Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My dad currently uses a crappy little camera bag that he loops through his belt. I want to get him something a little nicer for when my parents are in Italy this fall.

He just carries his Samsung mirrorless camera (like this one), a polarizer, a spare battery and a lens cloth.

I would like to keep it under $100 if possible. The Domke F-5XB looks like the best bet right now. I think the Restrospective 5 is too big. Any other bags I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My dad currently uses a crappy little camera bag that he loops through his belt. I want to get him something a little nicer for when my parents are in Italy this fall.

He just carries his Samsung mirrorless camera (like this one), a polarizer, a spare battery and a lens cloth.

I would like to keep it under $100 if possible. The Domke F-5XB looks like the best bet right now. I think the Restrospective 5 is too big. Any other bags I should check out?

I have that Domke and I love it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Glad to see that I'm not the only one not happy with most bags on the market. I think I want a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. What bugs me with that one, and pretty much most others, is that there are no straps on the bottom to put my tripod in (it's a MeFoto Roadtrip, it's pretty compact). I have an old Dakine Nomad from my mountain biking days, which I still think is the best backpack I've ever owned. Sadly, it's loving awful to haul gear around in.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one not happy with most bags on the market. I think I want a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. What bugs me with that one, and pretty much most others, is that there are no straps on the bottom to put my tripod in (it's a MeFoto Roadtrip, it's pretty compact). I have an old Dakine Nomad from my mountain biking days, which I still think is the best backpack I've ever owned. Sadly, it's loving awful to haul gear around in.

There should be a tripod mount on the flipside 400 aw. They call it Hideaway Tripod Mount™.

Edit: How do you like the Roadtrip by the way? I have a heavy rear end tripod that I never use due to the inconvenience, and am thinking of replacing it with the Roadtrip.

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've ordered a ProTactic 350 AW meanwhile (should have arrived today, but gently caress UPS I guess). It looks awesome, too. Sucks that I can't let the tripod dangle sideways on my rear end, since that feels like the natural place for a compact tripod to me, but alas. Those MOLLE strips on it will hopefully prove practical.

The Roadtrip is nice for the price. It collapses to a nice and handy package, altho MeFoto has an even compacter tripod, but that one has even more nested leg elements. Since the Roadtrip is lighter than those steel monsters, you need stabilize it at a certain point of leg extension, otherwise pushing the shutter button may cause vibrations that'll show in the image. If you have the legs all the way out, it becomes a tad wobblier than I'd like. I usually don't have them extended that much, because my shooting style when doing urban exploration (where I use it mostly) has the camera more often at hip or lower chest height. But I have my hand on the head and push downwards regardless. --edit: The Arca Swiss clamp that ships with it is nothing special in terms of grip, tho. If you intend to shoot in portrait, you definitely need an L-bracket.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 10, 2015

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Has anyone here used the crumpler proper roady 9000? I had been looking at the Billingham Hadley Large as something which could double as an every day camera or laptop bag but I'm not 100% sure if it would be suitable for a GW690 or if I'd be able to cram an RB67 into it in a pinch.

edit: huh, crumpler seems to have a completely different line of products outside of europe

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 10, 2015

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just ordered my first mirrorless camera and I assume that I'll need a case for it. However, I already have a large messenger bag (Cote et Ciel) that I'm pretty happy with. Should I order some wraps to store my camera and lenses in the bag, or would I be better off with a proper case?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I have a medium crumpler banana bowl which is big enough to fit a camera/charger and some lenses or an rb67, it has little hooks which you can put a camera strap onto so you can just carry it on its own too which is handy, the smaller one might be more suitable for a mirrorless system. As I said above, they weirdly have a different product line outside of europe though.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

MadlabsRobot posted:

There should be a tripod mount on the flipside 400 aw. They call it Hideaway Tripod Mount™.

Edit: How do you like the Roadtrip by the way? I have a heavy rear end tripod that I never use due to the inconvenience, and am thinking of replacing it with the Roadtrip.

I carry my Roadtrip on the back of my Lowepro 250 Flipside, and it's just about small enough to fit, and just about large enough to be useful as a tripod for my camera in general use (a7r with medium sized lenses). I think it's a great little tripod, but my Roadtrip is in aluminium and if I had to pick again I'd go for carbon fibre for weight, probably one of the well made but cheap Chinese brands like Sirui. Depends on whether you're bothered by the weight at the (literal) end of the day.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MadlabsRobot posted:

Look into Three Legged Thing tripods. I compared them and a Mephoto, the 3LT was hands down better. I ended up with a "dave" which is discontinued but strudy enough to hold my 4x5 as well as my Fuji.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Picked up an Ona Prince Street that arrived today. I can't stop looking at it or smelling it. I wish I had found out that it existed long ago.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I just bought the Domke and it is my favorite bag. Apparently I .. uhhh .. have a bag addiction.

Anywho, the Domke holds my XT1, 23, 35 and 56 lenses (its tight), it's easy to get into and very lightweight. My only wish is that the front pocket had dividers but oh well, I will deal.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I use the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home with my A7S kit. I can fit the A7S with a lens on it plus four or five other lenses, depending on lens size. I like that you can use the velcro, buckles or both. It doesn't have much for pockets, but it does have storage in the cover flap and there are small storage spaces underneath the shoulder strap mount areas plus loops on the sides to hook stuff on to. I like it because it's a sleek design so it's not all bulky, square and sticky-outy like a lot of other camera bags. It also has a handle on top which ends up being much more useful than you would think.

I just looked at B&H's web site and they sell the new pattern 5MDH, which is actually worse than the old one. Go to eBay or Aliexpress and get one of the old pattern ones with 2 buckles on the front and a pocket in the flap.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I want to get a roller case, mostly for my lighting gear which is a ranger quadra kit (thanks to red19fire) a couple speedlites, and some small modifiers. Maybe a couple Manfrotto nano stands if their is room. I'd like to get something that's carry on size and I'm debating between a Pelican 1510 with dividers/lid organizer or a ThinkTank Airport Security 2.0. I'm a big fan of ThinkTank but their roller is very expensive (about $415 right now) whereas I can get the Pelican for $245.

The advantages of the Pelican are that it's waterproof, buoyant, crush proof, and I could probably stand on it. It's also heavy and from my understanding holds less gear than the TT. I don't spend a lot of time around water so I'm not too worried about it being water proof. I just want a bag to keep all my lighting gear together and something I can use as a carry on for when I fly across country so I don't have to check my expensive gear.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just bought the Domke and it is my favorite bag.
I also just bought this Domke because I bought a large zoom lens and my Crumpler 2 Million Dollar Home couldn't really fit everything anymore. The Domke is basically the perfect size for me and I don't have to reconfigure the dividers or rearrange anything for whichever lens I've got on the camera. The strap is also really nice; it's a heavy canvas but has rubber strands interwoven for grip.

I wish the left and right sides had a little bit of padding, though. And I need to find a seam ripper to take the Domke tag off the front.

edit: Since that Domke has been out of stock at B&H and Adorama forever, I ended up getting it from here. I would recommend them because they are an authorized Domke dealer and I received my order on the other side of the country within a week.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 21, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

geeves posted:

Picked up an Ona Prince Street that arrived today. I can't stop looking at it or smelling it. I wish I had found out that it existed long ago.

I have one of these too, and it's a great bag, but jesus christ the strap is so horrible. I need to get some aftermarket thing to improve it. drat shame I can't just remove it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I have one of these too, and it's a great bag, but jesus christ the strap is so horrible. I need to get some aftermarket thing to improve it. drat shame I can't just remove it.

I sort of agree after a week or so. It's really great when I just have one lens, body and perhaps my ipad. Add a 2nd or 3rd lens (especially something like the 70-200) and it really digs into your shoulder. The pad on the strap could be a bit thicker / softer for a more comfortable fit.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of getting a lightweight camera sling and I've been looking at gordy's straps. How are they? The leather looks kind of thick and stiff, or is it nice and flexible? I am looking for a sling because all of the neck straps mean that the camera knocks my kid in the face every time I bend over to pick him up, and a sling just seems generally more comfortable for longer walks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RangerScum posted:

What do you dislike about it? I've had one for like two years and never had troubles with the strap. I wish the bag was like a couple inches bigger inside, though.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

All the Gordy stuff is dope as heck

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

BANME.sh posted:

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight camera sling and I've been looking at gordy's straps.

I've been running their single point attachment sling for a while now and it's great for rangefinders. Get the little quick change hook and some extra rings and put them on the left side of the cameras. There is a grommet you can pull to tighten it up, so it will just hang it right on your hip or lower back/butt. They'll make it to whatever length you want as well. Leather is good, not stiff at all and will get very soft with use.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That sounds awesome. The only thing that was giving me second thoughts about the sling was that using the tripod mount meant the camera hangs awkwardly upside down or backwards with the lens against your body.

You're saying to get the sling with the split ring connector and one of the quick disconnect kits?

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Yeah - I use my XE-1 with a grip for most of my kid stuff/general snapping and I have the split ring on the left side (side with the viewfinder) and the quick disconnect hook. Camera hangs longways at my side.

like the 3rd pic here: http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-split-ring/index.htm

except on the other side as I feel like it's easier to get the viewfinder up to my right eye and it's not in the way of the shuttler release.

fake edit - oh drat they got a titanium release now!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I use a black rapid which is the same principle, and I can say it's much better attached upside down to the tripod mount. When a camera is hung on sling like that on a sliding carabiner, it allows you to "quick draw" and get the camera to your face very quickly. Also, at least on my dslrs, the tripod mount is the best place to keep the camera balanced so it doesn't swing wildly. You'll probably want to have your lens facing out so it doesn't constantly poke you in the side. Just be careful when you're navigating tight/crowded areas.

I can't speak to gordy's but my black rapid is comfortable as hell. I have no issues carrying around a 6D + a 70-200 2.8 IS II (about 5lbs of kit) walking around all day in the hot Florida summer. Conversely, the other day I borrowed a Leica M with a 50 f/2 for the day and used the provided neck strap. After walking around all day with that setup, my neck was killing me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This Black Rapid ripoff has worked for me pretty well: http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-NSQF-Anti-Slip-Comfort-Ergonomic/dp/B0062W02C6

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What do you dislike about it? I've had one for like two years and never had troubles with the strap. I wish the bag was like a couple inches bigger inside, though.

In my opinion it is too thin, so when I have my camera and an extra lens in the bag, maybe 8-10 lbs tops, the strap starts digging into my shoulder like a motherfucker. I like everything else about the bag though!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I have one too and it works great. Money well spent.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

That sounds awesome. The only thing that was giving me second thoughts about the sling was that using the tripod mount meant the camera hangs awkwardly upside down or backwards with the lens against your body.

You're saying to get the sling with the split ring connector and one of the quick disconnect kits?

Gordy's are cool but not terribly comfortable or adjustable (I had one of the straps on my x100s). I use these http://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive. They are adjustable between a sling and a longish neckstrap without tying up the tripod hole.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I use these http://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive. They are adjustable between a sling and a longish neckstrap without tying up the tripod hole.
How secure are those clips?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
edit: got to test some stuff, question answered.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 29, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

Gordy's are cool but not terribly comfortable or adjustable (I had one of the straps on my x100s). I use these http://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive. They are adjustable between a sling and a longish neckstrap without tying up the tripod hole.

that looks nice but i wish it had quick release connectors

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The releases are small enough that they would be hard to undo accidentally. The plastic is reasonably thick as well. If I had to guess a failure point for that strap, it would be the nylon loops that attach it to the camera, not the clips.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Very. I have never had one pop open unintentionally.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I have a Gordy's neck strap on my TLR and the thin form factor gets kind of uncomfortable after a while, not to mention it's more prone to twisting around. Might be good for something lightweight like a mirrorless setup, but I'd be looking for something beefier if I used my TLR more often.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

404notfound posted:

I have a Gordy's neck strap on my TLR and the thin form factor gets kind of uncomfortable after a while, not to mention it's more prone to twisting around. Might be good for something lightweight like a mirrorless setup, but I'd be looking for something beefier if I used my TLR more often.

I used one with my X-T1 and it really isn't much more comfortable. Definitely looks good but I have the Domke Gripper on it now and I'm much happier since I can also wrap it around my hand/wrist if I don't want it around my neck.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A tip to the Crumpler fans out there. The loops on the sides of the MDH series bags are compatible with MOLLE gear, so if you need a little extra storage space, you can always get a MOLLE pouch and strap it on there. You can get the real deal stuff that's bombproof or get the cheap Chinese airsoft stuff, which is plenty strong enough for photographic use.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So after getting the XF 16-55mm f/2.8 and a Surface 3, I think it may be time to upgrade from my Lowepro Passport Sling. Especially because the Surface 3 sits about 1 inch above the hemline corner at the top of the bag. So while the bag can just barely close, it creates an oblong shape when closed and I've already slightly ruined the finish on the type cover. I was thinking along the line of the Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7. It's about the size that I'm looking for, the capacity I need (since there appears to be enough room for even a Surface Pro 3, three lenses, and a flash gun), and it's on sale for $109.

So what is everyone's thoughts? One concern I had is that I had a Lowepro Event Messenger 250 once and I wasn't fond of how thick it was nor its overall size and overly rigid structure even when under loaded or empty while the Retrospective 7 is only 0.4 inches thinner. However, the material sounds thin enough that when underloaded the bag won't have an excessive girth. Speaking of material, I'm slightly concerned about the bag's need for a rain cover as I've never used a bag that had one. Is it as inconvenient to use as I think it is? Would using waterproofing treatments be a good idea?

I'm also cross shopping an ONA Brixton and Prince Street which are slightly smaller but a lot more expensive. I like the style (though it may be a little too extravagant for my tastes) and the buckles for the main flap. However, it is quite expensive. Also, I'm rather lazy about maintenance so I'm worried that the material may not be ideal for me from what I understand about waxed canvas. Are there any other camera bags in this size and style (that is a plain looking bag that doesn't look like a camera bag) with low-maintenance water-resistant material that are suggested?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I have the ONA Brixton and it's great. The padding on the strap is pretty useless though, but I guess it looks nice. My main complaint about it is that it's pretty heavy even without anything in it. It's a solidly built bag that's why, even though it's mostly canvas. It's like the same issue you get with getting leather messenger bags with quality leather.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Lowepro activated their magic mind-reading machine and came up with the photo backpack I've been looking for:

http://store.lowepro.com/ca/photo-sport-bp-200-aw-ii-ca

It has a lower camera storage section and an upper general storage section, like the Rover AW II, but unlike the Rover which can be infuriatingly slow to access gear, this one has side access for much, much better on-the-go access. A nice update from the previous series.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Are there any more things like this? I would like to find one for all my gopro stuff and one for my mirrorless camera stuff and be able to put them into my existing backpacks or shoulder bags.

• Locked thread