Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
So I just snagged a used Moto 360 from Amazon and was wondering if it takes a while for the apps I've downloaded on my phone to transfer over. Also, should it be losing charge while charging?

E: Never mind, it seems to have sorted itself out.

PurpleJesus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PurpleJesus posted:

So I just snagged a used Moto 360 from Amazon and was wondering if it takes a while for the apps I've downloaded on my phone to transfer over.
If this ever happens again, note that you can force a manual sync in the Wear app on your phone if needed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It looks like Woot! has picked up the final supply of the original LG G Watch. $69.99

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

PurpleJesus posted:

Also, should it be losing charge while charging?t.

I noticed this happened on mine on its dock when I made it do processor-intensive stuff - like switching watchfaces in rapid succession for long periods of time.

Maybe the QI charger can't transmit enough power when the processor is going full out.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

rt_hat posted:

I noticed this happened on mine on its dock when I made it do processor-intensive stuff - like switching watchfaces in rapid succession for long periods of time.

Maybe the QI charger can't transmit enough power when the processor is going full out.

Yeah, I missed that it was downloading the 5.1.1 update in the background. 9 hours off the charger and I have 65% battery left now, so I'm pretty happy.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Thermopyle posted:

Been messing around with watchfaces this afternoon and I'm really liking this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wmwatch.badappsquartz_fr&hl=en

It looks particularly authentic on my black 360. The black surround and text looks just like you'd expect them to on a non-smartwatch. The surrounding text is touchable to open a stopwatch, calendar, health, etc.

It's not your typical classy looking thing, but its neat.

Tried this out, but my battery died a lot earlier. Have you noticed this yourself? Still new to the device so maybe it's just busier today. Also not use to having weather info on the watchface so it might be that as well!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Played with the Urbane today. It's smaller than I expected, but the lugs stick out from my wrist and makes it look unbalanced. It also looks a bit tacky.

The screen is perfect, though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Every experience I've had with a BadApps Wear watchface has been "Oh, this is cool. It also halves my battery life. Why is this?"

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Yeah let me install something called bad apps, this seems like a good idea.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

minusX posted:

Tried this out, but my battery died a lot earlier. Have you noticed this yourself? Still new to the device so maybe it's just busier today. Also not use to having weather info on the watchface so it might be that as well!

I've been off the charger for 11 hours now and I've got 46 percent battery left. I don't use ambient mode.

Not any different from the stock Moto one I was using whose name I can't recall.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Can I pair my moto 360 with two devices at once? Specifically a phone and a tablet.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

blinking beacon nose posted:

Moto360 here

The 5.1.1 update is fine. But in older versions of the thing, it straight up brought you the Google Now voice prompt when you tapped the screen. This new version adds a few menus (for apps and contacts) that you gotta swipe through before you get to that prompt.

I'm a forgetful person, so immediate access to Google Now to (e.g.) set reminders was wonderful. You can try "OK Google," but it's less reliable than a tap on the screen.

I'll suck it up, but I'd love a way to either roll back the update; or, better, to customize what tap/tap-hold/etc do.

This ^ is getting pretty grating. I was looking for a way to rollback (losing data isn't a concern; it takes like 5 minutes to get it set up again) but even a factory reset gives me the new version. Sneaky bastards.

There are ways to root the thing, and they involve patching together a hardware cable to connect the device to a machine. No problem doing that if time allows. Might try it and come back with a trip report on what the hell a rooted watch can.. actually... do...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Can I pair my moto 360 with two devices at once? Specifically a phone and a tablet.
No, and you have to factory reset the watch to pair it with a new device which will get old fast if you have ideas about doing it frequently.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 12, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tunga posted:

No, and you have to factory reset the watch to pair it with a new device which will got old fast if you have ideas about doing it frequently.

Ah OK. To be honest I wasn't really expecting to be able to at this point but I thought I'd check. I'll just leave it paired with my phone.

Thank you.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I hate not being able to tap on the screen to bring up voice commands. Hate. Instead I have to go through a contact page..... What the hell for?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I hate not being able to tap on the screen to bring up voice commands. Hate. Instead I have to go through a contact page..... What the hell for?

Are you meaning a list of possible commands? Because you can flick your wrist to turn on the screen and say "OK Google" on mine, and then immediately issue a command. I don't understand why you'd want to involve a second hand for that. That kinda defeats the point of voice commands, in my eyes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

G-Prime posted:

Are you meaning a list of possible commands? Because you can flick your wrist to turn on the screen and say "OK Google" on mine, and then immediately issue a command. I don't understand why you'd want to involve a second hand for that. That kinda defeats the point of voice commands, in my eyes.

Now you can get into the app list by pressing the button, swiping or tapping. It was better when tap was OK google.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So I like the Woot Moto 360 w/ metal band I bought. Looks like a watch, and the notifications are neato. The most googlish thing about it are the three different numbers of steps being reported between Moto's app, Google Fit, and my Fitibit Flex's app (keeping it on to compare footstep counts... turns out it is ~10-20 percent more sensitive than the watch).

Why on earth aren't moto's native footstep app and google fit reporting the same numbers? Why would google default to the phone versus the watch for pedometer? It is a google mystery.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe they adjust for bullshit readings differently? There are black arts involved

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ah OK. To be honest I wasn't really expecting to be able to at this point but I thought I'd check. I'll just leave it paired with my phone.

Thank you.

This may be possible in the near future if the moto 360 is still getting updates at that time though.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

G-Prime posted:

I don't like saying OK Google. I also don't care about a contact list stuck between my watch face and recently used apps. It would be cool if you could organize the pages your watch shows you

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: Looks like the charger may have a short in it.

Still though how do you RMA a stress cracked 360?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Len posted:

Edit: Looks like the charger may have a short in it.

Still though how do you RMA a stress cracked 360?

You call Motorola.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

I posted this in another thread somewhere, sometime, but just throwing this out there. I work at the DMV. I see a hundred plus people a day. My unscientific estimates put it at 75% of people make a comment about my 360. From Holy poo poo dude, your watch is amazing, how do you tell the time on it??? to OMG is that the Apple watch can I see it??? Once a week, on average someone calls it out by name. I've seen like 5 Apple Watches (and one person used Apple Pay with it), and maybe 2 Android wear.

My coworker at the end of the first day sitting next to me yelled at me asking what the gently caress is with my watch and why does everyone have to comment on it.

I feel like my job would be a great place to get some tech demographics. Young and female? iPhone. From an affluent neighborhood? iPhone. From the "city", some gigantic square ZTE phone. Everyone else? Galaxy S whateverwasfreeatthetime. Also, 9 out of 10 peoples screens are cracked. There, I'll go publish my findings.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
e: oops, wrong thread, my bad!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm in San Francisco right now and have seen tons of Apple Watches and 360s. Nothing else though.

The amount of smartwatches I've seen on people that haven't bought one after talking to me in Vancouver is about 2.

Most people have no idea my Urbane is a smart watch but some say they like how the hands glow.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The ASUS ZenWatch has made a price drop on the Google Store, from $199 to $129.

https://store.google.com/product/asus_zenwatch

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Rastor posted:

Tempting, I guess second gen is right around the corner now.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Has anyone seen any silicone/plastic watch bands that work well with the Moto 360? I was at a music festival over the weekend and didn't want to get my leather band super sweaty (105 heat index, interrupted by a downpour), so I didn't take mine but I felt naked without it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Tempting, I guess second gen is right around the corner now.

They are set to announce it in september, no one knows when it will ship. Rumor is they may be leaving android wear and starting their own OS in a move to extend battery life to 7 days.

I just grabbed the ZenWatch off store.google.com. I was going to get a pebble time but this is much nicer looking and I like the extra features of the Android Wear and the AMOLED display.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Has anyone seen any silicone/plastic watch bands that work well with the Moto 360? I was at a music festival over the weekend and didn't want to get my leather band super sweaty (105 heat index, interrupted by a downpour), so I didn't take mine but I felt naked without it.
The Tylt ones are reportedly to be nice but they won't ship (at sensible prices) to the UK so I can't personally confirm that.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Tunga posted:

The Tylt ones are reportedly to be nice but they won't ship (at sensible prices) to the UK so I can't personally confirm that.

I saw those, really nice but they were too expensive for what amounts to a piece of plastic for me to sweat on. I might take a stab at a $10-$20 strap off Amazon and see how that goes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Do you plan on swapping the band in and out for just when you exercise?

I've watched the videos about how to swap the band yourself...and I still haven't bought any bands besides the one my 360 came with because I have the feeling that swapping the band is just fiddly enough that I'll swap bands for a week and then just stop doing it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Must be clear out the squares time, Amazon is discounting the Sony SmartWatch 3 off of the standard price of $249.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9OAQI0

How much discount you get depends on which color band you're willing to accept (currently showing approx. $150 - $170).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

Been messing around with watchfaces this afternoon and I'm really liking this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wmwatch.badappsquartz_fr&hl=en

It looks particularly authentic on my black 360. The black surround and text looks just like you'd expect them to on a non-smartwatch. The surrounding text is touchable to open a stopwatch, calendar, health, etc.

It's not your typical classy looking thing, but its neat.

Has anyone come across a watchface that pulls data from forecast.io?

This is really neat but how do you switch the temp to F.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Do you plan on swapping the band in and out for just when you exercise?

I've watched the videos about how to swap the band yourself...and I still haven't bought any bands besides the one my 360 came with because I have the feeling that swapping the band is just fiddly enough that I'll swap bands for a week and then just stop doing it.

No, but for weekends like this past one where I know I'm going to be out a lot, I would do it. I have watched a band replacement video, fiddly but not much worse than your average watch from what I could tell..

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

uPen posted:

This is really neat but how do you switch the temp to F.

Settings in the Watchmaker app on your phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Either they are going super, super overboard on the packaging or they are shooting for a disappointingly high price point for what will almost certainly be a last gen device by the time it hits wide availability.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's a box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

got my 129 asus zenwatch from google today... its charging an updating the OS but it looks awesome.

Love the size and band. Its perfect. Can't want to slap it on my wrist and play around... at 89% now... charges pretty fast. maybe 2 hours for a full charge?