Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I don't think map teleporting was ever explained anywhere, I just found it by accident when scrolling across the map and noticing that the aetherite had a gil price listed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, is Rapid Synthesis really worth it nowadays with Name of X + Brand of X being just as or more efficient and having a higher success rate? I'm genuinely curious on these points here, as I've been trying a lot of different things and this is what I've come to.

Name of Element is only better than Rapid Synth in terms of efficiency if you have 0 progress, and it costs 21+ CP on top of that. Rapid Synth is still very useful due to costing nothing but durability.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

GFBeach posted:

At the points where you're level-locked and he's the NPC to continue the MSQ, I just pictured him standing there for a while occasionally swatting at flies or flicking off a piece of gore. Once the Eye nearly backfired when he used it to break down the forcefield around Azys Lla, you'd think he'dve taken the first opportunity between then and the final battle to clean himself up, or at the very least avoid handling the second, fully-powered eye... but no, Chekov's Gun had been revealed, so they had to use it. I just wasn't expecting them to do it quite so soon.

I'm also a little bothered by the fact that Nidhogg's resurrection pretty much invalidates a lot of the progress you'd made in HW towards ending the Dragonsong War: Ishgard's defenses are as battered as they were before the events of HW, their organizational structure is arguably worse off in the short-term with the Church gone (though that means a lasting peace with the dragons is at least a possibility, and they've also rejoined the Eorzean Alliance which is a pretty big deal), and while the dragons are taking a temporary break, they're still out there and their general is now stronger than ever with both his eyes reclaimed. Oh well! v:shobon:v

You forgot the other big change, which is that the truth about the war is known, speaking the truth about it will no longer get you executed for heresy, and Iceheart's followers have stood down and presumably won't be fighting Ishgard anymore. Of course, it's hard to say whether the heretics will follow Ysayle's wishes or just revert back to warring without her leadership, but she would've told them the actual truth and encouraged them to work with Aymeric and the WoL for peace and that has to at least take the wind out of their sails. Either way, Ishgard can finally move towards not being a paranoid, brutal theocracy and should be free to put its resources towards fighting the dragons instead of fighting its own citizens. With any luck they'll be able to shut down some of the power-tripping assholes that populate the knighthood, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sentient Data posted:

I don't think map teleporting was ever explained anywhere, I just found it by accident when scrolling across the map and noticing that the aetherite had a gil price listed

It was in the patch notes whenever it was added.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Name of Element is only better than Rapid Synth in terms of efficiency if you have 0 progress, and it costs 21+ CP on top of that. Rapid Synth is still very useful due to costing nothing but durability.

As I understand it, the value of Rapid Synthesis is in that it increases progress by slightly more than double CSII, thereby reducing the amount of CSIIs you use. There are very few instances where RS would actually result in saving you more CSIIs than Name + Brand (I did a lot of testing on this using Goblin Jigs that I was making for a friend)--in which case, 200~220% vs 250% efficiency is irrelevant if you're overfilling the progress bar by 60 points at the end. The CP cost is a fair point, however. I suppose it comes down to whether it's worth it to spend a little extra CP to guarantee the progress portion of the synth.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For people still making the mistake of not playing on Excalibur:

I forget what other goons are playing on this server, but if anyone is on Adamantoise is interested, the small FC I'm in is trying to set up a semi-static group for raiding once Alexander Savage is up, mostly looking for another healer, although any new people in general who would want to join are always welcome.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Thyrork posted:

And Robzilla blew my head wide open when he told me at roughly level 30 that mobs aggro you based upon seeing you, so you can sneak around their backs. I just assumed their threat ranges were having some issues with EU lag or something. :suicide:

Most mobs aggro by sight. Some aggro by sound (most obvious in the sylphlands - flytraps and ochus are sound aggro). You can avoid the sound-aggro ones by walking instead of running. :eng101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

As I understand it, the value of Rapid Synthesis is in that it increases progress by slightly more than double CSII, thereby reducing the amount of CSIIs you use. There are very few instances where RS would actually result in saving you more CSIIs than Name + Brand (I did a lot of testing on this using Goblin Jigs that I was making for a friend)--in which case, 200~220% vs 250% efficiency is irrelevant if you're overfilling the progress bar by 60 points at the end. The CP cost is a fair point, however. I suppose it comes down to whether it's worth it to spend a little extra CP to guarantee the progress portion of the synth.

You're missing the fact that 2 CS2s cost you 20 durability while a single RS potentially only costs you 10. Even if it fails once you still come out slightly ahead.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

You're missing the fact that 2 CS2s cost you 20 durability while a single RS potentially only costs you 10. Even if it fails once you still come out slightly ahead.

Er, no. I don't think I missed that at all.

Magil Zeal posted:

As I understand it, the value of Rapid Synthesis is in that it increases progress by slightly more than double CSII, thereby reducing the amount of CSIIs you use.

Both CSII and RS are free CP-wise, so the only reason to even say there is value in using fewer CSIIs is in the amount of durability you save.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 16, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also on the topic of Estinien's new dye job. Artifact armor is explicitly said to resonate magically with the wearers soul gem. It is an enchanted item in universe, so his armor absorbing some of Niddhog's aether isn't out of the question, and thus changing in form. Granted they might have been too lazy to come up with an actual blood splattered model, but it changing by itself isn't that weird.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what's up with giving PLD a healing spell? In case someone really wanted to pretend they were playing WoW?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Paladins have always had access to White Magic in FF, they're just usually hampered by lower MP and/or smaller healing numbers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Clemency is good

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

So what's up with giving PLD a healing spell? In case someone really wanted to pretend they were playing WoW?

I don't think it's so much to emulate WoW as Paladins have had healing abilities in some form or another in many Final Fantasy titles, including FFXI (the other FF MMO) as well as pre-ARR FFXIV (Holy Succor).

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
We live in a dark time when people think Paladin's having healing abilities is something from WoW.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

The original and most iconic Final Fantasy Paladin, Cecil, had white magic.

Anything to do with Paladins in FF is usually some kind of homage to Cecil and this is no different

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 16, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Countblanc posted:

Also Clemency is good

I just wish it had auto-surecast or something. Getting Clemency interrupted feels pretty bad.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Captain Oblivious posted:

The original and most iconic Final Fantasy Paladin, Cecil, had white magic.

Anything to do with Paladins in FF is usually some kind of homage to Cecil and this is no different

Or you know...the Warrior of Light. You know...the first FF hero. Remember that Paladin is an English thing and the job is Knighto in Japanese.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Belzac posted:

Or you know...the Warrior of Light. You know...the first FF hero. Remember that Paladin is an English thing and the job is Knighto in Japanese.

Final Fantasy was pretty inconsequential as a series sales wise before 4. 1-3 are fairly irrelevant in the overall gamer consciousness.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Final Fantasy was pretty inconsequential as a series sales wise before 4. 1-3 are fairly irrelevant in the overall gamer consciousness.

And that's why 14 just had an entire raid series based on ff3.

Knights/Paladins have had healing magic since day one. It's ways been a thing.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They're so irrelevant they did 3 whole patch cycles on FF3, made one of the battle themes a direct homage to FF2, and stole the largest motif of FF1 (the warrior of light) and made it the main plot focus of the game. You're actually dumb though and think Paladin is Paladin and not Knight so who am I even talking to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

And that's why 14 just had an entire raid series based on ff3.

Knights/Paladins have had healing magic since day one. It's ways been a thing.

FF14 is a love letter to the entire series but if you think they're trying to appeal to peoples nostalgia for FF1 by giving Paladin healing magic you're out of your mind.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

FF14 is a love letter to the entire series but if you think they're trying to appeal to peoples nostalgia for FF1 by giving Paladin healing magic you're out of your mind.

Hey dummy. It's not the Paladin, it's the loving Knight.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_(Job)

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
I just want Paladin/Knight to get Regen.

Why use effort to tank when you can just gather heal-hate? :smug:

(I am assuming Regen is still a percent based thing, I have no idea, haven't touched any white magic yet)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Belzac posted:

Have you ever stopped to consider why it's not Knight in the English translation?

Or did you just hear about the Job title in the tongue of glorious Nippon and your critical thinking shut off there

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They're giving the PLD healing magic because they have always given them healing magic. It's nothing new or an homage. It's just what the job has always been.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, they've had healing magic all the way back to FF1.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Belzac posted:

*Naito

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Have you ever stopped to consider why it's not Knight in the English translation?

Or did you just hear about the Job title in the tongue of glorious Nippon and your critical thinking shut off there

I don't care what the localization team was thinking when they made the Sultansworn KNIGHTS into Paladins but the design team that makes the game calls it Knight and it greatly influence what skills they design for it. They might not even know that it's called paladin in English.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I understand the nostalgia, but I was approaching the question from the POV of tanking.

The one use I could conceive was an alternative way of pulling hate off the main tank if Provoke is on cooldown or something.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of PLD, I almost have mine to level 50. Are the Marauder cross-class skills worth getting? I mainly picked PLD because CNJ / WHM was my main class and it seemed like an easy extension. Mercy Stroke seems legit, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for ala Swiftcast for mages.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SirPhoebos posted:

I understand the nostalgia, but I was approaching the question from the POV of tanking.

The one use I could conceive was an alternative way of pulling hate off the main tank if Provoke is on cooldown or something.

You can use it, to heal people who have taken damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SirPhoebos posted:

Final Fantasy (and WoW) sticks to its D&D roots of having Paladins be fighters with some cleric abilities/healing thrown in. They seem similar because they're both pulling from the same source material (like how most people who base elves on Tolkien's version include things like them being kinda racist despite being a long lived and enlightened species).

Final Fantasy was literally the gateway drug of video game (console) RPGs for a lot of people in the 80s outside of Japan. That it was basically a D&D game with a different skin didn't hurt.

Final Fantasy 2, for all its buggy weirdness, is the origin of a lot the SaGa series' mechanics and introduced Chocobos.

Final Fantasy 3 was imbalanced as poo poo but it also introduced a job system that was refined pretty well in FF5.

We only got FF1 and then jumped to FF4 but the series was still a pretty big deal even if it doesn't have the religious following Dragon Quest built in Japan. Dragon Quest 3 is significantly better than any of the NES Final Fantasy games though, even though Fighter didn't really have the offense it was supposed to have until the remakes came along.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

I don't care what the localization team was thinking when they made the Sultansworn KNIGHTS into Paladins but the design team that makes the game calls it Knight and it greatly influence what skills they design for it. They might not even know that it's called paladin in English.

It's probably just a continuation from FFXI, where they've been called Paladins in english for nearly 12 years now. Knight sounds dumb, anyways - it's fancy because it's "foreign" in Japan. That's why the localization team renamed the Warrior/WHM hybrid class Paladin in English.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 16, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Belzac posted:

"Knights can use Cover to protect his team, as well as low-rank White Magic."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Paladins having a heal ability (however minor or wide) is basically a trope of the entire fantasy genre dating back to D&D and beyond.

To say that it is "copying WoW" is incredibly naive.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
They named them Paladins because Japan literally thinks Americans are idiots and would wonder why a Knight could cast healing spells.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Belzac posted:

If you've ever read anything Koji has written about the localization of this game you would know that is not the case. The localization team is fairly involved with the writing process and the Japanese script is not always the original. This makes it hard to make any serious claims of the authenticity of one over the other. Knowing this it is hard to envision Paladin versus Knight being anything but a conscious choice. They did not do it for shits and giggles, they did it because they know what game has weight in the English speaking world. It isn't FF1, 2 or 3.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of PLD, I almost have mine to level 50. Are the Marauder cross-class skills worth getting? I mainly picked PLD because CNJ / WHM was my main class and it seemed like an easy extension. Mercy Stroke seems legit, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for ala Swiftcast for mages.

Yeah they're all pretty good except fracture and skull sunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
edit: ^ ^ sweet. Getting MRD to 26 shouldn't be that hard with the tank queues.

In the remake of FF3 for DS / mobile phones, they made a stronger distinction between the fighter (called them warriors, hint hint) and knight. Warriors could do an attack that would do double damage, but decreased their defense (sadly they could not bathe in the blood of their enemies). Knights became more defensive. Dark Knights could use HP to do more damage, so really everything the tanks do in this game falls in line with standard Final Fantasy jobs with a few tweaks.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread