Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Only 15 Exalt? Wow, lucky! I had to put 40 of them down.

Jesus. Long War is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speedball posted:

Still waiting for a mod that adds wrestling. :colbert:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Speedball posted:

You have 60+ aliens on the bigger ships. A lot of which are mechanical units/mutons with the odd chrysalid group thrown in.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I didn't notice it until now but EXALT has custom wallpaper with their logo on it.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Speedball posted:

I didn't notice it until now but EXALT has custom wallpaper with their logo on it.

So not only are they using a tacky outdated way of covering the wall, they spent extra to get custom tacky outdated ways of covering their walls.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

64bitrobot posted:

So not only are they using a tacky outdated way of covering the wall, they spent extra to get custom tacky outdated ways of covering their walls.

We need a version of :xcom: with Cobra Exalt Commander saying, "That's EXALT!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something may or may not happen to me today. So wish me luck!

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Speedball posted:

Luck!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

Good luck, Speedball.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

You don't need luck, you just need grenades!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Welp, it worked. Luck! Which is good for my morale. Short version, boss wanted to see me and didn't say why. Fortunately it turns out they like me.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

My tiny puppy and me send you the best luck!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

Welp, it worked. Luck! Which is good for my morale. Short version, boss wanted to see me and didn't say why. Fortunately it turns out they like me.

I still say the grenades had an effect.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I still say the grenades had an effect.

Mimic beacon grenades. They were drawn to me!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They just keep swarming and swarming, huh? Seems like a lot of avenues of attack in that villa.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

They just keep swarming and swarming, huh? Seems like a lot of avenues of attack in that villa.

You mean the Exalt HQ? Yeah. There are, actually. Sadly it also means they can swarm YOU from multiple angles but here I made my guys go in through the side windows to ambush them.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Speedball posted:

Ah, I see EXALT went to the HYDRA school of base decoration.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 47: No Going Back

Hell! Aliens are destroying Kansas! Team, move out!

Aww, man, they’re destroying Superman’s hometown?
Superman lives in “Smallville,” not Kansas City.
God, you nerds… just stay focused!
Oh, I hope everyone’s going to be okay…
Probably not. Minimizing casualties is our goal, but eliminating them? Good luck.
Hey, be nice!

Look, they’re fearsome, but those little grey guys still die when you shoot them. We’re the best of the best, or at least, I am. (And if you all die during the mission, whatever. I’m just here for the tech.)
Yugh. I hope I don’t step in any alien blood this time. It took me a week to get the last of it out of my boot cracks.
Oh, I’m getting nervous again.
Just stay frosty. You’ll be alright.
Nobody says “stay frosty” in real life!
Ugh… you jokers…

Now, let’s go!
Uh, r-right!

Remember, get the civilians out of here first!
Fine. Just hope they stay out of my way.
Gag… the stench… so much burning crap!

Right, two dumbasses secured. Get ready to breach on the right while I pull to the left!
Uh, on it!
On it…

What the gently caress?! Two big ones over in the courthouse!
I’m breaching!

poo poo! Two armored… legless… floating cyborg things!

Aaah, hell… bad idea, bad idea! Taking a shot!

You barely scratched it! EEEEEE!
Calm down! Use your rocket on that fucker!
Uh… right!

Well, that didn’t do anything, either!
AAAAAAH!
FINE, I’ll do it, I’ll get gunpowder residue all over me AGAIN…

Da gently caress! Why aren’t they dying?!

Blasting that fucker! Grenade out!

BOO-YA!
Thanks, Allen. You’re always there to save the day.
I am awesome, thank you.

Wounded one of the big green guys, it’s just pissing him off. And that just pisses ME off!

Hey! You almost blew my head off! You rear end in a top hat!

It’s coming right for me! I can’t outrun it! I… AIEEEEEEEggggggg
Queen!
W… what? BASTAAAARRRRRDS!

Motherfucking loving loving damned FUUCKERS! I… I… I… drat YOU!
…Hilda’s… dead? That’s not… that doesn’t make sense. Naomi… why didn’t you save her?
RAAAUUUUUGH!
You’re supposed to keep your cool! You’re the professional one! And you never miss.

AAAA! Horrible bug-freaks!

It’s right in my face!

Our guns are worthless against them! HELP! AAAAUGH! AT LEAST LET ME DIE PRETTY!

THANK YOU!

Gauuuughhh…
No! LEROY!
She couldn’t see them coming. If she could have seen through walls, maybe, but… AIIIEEE!
What?!

gently caress! The big red one… It blasted right through the wall to crush Allen!

AIIIEEEE!

EVA! What… why!? Your armor… destroyed in ONE hit?! But…

I’m pinned down under suppressing fire! Help!
Why are you even pinned down? You should be a super-cyborg that fears nothing and protects everyone!
What? gently caress THAT poo poo! Why the hell would I want to chop off my limbs for someone else, you nincompoop!? I’m outta here!

GAAAIIIIEEEE!
No…

They’re all dead… but… no. This isn’t us. This isn’t ME.

Starting to get the picture? This is what happens when you try to keep everything the same. The world keeps on turning, with or without you. You get left behind. You never grow. You die.
What?
Since you can’t keep everything the same, you have to make a choice. You choose what you want to keep, what you want to give up. Do you understand?

Allen! Is that you?
Is it? Good question. Right back at ya. Is that YOU, Cam?
…I… it’s… no. This isn’t who or what I am. Hasn’t been for a long while. Feels like a lifetime ago…

I was a pathetic college dropout turned equally pathetic soldier. That’s… that’s who I was. Then I took a chance or two. Things happened… some expected, some very unexpected.
More than I could keep track of. The old me isn’t really gone, but… I’ve kept adding on to myself since then.
And not just genetically, right? I mean, I did give you those legs, but you’re the one who decided to run with them.
I learned to stop hating myself… to stop thinking of myself as a loser by default. I didn’t try to impress anyone anymore… didn’t need to.
And the others?

Mimi’s mission was to spy on XCOM and steal their technology, but she gave up her body, her face, and even her original mission, just to save us.
I won’t let anything happen to you. And I’ve lost nothing that was worth a drat.
Leroy’s still vain, sure, but she learned everything she could to be a good medic, to keep Mimi alive, and us too. She gives a poo poo about everyone else.
It’s just an extension of helping my friends look good. Nobody looks good when they’re bleeding, heh.
Eva’s still sensitive, but she’s brave. Not even afraid of her own face anymore. And there’s more to Hilda than being the quintessential soldier. She’s got a great sense of humor. She’s not afraid of smiling anymore.

You’re starting to get it. The experience you’ve gained has made you better. The technology too. The gene mods are reversible, of course, but you’d be a fool to undo it. And you could all get your old faces and bodies back, no problem… well, maybe not Bar-Lev, except the face, but she could get a civilian body. Would you, though?
Still haven’t decided if I would get my old DNA back. Have to discuss it with Hilda. But yeah… we’ve all gained way more than we lost. And we wouldn’t want to get rid of this technology. It’s a miracle we’ve gotten as much as we have.
I’ve got one other point to make, though.

See that? The city is burning. The toughest troops available to the aliens are running amok. They had these guys working for them all along.
Yeah. They did. So…?

So, if they had sent the toughest troops first, you never would have developed the tech. The skills. The genetic modifications. You’d have all died on your first mission as rookies, just like the first part of this dream. But the aliens didn’t send their toughest troops. Why?
…are you saying… what I think you’re saying?
You’re the game developer here, Cam. Why are the aliens playing games? Why are they letting you level up?
They want us to be stronger… so they can use our strength, somehow.
Heh. Maybe. I’m sure you’ll figure the rest out on your own, buddy.

Allen! Wait, don’t go!
Sorry, Cam. These angel wings are pullin’ me back to heaven. Just make sure to treasure what you’ve got while you’ve got it. Now… time to wake up.

Mugh…
Bad dreams, hon?
Every since I became psychic my dreams got all symbolic. It’s annoying. Say…
What?
If I ever got my old DNA back for whatever reason, would you still love me?

Don’t be silly. Of course I’d love you. No, the real question is, what if I got male DNA?
Would you have a badass mustache like your dad? Because, if so… heh heh.
Ha ha! Good answer.

The hyperwave decoder! It’s MOVING!

Next time: BIG TROUBLE

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Speedball posted:

Hell! Aliens are destroying Kansas! Team, move out!

Too late, Sam Brownback beat them too it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Cam is officially a Jedi, and Allen is his dead Jedi Master.

Also the aliens are running from something even worse than they are and are trying to find a race strong enough to defeat them is my favorite X-Com interpretation. .

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RickVoid posted:

Cam is officially a Jedi, and Allen is his dead Jedi Master.

Also *spoilers*.

My interpretation of Original X-Com is that it was an elaborate suicide plot by the Alien brain computer, who could not self terminate.

This belief is due to the following sequence of events in my first victory.

Soldier gets mind controlled.
Mind controlled soldier travels away from my guys, halfway across the map and up an elevator into the brain room I did not know the location of.
A haze of "Which came first, the Soldier going berzerk, or the pile of mutons failing to kill him?"
Berzerk unloading into the alien brain and winning the game.

The death of the alien brain was completely hands free, out of my control.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just played through The Fall. Pretty decent adventure game and some drat good science fiction. You're a robot controlling a life-support suit, trying to keep your unconscious user alive, and you're in a dangerous facility full of robots, some hostile. It reminds me a lot of the old Asimov Three Laws of Robotics stories, which explore what happens when a sophisticated AI is bound by narrow rules and what happens when rules conflict, or two different AIs with different sets of rules conflict. All the puzzles fit this theme and it's really, really good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The writing, acting, and environments of The Fall are amazing. The gameplay is...less so, being mostly a mix of "use item on environment" and some very basic gunplay. But considering I paid $3 for it during the Steam Summer Sale, I'm more than satisfied with the purchase.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This was a good update. At first I was expecting some kind of alternate timeline shenanigans or something before I realized what was actually going on. Well-played, Speedball.

Also, nice touch with Allen's armor. I just noticed that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Just played through The Fall. Pretty decent adventure game and some drat good science fiction. You're a robot controlling a life-support suit, trying to keep your unconscious user alive, and you're in a dangerous facility full of robots, some hostile. It reminds me a lot of the old Asimov Three Laws of Robotics stories, which explore what happens when a sophisticated AI is bound by narrow rules and what happens when rules conflict, or two different AIs with different sets of rules conflict. All the puzzles fit this theme and it's really, really good.

The gameplay is, unfortunately, somewhat mediocre adventure game stuff, but that setting and story were some really good old-school robotics stuff. I say that having watched/read/played a ton of things about AI/robotics because I love thinking about that stuff. I could sit in a chair and discuss the philosophy of AI and robotics with myself for hours.

As for the update, I'm getting a very "this is the penultimate episode" feel from it. I like the setup though, and dream-Allen's jetpack is badass. Is that part of the main game?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 16, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

I like the setup though, and dream-Allen's jetpack is badass. Is that part of the main game?

It's the Archangel armor, which lets your units fly just like hover SHIVs.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I would have let Kansas City burn. A few less Chiefs/Royals fans in the world to be disappointed each season.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks to this thread, I remembered I hadn't played The Bureau yet, and dusted it off.

Ended up really enjoying it - thanks, Speedball! I even think I know which miserable ex-XCOM person is Cobra Commander!

Still terribly interested to see who our commander is, however.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Kacie posted:

Thanks to this thread, I remembered I hadn't played The Bureau yet, and dusted it off.

Ended up really enjoying it - thanks, Speedball! I even think I know which miserable ex-XCOM person is Cobra Commander!

He managed to keep sober well enough to-...

oh, it's EXALT. He probably didn't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kacie posted:

I haven't even played the Bureau, but I assume he's the protagonist. Didn't said protagonist have a fedora?

(NB not a trilby, a fedora, like Indiana Jones; learn your hat terms)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't even played the Bureau, but I assume he's the protagonist. Didn't said protagonist have a fedora?

(NB not a trilby, a fedora, like Indiana Jones; learn your hat terms)

It's was the '50s or the '60s or something, everyone in the government had a fedora.

Also I haven't actually played the Bureau or know much about the plot, but I'm guessing the Commander is one of the villains or minor characters from there and Cobra Commander was in fact the rear end in a top hat protagonist - just because it'd be played a bit too straight if the hero in this game was the hero in the Bureau as well.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Tomn posted:

It's was the '50s or the '60s or something, everyone in the government had a fedora.

Also I haven't actually played the Bureau or know much about the plot, but I'm guessing the Commander is one of the villains or minor characters from there and Cobra Commander was in fact the rear end in a top hat protagonist - just because it'd be played a bit too straight if the hero in this game was the hero in the Bureau as well.

Oh that would get weird.

That's all I'm saying.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Major Bureau spoilers ahead.

My guess for Cobra Commander is Carter. He was controlled for almost the entire game by an Ethereal, and was very upset about this. Him wanting revenge against XCOM makes sense.

My guess for XCOM Commander is the scientist you can pick to be the new Ethereal host, I forget his name. His personality seems to fit best; the Commander neither seems obsessed with revenge, nor does he seem to view XCOM's technological advancements solely as military applications.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zack Ater posted:

My guess for XCOM Commander is the scientist you can pick to be the new Ethereal host, I forget his name. His personality seems to fit best; the Commander neither seems obsessed with revenge, nor does he seem to view XCOM's technological advancements solely as military applications.

The only problem with that is he was an old dude fifty years ago. I don't exactly see him surviving to the present day.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The only problem with that is he was an old dude fifty years ago. I don't exactly see him surviving to the present day.

Fair enough. I forget quite how far apart the games are. Maybe being an Ethereal host (even for a short time, which could explain both the xcom and cobra commanders) grants unnatural longevity?

......or someone pulled a Mosaic and we just haven't seen the Commander in person because he has no body left.

Oh hey look, we're turning this into a Bureau thread, not only in content but also in form!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's fine, this may give me another page onto which to put today's update (it's a long one!).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Speedball posted:

It's fine, this may give me another page onto which to put today's update (it's a long one!).

Doing my part! Looking forward to the update.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Doing my part! Looking forward to the update.

As do I!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Still, I look forward to when you get around to XCOM2 and seeing how you fit the EXALT commander guy into that. It's fairly easy to see that (an obvious interpretation at least) the stuff he talked about leads into ADVENT.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Zack Ater posted:

Fair enough. I forget quite how far apart the games are. Maybe being an Ethereal host (even for a short time, which could explain both the xcom and cobra commanders) grants unnatural longevity?

......or someone pulled a Mosaic and we just haven't seen the Commander in person because he has no body left.

Oh hey look, we're turning this into a Bureau thread, not only in content but also in form!

I'll be honest I actually love it when threads turn into CIA documents, I don't know why, I just find it amusing as heck.

• Locked thread