Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Wonder if DBM Goku and Vegeta are going to break out Super Cyan when Vegitto goes on his rampage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Thunderbro posted:

Wonder if DBM Goku and Vegeta are going to break out Super Cyan when Vegitto goes on his rampage

They're not. DBM is ignoring Battle of Gods and anything after that (and GT because it sucks), because it wasn't around when this was all written.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Has any official source portrayed SSGSS or even SSG I guess in black and white? Curious how they'll do that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zelah posted:

Has any official source portrayed SSGSS or even SSG I guess in black and white? Curious how they'll do that.

Likely, the Resurrection F manga did that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fuego Fish posted:

tabletop stuff

Hm... so from what I gather, Earthlings are kinda meant to be like a support class. Pretty neat.

Regarding the issue of transformations though, one possibility would be to introduce the good old Kaioken as a secret technique to learn. So if someone dies (probably the Earthling since that's mechanically beneficial) they can pick it up from a Kai, and then unlike Goku, show everyone else.

Could maybe add a requirement that you have to roleplay to get it though - you know, help get some character interaction going.

Also if this works out, do you mind if I shamelessly use it? Got various groups of friends this could be fun to try with.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Astro Nut posted:

Hm... so from what I gather, Earthlings are kinda meant to be like a support class. Pretty neat.

Regarding the issue of transformations though, one possibility would be to introduce the good old Kaioken as a secret technique to learn. So if someone dies (probably the Earthling since that's mechanically beneficial) they can pick it up from a Kai, and then unlike Goku, show everyone else.

Could maybe add a requirement that you have to roleplay to get it though - you know, help get some character interaction going.

Also if this works out, do you mind if I shamelessly use it? Got various groups of friends this could be fun to try with.

Earthlings are a sort-of-support class, but they can support themselves and become stupid badass. At least in principle, anyway, that's sorta what I am aiming for because who the gently caress wants to be Yamcha.

Kaioken is there but it's not a "secret" technique, much like Instant Transmission doesn't require you to vist Yardrat, Kamehameha doesn't need you to study under Roshi/Goku, or whatnot. The whole point of the game is that the player's characters are, essentially, weird refugees from alternate timelines that never were that got folded into a whole new universe because they were making the place look untidy. So you could, in theory, have three Vegetas on a team and that would not only be completely fine, but also 100% in-canon for the game.

However I have no arguments against individual GMs deciding to restrict martial arts moves based on their "difficulty", and might even divide up the list into beginner and advanced.

Also I need to note that the GM is not called the GM in the finished thing, but the Narrator, and their most important job is at the start of every episode (play session), where they have to say "PREVIOUSLY ON DRAGON BALL PARALLELS" and recap what happened.

Once I have a playable version I'd be fine with playtests because that'll help me balance it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fuego Fish posted:

Also I need to note that the GM is not called the GM in the finished thing, but the Narrator, and their most important job is at the start of every episode (play session), where they have to say "PREVIOUSLY ON DRAGON BALL PARALLELS" and recap what happened.

You best not be joking about this. :allears:

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Fuego Fish posted:

That's for Saiyans. Arcosians (Freeza's people) have a different method. You (the player) must declare that this isn't even your final form and you can transform. The first time you transform in a fight, you get a +1 bonus to everything you do which goes away when you take a hit. Every subsequent time, you only get a +1 bonus to your next action.

So in theory, anyone playing an Arcosian is going to be reminding everyone else at the table that this isn't even their final form at every available opportunity so they can continue to get bonuses. This might not be 100% in line with canon, but it is potentially hilarious, so I'm keeping it that way.

It sounds like it would be funny exactly once. After that it is the sort of mechanic that tends to become a chore. Transforming for one of these guys should be more of a big deal - maybe have them build up a pool of points by doing appropriate things in a fight, then pop the transformation, which allows them to distribute these points temporarily into their stats. Then they start building up a pool again until they have enough to transform again. If they are outnumbered by strong enemies they get a bonus to point generation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Thyrork posted:

You best not be joking about this. :allears:

Absolutely serious. It's not mandatory, but let's face it, only a killjoy wouldn't.

Fightest posted:

It sounds like it would be funny exactly once. After that it is the sort of mechanic that tends to become a chore. Transforming for one of these guys should be more of a big deal - maybe have them build up a pool of points by doing appropriate things in a fight, then pop the transformation, which allows them to distribute these points temporarily into their stats. Then they start building up a pool again until they have enough to transform again. If they are outnumbered by strong enemies they get a bonus to point generation.

All that book-keeping about building up a secondary pool of points that then get temporarily assigned to your attributes sounds like much more of a chore to me. Especially if it's variable bonuses rather than a flat +1 to everything.

If I wanted to limit their transformations, then I'd just give them a Power cost, except that would be counter-intuitive to becoming stronger, or I'd limit them to once per fight, like how the Saiyan transformation works, except that would make it less unique. There are other options I could consider, but they also take all the joy (and effectiveness) out of the move.

I'll take what you've said into consideration, but the last thing I want to do for this game is have anyone have to track tedious minutiae like how many more minions they have to kill before they can transform. It's supposed to be a loose and casual game that you can throw together quickly and enjoy. A beer-and-pretzels game, as they are known.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Fuego Fish posted:

All that book-keeping about building up a secondary pool of points that then get temporarily assigned to your attributes sounds like much more of a chore to me. Especially if it's variable bonuses rather than a flat +1 to everything.

If I wanted to limit their transformations, then I'd just give them a Power cost, except that would be counter-intuitive to becoming stronger, or I'd limit them to once per fight, like how the Saiyan transformation works, except that would make it less unique. There are other options I could consider, but they also take all the joy (and effectiveness) out of the move.

I'll take what you've said into consideration, but the last thing I want to do for this game is have anyone have to track tedious minutiae like how many more minions they have to kill before they can transform. It's supposed to be a loose and casual game that you can throw together quickly and enjoy. A beer-and-pretzels game, as they are known.

Having actually read your document, I now think that you are absolutely right. I am too used to bookkeeping games, so I defaulted to that sort of mechanic, and it does seem out-of-place.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fightest posted:

Having actually read your document, I now think that you are absolutely right. I am too used to bookkeeping games, so I defaulted to that sort of mechanic, and it does seem out-of-place.

This being the kind of game where you can get drunk but still almost follow the rules means that there's no such thing as "only funny once". Assuming that everyone's had enough to drink.

Plus, while you can yell out THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM every five seconds, it's not going to be healthy for you. Every time a player makes a move, the GM (Narrator) can retaliate. So constantly changing forms will see you getting attacked a lot, assuming the Narrator is on the ball.

From what I've tested so far, the best tactic is to hold your transformation in reserve until you either really need, or just really want that +1 ongoing-until-hit. If you transform immediately at the start of a fight, sure you get the bonus right away, but you're more likely to lose it because all of your opponents are free to immediately hit you. It's best to wait until your friends have engaged a few in one-on-one punchbouts, keeping them occupied, and then you can spring the trap.

However you have given me an idea for an optional ability called "This Actually Is My Final Form" which ends your ability to transform in exchange for a +2 ongoing-until-hit. A real risk/reward deal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fightest posted:

Transforming for one of these guys should be more of a big deal.

Going back to this, I kinda disagree, multiple transformations are the Freeza people's whole deal, really. Freeza was busting out new transformations ever couple of minutes. The entire fight with him was boiled down to "This isn't even my final form!" with the power slowly ramping up.

A single transformation is only really a big deal for the saiyans, and even then, Super Saiyan is a big deal until you do it, and then it isn't. I was thinking on it and Super Saiyan doesn't really need a distinct mechanic to model going up the tiers in a battle because that never really comes up in the show. The saiyans only ever have one, big, showy transformation that turns the tides of battle. Goku goes Super Saiyan, Goku goes Super Saiyan 3, Gotenks going Super Saiyan 3, Trunks going Super-Roid Saiyan and Gohan goes SSJ 2 are the only ones that actually matter (haven't seen Revenge of the Sith) in a fight, as far as I recall. The rest of the time, people just fight in the form that they turn up to the fight as. Vegeta and Trunks have their buff forms, but they pretty much are in that form to begin with, I think? Goku and Gohan are always blond before goign against cell, and I always got the impression, aside from Goku stalling Buu by going through them all, that SSJ2 is just Super Saiyan perfected and everyone always uses that once it's mastered.

I think what you've got is good and better than the following, but if I had to come up with some alternatives, it I'd either make it so that Super Saiyan is just a vegetable flavoured "mid-battle surge" mechanic where you come back from the brink to defeat your enemies. OR I'd go totally bonkers Dragonball AF old internet style and have a counter on your sheet where you note down which Super Saiyan form you've achieved (and thus always fight in) and when the chips are really down you have a move like "I have become the Legend! The legend that you FEAR!" or something that lets you ascend to an even MORE Super Super Saiyan form, probably resetting every adventure or something so that you wouldn't have players ratcheting up 17 or 18 different forms if they play it for long.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really think if you're trying to make every transformation a super special thing then eventually you're going to end up with a lot of moving parts for something that was never so complex in the show, transformations are just power boosts.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
In some ways would it be easier to roll at the beginning to establish base power levels and try to increase it with training events (+x), fights/zenkai (+30%), learning techniques, gaining transformations (x2/x5..)etc?

Eg you might be Yamcha and roll 7 and Vegeta might roll 5 so Vegeta has to reach Capsule Corp and get into the gravity room before Yamcha canintercept him.

I know nothing about tabletop gaming.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 16, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragon Ball Super manga issue 2 has been scanlated. It's about Beerus vs Goku at Kai's place, but Champa and not Whis show up. They seem more actively aggressive than Beerus

I'm not sharing a link because I got a slap on the wrist last time I linked a thing so I'm going to err on the side of caution. If Beef Chief says it's okay, I'll add it in here or something.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 16, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dont be a loving baby http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/002/2864/1

e: I'm going to live forever

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I like the changes made to the Beerus and Goku fight, although some of the humor from BoG was left out. The showcase of SS1, SS2, and SS3 was nice. And the kick-rear end planet punch still remained too.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Szmitten posted:

In some ways would it be easier to roll at the beginning to establish base power levels and try to increase it with training events (+x), fights/zenkai (+30%), learning techniques, gaining transformations (x2/x5..)etc?

Eg you might be Yamcha and roll 7 and Vegeta might roll 5 so Vegeta has to reach Capsule Corp and get into the gravity room before Yamcha canintercept him.

I know nothing about tabletop gaming.

Rolling for stats is a bad mechanic, because it's putting the character's effectiveness into the hands of random chance, which makes things hard to balance. How are you supposed to ensure fairness in the game when it's possible that one player rolled nothing but 1s and 2s, and another nothing but 6s? It's all very well and good for trash-tier games like D&D, but I'm holding myself to a higher standard of fun here.

Plus the players are all on the same side here, they're the heroes. There's nothing to gain by having their abilities be wildly different at the start, nor are they going to be fighting each other (except in training sessions and rare situations).

There are no definitive "power levels" either, it's all inferred by the situation. If the GM/Narrator says the big villain is Raditz and he just blocked your kamehameha one-handed, then that's because you're all at a low power level. If Raditz returns later, after many training sessions and power-ups, then the GM/Narrator can just set him to "scrub tier" instead of "major threat".

Enemies in Parallels are not built like the player characters, they work off an entirely different system. They're more like a mix of abilities that the Narrator can use to respond to the actions of the players, and they come in three basic flavours: minions, threats, and villains.

Minions are so disposable they die in one hit. They are represented by tokens, and every time one of them dies, the Narrator adds a token to the Pile Of Dead Minions. Their abilities change based on how many of them have died. If none have died, they have a "we can do this!" mentality. If too many have died, it's a "gently caress we're all going to die" mentality. Saibamen, Freeza's mooks, that sort of thing.

Threats are one step above minions, in that they don't die if you hit them hard enough once. Sometimes it's like, three times or more. They're a reasonable opponent to have a prolonged fight against, but they're not the major villain of the saga. They usually have some sort of interesting gimmick to their abilities, and they work well in small squads. The Ginyu Squad, Cell Juniors, Zarbon and Dodoria, etc.

Villains are generally singular, but not always, and are the focal point of the saga. They take a lot to put down (and don't always die properly the first time) and are pretty dangerous to tangle with. Generally they will stay behind the minions and threats until forced to enter the fray personally, and then it's motherfuckin' boss fight time. Once a villain is defeated, the saga is more-or-less considered officially "over" and the next one can begin after a rousing bout of filler.

edit: sorry for all the words about the game

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Fun chapter, though more of a direct retread on BoG than last time. I'm kinda curious about one thing though:

Specifically, whether this is just a one off gag, a reference I'm not getting (since there have been a few side series), or maybe even foreshadowing?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Crossposting from the Android Games thread:

mrkillboy posted:

For any Dragon Ball fans Bandai Namco have released a new game called DRAGON BALL Z DOKKAN BATTLE. Pocket Gamer says its some kind of puzzle/board game hybrid; I tried to watch a video of the gameplay but all it did was leave me even more confused.

I've downloaded it but haven't done anything with it yet. Will probably check it out later.

Edit: it has to download a bunch of crap to start and one of the images is Chiaotzu blocking a kick from Cell. This game is going to be interesting.

Edit2: Another Time Patrol plotline.. hmm.. Maybe it'll turn up in Super too!

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Fun chapter, though more of a direct retread on BoG than last time. I'm kinda curious about one thing though:

Specifically, whether this is just a one off gag, a reference I'm not getting (since there have been a few side series), or maybe even foreshadowing?

Shenron?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

dont be a loving baby http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/002/2864/1

e: I'm going to live forever

Not if that dinosaur guy comes back and kills us all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Astro Nut posted:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Giran did nothing wrong.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Astro Nut posted:

I haven't read the Japanese, but I feel like that might be a mistranslation, since there was a very similar but also quite different line in BoG.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This was such a good arc, I still get a huge laugh from Krillin beating the smelly guy by realising he wasn't drawn with a nose

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't read the Japanese, but I feel like that might be a mistranslation, since there was a very similar but also quite different line in BoG.

I've read elsewhere that it was mistranslated as well, but those claiming it never actually said what the original was.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Astro Nut posted:

Obviously, he is talking about the first, true villain of Dragonball:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Aurain posted:

I've read elsewhere that it was mistranslated as well, but those claiming it never actually said what the original was.

Yeah, I just rechecked BoG and the line is something like "That's the planet that had something called dinosaurs which were really rude, so I killed them all."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I just rechecked BoG and the line is something like "That's the planet that had something called dinosaurs which were really rude, so I killed them all."

And then you see a dinosaur later on while beerus is fighting goku proving you shouldn't trust anything anyone says in that movie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

And then you see a dinosaur later on while beerus is fighting goku proving you shouldn't trust anything anyone says in that movie.

Well, okay, the line is closer to "I exterminated them," but either way it leaves open the possibility of some surviving.

Freeza's pretty bad at genocide too, to be fair.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Some Numbers posted:

Well, okay, the line is closer to "I exterminated them," but either way it leaves open the possibility of some surviving.

Now I'm just imagining, like, a caveman Freeza balancing a huge asteroid on one finger like one of the Harlem Globetrotters, ready to annihilate the filthy reptiles so the legendary Super Saurian never arises to end him.

In fact, the next saga of Dragon Ball Super is going to be the long-lost Prince of All Pterodactyls coming to earth so he can wish time back 65 million years and restore his homeworld to its rightful state.

Actually that wouldn't be a bad adventure idea for my game, I'm writing that one down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Now I'm just imagining, like, a caveman Freeza balancing a huge asteroid on one finger like one of the Harlem Globetrotters, ready to annihilate the filthy reptiles so the legendary Super Saurian never arises to end him

Someone loving draw this.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Also, Prehistoric Freeza needs to be called Iceage.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Fuego Fish posted:

Also, Prehistoric Freeza needs to be called Iceage.

"What killed the dinosaurs???"

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

New Leaf posted:

Crossposting from the Android Games thread:

I've downloaded it but haven't done anything with it yet. Will probably check it out later.

This is on iOS too it seems fine. Puzzle & Dragonsy bubble bobble type of game

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's loving awesome is what it is. Don't know why more of you aren't getting into it. Zarbon, Android 17, and Chiatzu vs. Cell Jrs right now.

If anyone does play and figures out what a "Z Battle Card" is, please share with the rest of the class..

Edit: Mercenary Tao just beat up Imperfect Cell

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 16, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

On the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Super:

Kuririn This Week
Hurry to Bulma’s Birthday Party!
Kuririn and family head by car to Bulma’s birthday party on a luxurious passenger ship! But they get stuck in a traffic jam…?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Darko posted:

On the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Super:

Kuririn This Week
Hurry to Bulma’s Birthday Party!
Kuririn and family head by car to Bulma’s birthday party on a luxurious passenger ship! But they get stuck in a traffic jam…?!

How can you hate this episode.

How.

• Locked thread