Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Is that the real Dr Ferrari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
I don't think so :)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Looks like there is a proper tasty group forming for this stage

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Loads of French riders too, so we might actually get to see it today.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
This article from 2012 feels like an alternate reality now

quote:

“Obvious, it’s a concern. Chris is terribly thin and the weight issue seems to have become something of an obsession,” said Nigel Hudwink, a former member of Sky’s sports science group. “Rasmussen was a freak and they don’t want Froome headed in that direction.

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/sky-concerned-froome-looking-too-rasmussen/

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Finally able to watch a whole stage. It probably means that it'll be a boring stage with Froome winning.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Without Froome we'd have the first 7 riders within 2 minutes of each other. gently caress Froome.

In general in the past years in almost all GCs the competition for the 2nd place has always been more exciting than the leading jersey. What is wrong with cycling?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
for everyone stuck with the horrible french footage there's this: http://betalivetracking.letour.fr/

...it helps a bit with getting an oversight of what the actual gently caress is happening when the french TV is more concerned with the french hope du jour.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 16, 2015

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Come on Team Sky

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Exactly. Hes won gently caress all that matters and is now dropping people like Nibali and Contador.

That is an entirely normal trajectory for an elite athlete, it's no where near like froomes

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Froome went from a nodody, joining Team Sky the same year as he got DQ'ed for holding a motorbike in the Giro to coming second in the Vuelta and using some bullshit disease as excuse for his earlier performances

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Another French hopeful est lâché! :monocle:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

cmon Fuglsang ftw

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So the Eurosport narrators were narrating what sounded like action on the course.

What did we see on the screen?

Dudes ringing a bell in what looked like a priory or something. For more than a minute.

At this point, are the TdF directors screwing with us?

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
The weather on Plateau de Beille is horrible at the moment. Maybe something will happen today...

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The live video feed went down before it's hailing at the finish line.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're protesting about the use of performance enhancing drugs among sports broadcasters. They want more of them.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It looks loving miserable at the finish, people running from the hail

edit: helicopters now grounded, motos only

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 16, 2015

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't really get the other teams letting Kennaugh lead Froome down the descent at walking pace. Couldn't they at least try and force him into some difficult riding?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

I don't really get the other teams letting Kennaugh lead Froome down the descent at walking pace. Couldn't they at least try and force him into some difficult riding?

yeah surely someone with some descending skill should be flying off the front to force froome to his limit

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

peanut- posted:

This tour is over and it sucks

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Rips the commentary booth

Young didi running alongside pantani :3:

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
To be fair, with those patches of wet on the road like that it's a pretty dangerous descent, It would be a pretty risky thing to try and go full gas with the surface changing quickly and unpredictably the way it was.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Rips the commentary booth

Young didi running alongside pantani :3:

I thought didi had retired but i've seen him this tour.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would he even chase a descender? He probably thinks he can take a few minutes loss on the way down and make it up on the climb.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This looks brilliant. Electrical storms apparently the reason for the loss of commentary.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ted Ed Fred posted:

To be fair, with those patches of wet on the road like that it's a pretty dangerous descent, It would be a pretty risky thing to try and go full gas with the surface changing quickly and unpredictably the way it was.

I guess, but we're over three climbs and how many riders do Sky still have around Froome? 6? Someone needs to take some risks to at least try and make Sky work for something.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Hail might break Froome's wrist and save the tour

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Will froome lose his front wheel braking on the climbs?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Really hope Kwiatkowski posts today's stage to Strava with power data intact.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/getting-cavendish-over-the-pyrenees-kwiatkowskis-stage-11-strava_378267

Yesterday's https://www.strava.com/activities/346653960

dema fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 16, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hes been doing every stage like that so far, be very odd if he didnt for this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What kind of name is Froome, anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Over/under on when Nibali gets dropped today?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Saw a bum

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

big attacks!

also commentary now sounds like it's coming over a phone

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
loving Barguil cam again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

serious gaylord posted:

loving Barguil cam again.

Attack!

And another attack!

And a random french dude??????

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rips Kwiatkowski

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Many bum.

Not sure why they're not having Sky do all the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This is such poo poo, watching the tour stage all morning and having to leave for work as the final climb begins.