Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, I've figured out my rotation of ships.

IJN DD -> Murmansk -> USN DD

If IJN is done by the time Murmansk has finished I'll go to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I really miss my Omaha now and want to buy a Murmansk. Google says it's just like Omaha but with 5s rudder shift instead of 7.5s, invulnerable engine and 8km torps which deal more damage.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I still recommend the Aurora as one of the most fun premiums, there's hardly ever matches with CVs so the only bad thing that can happen with the MM is having 10 St Louis against you. Easy and fun way to make 150k a game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Ihmemies posted:

I really miss my Omaha now and want to buy a Murmansk. Google says it's just like Omaha but with 5s rudder shift instead of 7.5s, invulnerable engine and 8km torps which deal more damage.
It gets a spotter plane instead of a fighter too. You can shoot out to 17-18km for two minutes with it. It is great for the beginning of the match, if there are no mountains in the way and you can deal with the change in perspective.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
I really like the Omaha. I'm keeping it.

Replay link. In the end, I zigged when I should have zagged and got beaned by a torpedo, but we won shortly after.

Replay link. Got tunnel-visioned on an enemy Furutaka, chased him half the map and ended up getting clipped for like half my health right as I was going to turn around. Spent the rest of the match fruitlessly trying to keep people on fire. Oh, well. Even a bad match is usually a good match in this ship.

Replay link. Highlights include demolishing a Kongo for 21,000 damage at point blank range with a torpedo salvo.

Common theme is citadel pen every goddamn thing. Anything you can't citadel, set it on fire and kite it.

Protips for Omaha: Use the middle hull upgrade, the last one takes away two guns and two torp launchers and replaces it with a bunch of useless AA. My captain also has the ability that reduces cooldown on DC parties, and premium DC parties on this ship really help when it gets penned; 22k credits pays for itself real fast. In that middle one I had my steering taken out a couple of times, and I would have been screwed without it. Use AP anytime a cruiser has its side to you, and you'll shred the citadel if you hit it anywhere near the middle. Anything this thing comes up against at its tier or below, you can pen reliably, except sometimes the St. Louis if it's angled at all. A key benefit over the Cleveland is that it gets slotted more frequently into the T3-T5 bracket, and rarely into the T5-T7 bracket, whereas the Cleveland usually only sees T5-T7 games. Anything at its tier or below, it will ruin.

As an aside, T4/T5 in BBs and cruisers is about where it stops being quite so much of a loving chore to grind out ships and starts being fun, with the exception of the Furutaka. Ships will shoot where you point their guns more often than not, as opposed to the Myogi's, Kawachi's and the South Carolina's guns, which will decide to go to Africa rather than land on the target. Still frustrating sometimes, but much better. Angling is very important with the Kongo; it's armor is relatively fragile, flat on, against Wyomings and other Kongos; if it gets hit, it's going to take a lot of damage.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You shouldn't give torps to pubbies goddamn. One destroyer in our team got -2. One of them was me.

The guy sent some torps towards a Langley. They ran past me and I turned so I could torp the Langley since I was closer and saw that the other dude's ones were going to miss. Sent the fish sailing and turned hard port. Well the dude had sent another torp salvo of which I ate 3... in my Wakatake :suicide:

I did not realize he was literally spamming the torpedoes aimlessly around.

Why the pubbies have to randomly poo poo out torps with no chance of hitting the enemy? 3 of my 4 torps hit the carrier and sunk it in one go.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
A couple of days ago I was in my Wickes and got sunk by friendly torpedoes from another US DD while I was in the middle of dodging the enemy torpedoes. Unsurprisingly, the other DD wasn't even in range when he fired those torpedoes so even if he didn't hit me they would have run out anyway. pubtorps.txt

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Some music to IJN to. This one makes a great track for running cruiser engagements, while this one is perfect for stalking shitlord BBs in your destroyer.

Of course, once the Germans come, they've got some pretty loving baller soundtrack tunes to play to as well. Few songs suit the pace of destroyer play as well as this one does, and here's a good one for late-game when you're busy stomping the poo poo out of whatever's left of the enemy team.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Unlocked the first US destroyer.

How close should you be for torps to have a chance of hitting someone? I've tried firing one launcher directly at the current location and leading with the second launcher on a side by about a ship length from 6km away, but the enemy always seems to dodge them somehow by either turning directly toward them and going between them or by simply outrunning the lead.

I managed to get directly next to an enemy ship and loose them once yesterday, but they survived that killed me as I was switching to guns and unloading.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

How close should you be for torps to have a chance of hitting someone? I've tried firing one launcher directly at the current location and leading with the second launcher on a side by about a ship length from 6km away, but the enemy always seems to dodge them somehow by either turning directly toward them and going between them or by simply outrunning the lead.

I managed to get directly next to an enemy ship and loose them once yesterday, but they survived that killed me as I was switching to guns and unloading.

Go down the IJN DD line instead :shobon:

US DDs have really crappy range on their torps.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The atago is so nice, too bad i'll be rocking a pink name for a while, dude in a match called me a oval office for bumping into him, i apologized, he called me a twat, so i launched a double spread of torps into his broadside, worth it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

Your torps have a range of 4.5km, so less than that. It does tell you the range on them when you mouseover them, also press x to find out the lead time you need to use.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
American DDs are more gun-oriented. Save your torpedoes for when they get close. Play as a nimble gunboat.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Eh, the Samson and Umikaze are kinda all-round. To get a really big torp attack off, I'd say 2km or so to where you want to be.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I accidentally bound something else to CTRL+X. I reset it but the original hotkey combo doesn't work anymore. Where could I find the config files or somethign to fix this? I don't want to reinstall the whole game for just 1 hotkey which is for not some reason available in the settings menu...

E: if you have ever wondered why it's so hard to pen/citadel a st. louis.. it has got over 100mm of straight armor first, then a like 45deg angled 70mm armor belt behind it protecting the whole ship.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 16, 2015

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ihmemies posted:

I accidentally bound something else to CTRL+X. I reset it but the original hotkey combo doesn't work anymore. Where could I find the config files or somethign to fix this? I don't want to reinstall the whole game for just 1 hotkey which is for not some reason available in the settings menu...

E: if you have ever wondered why it's so hard to pen/citadel a st. louis.. it has got over 100mm of straight armor first, then a like 45deg angled 70mm armor belt behind it protecting the whole ship.

Go into the root directory for the game and delete preferences.xml. The launcher will download a new one which will completely reset all of your settings including keybinds.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

That explains nicely why BB guns at mid range are a pro pick to citadel St Louises.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I got my first carrier kill this morning. 2 Langleys. gently caress. Yes. DDs own.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Vatek posted:

Go into the root directory for the game and delete preferences.xml. The launcher will download a new one which will completely reset all of your settings including keybinds.

Thanks, this helped! Quite :wargaming: to hide some keybinds and then allow the player to overwrite them...

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I got my first carrier kill this morning. 2 Langleys. gently caress. Yes. DDs own.

Managed to sneak past the entire enemy team and get 2 langleys in my Isokaze. There were a couple BBs near me, but apparently they were too tunnel visioned to notice me when the planes spotted me going back to the carriers. Both carriers were stationary perpendicular to each other behind an island, so one torp wave got them both.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Artless Meat posted:

Managed to sneak past the entire enemy team and get 2 langleys in my Isokaze. There were a couple BBs near me, but apparently they were too tunnel visioned to notice me when the planes spotted me going back to the carriers. Both carriers were stationary perpendicular to each other behind an island, so one torp wave got them both.

That's amazing. I had to use two waves on each. Obviously the game after this I did exactly nothing but die without getting a single ribbon.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

The torpedoes on the first two US DDs are really loving slow. You have to either launch them at point blank range, or set up a really nice ambush. It gets a lot easier with the Clemson's faster (though still short ranged) torpedoes.

But yeah, US DDs are the best non-premium ships for countering enemy DDs (best premium anti-DD: Atlanta :)). You can run those fuckers down, dodge their torps with ease, and riddle them with holes. Your torpedoes are for when a good opportunity presents itself.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I just got 2x Double Strike medals in one game in Omaha! \:shobon:/

This ship owns.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I now understand why DD's hate CV's and want to kill them. They leave a plane circling above you and you can never stay hidden. Death to all CV's.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ihmemies posted:

I now understand why DD's hate CV's and want to kill them. They leave a plane circling above you and you can never stay hidden. Death to all CV's.

As an added bonus, a DD is in a great position to sneak around the edges and torpedo that loving sky cancer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So is it possible to put ALL the flags on a single ship?

Apparently yes! Though some of them are a bit wasted on a Murmansk...

edit: finally got Advanced Firing Training on my Cleveland captain, and I noticed that the in-battle tooltip still shows the range on the guns before skill bonuses. ~14.4km by hovering over the rounds vs 17.44km in binocular view.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 16, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I've had dive bombers circling uselessly above smoke completely unable to spot the destroyer hiding in the fog right below them. :shrug:

Solysh
Mar 29, 2008

There are three things you can never have enough of in life, Lieutenant: chocolate, friends and the theatre.

Poil posted:

I've had dive bombers circling uselessly above smoke completely unable to spot the destroyer hiding in the fog right below them. :shrug:

It's typically pretty difficult unless the DD forgets to toggle off their AA.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does AA have to be toggled on? Because as best I can tell all my AA gunners are eating lunch/taking a nap or something.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wade Wilson posted:

Does AA have to be toggled on? Because as best I can tell all my AA gunners are eating lunch/taking a nap or something.

If you're low-tier, it's because low-tier ships have gently caress-all AA.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wade Wilson posted:

Early on in the trees most AA has a range of 2km or less. You don't start seeing 4-5km base AA until around T4-T5+, and that's usually when you can use a cruiser's main guns as supplemental AA.

For instance, some early AA is nothing but mounted 7.62mm guns with 0.7km range.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
In case anyone didn't know - you can Control-click on an enemy air group, and that tells your AA to focus fire on that particular group. And yeah, AA is short ranged, the 127mm batteries on the DesMoines have a base range of 5.7km. Similar guns on the Montanna are 5km base. Lowest ranged USN AA is the .50 cal Browning HMG at all of 0.9km. 20mm Oerlikons are 2.1km, and 40mm Bofors are 3.5km

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gort posted:

If you're low-tier, it's because low-tier ships have gently caress-all AA.

Finally unlocked the St. Louis and I get dropped in battles that have 3 carriers on each team throwing bombers everywhere. It's ridiculous.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MREBoy posted:

In case anyone didn't know - you can Control-click on an enemy air group, and that tells your AA to focus fire on that particular group. And yeah, AA is short ranged, the 127mm batteries on the DesMoines have a base range of 5.7km. Similar guns on the Montanna are 5km base. Lowest ranged USN AA is the .50 cal Browning HMG at all of 0.9km. 20mm Oerlikons are 2.1km, and 40mm Bofors are 3.5km

The bulk of AA firepower on all ships but the Des Moines comes in at the 2-3.5 KM mark, or closer on earlier ships. 5 km range guns happen but except for the Des Moines don't do much raw damage.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

xthetenth posted:

5 km range guns happen but except for the Des Moines don't do much raw damage.

Well, they have a decent alpha but due to their slow rate of fire their DPS is crap. Its especially noticeable on the Atlanta where the DP guns shoot slowly but when they do they usually down a plane per volley.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It's fun that like all us cruisers from t6 onwards have 6x2 127mm turrets for AA. And they have 5km range and bad rof. While atlanta has 6 of them as main turrets with 11km range and insane rof. I think Murmansk has same caliber of guns and shoots to 14,5km with them, to 17,4km with scout plane.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Isokaze just landed a fluke torp (aimed at somebody else, I crossed its path while trying to evade bombers) right into my Warspite's side, below B turret. I blew up from full health. I hadn't taken any previous damage.

I can't even be mad.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 16, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I just had a thought - does the AA on/off switch have any sort of wind up or wind down effect ? If not, you could turn off AA until stuff gets close, then try shotgunning them.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I wish there was a cheaper US premium ship. I'd like to have one of each nation for captain training, but not sure I want to drop that much on a premium ship. Will probably pick up the Murmansk and Ishiz. I'll buy some gold to pick up the Murmansk as it's cheaper that way; wish I could buy the Ishiz for gold too.

Also, I just noticed that you can't convert XP on an elite ship unless you own it in port? That's pretty loving lovely, and seems stupid on WG part to put a barrier into spending gold. On the flip side, I only have a few ships at tier 4, and the elite ships I sold don't have a ton of xp on them anyways. Just considering buying gold for the above ship and to jump into IJN CVs, and skipping the Kawachi and Myogi with free xp.

Current plans are going down the US BB, US CA, IJN CV, IJN CA, and IJN DD.

I'm also really bad with torps on the Isokaze. I try to hang out at a distance to not be spotted, but gently caress if I can land torps on anything from that range. Any of my kills have just been lucky ones that I shoot around corners and kill someone I never saw in the first place. Hopefully unlocking the faster torps will help, as the guns are so slow I can't shoot anything without getting blown the gently caress up from return fire, and I pretty much always get raped when I try to close in on anyone. And then if there are planes over head I feel pretty useless because everyone focuses on me if I'm any where near torp range.

Are there any codes floating around for free poo poo? I remember getting a lot of those for tanks way back when I played.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Converting XP was basically never worth it in WoT, so you just pumped it all into the crew. Shame you can't do that in this.