Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poulpe posted:

For you goons doing like 4-5 runs, how long on average do they take you? I had a lot of fun in my 2 runs but I played them on iOS and I can't handle sitting through all of those cutscenes again without some kind of turbo function, all in all my runs ran somewhere around 14 hours each

With fast-forward, and actually powering through it in one go, I can get a run done in like 3 hours or so. It depends on how excite for the run I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Even if I had something that could run the iOS/Android version of the game, I would still play the GBA ROM, because I just could not deal with not having fast forward.

Also save states are nice too.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Poulpe posted:

For you goons doing like 4-5 runs, how long on average do they take you? I had a lot of fun in my 2 runs but I played them on iOS and I can't handle sitting through all of those cutscenes again without some kind of turbo function, all in all my runs ran somewhere around 14 hours each

I'm a filthy peasant who likes getting all the treasure and not running from random battles, so it takes me about 8 hours with the fast forward, unless it's an annoying run like Beastmaster where I have to go out to catch specific monsters.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beast/sum/geo/geo.

If catching a Crystelle/Thing for shell is too annoying and you're alright with putting summon on a bunch of guys you can spam Shoat/Catoblepas on the Almagest part (bottom right) until it works. Success rate is somewhere in the 10-15% range per cast depending on your level, but most of the time it'll work before Almagest gets cast.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Modoh posted:

If catching a Crystelle/Thing for shell is too annoying and you're alright with putting summon on a bunch of guys you can spam Shoat/Catoblepas on the Almagest part (bottom right) until it works. Success rate is somewhere in the 10-15% range per cast depending on your level, but most of the time it'll work before Almagest gets cast.
I won by still having Carbuncle up, biding my time a little before Lamping the back part, and it reflected Delta Attack onto the Break-vulnerable part :haw:. My Catoblepas-Summoning didn't get through, but that sure did.

I finished two runs (NED only) on Mobile with about 20h each. Did all the sidequests in both, though. I'm patient and play while watching other stuff/commuting.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Heh you guys weren't kidding when you said chemist was bugged. I accidentally confused Bartz with a maiden kiss/antidote mix and now his dead body is attacking the enemy.

Like... he's a zombie, or what?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mustard Iceman posted:

I'm a filthy peasant who likes getting all the treasure and not running from random battles, so it takes me about 8 hours with the fast forward, unless it's an annoying run like Beastmaster where I have to go out to catch specific monsters.

Let's see, playing 3-4 hours a night, finishing a run in 2-3 nights... yeah, probably about the same for me. I am a dirty grindwhore.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So, what are the limitations of Job Fairing? Do you have to JF for an earlier job before unlocking any later sets? In my case, I'm on a Random run and got Blue Mage and Berserker for my first two jobs. Could I go ahead and unlock the rest to see what jobs I got (to reduce the chance of repeats), then JF away Berserker, or do I have to JF Berserker before unlocking Fire?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Prism posted:

Like... he's a zombie, or what?

No he was literally a dead body on the ground and when he attacked his body rotate 180 degrees. It was hilarious.

Not sure it can be duplicated but my chemist confused Bartz and in his confusion Bartz killed himself. I think he was a thief and wielding a knife weapon at the time. I was also fighting one of those Omega clones in the pyramid so I'm not sure if he had any weird status effects on him.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 16, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bufuman posted:

So, what are the limitations of Job Fairing? Do you have to JF for an earlier job before unlocking any later sets? In my case, I'm on a Random run and got Blue Mage and Berserker for my first two jobs. Could I go ahead and unlock the rest to see what jobs I got (to reduce the chance of repeats), then JF away Berserker, or do I have to JF Berserker before unlocking Fire?

You can 'cheat' the unlocks if you want just by tweeting gilgabot. And you can job fair anything at any point. The only limitation is in the design - you will only be able to JF a crystal's job to jobs from that crystal. So, even if you're doing a run that can give you a water job for fire, if you JF the job you were assigned for the fire crystal, you will have to pick a fire job to replace it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ugato posted:

So, even if you're doing a run that can give you a water job for fire, if you JF the job you were assigned for the fire crystal, you will have to pick a fire job to replace it.

Not true. You can replace a particular crystal's job with one from the same crystal or an earlier. So your new fire job could be from the wind, water, or fire crystal but not earth. For example in my last chaos run after getting yet another loving Geomancer as my third job I job faired it for a Time Mage which I hadn't used before. If you're not doing Chaos or Random, though, you should stick to the same crystal just on principle.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I know this team can get a Triple Crown, but ugh... getting to World 3 is gonna suck. I'm gonna have to teach everyone Catch in Galuf's basement in order to beat World 2 Exdeath, with no way to kill the statues except Gold Needles.

Having kept that all-Freelancer save at the Fire Crystal is a great time-saver, though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mustard Iceman posted:

I know this team can get a Triple Crown, but ugh... getting to World 3 is gonna suck. I'm gonna have to teach everyone Catch in Galuf's basement in order to beat World 2 Exdeath, with no way to kill the statues except Gold Needles.

Having kept that all-Freelancer save at the Fire Crystal is a great time-saver, though.

Could you share that save?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Could you share that save?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avm2ng0ml2b7rzt/Final%20Fantasy%205%20Advance.sav?dl=0

Slot 1 is post-Wind Crystal, Slot 2 post-Water, Slot 3 post-Fire.

Don't have a post-Earth one since I've never had to Freelance that far.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avm2ng0ml2b7rzt/Final%20Fantasy%205%20Advance.sav?dl=0

yiou also don't need it unless you job faired for mime or a gba job on all four people and at that point you might as wlel just use the fiesta patch

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

#regchaos payed off

Beastmaster/Bard/Ranger/Chemist

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mustard Iceman posted:

Thanks.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Decided to go for the "All Classes" mod anyway...

Liquid Flame with three Beastmasters and a Bard kinda sucks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mustard Iceman posted:

Decided to go for the "All Classes" mod anyway...

Liquid Flame with three Beastmasters and a Bard kinda sucks.

You're telling me. :v:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Had to resort to Hide shenanigans.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I wouldn't wish Adamantoise with 4 Bards on my worst enemy.

I mean, it's far from the cruelest challenge, but having to farm Elixirs to kill Adamantoise of all bosses is really insulting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Since Liquid Flame isn't heavy, would releasing a Mani Wizard against him work?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well drat. I've decided to go ahead and see my classes, as I was thinking of starting with the fiesta mod. I got time mage, bard, samurai and chemist. :getin:

I had 3 of those jobs already, but whatever. I'll get through this run super fast and try it again! What kind of synergy does bard have with this group even though?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Sprite141 posted:

Well drat. I've decided to go ahead and see my classes, as I was thinking of starting with the fiesta mod. I got time mage, bard, samurai and chemist. :getin:

I had 3 of those jobs already, but whatever. I'll get through this run super fast and try it again! What kind of synergy does bard have with this group even though?

Samurai likes stats and levels.

Also, anything undead hates the gently caress out of Requiem, so the Great Sea Trench is going to be great for you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sing is to random encounters what Mix is to bosses, so Bard is always nice to have. You can also give !Time to the Bard to increase his magic power, and then watch him do ridiculous damage against dragons and the undead with the Apollo's Harp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Since Liquid Flame isn't heavy, would releasing a Mani Wizard against him work?

...Huh.

You'd need to do it in the human or tornado phase since the hand phase is heavy, but yeah, looks like Liquiflame lacks immunity to Dead, so Death would do the job just fine.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I'm in world two and need have no way to cast float on myself but I can confuse enemies. Where can I go to get float?

edit:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sing is to random encounters what Mix is to bosses, so Bard is always nice to have.

What makes Bard good against random encounters? I can understand why sing is great against undead, but other than that all I can think of is the confuse song.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

gatesealer posted:

I'm in world two and need have no way to cast float on myself but I can confuse enemies. Where can I go to get float?

By the time you'd need Float, you can confuse enemies via the Dancing Dagger.

e: wait, poo poo, misread. Feed an ether to a Poison Eagle in Drakenvale and wait for it to Float you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

...Huh.

You'd need to do it in the human or tornado phase since the hand phase is heavy, but yeah, looks like Liquiflame lacks immunity to Dead, so Death would do the job just fine.

this would have been nice to know about 10 minutes ago. :v:

I'll keep it in mind for future runs, though. That would have made getting the flame bow a complete nonissue, too!

(Is Breath Wing fire elemental of something?)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gatesealer posted:

edit:

What makes Bard good against random encounters? I can understand why sing is great against undead, but other than that all I can think of is the confuse song.

romeo's ballad's an aoe stop that's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBP24I2lwA

now that you have float kill gil turtle

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Fungah! posted:

romeo's ballad's an aoe stop that's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBP24I2lwA

now that you have float kill gil turtle

what? I needed float of other reason, I don't know what your talking about...shut up.

edit: Ok so first real attempt after using guard my knight got confused and then paralyzed. My whole party died, but because my knight used guard before getting paralyzed the gil turtle can't actually kill my knight so its just a loop.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 16, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

...Huh.

It's great that we're still finding new ways to cheese bosses in this game. Granted, this one probably doesn't come up very often, since you usually won't have a Beastmaster at this point.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Nihilarian posted:

this would have been nice to know about 10 minutes ago. :v:

well, poo poo. OK. I needed to learn Hide to beat Soul Cannon anyway.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

This was the best I could get. Behold the death of gil turtle.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gatesealer posted:

what? I needed float of other reason, I don't know what your talking about...shut up.

edit: Ok so first real attempt after using guard my knight got confused and then paralyzed. My whole party died, but because my knight used guard before getting paralyzed the gil turtle can't actually kill my knight so its just a loop.

lmao. what happens if you put up golem too? i forget how golem plays with guard but it should stop you from getting statused

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gatesealer posted:

This was the best I could get. Behold the death of gil turtle.

yessssss

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Fungah! posted:

yessssss

I actually killed him twice but the first time I didn't even manage to get a shot of him fading away. I was actually kind of disappointed in the rewards you get for killing him.

edit: Also wouldn't know about golem, I just switched into bone mail and managed to get a preemptive attack.

edit2: I don't understand the blood sword. When I don't have two-handed equiped it is stronger than my other swords including the flametongue, but when I have two-handed it falls behind by a lot in attack power.

gatesealer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 16, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Mid really needs to get a haircut.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

gatesealer posted:

edit2: I don't understand the blood sword. When I don't have two-handed equiped it is stronger than my other swords including the flametongue, but when I have two-handed it falls behind by a lot in attack power.
Is the other ability you're equipping instead of two-handed something that boosts magic? Maybe blood sword's drain is based off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

gatesealer posted:

I actually killed him twice but the first time I didn't even manage to get a shot of him fading away. I was actually kind of disappointed in the rewards you get for killing him.

edit: Also wouldn't know about golem, I just switched into bone mail and managed to get a preemptive attack.

Blood Sword uses the magic multiplier, and doesn't check the Command Modifier to multiplier like most physical attacks do.

And yes, two-handed doubles the multiplier even though the status screen says it doubles attack.

• Locked thread