Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So how do Old Gods and Horse Lords interplay for being able to play as the Mongols? IIRC OG allowed you to play as them before, but I assume that's no longer the case? And I assume that, if you have HL, you can still play as Mongols without OG, even if they are pagans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DStecks posted:

So how do Old Gods and Horse Lords interplay for being able to play as the Mongols? IIRC OG allowed you to play as them before, but I assume that's no longer the case? And I assume that, if you have HL, you can still play as Mongols without OG, even if they are pagans?

Without the DLC, you play mongols etc under the Tribal government type just like before this patch, instead of with the new Nomadic government type.

Also is oublietting yourself still a thing?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Solemn Sloth posted:

Without the DLC, you play mongols etc under the Tribal government type just like before this patch, instead of with the new Nomadic government type.

Also is oublietting yourself still a thing?

According to the patch notes, it's fixed.

Playing nomads is awesome, apart from Way of Life, this is the best DLC since The Old Gods.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I don't think this is working as designed. The nomad conquest is not available if you have a claim CB so as a nomad you get the castle holding. This is especially problematic if you're playing as a vassal. I conquered a county, then my leige immediately lost it in a war. I declared on the new owner and am stuck with a county capital I can't pillage.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Also a thing I noticed but wasn't really part of performance test was that my hands off overnights would cover several hundreds of years more than it did before. Either way I still have more stuff I can make better, right now I'm working on a new technique I call optimization through genocide (inspired from the mod that adds a decision that cleans out characters, difference is this will be completely unnoticeable to the player)
I haven't noticed any major difference in terms of how far a hands-off overnight observer run goes. With and without mods, a CM start before I go to bed ends up around 1000 by the time I check the game in the morning. With yearly autosaves on, mind.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Randarkman posted:

Seems the Shia Caliphate rising event is bugged. It spawns the pretender Caliph, however upon winning the war he does not get the Shia Caliphate title and remains a normal ruler, which can cause several other Shia Caliphate risings to spawn further king-level Sayyid Shi'ite rulers. This is running with my decadence tweak mod, however I have not edited anything to do with that event or the associated CB. So it's probably something in the patch that made this happen.

I saw this too in my game yesterday, and I'm running no mods.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BgRdMchne posted:

I don't think this is working as designed. The nomad conquest is not available if you have a claim CB so as a nomad you get the castle holding. This is especially problematic if you're playing as a vassal. I conquered a county, then my leige immediately lost it in a war. I declared on the new owner and am stuck with a county capital I can't pillage.

Right click an empty holding and set it as capital.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
It's official. I suck at being a horse lord. It doesn't help I've read zero of the dev blogs and have no idea how the new mechanics work.

For example, imagine my surprise when I joined a war and had no levies to raise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

What's the distance from city/other trade post requirement for the max level silk road trading post?

Edit: when your horde gets stack wiped: just because you have a lot of manpower, doesn't mean you should use it all at once. -100+ prestige per month reinforce costs :stare:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 16, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ToxicAcne posted:

Isn't it inevitable now that China will be included. This expansion kinda dances around the fact that most of the interactions between the nomadic tribes were between China.

I find myself hoping that CK2 keeps expanding until it includes the entire EU4 world map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really like it. Your hordes are basically retinues only better, but it's a much bigger deal if you lose most or all of your hordes, because you don't have levies that replenish for free to fall back on.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Torrannor posted:

I really like it. Your hordes are basically retinues only better, but it's a much bigger deal if you lose most or all of your hordes, because you don't have levies that replenish for free to fall back on.

Also you don't have walls to hide behind. A major battle loss and your capital sieged down can lose you a war pretty quickly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also you don't have walls to hide behind. A major battle loss and your capital sieged down can lose you a war pretty quickly.

I have a complaint about this which is, it seems that feudals have a much easier time conquering steppe land than nomads do. If you're defending against other nomads, well, in order to really make progress against you they need to either pin down your armies or siege down your capital/your vassal clans' capitals. So it's, not easy, necessarily, but not altogether difficult to dance your armies around and reverse any gains they do make. Feudals, on the other hand, can build forts. For basically nothing, and more or less instantaneously. So all those empty provinces that are really hard for a horde to keep control of suddenly need a siege to recapture the instant a feudal marches an army into them. Does that sound completely backwards to anyone else?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autonomous Monster posted:

I have a complaint about this which is, it seems that feudals have a much easier time conquering steppe land than nomads do. If you're defending against other nomads, well, in order to really make progress against you they need to either pin down your armies or siege down your capital/your vassal clans' capitals. So it's, not easy, necessarily, but not altogether difficult to dance your armies around and reverse any gains they do make. Feudals, on the other hand, can build forts. For basically nothing, and more or less instantaneously. So all those empty provinces that are really hard for a horde to keep control of suddenly need a siege to recapture the instant a feudal marches an army into them. Does that sound completely backwards to anyone else?

It's how they did it IRL so it makes sense to me. Could stand to have them take longer to build, though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Did some more changes to the decadence tweak. Now highly decadent dynasties above duke level may get an event which gives them an "Internal Disorder" modifier that gives a -50 vassal opinion penalty and raises revolt risk by 5%, they can get rid of this via an event with a MTTH of 10 years (reduced by virtuous traits, increased by sinful traits, also reduced by piety and greatly by decadence under 50) that also reduces decadence by 30. Modified AI factors to create and join independence factions against a decadent liege (it was too high before, but it's still pretty high, the first level at 60 decadence effectively removes the reducing factor from having same culture and relgion as your liege), also (hopefully) made nationalist revolts possible even if kingdom had no previus holder if the ruler has the "Internal Disorder" modifier. Also added some localisation.

Link

Had a look into the Shia Caliphate event and CB and I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't give the pretender the Shia Caliphate upon the war succeeding, there is a line making him usurp the title upon the war ending. I tried to change that to "de_shiite { grant_title = ROOT}" and also tried moving that line under "on_success" rather than under "on_success_title", and that didn't work. I also tried to make an event that fires on success that grants the title, and that didn't work either, even when firing the event via console.

Is it possible the syntax for creating or granting unheld title has changed (maybe due to titles changing a great deal with government forms and all)? Because I don't think I saw the Seljuks or any other of the emergent states in the three observer games (one without my mod) I've run to about 1100 so far.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Right click an empty holding and set it as capital.

Awesome. I'll remember that for next time, since I ruined that game after taking the khaganate by accidentally settling my clan instead of pillaging a holding in ironman.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

How do the nomad capital buildings work if you change where your capital is? Do they all just pack up and move with the capital to the new location?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TyrsHTML posted:

How do the nomad capital buildings work if you change where your capital is? Do they all just pack up and move with the capital to the new location?

Yes.

Larry Parrish posted:

It's how they did it IRL so it makes sense to me. Could stand to have them take longer to build, though.

True, I guess. Though that was a long term project... and post dates CK2's timeframe by a century or two.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Emperor of China? Emperor of Mongolia?

I will be emperor of the world!

(goddamn it's fun wrecking stacks 2x your size with a 33 martial score khan and poo poo tons of cavalry)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a bit funny that you can play as the emperor of China but only the western edge of the empire is actually in the game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Looking forward to the inevitable China expansion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's a bit funny that you can play as the emperor of China but only the western edge of the empire is actually in the game.
It's just the Chinatown.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Groogy posted:

No is working as designed, it is the being at peace for too long modifier which for Nomads are applied to the nomad opinions as "Weakness".
Surely it isn't intended that you get negative hundreds the moment you inherit? That's the part that doesn't make sense.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
I have not really followed the developer diaries on the new expansion.
How does it affect standard play for other (non mongol) factions? What does it add? (e.g. Republic added retinues) and is it one of those "must get" DLC's as way of life was?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm thinking of getting back into ck2 after a Vicky 2 then eu4 splurge. Is there something that makes an actual interesting economy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jethro_E7 posted:

How does it affect standard play for other (non mongol) factions? What does it add? (e.g. Republic added retinues) and is it one of those "must get" DLC's as way of life was?

It has the silk road which lets you put trade posts on provinces it runs through and I think enables you to play republics that aren't coastal with some files fiddling. The portrait frames are changed (dunno if I like it yet) so you can identify government type at a glance in addition to count/duke/king/emperor level title. It adds regions but idk what that does.

So far if you aren't interested in nomad play I don't think it is a must get DLC but I'm not sure about all the changes either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 10, 2018

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Jethro_E7 posted:

It adds the ability to get super hosed if you are on the same side of the world as any steppe.

This has got to be the least fun DLC if you aren't playing as the things the DLC adds. The nomads are so loving bonkers ridiculous I wonder if Paradox even considered playing as anything besides them. The CBs they have access to are the best in the game bar none, they have the now most powerful troops due to the nerfs on archers. They are basically immune to fracturing especially since the vassals will only try and usurp the khaganate as opposed to becoming independent. The steppe is really buggy and strange if you are not a nomad, I don't really see what forts do and unless you want to shell out ~400 gold for each trash province just to get rid of it you can't do much. The khagans are all also all holders of empire titles with vassal kings, which means you can't really absorb them all too well. They also seem to be able to snipe away holy orders, which is just more random bullshit. I really hope these things are the result of bugs or things that will be tweaked, if the devs really did want a bunch more unstoppable blobs this DLC may end up with Sunset Invasion disabled and set aside.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 16, 2015

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I keep coming back to this game despite it having features that can make it massively un-fun.

Take for instance my recent horde game: I chose a horde in the north eastern corner of the map. I'm blobbing fairly well, sacking conquests to my hearts content. The mechanic, while fairly tedious, isn't noticeable on this small scale. I'm at enough power to try out the subjugation CB on the Abbasid Empire, which goes swimmingly. I now have to manually go through and revoke titles/sack provinces in a very boring game of opening menus and trying to remember what provinces I am working on at any given time. I know that I don't have to play this way, but it wouldn't be a stretch for the developers to assume I am going to act this way and make the process more streamlined, or at least give the option.

It's going to take a few hours of playing "Game of Menus" before I am done purging the entirety of the former Abbasid empire and I'm not sure I can even bother - yet if I don't - I risk holding on to a massively rebellious piece of real-estate that will pass through my dynasty in no more than a single generation. More trouble than it's worth.

The practical lesson to be learned from this... Don't use the subjugation CB on huge empires/kingdoms. Even if you can conquer and hold them, it will introduce an un-fun level of micromanagement to your game.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 16, 2015

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I keep coming back to this game despite it having features that can make it massively un-fun.

Take for instance my recent horde game: I chose a horde in the north eastern corner of the map. I'm blobbing fairly well, sacking conquests to my hearts content. The mechanic, while fairly tedious, isn't noticeable on this small scale. I'm at enough power to try out the subjugation CB on the Abbasid Empire, which goes swimmingly. I now have to manually go through and revoke titles/sack provinces in a very boring game of opening menus and trying to remember what provinces I am working on at any given time. I know that I don't have to play this way, but it wouldn't be a stretch for the developers to assume I am going to act this way and make the process more streamlined, or at least give the option.

It's going to take a few hours of playing "Game of Menus" before I am done purging the entirety of the former Abbasid empire and I'm not sure I can even bother - yet if I don't - I risk holding on to a massively rebellious piece of real-estate that will pass through my dynasty in no more than a single generation. More trouble than it's worth.

The practical lesson to be learned from this... Don't use the subjugation CB on huge empires/kingdoms. Even if you can conquer and hold them, it will introduce an un-fun level of micromanagement to your game.

I've found it more fun and interesting to make big empires tributaries

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
As tempting as 'burn everything to the ground' might be (hell, I'm in the middle of doing it myself), I'm not sure it's really intended. AI hordes, for example, apparently will only ever burn down tribal holdings.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

As tempting as 'burn everything to the ground' might be (hell, I'm in the middle of doing it myself), I'm not sure it's really intended. AI hordes, for example, apparently will only ever burn down tribal holdings.

I'm betting that's because the AI usually only has to pillage tribal holdings once, since they're usually not that built up. It probably doesn't have the patience to hold onto a holding to pillage it multiple times, but if it got a castle/town/temple that it could destroy in one attempt it would burn it down.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

alcaras posted:

It isn't complete until I can play the Aztecs and perform my own sunset invasion.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

alcaras posted:

absolutely unironically

also I used the custom ruler to make the khivan ruler Zoroastrian. Now how do I get rid of all these mosques?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randarkman posted:

Did some more changes to the decadence tweak. Now highly decadent dynasties above duke level may get an event which gives them an "Internal Disorder" modifier that gives a -50 vassal opinion penalty and raises revolt risk by 5%, they can get rid of this via an event with a MTTH of 10 years (reduced by virtuous traits, increased by sinful traits, also reduced by piety and greatly by decadence under 50) that also reduces decadence by 30. Modified AI factors to create and join independence factions against a decadent liege (it was too high before, but it's still pretty high, the first level at 60 decadence effectively removes the reducing factor from having same culture and relgion as your liege), also (hopefully) made nationalist revolts possible even if kingdom had no previus holder if the ruler has the "Internal Disorder" modifier. Also added some localisation.

Link

Honestly I feel like penalties could be tuned up even further. In a 1081 start game I've definitely noticed the Seljuks getting more revolts since I've installed your mod, but they're still swatting them down as easily as ever.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

absolutely unironically

also I used the custom ruler to make the khivan ruler Zoroastrian. Now how do I get rid of all these mosques?

If you install a Zoroastrian ruler in the temple holding it should convert from Mosque to whatever temple devoted to sister-loving the Zoroastrians have.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay. So evidently everyone else is wwaaay better at nomads than me.

What do I do to actually get more than 3000 troops? How are you supposed to grow manpower at a reasonable speed? Should I pillage or hold onto feudal holdings?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Ive been raiding neighbors for cash, building up my capitol and whenever a neighbor has a civil war of any kind i snipe some land off and burn it to the ground. More empty holdings means more population. More population means more manpower and more troops.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Honestly I feel like penalties could be tuned up even further. In a 1081 start game I've definitely noticed the Seljuks getting more revolts since I've installed your mod, but they're still swatting them down as easily as ever.

I considered adding a penalty to manpower to the internal disorder modifier. I'll see about it. I've noticed that the Muslim blobs do tend to defeat independence factions or the wars end inconclusively.

e: Did you use the latest version? The one with the modified decadence revolt event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

alcaras posted:

Swerve as the next DLC fills and fleshes out Africa and throws them a bone.

Please Paradox I want this along with a China/Southeast Asia DLC, and if you do China bite the bullet and do Japan afterwards.

That or another silly invasion, I want Skeletons.

• Locked thread