Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

The Lone Badger posted:

It's also worthwhile installing a couple of honey pits. The buff lasts 30 seconds so just take a dip now and then to keep it up.

Do you just move it in a bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm having fun building my base, even if I keep having hardmode invasions dropped on my head when all I have right now is palladium. It was fun when all my NPCs died to pirates, and I didn't get anything from the ship.

Though I'm really not sure on the housing I made for the goblin and mechanic. I was messing around with the meteorite bricks mostly. I want to use them more, but they don't really mesh well with other blocks... I'm sure I'll think of something.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Apparition posted:

Or use the honey wand from the Queen Bee to place the honey blocks, then mine them which spawns honey

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apparition posted:

Yes. My arena has a one-tile-deep layer of honey suspended in midair by bubble blocks, which players can pass through without hindrance (but which keep liquids in). Every time I take off or land I pass through the honey and get buffed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. My arena has a one-tile-deep layer of honey suspended in midair by bubble blocks, which players can pass through without hindrance (but which keep liquids in). Every time I take off or land I pass through the honey and get buffed.

:aaa: I just had like five new architectural ideas.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Akett posted:

There's no real need to do either. I manged to kill a few pillars using beetle armor, vampire knives and the terra blade while wearing fishron wings, though you can use lesser wings if you can't beat Fishron. Just get all the buff potions you feel will help and make sure to use them intelligently. Personally I didn't need to use them for the ancient cultist, but the pillars themselves can get pretty tough even with buffs. The real trick though is that you want to pick one of the pillars to keep alive while you make weapons out of the fragments from the other three pillars. I recommend making the solar eruption from the solar fragments because the thing is powerful enough that I recall killing skeletron in two swings, the stardust dragon from the stardust fragments because it's just a help no matter what you're doing and is drat cool, and I don't have any meaningful input to give you on the vortex or nebula weapons because I don't use much of either. It should be noted that I have endgame gear and I still need to buff up at the nebula pillar, so keep that in mind.

I'd go vortex. The Beater is a fun gun that's basically a mega-megashark that occasionally also shoots grenades while the Phantasm absolutely melts poo poo. There's no real need to keep one of the pillars alive however, you can destroy them all and if you die to the moon lord then it doesn't matter, you can just kill the cultist and pillars again to have another go at the big guy or ignore the whole deal until you get better prepared.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
SOlar Eruption is good for events where you are barely underground in your safe bunker while you melt everything on the surface (It reaches a long ways through blocks). Phantasm is how you kill pillars in 3-4 seconds once the shield drops. Star Dragon is my bro and I'll never go anywhere without him.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Wow the Vortex Armour's set bonus is nothing to sniff at, I'd originally ignored it as I figured that the movement penalty would be such a disaster as my usual strategy is flying around in a UFO shooting everything with a phantasm or now my S.D.M.G, but now instead during the lunar events I sit at the base of the pillar in stealth mode and just annihilate everything before it even gets close. Its sped up my pillar runs probably more than 5x faster, the only one slower being stardust as my stardust dragon kills all the solar cells spawns rather than letting them all grow up again to kill for pillar credit without waiting around.

(Un)fortunately it also makes it so after drinking my regular dose of potions I can literally stand still on a hill and out-dps the Moon Lord and kill him without moving before I die... Kind of actually saddened by that one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think I am ready to activate hardmode and start actually progressing again. Yes, all that time since my world corruption was spent building a sweet-rear end base.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

I think I am ready to activate hardmode and start actually progressing again. Yes, all that time since my world corruption was spent building a sweet-rear end base.

This is really good. Bravo!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Metos posted:

Wow the Vortex Armour's set bonus is nothing to sniff at, I'd originally ignored it as I figured that the movement penalty would be such a disaster as my usual strategy is flying around in a UFO shooting everything with a phantasm or now my S.D.M.G, but now instead during the lunar events I sit at the base of the pillar in stealth mode and just annihilate everything before it even gets close. Its sped up my pillar runs probably more than 5x faster, the only one slower being stardust as my stardust dragon kills all the solar cells spawns rather than letting them all grow up again to kill for pillar credit without waiting around.

(Un)fortunately it also makes it so after drinking my regular dose of potions I can literally stand still on a hill and out-dps the Moon Lord and kill him without moving before I die... Kind of actually saddened by that one.

In case you ever care: you can fly at full speed in stealth mode.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

:shepface:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dis astranagant posted:

In case you ever care: you can fly at full speed in stealth mode.

That sounds pretty ridiculous.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

That sounds pretty ridiculous.

Especially since solar wings go about 50 mph horizontally and up to something stupid like 140 mph vertically.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Why is the clothier locked up underground? Stop being mean to the poor old man :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I figured out a way to cheese(cheat) fishing quests if you want to do them quickly without straight up editing your character. Basically you start a multiplayer server where you haven't done the daily quest. Find out what the fish is, catch it, put it in a chest near the angler. Go into your server command and save the world, then turn in the quest. From that point you save and exit on your character and just close the world without saving. Reopen that world and you can turn in a quest in under 10 seconds depending on where your angler is. This also works for just straight up duping items if you need to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Senor Candle posted:

I figured out a way to cheese(cheat) fishing quests if you want to do them quickly without straight up editing your character. Basically you start a multiplayer server where you haven't done the daily quest. Find out what the fish is, catch it, put it in a chest near the angler. Go into your server command and save the world, then turn in the quest. From that point you save and exit on your character and just close the world without saving. Reopen that world and you can turn in a quest in under 10 seconds depending on where your angler is. This also works for just straight up duping items if you need to.

I mean... that's an interesting thing you can do, but if you're willing to go to those lengths why not just cut out the middlemen and use an inventory editor to give yourself whatever it is you want from fishing quests?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean... that's an interesting thing you can do, but if you're willing to go to those lengths why not just cut out the middlemen and use an inventory editor to give yourself whatever it is you want from fishing quests?

Because you don't then get the actual number of fishing quests completed. Also you can do it where you save the game right before 4:30am(in game time) and do the fishing quest legitly. I'm not sure though if it will generate different quests each day because I just did the same one over and over. Basically I don't have a problem with the quests themselves, I think they are fun to do, but you have to wait FAR too long inbetween each one even if you are using server commands to mess with time.
(Also this way you don't have to download any third party software)

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

For the game to think you are in a certain area when fishing does the color of the water just need to change?

I went to go collect a gravestone after having just died because I wanted to make a graveyard nearby my town and I couldn't find it. Do they not always spawn or persist? I went for it directly after dying, it fell down a corruption pit if that means anything. I went down the entire pit to the bottom and found nothing.

So I am going to assume it dissapeared because it was falling down that chasm and never found a suitable piece of land to settle on. Do gravestones show up if you mouse over them on the large map screen?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, something that came off the wiki, if you need to make the easiest Lunar Pillar easier: None of the Vortex Pillar enemies can go through blocks, so you can board yourself up, then use the Solar Fury/Summons/Traps/Whatev to kill enemies outside with absolutely no threat to yourself.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Because you don't then get the actual number of fishing quests completed. Also you can do it where you save the game right before 4:30am(in game time) and do the fishing quest legitly. I'm not sure though if it will generate different quests each day because I just did the same one over and over. Basically I don't have a problem with the quests themselves, I think they are fun to do, but you have to wait FAR too long inbetween each one even if you are using server commands to mess with time.
(Also this way you don't have to download any third party software)

Pretty sure there is an item that advances time to the next day at 0430. Can't remember the name and can't look it up at work, but that would solve your problem as well. Although in that case you're advancing time so there is a concern about hallow/corruption/crimson spreading.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

nessin posted:

Pretty sure there is an item that advances time to the next day at 0430. Can't remember the name and can't look it up at work, but that would solve your problem as well. Although in that case you're advancing time so there is a concern about hallow/corruption/crimson spreading.

The sundial has a 7 day cooldown. :(

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
So I installed this game after not playing for 2 or 3 years and man I forgot how hard and frustrating it can be! Expert mode has been a huge pain in the rear end because I went exploring like crazy and managed to initiate the goblin invasion before I could get really good equipment (tungsten armor + weapons). I think I spent about 3 hours just trying to get away from my base, dying and trying to retrieve my dropped goods while under a massive goblin invasion, which has got to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in any game ever! I even lost ALL of my gear when I managed to get a bit too far away from my base and died!!

The bosses are also a lot harder now. I was trying EoC and I was able to get him down to 10% health without too much trouble but after that everything goes to poo poo. His hyper death sprint mode is 4 times harder than anything else he does and I would go from 400 to 0 hp in less than 10 seconds.

But now that I have meteor equipment it has all changed. I just beat EoC using my space gun without breaking a sweat and in less than 1/8th of the time it took me to almost kill him with my platinum bow. Now I'm looking for my next challenge...

Have you guys been playing on any goon servers lately? I'm waiting to see if this one comes back up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728802

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ Are you playing mediumcore and lost your gear that way? If so make a new character because medium/hard core in this game is dumb and either in expert is extremely dumb.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

The Bewitching Table is the one that gives you another minion. You can also buy them from the Witch Doctor once the Wizard moves in.

I have several in my base and though they were just crafting tables. :sigh:

Between that and the potion I should hopefully do a bit better against plantera, though I'm half tempted to just setup some teleporters and cheese him. For now I'm just going to look around for more jellyfish/crab/slime statues and make a bigass heart generator at the top of the arena. Would bird generators work too or do they give nothing as normal birds like bunnies due to being critters?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

It only took me 36 sharks to get my diving helm. I consider that a success :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've killed almost 200 floaty gross without getting vitamins :smithicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tin Tim posted:

It only took me 36 sharks to get my diving helm. I consider that a success :v:

The day I found a shark statue underground was a glorious day.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Enallyniv posted:

The sundial has a 7 day cooldown. :(

I thought that only applied to multiplayer?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

The guy on our server is probably 400 bats in without a Tri-Fold Map

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eric the Mauve posted:

The day I found a shark statue underground was a glorious day.
That must be nice to have. Would have saved me the farm, battle potions and working out my yo-yo to the max. That 2% drop chance has always been bullshit because the helmet isn't all that powerful to be honest. It's just a quality of life item.

Though, when I looked up farm setups for sharks, it was funny to see the various comments that were like "Pls give helmet I'll pay 10 Plat coins!!!" :v:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Had an easier time getting the Neptune stone then the diving gear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The guy on our server is probably 400 bats in without a Tri-Fold Map

I guess its inevitable that with so many rare items making up the ankh shield at least one of them is going to be a pain in the rear end to get.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

459 hours in this game (most of those after 1.2)and I've never even seen Vitamins in-game. :smith:

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
I've had this game a couple of days, and I found an arkhalis sword under a tree earlier. According to the wiki it's super rare, am I a lucky arsehole?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any way to visually tell when the Sundial is off cooldown? Since days aren't named or numbered it can be tough to keep track.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Best way I know is to just get a sextant (so easy guys, just get it from the angler! :negative:) and mark which moon phase you tapped the sundial on. There's eight moon phases so if you can remember that your sundial cools off on the full moon you can tap it once a week.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Is there any way to visually tell when the Sundial is off cooldown? Since days aren't named or numbered it can be tough to keep track.

Since there's no penalty that I can determine for trying and failing to use it, you can just try and hit it up whenever you want.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
What everyone is trying to say is "No"

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Sticking posted:

I've had this game a couple of days, and I found an arkhalis sword under a tree earlier. According to the wiki it's super rare, am I a lucky arsehole?

under a big tree? that is a pretty nice coincidence, and yeah, most worlds never generate one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Moon phases, I only just realized that Deathweed blooms during the Full Moon(in addition to the Blood Moon).