Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fat Samurai posted:

You start with this. This thread is full of Finn memes. Don't go there if you're a dirty Finn.

Then move on to this.

And end up here.

By the way, I'm very happy that all of this is going on right now in SA.

Where does campaign for North Africa fit in all that? I'd like to say my friends and I can start a weekly game now and maybe finish a game in ~10 years if the rumors are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

Where does campaign for North Africa fit in all that? I'd like to say my friends and I can start a weekly game now and maybe finish a game in ~10 years if the rumors are true.
It doesn't. CNA is an anomaly. Are you gonna be using the full 5 player per side rules? :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

It doesn't. CNA is an anomaly. Are you gonna be using the full 5 player per side rules? :v:

We want to cuz we still have most of our old high school gang here and some college friends but I'm afraid we might all move to different parts of the country before we can finish. :ohdear:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Keep in mind that the game is 99% spreadsheets and record keeping.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
CNA is not a game, it's a piece of installation art shaped as one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I've heard. Idk if we can ironically un ironically enjoy a game for that long. Maybe we can all become actuaries in the meantime.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Please don't play Campaign for North Africa unironically

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I've heard. Idk if we can ironically un ironically enjoy a game for that long. Maybe we can all become actuaries in the meantime.

I'm an actuary and I was just thinking about the feasibility of running an office pbem of CNA.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm starting to get tired of my phone app menu being full of scoring apps.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have an app folder just full of scoring apps so I know what you mean.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm an actuary and I was just thinking about the feasibility of running an office pbem of CNA.

My (assistant) dean keeps wanting me to become an actuary. Maybe this is a sign.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

All in all, I've been enjoying Agricola more than I thought I would. It's a bit fiddly, with all that cart reloading, and it feels a bit slow and overlong, but much less so than I expected. I find it surprisingly satisfying to play, both a challenging puzzle and a sedate country slice of life.

If you're describing Agricola as sedate you need to play it a little more. That game generates more howls of anguish than Eclipse, TtA and Risk Legacy combined. I've seen people accept the neutron bombing of their homeworld with equanimity but holy poo poo dude, if you touch that sheep...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

"Hey Bill, why did you take those sheep, my family is starving! Why...why are you just letting them go free? What the hell is wrong with you, Bill!"

The village in my games of Agricola is weird.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You don't need to play 18OE to play 18xx. There's plenty of 18xx's out there that don't take 12 hours to play. My current fav is 1862, which takes about four hours with experienced players. I want to play 1817 and 1831 someday, but I haven't run across them yet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

1817 is really good and probably one of my favourite 18xx: it uses a really interesting merger system where you can merge companies to make them larger, but if you do they take up more share slots (so a non-merged company has shares that have 50% of the company etc): it works really well and unfortunately i've only got to play it a couple of times.

My favourite 18XXs include 18MEX, 1824, 1870 and (weirdly) 1853. 1856 is alright as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I really want to play 18MEX as well, I've heard both good and bad about it. I didn't know about '24, I'll look it up, thanks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

1824 looks difficult on the surface but it isn't really. There's not much scope for doing market manipulation but it can be cut-throat with a lot of players. I had to get my copy directly from the designer though and I don't think the game is in print at the moment.

The basis of it is that you have have loads of companies at the start that form other companies later on and there are like 4 different types of railways to run. The game also has two different types of trains you can buy. It's not a true beginner game but is really kind of simple once you understand how everything interlocks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, it looks like it is sold out. By the by, most of the O&O 18XXs are pretty good. I like 1824 myself (and it has become one of the 18XXs I've played the most), I like 1844 Switzerland (but many people don't). 1848 Australia is good but it has a few flaws and 1880 China is simply stellar (and one game i like that i forgot, actually). If you can get a copy of 1880 China I would recommend it a lot (Orvin likes it as well).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

"Hey Bill, why did you take those sheep, my family is starving! Why...why are you just letting them go free? What the hell is wrong with you, Bill!"

My wife hates it when I take a bunch of sheep that I can't hold, then just let them roam free. Like nothing else. To the extent where I would rather make a knowingly suboptimal play.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If you're describing Agricola as sedate you need to play it a little more. That game generates more howls of anguish than Eclipse, TtA and Risk Legacy combined. I've seen people accept the neutron bombing of their homeworld with equanimity but holy poo poo dude, if you touch that sheep...

It's certainly cutthroat, but the game also plays out fairly slowly (with more than two) for what it is, so it's a disaster in slow motion.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

This is a good example of the theme just not working out: If you let sheep go in a real village, you can bet your rear end that they would just stand around until someone else lured them into a fold.

You guys should write a "beginners guide to 18xx" effortpost somewhere, preferably in the OP. I'd love to try one at some point, but it does seem daunting. Especially since the titles are no help at all in figuring out which is the merely complicated one and which kills newbies dead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I did, but the thread died. Just not enough interest.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I did, but the thread died. Just not enough interest.

Part of the problem is that many of the 'good' games are hard to get and out of print, which exacerbates the problem of getting new players. 1830 is still a good start however. Just keep in mind that while technically a Euro, 1830 is not typical in the genre. It takes a long time, and you absolutely must commit to playing it many times to get the actual experience. It also doesn't play well at lower player counts, four is really the minimum.

If it came out today, I probably would get it, play it a couple of times, and then sell it, because my group is not good at getting the same game to the table more than four or five times. However, it came out at a time when the Euro landscape in the US was basically a desert. I snapped it up, and we played it every weekend for at least 2 years. I know that game better than I know my hand just about. So I developed a deep appreciation of the mechanics and the interaction involved, I was quite fortunate.

Hoping to play this Sunday, I'll have a trip report if it happens.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I played Splendor finally (Prestige actually) and I totally get now what someone said about this being basically the baseline for a decent game. Sure it's an ok game but I really don't get where all the hype it's gotten and still gets has come from. Sure it's simple and light but it's just so... blah. Maybe it needs the poker chips...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

EBag posted:

I played Splendor finally (Prestige actually) and I totally get now what someone said about this being basically the baseline for a decent game. Sure it's an ok game but I really don't get where all the hype it's gotten and still gets has come from. Sure it's simple and light but it's just so... blah. Maybe it needs the poker chips...

It needs the poker chips. The only thing Splendor really has going for it is component quality.

(I'm so happy people remember I said that)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The poker chips are so close to being actually good components. They're a good size and weight, but then they have a dumb sticker pasted on instead of an engraving or other good design.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I've seen people accept the neutron bombing of their homeworld with equanimity but holy poo poo dude, if you touch that sheep...

*coughs politely*

Had a pretty sedate evening at the gaming club. Played one round of Stuff and Nonsense to start with, which was a nice little set collection game where each card is a goofy person, item, event or fact of knowledge. Each card is appropriate to one or more locations (like Mount Everest, or Africa) and when you have enough cards with symbols that match the location you want, you cash them in, spin a little story involving the cards you've played and hey, points. In absolute stereotypical "This is my only social interaction time each week." boardgamer fashion, the first question asked after rules explanation was "Do I have to make up a story or can I just play the cards?" Come on guys, all you have to do is put them in some logical order and read the text on the cards if you can't think of anything!

Another table borrowed my copy of Scoville which went down very well, and for the second time in a week I was able to get Concordia to the table. With five of us playing the board filled up quickly, and after a somewhat aimless early game I geared my card buying towards the Mars (2 points per colonist) and Mercury (2 points per resource) cards. I lacked in other areas though and we ended with a rather unusual scoreline of 130 for first, 100 for second then the remaining three of us all tied on 93.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any good hidden-role games for ten year olds? My coworker played werewolf with his kids and their friends, and made a little girl cry by claiming her role (seer).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any good hidden-role games for ten year olds? My coworker played werewolf with his kids and their friends, and made a little girl cry by claiming her role (seer).

One Night Werewolf is probably the lowest barrier of entry hidden role game I can think of that isn't completely stupid like "are you the traitor", but uh, it doesn't solve that particular issue.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

PerniciousKnid posted:

does Spooky Stairs count as a hidden role game?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Spyfall of course, if you can convince your kids to not give away stuff so easily.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Bang! Dice, maybe.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fake artist goes to New York? You'd just have to be sure to use words they know.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

BonHair posted:

This is a good example of the theme just not working out: If you let sheep go in a real village, you can bet your rear end that they would just stand around until someone else lured them into a fold.

You don't just leave them in the village, you take them out to the hills and set them free like an 1800s eco-terrorist. They are quickly eaten by wolves but who cares, you did your duty.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was a bit disappointed after seeing myself up for a 50/50 shoot at being first to family growth on round 6, but growth came out at round 7, oops. The other players hogged the start player and growth spaces so I was the last to grow, and I worried that I would be hurt in terms of both efficiency and real-life boredom.

The fixed family growth timing is one of the few things I like more about Caverna. The "hope FG appears when its good for you" minigame in Agricola is pretty silly.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I took my first Begging Cards in Agricola last night.

THE SHAME :negative:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Durendal posted:

It's not a big deal if you have that one occupation which negates two begging cards. :v:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
What are some of The Big Games to look for at Gencon this year? I've got my eye on Mottainai, Broom Service and Codenames so far but haven't seen anything else on the master list that I've heard any buzz about.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Here is my list of the top of my head:

-The game of thrones lcg (I'm in the tournament so my copy is secure but I think other copies will go fast)
- Legendary Encounters predator version.
- Codenames
- Broom Service
- English version of Mysterium
- Warhammer conquest Tyranids expansion
- Whatever LotR lcg things are there

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Durendal posted:

On this topic, I often refuse to feed my people in T'zolkin: That Board Game with the Gears. It's so much more efficient to do other stuff than get food most of the time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Got La Granja in earlier this week and planning on playing it this weekend. Played a solo game this evening, and holy poo poo do I like the 4-uses per card thing. The various card abilities seem like a lot of fun, the unlockable upgrades make sure that there isn't an optimal path through the game, and the dice choosing mechanic seems like a lot of fun. Definitely looking forward to playing against actual players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

For the people who have played A Fake Artist Goes to New York, how do you balance it? The fake artist was caught in every game, and was very rarely able to guess the drawing by the end. It's a funny little game, but I really don't get why people have been saying it's better than Spyfall. At least in Spyfall, you only have a limited number of options.