Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey guys,

Any recommendations on setup for a painting space? I recently moved and have been setting up my apt and am just getting back into modeling / painting and I don't really have a good space in my apartment set up to hold paints/brushes/supplies and have space/lighting for actually painting the models. My default would be to just get a cheap table but it'd be nice to have a designated space and I was wondering if other people have a particular maybe desk or other thing they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Direwolf posted:

Hey guys,

Any recommendations on setup for a painting space? I recently moved and have been setting up my apt and am just getting back into modeling / painting and I don't really have a good space in my apartment set up to hold paints/brushes/supplies and have space/lighting for actually painting the models. My default would be to just get a cheap table but it'd be nice to have a designated space and I was wondering if other people have a particular maybe desk or other thing they use.

Is this deskchat now? Oh poo poo

Fresh

Under heavy use

Ikea owns

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have an incredibly masculine setup as befits this noble hobby

I struggle to paint under a lamp, so it's always a window for me

e: the tea in that pot is an oolong called IRON GODDESS OF MERCY :black101:

and it has a light apricot flavour

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 15, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If you're having a hard time with fine details, I recommend a pair of magnifying glasses that you wear and can flip down when you need them. I've noticed that my shading and blending has gotten much better because I can see the problem areas and catch them before they grow and start to make it look sloppy.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah totally, also helps A LOT with sculpting. It's NOT because I'm getting old!

Workspace in my messy corner of the dining room:

I cant wait till we move to out new house were we have room for an actual workshop :D

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Skarsnik posted:

I have an incredibly masculine setup as befits this noble hobby

I struggle to paint under a lamp, so it's always a window for me

e: the tea in that pot is an oolong called IRON GODDESS OF MERCY :black101:

and it has a light apricot flavour

That actually looks super comfy and cozy and with a nice view too. :3:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah it totally is, though I would describe the view of Cardiff as interesting rather than nice

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah it totally is, though I would describe the view of Cardiff as interesting rather than nice

Well I mean 'nice' as in 'above ground floor.'

To compare, my shades are perpetually drawn because the pull chain is busted and I can't raise or open the blindes, and even if I could all I'd see is more condos and the occasional stray cat.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Not actually mini related, but you all seem to have the most experience with various varnishes and protective glosses. I'm hoping to get a silver paint pen signature or a white marker pen signature on a piece of heavily handled electronics. Am I right that if I want it to be protected, a layer of future is probably the best way to go? I'm willing to spend more if there's a more durable product. I really just want to varnish the signature itself so anything I can apply precisely is a plus.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
First time painting robes. 6 stage process. Not entirely happy with it but live and learn.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 16, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

everythingWasBees posted:

Not actually mini related, but you all seem to have the most experience with various varnishes and protective glosses. I'm hoping to get a silver paint pen signature or a white marker pen signature on a piece of heavily handled electronics. Am I right that if I want it to be protected, a layer of future is probably the best way to go? I'm willing to spend more if there's a more durable product. I really just want to varnish the signature itself so anything I can apply precisely is a plus.

I have Nathan Fillions signature on a Katana that is under two layers of future and one of Vallejo matte varnish and it seems to be doing OK. It was a bit scuffed by the time I put the varnish on but it doesn't seem to have been harmed since then by people removing the sword from the scabbard and then putting it back in.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

Would that be on top of a metallic basecoat of some sort? I'm going to be painting Grey Knight power weapons. I finally got a good airbrush, but doing the usual fades just seems boring now :D

On that topic, I finally finished building my Centurion to Dreadnought conversion:

Weapons - Dual lascannon and old-school missile launcher:

The thing has a lot of of Rogue Trader Era dreadnought DNA in it, as I unironically LOVED those things when they came out. I can objectively see they look goofy now, but man.. what can you do?
Upper body is attached by a magnet and comes off for painting.
Waist is obviously hugely inspired by this the Graven Games Cain conversion
Pistons are from Zinge.

It doesn't look quite as sharp as I wanted it, but I'm calling it done as it's part of a ETL commitment on B&C.

This needs more love because its baller and the best cent conversion around (because you rebuilt all of it)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Are we showing off painting stations? I just moved into a new place and finally have the space to setup my dream painting/nerd station

Its all Ikea. And it has the added bonus of being able to watch my dumb video game streams while i paint!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Ahh, there was enough of your own touches I didn't recognize it. I was on the fence about how it looked until it was finished, (something I fret about when painting) the final result is quite good.

The base is ace, too. Any particular trick to getting grass that tall to stick up, drilled a hole and stuffed the grass in?

They're actually those premade grass tufts from geedubs - in this case, Mordheim Turf. You basically get a thin sheet of plastic with grass tufts of various sizes stuck to it - you just pluck one out, dab a bit of glue on the base, and slap it in there. With tweezers, maybe, if you've got big fingers like mine. They sell them in a couple of different color variations, 'Mordheim Turf' is the 'dead dry grass' one.

Army Painter sells blisters of the stuff, too, in a couple of different colors - there's at least Highland Tuft for dry/dead yellow grass, Marshland Tuft for a murky brown-green, and Grassland Tuft for fresh bright green, if I recall correctly. Oddly I think you actually get more for the money in the GW box. I do know AP sells patches of moss, poison ivy and various flowers with the same idea, though.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Fiddling with a test miniature for Haqqislam to try and find a paint scheme.

Not too sure I'm happy with the green. Tried Thornwood green, with Reikland Fleshwash, then followed the paint chart with mixing in rucksack tan and then menoth white base. Was pretty jarring so I glazed it lightly with thornwood green to tone it down, and then tried argax earthshade to bring out the lines where you couldn't really see edges clearly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I think the problem is with the shading, green and sandy have a very similar shading color with makes them kinda blur together. I'd mix some light grey into the basic green and highlight with that to break it. Or repaint the green, starting from a darker mix of olive+black.

It all looks very good as is, only suffers from the "camo effect" a bit.

Or you may just gently caress it and paint camo shapes on the cloak, Lasiqs have mimetism anyway :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Signal posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. Briefly thought about putting down glass varnish (obviously didn't) but I was wondering if I hadn't let the underlayer dry long enough or something. With the liquid mask being applied over a thin airbrush coat of primer and paint, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Conversely don't paint too thick/varnish on top of the mask or you risk ripping the surrounding paint up when you detach the mask.

If you're using tamiya masking tape its always good practice to reduce the adhesion by sticking and peeling it off your skin first.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Monster w21 Faces posted:

First time painting robes. 6 stage process. Not entirely happy with it but live and learn.

I think this looks great so far. What mini is that by the way? Pretty awesome model!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Kain Swiftblade, Reaper figure.

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.
Thanks for the feed back everyone.

PierreTheMime posted:

Looks good. I'd probably go over a few bits with some lighter highlights to really make it pop but in terms of serviceable work texture I'd say you nailed (pun?) it.

I was thinking about that, but I'm worried that my hand may not be steady enough and I'll just muck it all up. I do think that some light grey highlights would make it look more worn and weathered though.

LordAba posted:

It gives me a woodie. Seriously though, it looks great! If you want a kind of hodge podge look you can use just a straight, light wash on some of the wood sections; browns and greens would look good.

Now that you mention it, it is kinda uniform. A couple different board sections may break up the even ness.

BULBASAUR posted:

How did you do it?

Tell me more about your wood.

It was actually surprisingly easy. I got the idea from a video posted by a craft lady who paints bird houses to look like weathered wood. I was looking all over for tutorials and stuff for painting worn, weathered wood, but her video was the best I could find. Most weren't really applicable at the miniature scale or where for making real wood look weathered. The miniature ones just showed the end product without any type of steps to getting there.

1. Prime white
  2. Apply Nuln Oil or equivalent between boards, along edges and deep scratches or gouges.
  3. Apply Agrax Earthshade or equivalent haphazardly along outer sides of boards. You should still see white primer mostly in the middle.
  4. Apply Athonian Camoshade or equivalent over the entire board.
  5. Look at the finished product and think, "Wow, it actually worked out."

I was actually a bit worried before I put the camoshade on. After the Agrax dried there was such a clear line between it and the white primer that I thought it would be totally obvious and look un natural. Washing the whole thing with the green shade managed to blend it all together though.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Unzip and Attack posted:

I think this looks great so far. What mini is that by the way? Pretty awesome model!

Thank you. It's growing on me.

PantsOptional posted:

Kain Swiftblade, Reaper figure.

Thanks. I didn't actually know that. It was a hand me down gift from a co-worker.

A quick GIS also tells me that everyone seems to have gone for the exact same paint scheme! What are the odds?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Crosspostin' - A few details to clean up here and there - but here we go...

Just a good ol' boy, the General Lufgt of House Hazzard, Badab.

Next up, Herbie the Love Knight.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone have recommendations for models to use as zombies/corpses on scenic basing? Probably half-submerged so the cheaper the better for cutting up and not feeling bad about it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for models to use as zombies/corpses on scenic basing? Probably half-submerged so the cheaper the better for cutting up and not feeling bad about it.

I used Reaper's 77053 Zombies minis for the job. They're pretty samey, but the soft plastic makes it pretty easy to cut them up a bit and reposition them. Cutting out a wedge from an elbow and then gluing the wedge shut can do a lot to change the angle of the limb. Same with knees. Or just cut an arm off entirely and reglue it (though you might need to cover up the shoulder to hide the cut).

When these zombies are released, that should give even more options for cheap, easy-to-modify zombies.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Crosspostin' - A few details to clean up here and there - but here we go...

Just a good ol' boy, the General Lufgt of House Hazzard, Badab.

Next up, Herbie the Love Knight.

Badab rise again on the license plate, but no spoof of the confederate flag in Imperium style? That's the whole thing!

Doesn't have to be exactly the same. Maybe it could be skulls and bars. Or orange and blue hazard stripes on one of shoulder pads, with stars in the blue stripes. Then it still has that part of the scheme without the annoying goon derail of 'zomg, racism'.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

The Wargames Factory zombies are cheap and choppable. How many do you need?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Badab rise again on the license plate, but no spoof of the confederate flag in Imperium style? That's the whole thing!

Ok, I give in... I hope this isn't in bad taste, if so, I can bust out the airbrush one more time today...

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 16, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I think it's just subtle enough to evoke the flag without being too obviously "Here's my redneck slavery flag!"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

The Wargames Factory zombies are cheap and choppable. How many do you need?

Oh probably like, 3 or 4 for larger bases, just making a small nurgle force. Might buy some more later to use as units.

Those look like cool zombies but a bit too clothed I think, thanks for the suggestion though might pick some up for a halloween themed Infinity session.

JackMann posted:

I used Reaper's 77053 Zombies minis for the job. They're pretty samey, but the soft plastic makes it pretty easy to cut them up a bit and reposition them. Cutting out a wedge from an elbow and then gluing the wedge shut can do a lot to change the angle of the limb. Same with knees. Or just cut an arm off entirely and reglue it (though you might need to cover up the shoulder to hide the cut).

When these zombies are released, that should give even more options for cheap, easy-to-modify zombies.

Those should work just fine, thanks.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

My heart really wasn't in this one

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Ok, I give in... I hope this isn't in bad taste, if so, I can bust out the airbrush one more time today...

JackMann posted:

I think it's just subtle enough to evoke the flag without being too obviously "Here's my redneck slavery flag!"

Yes. Excellent choice, and well done.

Thank you for letting me talk you into it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Yes. Excellent choice, and well done.

Thank you for letting me talk you into it.

No, thank you. It improved the homage tenfold. As soon as I started applying the transfers, I was like, "wow, this looks so much better."

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

I have those zombies in hand right now from Bones 2, so even though they're not officially released yet, you might be able to source them from people chopping up and selling their sets....

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Did some more work on the Lasiq.

Tried to do a bit more to bring out the lines. Looking at the picture, I think I need to do more.

Metal seemed to come out decently enough.

On one hand the color scheme seems to all be blending together, on the other hand the color scheme seems destine to do so. It is strange, as you'd think the green and the tan would break things up, but my eye just hits it and slides around.

The face mask just didn't work at all. I've got no idea what to do for the face mask, which is a problem because tons of Haqq troops have those face masks.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

My heart really wasn't in this one

What's wrong with that? The greys are nice and subtle, and that red really pops. I like it.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Tuxedo Jack posted:

"These Colours Dont Run" in Latin? 10/10

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Continuing the long journey through a giant box of Space Wolves...

Starting in on a million Dreadnoughts now.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Cyclomatic posted:

Did some more work on the Lasiq.

Tried to do a bit more to bring out the lines. Looking at the picture, I think I need to do more.

Metal seemed to come out decently enough.

On one hand the color scheme seems to all be blending together, on the other hand the color scheme seems destine to do so. It is strange, as you'd think the green and the tan would break things up, but my eye just hits it and slides around.

The face mask just didn't work at all. I've got no idea what to do for the face mask, which is a problem because tons of Haqq troops have those face masks.

I reckon with another layer of highlight or two on the tan you could make enough of a difference in tone to make it pop. If you get up to a bone colour on the edge of some of those folds it should help with the contrast a lot.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

PierreTheMime posted:

Continuing the long journey through a giant box of Space Wolves...

Starting in on a million Dreadnoughts now.

I love these. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Begun some Pyroclasts... took me bloody ages to do the body and I might work on the skin cloak, but I'm fairly happy for now.