking potions helps a lot, so does some form of healing (Vampire Knives for instance).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:wtc:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Did something reflect your Meowmere beam at you?

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Could I get some screenshots of Destroyer arenas you guys have made, as well as strategies? drat worm keeps killing me...

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Were you fighting the solar pillar? The solanians reflect projectiles when they're spinning.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Apparently that Meowmere thing is a known bug? At least according to the wiki.

quote:

There is a small bug where you instantly die if you use the weapon, where the chat will say that you died by the meowmere. It is unknown why this happens.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grimman007 posted:

Could I get some screenshots of Destroyer arenas you guys have made, as well as strategies? drat worm keeps killing me...

My arena for every boss (or at least the ones I actually bothered building arenas for) has been just a screen-sized square with horizontal platforms. For the destroyer I crafted the infinitely piercing magic harp and just shot it constantly (at the lowest projectile speed).

Although apparently it's easier to wreck him with holy arrows (which launch infinitely-piercing stars), especially if you use the bow from Hallow mimics.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
For the game to think you are in a certain area when fishing does the color of the water just need to change?

I went to go collect a gravestone after having just died because I wanted to make a graveyard nearby my town and I couldn't find it. Do they not always spawn or persist? I went for it directly after dying, it fell down a corruption pit if that means anything. I went down the entire pit to the bottom and found nothing.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 16, 2015

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sjonnar posted:

Were you fighting the solar pillar? The solanians reflect projectiles when they're spinning.

Yeah I was. That makes sense, I guess that explains why everything was doing 50 or so damage but then I'd take over 100 damage out of nowhere

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ichor torches are close enough. Light is still boxy but that's okay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I've beaten Golem, at what point should I do pillars? Should I do Frost Moon and Martian invasion first?

EDIT:

My arena look okay? I've got a switch to deactivate the blocks over the lava pits for when the invasion is going. Sadly those are the only heart and star statues I have, I'm gonna have to find some more. Also to the top left off screen is my Nurse's house in case I need healing.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

I'd do martian stuff before trying to tackle pillars / moon lord. Just make sure to have a fairly wide ceiling you can grapple while fighting them to avoid doom by UFO. I had a lot of luck with a yoyo and an area shaped like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----------@---------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Two layers of blocks to stop projectiles and then open sides to swing a weapon out of. With no yoyo, it will be trickier, but this will still give you a safe-ish spot to retreat to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Update 1.3.0.6

Mimic tombstones added to game.

:getin:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

So I've beaten Golem, at what point should I do pillars? Should I do Frost Moon and Martian invasion first?

There's no real need to do either. I manged to kill a few pillars using beetle armor, vampire knives and the terra blade while wearing fishron wings, though you can use lesser wings if you can't beat Fishron. Just get all the buff potions you feel will help and make sure to use them intelligently. Personally I didn't need to use them for the ancient cultist, but the pillars themselves can get pretty tough even with buffs. The real trick though is that you want to pick one of the pillars to keep alive while you make weapons out of the fragments from the other three pillars. I recommend making the solar eruption from the solar fragments because the thing is powerful enough that I recall killing skeletron in two swings, the stardust dragon from the stardust fragments because it's just a help no matter what you're doing and is drat cool, and I don't have any meaningful input to give you on the vortex or nebula weapons because I don't use much of either. It should be noted that I have endgame gear and I still need to buff up at the nebula pillar, so keep that in mind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tried taking on Plantera, got wrecked because avoiding those bouncing spiked balls (which seem to bounce really loving high) and the endless seed bullet stream is impossible. Was considering a go at Duke Fishron but I'm guessing he's probably even harder?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can fish in the underground jungle for Lardfish, which you can use to craft a potion that gives +1 minion for 10 minutes. There's also a furniture item that gives another +1 minion for 10 minutes when you click it, which you can loot from the dungeon.

:stare:

Which item is this? I need it. I need it so very much because 4 sets of Twins minions aren't enough.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The Bewitching Table is the one that gives you another minion. You can also buy them from the Witch Doctor once the Wizard moves in.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

EDIT:

My arena look okay? I've got a switch to deactivate the blocks over the lava pits for when the invasion is going. Sadly those are the only heart and star statues I have, I'm gonna have to find some more. Also to the top left off screen is my Nurse's house in case I need healing.

If that's for the martian invasion, first off I hope you can get there quickly from your spawn point because the invasion proper won't start until you go back to it, second off you should add some rows of bricks for standing under because the flying saucer will fire a damaging fuckoff beam beneath it once you destroy its weapons. If the arena's for the lunar event, I'm afraid that it will only help out with maybe one of the pillars if you get lucky and it's in the right place, because the pillars spawn in four different areas of your map and they don't move.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Met posted:

Ichor torches are close enough. Light is still boxy but that's okay.

Apparently diamond gemstone walls will light the blocks placed over them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Akett posted:

If that's for the martian invasion, first off I hope you can get there quickly from your spawn point because the invasion proper won't start until you go back to it, second off you should add some rows of bricks for standing under because the flying saucer will fire a damaging fuckoff beam beneath it once you destroy its weapons. If the arena's for the lunar event, I'm afraid that it will only help out with maybe one of the pillars if you get lucky and it's in the right place, because the pillars spawn in four different areas of your map and they don't move.

Yeah it's just a general purpose arena for Eclipses, invasions, ect. And yes my spawn is about a screen away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Akett posted:

If that's for the martian invasion, first off I hope you can get there quickly from your spawn point because the invasion proper won't start until you go back to it, second off you should add some rows of bricks for standing under because the flying saucer will fire a damaging fuckoff beam beneath it once you destroy its weapons.

I have a series of switch-controlled actuated shelters so I can take cover when I need to, but not have them block shots or movement during normal fighting.

It's also worthwhile installing a couple of honey pits. The buff lasts 30 seconds so just take a dip now and then to keep it up.

Anyone have any opinions on final-level wings? Stardust wings seem like they give me the most air-time, but Solar wings are far faster. I mostly want to be able to hang in midair to blast things.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 16, 2015