Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

did she use teeth? im okay with sex offender list for tooth dragging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That would fit the theme of the OSHA thread, right?

http://www.theagitator.com/2008/11/23/woman-may-lose-home-over-decade-old-blowjob/

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think the weirdest part of this image is looking at the underride guard behind the apparently-untouched back wheel. Either there's some damage there I'm not seeing, the underride guard doesn't go all the way across the back of the truck, or the physics of crashes are :catdrugs:

You can see the full-width lower bar of the underride guard just behind the mudflap of the truck, somewhere around the firewall of the car. As for not hurting the back wheel of the Corvette, :catdrugs: -- there's plenty of room for the wheel itself between the underride guard and road, the 'vette's tire compressed as it went under and/or the trailer was lifted a little by the upper works of the car.

Could be worse, I've seen (in person -- I'm a newspaper photographer) one where a minivan got into a tangle with an 18-wheeler, and the biggest piece left of the van was the engine block (well, the biggest piece we could publish a photo of, anyway, we have a policy of no obvious bodies/gore*). I forget the details of how it happened and the exact number of people in the van, but the whole family, including grandma and a couple of cousins, were ... difficult to definitively identify. :smith:

*reminds me of the time one of my coworkers came back from the scene where a guy had stuffed a Mustang into a tree at triple-digit speeds; the editors refused to run the best photo because the body (covered in a sheet) was in frame. They eventually made her crop out the shroud. I had a way to make this funny when I started, but I forgot. It was only half the driver under the sheet, though, is the joke.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

a big fat bunny posted:

Back in grammar school, our science teacher basically made this comment followed with the threat of having to do a flying drop kick to dislodge whichever dumb kid managed to start frying themselves. Coming from a 6 foot, heavy set lady in her early 50s means that a lot of the pre-teens found the idea of this happening super funny. Thankfully it was all just a legend and something that never had to happen.

I totally hosed up the wording on my post. It's DC that makes it harder to pry you away, because it locks you down hard onto whatever you're grabbing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:stare: Glad there was water at the bottom at least.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well at least they had hardhats. Home boy is just tired of climbing down poo poo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Before the water came into frame, I thought this was in one of those super hot icelandic bays, where the water flow is fast enough to crush you against the rocks.

Dude lucked out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

"Cavers"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

Oral sex = sodomy = immoral and, occasionally, illegal. It still works! Fun fact, there have been women put on sex offender lists for giving blow jobs. The US is great!

How bad do you have to be?

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

bitcoin bastard posted:

did she use teeth? im okay with sex offender list for tooth dragging

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
plugchat: in italy we use the type L, otherwise known as "no fucks given whatsoever"

all other standards seem to take great pains in not letting you plug it in the "wrong" way and use these hugely offset earth pins: well, type L does not. slap it in either way, don't care. plug them in anywhere in fact: type L plugs (well, the smaller format, the larger is virtually dead thank christ) are so slim you can cram them in almost any european socket. the pins are smaller, and it can slip by things like france's weird male earth on the socket. earth pin in the way? take the plug apart and throw the pin away

I only wish they made sockets with holes large enough for schuko (earth, what earth), because adapters almost always do but wall-mounted socket don't

(I swear I never had an electrical fire)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It's AC so it doesn't matter. I'll assume the middle is ground though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

falz posted:

It's AC so it doesn't matter. I'll assume the middle is ground though.

Asymmetric plugs (like the US one) lets you define which is neutral and live, where applicable. I have no idea if anything anywhere depends on it, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy. poo poo.

:stonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Electrical socket + tinfoil + penis.

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/90szr5S.gifv

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

In bittersweet news, after 2 years in court, multiple arrests, court cases, drama, etc, she was able to get off the registry and back into her home in 2010.

https://www.schr.org/action/resources/woman_who_had_consensual_sex_as_a_teenager_no_longer_required_to_register_as_a_sex_

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Computer viking posted:

Asymmetric plugs (like the US one) lets you define which is neutral and live, where applicable. I have no idea if anything anywhere depends on it, though.

One of the potential dangers is that extremely old electrical equipment, like radios, often had the metal part of the chassis wired to one of the legs as a common connection point. Under the right conditions, the metal case could become live depending on how it's plugged in or whether it's switched on or off. (Chassis would be hot if switched on or hot if switched off.)

http://www.antiqueradio.org/safety.htm

They might also use an isolation transformer between the wall outlet and the device that has a hot chassis - 120 volts in, 120 volts out, but there's no ground reference on the output, so that makes it a lot harder to get a dangerous shock, although the chassis may still be electrified in reference to the other connection at the isolation transformer.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 17, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why do some two-spade (e.g., not grounded) plugs/devices have one spade larger, forcing it to be plugged in in one way and not the other? Is there any actual danger, no matter how slight, to the device or its user, to having it plugged in the other way around?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Why do some two-spade (e.g., not grounded) plugs/devices have one spade larger, forcing it to be plugged in in one way and not the other? Is there any actual danger, no matter how slight, to the device or its user, to having it plugged in the other way around?

Those are for polarity. On the receptacle, the narrow slot is supposed to be connected to the black (hot) wire and the wider slot is connected to the white (neutral) wire. It's usually on appliances and the switch is on the lead with the narrow spade. So that when the switch is off, there's no voltage reaching the appliance.

I'm pretty sure three-prong are the same way (the switch is on the hot lead), but since they can only fit in one way, the neutral spade doesn't need to be larger.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 17, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

You know the famous butter knife in the toaster shocking the poo poo out of someone gag? Generally safe now with the size standard. Basically underwriter certified circuits are only really certified for one direction because the easy safety solution is to put the switch nearest to the hot source. If you reverse that then you've got most of the circuit hot even if its switched off.

E. I still wouldn't stick a butter knife in a toaster because backwards receptacles are scarily common.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 17, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

flosofl posted:

Those are for polarity. On the receptacle, the narrow slot is supposed to be connected to the black (hot) wire and the wider slot is connected to the white (neutral) wire. It's usually on appliances and the switch is on the lead with the narrow spade. So that when the switch is off, there's no voltage reaching the appliance.

I'm pretty sure three-prong are the same way (the switch is on the hot lead), but since they can only fit in one way, the neutral spade doesn't need to be larger.

Until some dumbass cuts off the ground prong. For some reason my step dad did this a lot with the power cords on the things he owned.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

You know the famous butter knife in the toaster shocking the poo poo out of someone gag? Generally safe now with the size standard. Basically underwriter certified circuits are only really certified for one direction because the easy safety solution is to put the switch nearest to the hot source. If you reverse that then you've got most of the circuit hot even if its switched off.

E. I still wouldn't stick a butter knife in a toaster because backwards receptacles are scarily common.

This doesn't make sense to me. How can one "side" of an incomplete circuit be hot and the other side not? An incomplete circuit is incomplete.

...wait, are you saying the danger is if the "hot" side isn't switched off, a person could create a connection between the device and a ground, and this would complete a circuit? I didn't think that was possible with A/C (but I don't realllly grok A/C anyway).

e. How hard would it be to just have your switch disconnect both leads that go to the plug? Surely that would be safest...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Leperflesh posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. How can one "side" of an incomplete circuit be hot and the other side not? An incomplete circuit is incomplete.

...wait, are you saying the danger is if the "hot" side isn't switched off, a person could create a connection between the device and a ground, and this would complete a circuit? I didn't think that was possible with A/C (but I don't realllly grok A/C anyway).

e. How hard would it be to just have your switch disconnect both leads that go to the plug? Surely that would be safest...

I'm not sure about all the rest, but the bolded bit is definitely the case. Think of it like lightning falling out of a cloud, then leaping back, 120/240 times a second until the connection breaks. And nobody cares about DPST switches on appliances when SPST costs half as much and renders the thing just as safe.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

AC is pretty easy

Basically you have one wire that goes from +volts through 0volts to -volts and back again many times a second
You have one wire that is held at 0volts
You have one wire going to the Earth

Things should not go through the Earth unless something is wrong

If you have your switch on the 0volt lead, it means inside the whole appliance is going from +volts to -volts but can't flow out so the appliance doesn't run
But it means that if someone connects themselves to the appliance (like with a butter knife or slipped screwdriver), the electricity will flow through them

If the switch is on the +volts/-volts wire, the electricity never makes it into the appliance

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Three-Phase posted:

Setting up, running those crashes, and then picking apart the car and the high-speed to look at and evaluate the design looks like an extremely awesome job. Still, some of those impacts are BRUTAL. :gonk:

Do they use supercomputers nowadays more to do crash testing (finite element analysis or whatever) in a computer instead of using actual vehicles? (I think that might be used more in the design phase, and then the crashing verifies that the simulation is acceptably accurate.) At least they were wrecking Malibus instead of destroying good cars.
The in-car shots are kind of morbidly humorous when the airbag deploys then the back of the trailer plows right through it and into the dummy's face.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Say Nothing posted:

Electrical socket + tinfoil + penis.

:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/90szr5S.gifv

better with sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7-Jy_sCMs

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much as you would expect.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

In bittersweet news, after 2 years in court, multiple arrests, court cases, drama, etc, she was able to get off the registry and back into her home in 2010.

https://www.schr.org/action/resources/woman_who_had_consensual_sex_as_a_teenager_no_longer_required_to_register_as_a_sex_

ugh but yet finally awesome

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Say Nothing posted:

Pretty much as you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5z0yYGgl4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Computer viking posted:

I don't know how Italy delivers power to homes, but it's possible that it's two phases going to the home, with 230V phase voltage, in which case the other two pins are the two phase lines and the center pin is the neutral, in which case it's not going to make a single difference which way you turn the plug.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this is italy.txt:

quote:

The dual standards were initially adopted because in Italy, up to the second half of the 20th century, electricity used for lamps and that used for all other purposes was at two different voltages (220 V single or split phase and 127 V single phase), sold at different tariffs, charged with different taxes, accounted with separated electricity meters, and sent on different wire lines that ended with different sockets.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leperflesh posted:

"Hot" means "there's voltage present," not "there's current flowing." With a polarized plug, you ensure that you're switching the hot wire, so there's no voltage present downstream of the switch when the switch is off. If you can insert the plug either way, then you can wind up in a situation where the entire appliance is energized even with the switch off, because the switch is interrupting the neutral side of the circuit. In that case, even though the appliance appears off because the neutral is interrupted, there's still voltage that can bite you.

Analogy: consider a standard Edison-base lightbulb:

The bottom of the socket, which makes contact with the very base of the bulb, is supposed to be the hot side, because it's less likely that you'll make contact with it, and the collar of the base, the part with the screw threads that actually mates with the socket, is the neutral side. With a polarized plug inserted correctly, and the switch is off, there's no voltage on the hot terminal at the bottom of the socket (because the switch is off), and there's no voltage on the neutral side (because it's the neutral). Nice and safe. Even if the switch is on, it's still relatively safe, because while the base of the socket is energized, you're not likely to inadvertently stick your finger down in there to touch the hot terminal.

But now reverse the plug and you've turned the collar into the hot side and the terminal at the base of the socket into the neutral. The switch is "off," but the switch switches the wire going to the bottom of the socket, not the collar, so even with the switch in the off position there's voltage on the collar. Touch that collar while you're grounded, like maybe when you're replacing the lightbulb, and you're going to get shocked, even though the switch is off and the bulb won't actually light up once you screw it in. The collar is hot regardless of the switch position, and that's not safe.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 17, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

simplefish posted:

AC is pretty easy

Basically you have one wire that goes from +volts through 0volts to -volts and back again many times a second
You have one wire that is held at 0volts
You have one wire going to the Earth

A few variants:

In American 240/120V systems, there are two hots and a neutral. The neutral is fixed at 0 volts. However the two AC waveforms on each hot wire are 180 degrees out of phase with one another. So if you put a load between the two hots, you have 240V.

In three phase systems, you have three hot lines, and sometimes a neutral. If you've got a neutral that's a wye system. So your phase voltage is the voltage between any of the lines and the neutral. Each of the phase voltages are 120 degrees out of phase, so if you connect a load between any of the two wires, you get 1.73 (square root of 3) times the phase voltage. That gives you voltage combinations like:
  • 69/120 (oddball)
  • 120/208 (standard light industrial and commercial)
  • 230/400 (non-US)
  • 277/480 (standard industrial)
  • 347/600 (standard industrial)
  • 440/790 (rare/oddball)
  • 2400/4160 (common for overhead lines and large facility power distribution)

On a delta system there are three phases but there is no neutral and often no ground reference at all, so you can only connect loads line to line. You can also have a ground fault on one and ONLY one of the phases and basically nothing happens. However if another line goes to ground, you can have a spectacular short circuit. So you need ground detection systems to alert that there's a problem on those systems.

Oh, and one great little trick - if you have a three phase motor that spins clockwise and you want it to turn counterclockwise (or vice-versa), just swap any two of the three wires. This works on motors you can carry by hand all the way up to giant ten-thousand horsepower motors. And yes, I have had to swap wires on the bigger ones because when they were tested they ended up spinning the wrong way. :science:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

I don't know how Italy delivers power to homes, but it's possible that it's two phases going to the home, with 230V phase voltage, in which case the other two pins are the two phase lines and the center pin is the neutral, in which case it's not going to make a single difference which way you turn the plug.

The center pin is probably protective ground, not neutral. Everything will work in a more unsafe state without it.

And yea, two live is what we have traditionally used here, at least. Three-phase at 230V phase-to-phase; what you get in a socket is two live phases and hopefully a protective ground. Phase to ground is 133V, but since "ground" often means "copper rod hammered into a flowerbed" that's not something you'd actually use. Given the above discussion of switching styles, I hope most things sold here have DPST switches?

Three-Phase posted:

One of the potential dangers is that extremely old electrical equipment, like radios, often had the metal part of the chassis wired to one of the legs as a common connection point. Under the right conditions, the metal case could become live depending on how it's plugged in or whether it's switched on or off. (Chassis would be hot if switched on or hot if switched off.)

http://www.antiqueradio.org/safety.htm

They might also use an isolation transformer between the wall outlet and the device that has a hot chassis - 120 volts in, 120 volts out, but there's no ground reference on the output, so that makes it a lot harder to get a dangerous shock, although the chassis may still be electrified in reference to the other connection at the isolation transformer.

Huh, kind of like how you wire a car. "Eh, whatever metal bit you can bolt to will do as a negative terminal", and then you just run (and switch) positive leads.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 17, 2015

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
One of the guys I work with had to walk away from a job the other week. He poked his head into a roof space to do some wiring and was met by about a dozen old hypodermic needles.

The owners response? "oh yeah those have been up there for ages. We don't go up there so we couldn't be bothered to get someone in to remove them"

What the gently caress people?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys, thanks for the introduction to A/C lesson, very helpful. What's funny is, I've done a fair bit of outlet-replacing in my house; I always carefully follow instructions and I have a little plug-in device that tells me if the poles are switched, or if ground isn't grounded. But I never really grokked exactly what was going on with the two poles.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Computer viking posted:

Huh, kind of like how you wire a car. "Eh, whatever metal bit you can bolt to will do as a negative terminal", and then you just run (and switch) positive leads.

Yeah and that's why you should always disconnect the negative cable first when disconnecting a car battery and connect the positive cable first when connecting a car battery.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

more pics of people getting hosed up pelase

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I think real cars are pretty much necessary for reliable testing. Even a supercomputer can't account for every single variable in a real crash.

Exactly how are cars sourced for crash tests? Do car makers send a certain percentage of models for sacrifice or are old and junky cars donated?

Tunicate posted:

Iirc insurancde companies pay for a lot of it.
You are correct

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/faq
Q: Where do you get the vehicles you crash test and who pays for them?

A: We buy the vehicles we test from dealers just like an ordinary consumer. If the test isn't part of our regular schedule but was specially requested by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer reimburses us. Otherwise, it's paid for out of our crash testing budget.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/about-us/member-groups
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is an independent, nonprofit scientific and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries and property damage — from crashes on the nation's roads.

The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) shares and supports this mission through scientific studies of insurance data representing the human and economic losses resulting from the ownership and operation of different types of vehicles and by publishing insurance loss results by vehicle make and model.

Both organizations are wholly supported by auto insurers and insurance associations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUwEwN4C-gk

• Locked thread