Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GFBeach posted:

At the points where you're level-locked and he's the NPC to continue the MSQ, I just pictured him standing there for a while occasionally swatting at flies or flicking off a piece of gore. Once the Eye nearly backfired when he used it to break down the forcefield around Azys Lla, you'd think he'dve taken the first opportunity between then and the final battle to clean himself up, or at the very least avoid handling the second, fully-powered eye... but no, Chekov's Gun had been revealed, so they had to use it. I just wasn't expecting them to do it quite so soon.

I'm also a little bothered by the fact that Nidhogg's resurrection pretty much invalidates a lot of the progress you'd made in HW towards ending the Dragonsong War: Ishgard's defenses are as battered as they were before the events of HW, their organizational structure is arguably worse off in the short-term with the Church gone (though that means a lasting peace with the dragons is at least a possibility, and they've also rejoined the Eorzean Alliance which is a pretty big deal), and while the dragons are taking a temporary break, they're still out there and their general is now stronger than ever with both his eyes reclaimed. Oh well! v:shobon:v

He may be stronger, but you have dragons on your side now including his daddy.

Also Estinian's armor was probably stained by the blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

These are really cool has anyone seen dps/heal versions?

http://i.imgur.com/smNx1ZX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PEnLMF9.jpg

DPS version: do your rotation, use your ogcds on cooldown.
Heal version: make hp bars go up. if hp bars are already up, make red hp bars go down.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm a terrible blm but I keep doing like 45-50% of damage in dungeons right up to the level 60 ones. Are pubbies this bad or are blms OP.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I like how the red square on the aggro chart actually blinks based on how solid your threat lead is but it's such a loving awful indicator that no one ever uses or notices it

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

ghostinmyshell posted:

These are really cool has anyone seen dps/heal versions?

http://i.imgur.com/smNx1ZX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PEnLMF9.jpg

This is great, especially for the more dense/stupid among us (it's me i'm the idiot). Since I'm finally going to have enough time to actually play this stupid game, I'm sure I'll hit a point where I'll start thinking that I'm having a bit TOO much fun and when my faith in humanity starts getting a bit too high so maybe it's time to solo queue for dungeons as a tank! And this will be my guide to the inevitable slide towards quitting the game!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope SE introduces an Ascian with a heavy Russian accent (In case you don't get the reference) :haw:

EDIT: I ran into the Odin FATE a couple of days ago. Are there any other FATEs like that?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Behemoth in Coerthas Central Highlands

Coeurlregina (kinda) in Coerthas Western Highlands (Heavensward content)

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

queeb posted:

I'm a terrible blm but I keep doing like 45-50% of damage in dungeons right up to the level 60 ones. Are pubbies this bad or are blms OP.

Pubbies are bad sure but you should see some level 60 pub BLM's.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Rei_ posted:

I like how the red square on the aggro chart actually blinks based on how solid your threat lead is but it's such a loving awful indicator that no one ever uses or notices it

What.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Don't worry about it. Just use ACT and you can have an actual threat meter with numbers. It's pretty nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Third Party Tools are against the terms of the EULA.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Speaking of third party tools, can someone better at them than me get the sound effect from the Regal Mail Box? It's not in the ringtones in the fankit on the site.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Speaking of third party tools, can someone better at them than me get the sound effect from the Regal Mail Box? It's not in the ringtones in the fankit on the site.

I'll take a look when I'm home in case someone doesn't beat me to it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rei_ posted:

the square blinks
you can click on aetherytes on the map to teleport to them
you can be any class when turning in crafting leves/GC items
you can do ixal dailies as any class and then change to the class you want the exp for before turning them in
you can change class freely while in a duty finder queue, just have to change back before accepting a popped queue
you can check prices of individual items while selling on your retainer rather than having to look at the market board directly

there are probably a million others, these are just a few things it took me way too long to realize were possible (because I am dumb and bad)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've never noticed the enmity square blinking. Nothing else on the list is surprising, but the blink is new. I'll have to check it out.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Whizbang posted:

I would like this as well. Need a new ringtone.

Jahuran
Jul 9, 2001
On the topic of crafting:

Hold off on melding any of your crafting gear at 60 (chimerical and serpentskin stuff) its not necessary at all to craft the masterbook III recipes. When crafting the green items make sure to use HQ materials since good and excellent conditions are very rare. Any other recipes you should be able to craft with NQ mats with your regular 4 star rotations.
I think melding the accessories is fine since these rarely get updated. Before HW everyone was still on their aetheryte rings and mosshorn earrings. I expect crafters to be using hallowed wooden accessories for a while.

My speculation is that the red scripts that they're going to introduce is either going to get us new "AF" gear for each job or allow us to purchase materials that we can use to craft the new "AF" gear both HQ and NQ versions which will be meldable like the first set of AF. What I do wonder if is whether or not they will allow us to upgrade our Lucis tools again.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Clicking on the map to teleport was something I heavily abused for things like crafting leve turnins, so seeing the thread freak out about it a week ago was pretty funny.

On the subject of crafting, could I get some tips on my crafting rotation? It's been working out for me so far, but with the 35/70 Durability crafts I'm starting to see a lot less HQ come through.

My general process is opening with Comfort Zone/IQ/Manipulation, pushing progress with CSII until the next one would finish the craft, and then working on quality with SHII, WN and Hasties, popping in a Precise Touch if Good or Excellent are up. When it's getting close to the end, I'll try an Innovative Touch to get the buff, then do GS+Byregot's and finish the craft.

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Just one thought, though: As metal as it was, one would have thought that Estinine would have eventually had his armor hosed down or something. After I while, it stopped being METAL and more "Wouldn't the Nidhogg jiblets go bad eventually?"

I was under the assumption that Nidhogg's blood was absorbed/bound to the armour somehow. Drachen mail is forged in dragon blood, so there was possibly something going on there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jahuran posted:

Any other recipes you should be able to craft with NQ mats with your regular 4 star rotations.

I'm curious, I hear things like this a lot but I pretty much stopped 2.0 crafting at the 2-star level. What exactly is a "4 star rotation"?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

And I just completed the MSQ. Really enjoyed it even if some of the level road blocks are aggravating, and they have a lot to play with for the upcoming patch storylines.

Just one thought, though: As metal as it was, one would have thought that Estinine would have eventually had his armor hosed down or something. After I while, it stopped being METAL and more "Wouldn't the Nidhogg jiblets go bad eventually?"

One question: Do they change anything in the 1-50 or patch storylines if you start off as an Au Ra?

It's a metaphor for how he's consumed with anger and rage and unable to let go and etc etc etc. And IIRC it's implied that the blood-soaked armor is part of why Nidhogg was able to turn him from dragoon into dragon.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think I must be the only person who didn't realize there was a teleport menu at first. I only teleported by map clicking for a while.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
It took me until 50ish to realise the atheryte crystals in major cities are also connected to their smaller networks. :v:

And Robzilla blew my head wide open when he told me at roughly level 30 that mobs aggro you based upon seeing you, so you can sneak around their backs. I just assumed their threat ranges were having some issues with EU lag or something. :suicide:

Jahuran
Jul 9, 2001

Moldy Taxes posted:

Clicking on the map to teleport was something I heavily abused for things like crafting leve turnins, so seeing the thread freak out about it a week ago was pretty funny.

On the subject of crafting, could I get some tips on my crafting rotation? It's been working out for me so far, but with the 35/70 Durability crafts I'm starting to see a lot less HQ come through.

My general process is opening with Comfort Zone/IQ/Manipulation, pushing progress with CSII until the next one would finish the craft, and then working on quality with SHII, WN and Hasties, popping in a Precise Touch if Good or Excellent are up. When it's getting close to the end, I'll try an Innovative Touch to get the buff, then do GS+Byregot's and finish the craft.

I use this rotation on my lvl60 crafters.

On D35 synths I usually use the following rotation:

For an Aurum Regis Nugget:

• Comfort Zone (D35)
  • Inner Quiet (D35)
  • Carefull Synthesis II (Once so I can finish it off with 1 hit later on this does require you to hit for at least 216 progress) (D25)
  • Steady Hand II (D25)
  • Hasty Touch (D15)
  • Manipulation
  • Hasty Touch (D15)
  • Hasty Touch (D15)
  • Hasty Touch (D15)
  • Manipulation rinse and repeat
  • When at least 7-8 stacks Steady Hand II+Greater Strides+Innovation+Byregot's Blessing
  • Finish with Carefull Synthesis II

Any good or excellent I use tricks of the trade on. When my comfort zone drops I check my CP if its well above 200 and I have at least 4 stacks of Inner Quiet I reapply it. If below I'd rather have the security of hitting that manipulation again.

Jahuran
Jul 9, 2001

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm curious, I hear things like this a lot but I pretty much stopped 2.0 crafting at the 2-star level. What exactly is a "4 star rotation"?

Basically hasty touch spam to get that IQ stacked for Byregots with your regular Manipulation or Master's Mend II for durability resets. However most 4 Star rotations start off with filling progress so you can finish the synth with a single Carefull Synthesis II. You do the same for the current recipes because they often require you to fill like 900+ progress.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Magil Zeal posted:

4* is basically PbP, RS until almost complete, Hasty Touch spam, then Byregot's finisher and CS2 until done. Keep CZ up at all times, ToT every good proc.

With 50+ skills you can swap out the first PBP with Muscle Memory and use precise touch on good/excellent procs if you have the cp to spare.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Magil Zeal posted:

The biggest difference between a 4star synth and everything else was that difficulty got high enough to make using Rapid Synthesis viable to cut 1-2 progress actions off the craft. Because everything 51+ has a crapton of difficulty on it, it's still usually the best option for building progress.

My current crafting rotation frontloads progress through Muscle Memory and RS until I am 1-2 uses of CSII away from finishing, then build IQ stacks using hasty touch and precise touch, hopefully until I have 9+ IQ stacks for the Byregot finisher.

That's for 70dur, mind. A 35dur synth is basically just the RNG laughing at you while flipping both birds, at least until you have CP melds on the current best gear so that you can start replacing hasty touches, and that takes millions of gil.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jahuran posted:

Basically hasty touch spam to get that IQ stacked for Byregots with your regular Manipulation or Master's Mend II for durability resets. However most 4 Star rotations start off with filling progress so you can finish the synth with a single Carefull Synthesis II. You do the same for the current recipes because they often require you to fill like 900+ progress.

All right, well that's what I've been doing anyway so I guess I had it right to begin with. Though Precise Touch is also used if there are good procs and I'm not totally CP-starved.

bonewitch posted:

4* is basically PbP, RS until almost complete, Hasty Touch spam, then Byregot's finisher and CS2 until done. Keep CZ up at all times, ToT every good proc.

With 50+ skills you can swap out the first PBP with Muscle Memory and use precise touch on good/excellent procs if you have the cp to spare.

I hear a lot of people recommending Muscle Memory, but personally I've been using Maker's Mark + Flawless Synthesis instead (except for Blacksmith and Armorsmith which don't have enough cross-class skill slots for me to use it, though it would work out if I replaced WN which I am considering). It seems to work a lot better for me, I just work out how many successes I need to save a Careful Synthesis II (or two) and make sure I get that many, and then if I get a good proc I can pop Tricks to make it effectively free. It has so far always worked out about the same or better, but costs zero durability rather than ten, and even without a proc, using 20 CP to save 10 durability is a good trade.

Also, is Rapid Synthesis really worth it nowadays with Name of X + Brand of X being just as or more efficient and having a higher success rate? I'm genuinely curious on these points here, as I've been trying a lot of different things and this is what I've come to.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Third Party Tools are against the terms of the EULA.

Only if you get caught. Don't be scared goons.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there some quick and dirty math I can use to figure out how much x Crafting skill will progress on a y Difficulty craft?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I hear a lot of people recommending Muscle Memory, but personally I've been using Maker's Mark + Flawless Synthesis instead (except for Blacksmith and Armorsmith which don't have enough cross-class skill slots for me to use it, though it would work out if I replaced WN which I am considering). It seems to work a lot better for me, I just work out how many successes I need to save a Careful Synthesis II (or two) and make sure I get that many, and then if I get a good proc I can pop Tricks to make it effectively free. It has so far always worked out about the same or better, but costs zero durability rather than ten, and even without a proc, using 20 CP to save 10 durability is a good trade.

Also, is Rapid Synthesis really worth it nowadays with Name of X + Brand of X being just as or more efficient and having a higher success rate? I'm genuinely curious on these points here, as I've been trying a lot of different things and this is what I've come to.
Maker's Mark + Flawless Synthesis is 2 cc slots. Name + brand only works on single crystal type synths from what I understand.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Algid posted:

Maker's Mark + Flawless Synthesis is 2 cc slots. Name + brand only works on single crystal type synths from what I understand.

Yes to the first part, no to the second. Name + brand works on anything and starts out at what seems to be ~300% efficiency at 0 progress, scaling down as the progress bar fills.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Don't even bother looking at it, all you know is if you squint real hard one light is blinking different than the others

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm still doing the old rotation, modified to be faster since the new recipes are all much easier than old 3/4*.

Open with CZ/IQ
Find out which sequence of Progress abilities is optimal. The best case scenario for 70 Dur is a successful CZ,IQ - SHII, PbP, RS, HT,HT, HT, CSII as it leaves you with 10 Dur without wasting CSII on a SHII or any SHII turn with a MM.
Do a MM2
SHII and HT until you have enough CP to fill the blanks with guaranteed BTS. The thresholds are:

(Durability - CP needed for Ingenuity II/No Ingenuity II)
70 - 218/186
60 - 200/168
50 - 182/150
40 - 164/132
30 - 146/114
20 - 128/96

Do SH, GS, Inno, IGII, BB, or SH, GS, Inno and Observe to bait for a proc if you don't have enough for IGII.
If you need two or more CSII, stop at 30 and use CSII to bait for a proc between SH and GS if you have Ingenuity II or between GS and IQ if you don't.

Otherwise do the good old HT spam, CZ on cooldown and try to append an extra MM/WN/Manipulation on top of the first MM2. I was HQing level 59 recipes at level 54 with all NQ mats and level 50 gear doing that.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Moldy Taxes posted:

I made this craft for 35 DUR and it seems pretty good for recipies that don't use ingenuity. It'll get you 7HTs on a craft requiring 3 CSIIs, 8HT on 2 CSII, and 9HT on 1 CSII (just swap out CSIIs for hasty touches).
code:
/ac "Comfort Zone" <wait.2>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation" <wait.2>
/ac "Careful Synthesis II" <wait.3>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>

/ac "Steady Hand" <wait.2>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
Uses 332CP, so you could eat some food and throw innovation in there or something.

I still haven't made anything good for 75/80 dur crafts :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rei_ posted:

Don't even bother looking at it, all you know is if you squint real hard one light is blinking different than the others
I didn't even know they were blinking. Which goes to show how well this alleged mechanic works, if it exists.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

He may be stronger, but you have dragons on your side now including his daddy.

Also Estinian's armor was probably stained by the blood.

I recall him sayng something to the effect of him having to get new armour when it's all over in a cutscene.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Zereth posted:

I didn't even know they were blinking. Which goes to show how well this alleged mechanic works, if it exists.

I had a dude flip out at me on another forum because I suggested that tanks should tab-target between multiple enemies, he said that was a waste of time and only bad tanks do it because the game has a built-in mechanic for letting you know that.

This same idiot also said tomahawks were a waste of a GCD or something and your best way to pull mobs was to just run at them and overpower. Which is like :eyepop:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, people are super into crafting. I kind of get it though. I only got to CUL 37 recently and switching to leveling Weaver, since that's the order I've been told. However, I'm halfway through Ixali lvl 6 so I'm not sure (doubtful) that I'll continue with crafting after I've got my wolf. Now that I've finally got Steady Touch II I'm definitely enjoying the experience a lot more. It's nice to not -always- get streams of failed Hasty Touches.

I'm up to around 167 now, still finishing upgrading my Law gear while I try Alex. It kills me but I was only able to get drops on the first three floors of Alex last week. I only got to try Burden three or four times but 20% on Manipulator was the closest we ever got, usually it wasn't even that. I never got to do any of the coils past the first Binding Coil and I never did any Ex primals besides the main three, so it's nice to experience the challenging end-game content with everyone, but man I just want to quit wiping and get the gear already. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, people seriously did not know you can teleport from the map? :psyduck:

I mean I guess it is not obvious, but I have been doing it for so long that I can't imagine not doing it like that.

• Locked thread