Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Third World Reggin posted:

Meters make the problem more pronounced

Thank you for restating what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if a meter makes you upset, have you considered actually not being completely godawful and/or not expect people to carry you?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

this is dumb and wrong since it states that the elitism and toxicity in the community/playerbase did not happen before the meter.

Meters make the problem more pronounced, but that isn't the problem with them. It is the community that is the problem.

Technically yes, but the more important point to focus on is that most games with these meters tend to make the problem a lot worse. There are already enough features in this game which attract and influence this kind of dramatic community behavior. The meter would be one more to add on top of that pile if it exists as described and is brought over to the NA version. The combination of them all does not fill me with confidence about the future of this game unless I plan to just treat it like a single player experience which I am willing to do but it means that I will probably quit sooner.

Remb posted:

If you do half the damage of a healer, you suck rear end and shouldn't play games.

sword_man.gif posted:

if a meter makes you upset, have you considered actually not being completely godawful and/or not expect people to carry you?

Thank you for proving my point.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 16, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

Please source your oforum quote

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

As an impartial observer to this game, I recommend immediately booting all those whining about in game parsers.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Please source your oforum quote

lmao this meme never gets old. great post friend!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

lmao this meme never gets old. great post friend!

Hey if you shitpost, expect a low-effort reply. :cheers:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

this is dumb and wrong since it states that the elitism and toxicity in the community/playerbase did not happen before the meter.

Meters make the problem more pronounced, but that isn't the problem with them. It is the community that is the problem.

The majority of the community can't handle the inclusion of the meters. They're a good measure for whether someone is a sperglord. At best they're used to measure DPS. At worst (Which is most of the time.) they're used as justification to be a prick.

They magnify and exacerbate a problem that comes from the protection anonymity gives you. Both pubbies and goons don't need another reason to scream and shriek at each other like assholes over chat.

Setting that aside, this game is not some high science. At this point they really are not needed to play properly. So long as you know how your skills work you'll do fine.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 16, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Okay, so I signed up and started a character on this game. And found out I can move around and chat with NPCs with my 360 controller, but I can't attack or jump or do anything else with it?

How do I get that to work, do I need to use Joy2Key or something?

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Which Butt slider gives cryomancer's the most DPS boost? Also are there any quests that will allow my cryomancer to go back in time to freeze the Library of Alexandria before the romans burn it down?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Anal Papist posted:

Which Butt slider gives cryomancer's the most DPS boost? Also are there any quests that will allow my cryomancer to go back in time to freeze the Library of Alexandria before the romans burn it down?

Butt Height lets you kind of make a shelf butt and no silly this takes place in space on another planet, we're space humans

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Archonex posted:

The majority of the community can't handle the inclusion of the meters. They're a good measure for whether someone is a sperglord. At best they're used to measure DPS. A

They are also a good measure for people who actively do not play, barely play, try to get away with being carried, or don't know their class very well.

You can use those to help people as much as harm people. But it isn't the meter that is the problem. It is the people.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

BenRGamer posted:

Okay, so I signed up and started a character on this game. And found out I can move around and chat with NPCs with my 360 controller, but I can't attack or jump or do anything else with it?

How do I get that to work, do I need to use Joy2Key or something?

Controller support for the game is apparently incomplete. You'll probably need Joy2Key until they fix that, yeah.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Butt Height lets you kind of make a shelf butt and no silly this takes place in space on another planet, we're space humans

I don't think you understand just how important that library was to all of humanity, or what a crime against the world the Romans committed in destroying it

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

I think that DPS meters are an essential part of any modern MMO UI. Really, if you have nothing to hide why are you so against them?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Anoia posted:

Controller support for the game is apparently incomplete. You'll probably need Joy2Key until they fix that, yeah.

Well this is odd. Joy2Key just straight up does not work with this game.

It's ignoring the input. This is the first time I've seen something like this happen.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They are also a good measure for people who actively do not play, barely play, try to get away with being carried, or don't know their class very well.

You can use those to help people as much as harm people. But it isn't the meter that is the problem. It is the people.

It is a matter of pros and cons. The pro is that the meters can be used by friendly people to help each other, but you and I both know that this barely happens compared to all of the crappy ways that people end up treating each other because of them.

Bottom line: It's just not worth it regardless of whether one chooses to blame the meter or the people.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Yeah mapping programs don't work because the game has half-built controller support which you can't disable that overrides everything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Remb posted:

As an impartial observer to this game, I recommend immediately booting all those whining about in game parsers.

:yeah:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I tried this for about an hour and uninstalled. The world is extremely confining. This doesn't even really count as an MMO in my opinion. I tried to explore a little in the first map and it literally slayed my character instantly for daring to try to cross a little pond. No one speaks in groups. I was a healing class and could heal in the first place I went, but for some reason it later stopped letting me heal. I think my ability changed? Not really sure what happened there. I was a healing class that couldn't heal.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

An ingame damage chart would be super useful to figure out if bonus damage is better than special effects and stuff.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Xavier434 posted:

It is a matter of pros and cons. The pro is that the meters can be used by friendly people to help each other, but you and I both know that this barely happens compared to all of the crappy ways that people end up treating each other because of them.

Bottom line: It's just not worth it regardless of whether one chooses to blame the meter or the people.

It's like I'm in the FFXIV thread!

Meters are a good thing that sometimes people use for bad things.

That being said I don't enjoy having my gaming time wasted in a 'group' based game by other players who have no interest in learning how to play the game because they are "Just having fun" or "Not a TryHard". Meters allow me to identify these people so I can avoid them in the future.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rylek posted:

It's like I'm in the FFXIV thread!

That being said I don't enjoy having my gaming time wasted in a 'group' based game by other players who have no interest in learning how to play the game because they are "Just having fun" or "Not a TryHard". Meters allow me to identify these people so I can avoid them in the future.

This is the exact sort of toxicity that I am talking about. It divides the player base and the shared information from the meter is just used to filter/exclude people.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FFXIV's lack of DPS meters combines with a nuanced enforcement of the TOS such that you can have your bought-a-box account banned from the game for being rude to somebody about their failure to DPS effectively. This has a net positive effect on PUG dungeon runs, because the PUG dungeons are pretty beatable even with lame DPS. The drawback is that on harder content you can't really tell somebody you have objective proof that they suck, you can only suggest things you have observed them not doing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rylek posted:

"sometimes"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LordSaturn posted:

FFXIV's lack of DPS meters combines with a nuanced enforcement of the TOS such that you can have your bought-a-box account banned from the game for being rude to somebody about their failure to DPS effectively. This has a net positive effect on PUG dungeon runs, because the PUG dungeons are pretty beatable even with lame DPS. The drawback is that on harder content you can't really tell somebody you have objective proof that they suck, you can only suggest things you have observed them not doing.

It's stupid because you can tell when a tank and a healer are loving up and tell them as such, but if you tell a DPS to actually push buttons instead of watch netflix you can get banned. And while you can beat content with really bad DPS it still makes it miserable. When the people who are supposed to be killing enemies quickly are doing worse damage than the healer then a 20-25 fun time becomes a 40-50 minute slog. People expect tanks or healers to pay attention and push their buttons or else the run takes 2-3x as long, so I struggle to see why that same courtesy shouldn't be extended from DPS as well, and since you can tell at a glance when the former group isn't actually trying I think it only fair that the latter should have a similar metric.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yes but you're forgetting the part where i can no longer be the toxic rear end in a top hat autoattacking and watching netflix, and might have to actually play the game i'm paying to play, and that's a bad thing for some reason

or do you people watch onyxia wipe guy and think that's real

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

The drawback is that on harder content you can't really tell somebody you have objective proof that they suck, you can only suggest things you have observed them not doing.

I have found that this scenario is not a drawback in practice as much as it is in theory. The reason is because if you have someone who is not open to receiving and reacting to constructive criticism if presented with care and respect then showing them proof rarely causes them to do anything differently. They are being stubborn mules and the most you succeed in doing is embarrassing them but that embarrassment will not lead to your experience being more fun unless you happen to be a real dick and get off on that (not suggesting you are personally..I'm speaking about players in general). For those that are open to criticism and want to learn, having a private dps meter is all that you need. You can safely offer people help and once they trust that you are a nice guy and not a threat then they are usually willing to share their dps meter info with you.

Again, this is all about pros and cons. Your scenario, in the worst of ways, does happen sometimes but imo the community suffers more than it is improved when these meters exist other than privately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also, ALSO, this is important, but doing the biggest numbers and then ribbing your friends about it is cool.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

or do you people watch onyxia wipe guy and think that's real

Have you not met Drinkfist?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

hayden. posted:

I tried this for about an hour and uninstalled. The world is extremely confining. This doesn't even really count as an MMO in my opinion. I tried to explore a little in the first map and it literally slayed my character instantly for daring to try to cross a little pond. No one speaks in groups. I was a healing class and could heal in the first place I went, but for some reason it later stopped letting me heal. I think my ability changed? Not really sure what happened there. I was a healing class that couldn't heal.

There are no healing classes in this game, so I think you must have misunderstood something.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

They introduce healing classes after they fixed the UI bug with the healing per second meters in the russian version.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I am thinking about purchasing this game, but I have a very important question. I see that gear is entirely cosmetic, which is great, because I love playing pretty princess dress-up. Are outfits all one item, or can you mix and match pieces? Also, are there robust options for color choice?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

blastron posted:

I am thinking about purchasing this game, but I have a very important question. I see that gear is entirely cosmetic, which is great, because I love playing pretty princess dress-up. Are outfits all one item, or can you mix and match pieces? Also, are there robust options for color choice?

Head and body are different (+ earings, facewear)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blastron posted:

This is a free game with nothing to purchase.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

blastron posted:

Are outfits all one item, or can you mix and match pieces? Also, are there robust options for color choice?

There are some color choices and they are fun to mess with but I would not call it robust. The color choices you make impact your entire body's outfit using a preset for that color. It isn't like GW2 where you can mix and match colors on a single piece of gear/outfit.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

blastron posted:

There are a lot of costume options to find. Most of the default costumes have multiple color options, beyond that you have to purchase individual colors of outfits using a special currency that you can make an effort to collect if you want. Doing the tutorial for each class gets you its outfit, which you can wear as anything.

Color variations of class costumes are 100k of the threads currency, and there are some unique outfits that are bought with things that can be gathered in various zones.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
They're also going to rotate outfits you can purchase for argents in the store; No idea why they haven't started yet. Plus 13 additional outfits for maxing each class, which too can be worn by any class, and a few you can get in other ways, like through prestige or login rewards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good god. There are a lot of people getting really mad at the Spanish speaking population and screaming that anyone who doesn't speak English should be banned.

They also hate it when you point out that it is a Russian game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
It's Portuguese.

• Locked thread