Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

precision posted:

Season 7 is so bad, they bring back one of the best characters, for a plot that literally invalidates everything that happened to her (and thus, every reason the audience liked her) from seasons 1 and 2. Just dogshite.

I have to say, nothing on Skins made me laugh harder than the unintentional comedy of Effy learning investment banking via a dramatic Rocky-esque montage (possibly set to dubstep? It's been a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

When's The Guest gonna pop up on Netlix? Next week?

The 25th.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Burn Notice is a really fun show to watch, just don't watch a bunch at once, since it's pretty formulaic. However it does have Bruce Campbell just being awesome the entire time.

The last season is a decent uptick in quality, I think it suffered from constantly being almost canceled so they keep wrapping things up and then it gets renewed and each season begins with "HERE WE GO AGAIN! There's another secret spy organization behind the secret spy organization we killed last week".

I also like how there's no real bones about not killing the bad guys. They aren't Punisher levels of killing, but they kill the bad guys when necessary.

It has Garret Dillahunt as a mentally unstable parallel to Michael, and he's incredible.

Another thing I like about it (as you can tell I really like Burn Notice) is the cameos by minor TV character actors. I'm a huge fan of those guys, and it's nice to see them pop up and get killed. I know it's pretty common for cable shows to have these guest stars, but I love it when like the girl from Veronica Mars shows up and it's like "Oh, its her!"

There are tons of great cameos throughout and it is fun seeing people play great characters. Burt Reynolds! :swoon:

I will disagree with you on Garret Dillahunt though. I found his performance to be pretty lackluster and I just don't think he can hack it on the same stage as Jeffrey Donovan. His character is the perfect excuse to turn poo poo up to 11, and he doesn't come close to the kind of frenetic psychoticness that character deserves.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

There are tons of great cameos throughout and it is fun seeing people play great characters. Burt Reynolds! :swoon:

I will disagree with you on Garret Dillahunt though. I found his performance to be pretty lackluster and I just don't think he can hack it on the same stage as Jeffrey Donovan. His character is the perfect excuse to turn poo poo up to 11, and he doesn't come close to the kind of frenetic psychoticness that character deserves.

My favorite cameo is the dad from Fraiser. Him showing up was basically like a lost episode of Fraiser. He was a cop on that show too, right? So it's plausible that it's all connected.

I think that Simon was meant to be in the show a lot more, they set him up like he'd be a major foil for Michael, but then I think he got cast in Raising Hope (worth a watch too) and then they had to drop him.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Burn Notice is a fun, if formulaic, show with a pretty good cast, Gabriel Anwar aside. And yes, it does have a lot of fun bit parts. I wish they had given Robert Patrick more to do. It's the kind of show where creating a fake missionary to make the villain of the week look insane doesn't feel out of place.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Watched Creep last night. If you like Mark Duplass and want to see him try a different role than his usual it's not bad. The ending in particular is well done.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Burn Notice is a fun, if formulaic, show with a pretty good cast, Gabriel Anwar aside. And yes, it does have a lot of fun bit parts. I wish they had given Robert Patrick more to do. It's the kind of show where creating a fake missionary to make the villain of the week look insane doesn't feel out of place.

I really love the casual voiceover work where Michael tells you how to properly do spy things that sort of start out passe but then escalate into like nuggets of lunacy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I really love the casual voiceover work where Michael tells you how to properly do spy things that sort of start out passe but then escalate into like nuggets of lunacy.

The show could never top Michael intercepting a radio signal by fashioning a receiver out of a Pringles cans and a coat hanger.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

My favorite cameo is the dad from Fraiser. Him showing up was basically like a lost episode of Fraiser. He was a cop on that show too, right? So it's plausible that it's all connected.

I think that Simon was meant to be in the show a lot more, they set him up like he'd be a major foil for Michael, but then I think he got cast in Raising Hope (worth a watch too) and then they had to drop him.

I watched Raising Hope first and I loved Dillahunt there. That's probably why I had such high hopes for him as Simon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Ahaha. I finally gave up on this coming to streaming so I rented it on amazon last night. It figures it's about to go Netflix.

Really entertaining movie.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Much like Changeling, Burn Notice is worthwhile just for listening to Jeffrey Donovan's fake accents.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Not related to streaming, but I just got Suspiria on DVD from Netflix, and the video quality is atrocious. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to aspect ratios, but it's both full screen and letterboxed, resulting in black bars on all sides of the image on my 16:9 TV. It also features bad deinterlacing, so everything's really jagged. I was excited because I'd always heard Suspiria was a gorgeous movie, but this copy looks like it was ripped from a video tape.

I assume Netflix only stocks one version of each title, so sending it back and hoping for a better copy would be pointless, right?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Lester Shy posted:

Not related to streaming, but I just got Suspiria on DVD from Netflix, and the video quality is atrocious. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to aspect ratios, but it's both full screen and letterboxed, resulting in black bars on all sides of the image on my 16:9 TV. It also features bad deinterlacing, so everything's really jagged. I was excited because I'd always heard Suspiria was a gorgeous movie, but this copy looks like it was ripped from a video tape.

I assume Netflix only stocks one version of each title, so sending it back and hoping for a better copy would be pointless, right?

Isn't there a way to complain about the quality of something directly to netflix? If you have a way to take screenshots, like put the DVD in your laptop or something, then you might be able to at least prevent someone else from getting a poo poo version.

It sounds like you got a DVD from like 1999 or something, that's a huge bummer.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Basebf555 posted:

It's up already in the UK if you're impatient

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Accident Underwater posted:

Much like Changeling, Burn Notice is worthwhile just for listening to Jeffrey Donovan's fake accents.

The pilot has Fiona with an amazing Irish accent. I think it's her natural accent, but man it's out there. She makes a quip about it in the first episode and goes to regular english.

Related, is there a show like Burn Notice I can watch with wifey? Something light hearted with good guys blowing up cars to get bad guys, nothing to heavy handed or CSI proceedural like. We are watching Chuck now (on Season 3) and maaaaaaan that show is Stupid with a capital S.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The pilot has Fiona with an amazing Irish accent. I think it's her natural accent, but man it's out there. She makes a quip about it in the first episode and goes to regular english.

Related, is there a show like Burn Notice I can watch with wifey? Something light hearted with good guys blowing up cars to get bad guys, nothing to heavy handed or CSI proceedural like. We are watching Chuck now (on Season 3) and maaaaaaan that show is Stupid with a capital S.

Supernatural.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannibal season 1 and 2 on Prime if you have it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Have you watched "The Good Guys"? (Also made by Matt Nix). It's a buddy cop comedy show with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks playing detectives who work for the Dallas PD in the property crimes division. Kind of a bummer it only lasted 1season (on FOX), when I think it could have really done well, or at least better on USA.

It had a lot of heart, and Bradley Whitford pretty much knocks it out of the park all the time, and if you're in to BN there is no doubt you'd like this show.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Parachute posted:

Have you watched "The Good Guys"? (Also made by Matt Nix). It's a buddy cop comedy show with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks playing detectives who work for the Dallas PD in the property crimes division. Kind of a bummer it only lasted 1season (on FOX), when I think it could have really done well, or at least better on USA.

It had a lot of heart, and Bradley Whitford pretty much knocks it out of the park all the time, and if you're in to BN there is no doubt you'd like this show.

I have watched this, yes.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hannibal season 1 and 2 on Prime if you have it.

Hey thanks! Wifey will love that show!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cat doter posted:

Isn't there a way to complain about the quality of something directly to netflix? If you have a way to take screenshots, like put the DVD in your laptop or something, then you might be able to at least prevent someone else from getting a poo poo version.

It sounds like you got a DVD from like 1999 or something, that's a huge bummer.

The funny thing is, I remember getting burned by this exact same thing, and googling the company and it turned out their whole thing was making lovely cheapo DVDs of Argento movies for Netflix. It was surreal.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Leverage. It even has the same format of team of comically exceptional people take individual cases with a season long back arc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr. Maltose posted:

Leverage. It even has the same format of team of comically exceptional people take individual cases with a season long back arc.

That has been No 1 on my Netflix queue for months now. I'll give it a go.

Does Chuck get any better? S1 and S2 were ok, but man S3 is just terrible. Superman dropping by hasn't helped much either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That has been No 1 on my Netflix queue for months now. I'll give it a go.

Does Chuck get any better? S1 and S2 were ok, but man S3 is just terrible. Superman dropping by hasn't helped much either.

If you dislike season 3 because the show had devolved into self-parody and fanservice, by all means stop watching, because it actually gets worse. Much worse.

They make Jeffster spies. I think that's all I need to say.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I pimp this show at every opportunity, but watch Terriers (on Netflix). Please watch Terriers. One of the best buddy private detective shows ever with great chemistry between the leads and although it's only one season, it gets wrapped up alright.

Eh, I re-read your post. There aren't any explosions or anything like that but hot drat it's just a fun buddy drama.

Yes I am bitter as gently caress that it only got one season.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 15, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Related, is there a show like Burn Notice I can watch with wifey? Something light hearted with good guys blowing up cars to get bad guys, nothing to heavy handed or CSI proceedural like.

I haven't seen Burn Notice but have you watched Prison Break? It's fun popcorn TV with wrongfully imprisoned good guys. The way you wrote your question made me think of it, I could be way off. It's cheesy at times but not like Chuck.

You could also try Life, about a wrongly imprisoned cop who gets his conviction overturned after 12 years and goes back to the force in spite of a huge multimillion dollar settlement from the city.

pahuyuth posted:

Yes I am bitter as gently caress that it only got one season.

You and me both. I just finished another re-watch with my daughter, and turned a friend on to it last weekend.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The best thing about Burn Notice is that Michael Westen isn't a good guy. Pay attention in the first episode, he caps two guys after he already knocked them out. His whole past is full of blood and guts. It's only once he's burned and on American soil that he starts acting like he gives a poo poo about human life. Dude is a stone cold *insert whatever pop-psychiatry BS that is analogous to psychopath here*. That's why he loved the job so much, it gave him license to do all the hosed up poo poo his little heart desires.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

weekly font posted:

Supernatural.

Agreeing with this 100%. I don't know why the viewership skews so heavily towards women but it's cool to have a violent, bloody genre show that your ladyfriends will enjoy with you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched Creep knowing absolutely nothing about it. I recommend you all do the same.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

The best thing about Burn Notice is that Michael Westen isn't a good guy. Pay attention in the first episode, he caps two guys after he already knocked them out. His whole past is full of blood and guts. It's only once he's burned and on American soil that he starts acting like he gives a poo poo about human life. Dude is a stone cold *insert whatever pop-psychiatry BS that is analogous to psychopath here*. That's why he loved the job so much, it gave him license to do all the hosed up poo poo his little heart desires.

Well, that's because of Larry's tutelage, and his history of child abuse. He sees a world full of two kinds of people: the abusers and those that get abused and can't do anything about. He watches his dad beat his mom for years and her just roll over and do nothing because she was afraid. Michael's purpose is to basically murder anyone that hurts others. It's why when he joined the army they gave him a psych test and decided he can become an operative, his morality is perfectly tuned to be willing to do whatever it takes to protect those that can't protect themselves, including killing them. I don't think that he really enjoyed it, though, that's why hey brought Simon in, because he was basically Michael, but he enjoyed violence as recreation.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

It's going to be hard to find another Burn Notice, but I really liked Eureka as a safer, uncool alternative.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I ended up liking Faults a good bit, it's up on Netflix. The opening scene sells a different, funnier movie than it ends up being, but it changes tones a few times and handles the shifts well. It reminds me of Barton Fink, for that and a few other reasons. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is great in everything, and Leland Orser's an underused actor who's really good in the lead. Probably not for everyone but I'd give it a look if you enjoyed stuff like Upstream Color or The One I Love.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Human Target still up? That seems to hit a lot of the same beats. Agents of Shield, too, in its own way.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Human Target still up? That seems to hit a lot of the same beats. Agents of Shield, too, in its own way.

Agents of Shield gets a little more poo poo than it deserves. The first season wasn't great by any metric, but season two is lots of fun with Inhumans and Kyle Maclachlan completely off the loving chain.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Agents of Shield gets a little more poo poo than it deserves. The first season wasn't great by any metric, but season two is lots of fun with Inhumans and Kyle Maclachlan completely off the loving chain.

The second half of season 1 was pretty great, at least I thought so.

I started watching Comedy Bang! Bang! and it's so loving weird but I can't stop watching it. Guess I should watch Mr. Show.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sarchasm posted:

Agents of Shield is pretty bad right up till it connects with the Winter Soldier movie timeline. It really seemed like they were in a holding pattern until that point and then the story gets much more interesting.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Agreeing with this 100%. I don't know why the viewership skews so heavily towards women but it's cool to have a violent, bloody genre show that your ladyfriends will enjoy with you.

I have no idea why ladies would watch supernatural

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Generally agreed upon Agents of Shield awesomeness ratings

1st half of season 1: Meh
2nd half of season 1: Hooly poo poo this is awesome and ladies and gentlemen BILL loving PAXTON

1st half of season 2: This poo poo owns
2nd half of season 2: Hooly poo poo this is loving awesome. Ladies and gentlemen, KYLE loving MACLACHLAN

Seriously though, unlike other paint by numbers tv dramas, it has real character development and some cool plot twists and turns. Also, the cast is really drat good, and it's fun to see how they interact with each other.

Watch AoS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

I ended up liking Faults a good bit, it's up on Netflix. The opening scene sells a different, funnier movie than it ends up being, but it changes tones a few times and handles the shifts well. It reminds me of Barton Fink, for that and a few other reasons. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is great in everything, and Leland Orser's an underused actor who's really good in the lead. Probably not for everyone but I'd give it a look if you enjoyed stuff like Upstream Color or The One I Love.

Yeah I thought it was quite great, though I kept asking myself "what kind of movie is this trying to be?" In a good way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr E posted:

The second half of season 1 was pretty great, at least I thought so.

I started watching Comedy Bang! Bang! and it's so loving weird but I can't stop watching it. Guess I should watch Mr. Show.

Absolutely you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rough Lobster posted:

Generally agreed upon Agents of Shield awesomeness ratings

1st half of season 1: Meh
2nd half of season 1: Hooly poo poo this is awesome and ladies and gentlemen BILL loving PAXTON

1st half of season 2: This poo poo owns
2nd half of season 2: Hooly poo poo this is loving awesome. Ladies and gentlemen, KYLE loving MACLACHLAN

Seriously though, unlike other paint by numbers tv dramas, it has real character development and some cool plot twists and turns. Also, the cast is really drat good, and it's fun to see how they interact with each other.

Watch AoS

Counterpoint, unwatchable boring by the numbers action series that only shines with guest stars.