Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was a Railgun Merlin.

All the more reason to use anti-matter then?

I watched about the last 40 minutes of that video (while playing random poo poo on Steam) and I felt like screaming that the tips of missiles match the 'resistance color' of the damage they deal (i.e. Explosive is orange, EM is blue, Thermal is red, Kinetic is in it's own oddball world of green because white would look pretty dumb) except scourge missiles because then it would consistently make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xolve posted:

All the more reason to use anti-matter then?

"You're just regurgitating misinformation because someone told you to do it and you're not thinking for yourself." - Arumba on getting any advice to do something different.

He also got mad about being reminded rigs are useful because, and I'm quoting verbatimg here; "Rigs are too expensive. we also have guys with little skills so we can't use them."

There's a distinct irony about how he's getting so mad about people giving him advice, when he constantly tries to give other people advice on how to play Paradox games.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It was pretty funny listening to him talking about how he knew ammo types when he was sitting in a merlin with no rigs and to empty mids.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Unfunny Poster posted:

"You're just regurgitating misinformation because someone told you to do it and you're not thinking for yourself." - Arumba on getting any advice to do something different.

He also got mad about being reminded rigs are useful because, and I'm quoting verbatimg here; "Rigs are too expensive. we also have guys with little skills so we can't use them."

His bit about rigs is hilarious, because it is literally regurgitated misinformation from a time period when rigs only came in one size, and were oft far too expensive to fit a 20-50m rig on a 2-5m frigate.

I have a special loathing for people who attempt PvP without faction ammo and boosters (drugs, not links), but at 900k SP I get it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I'm slightly interested in seeing how many 30 dps no-tank frigates I can annhilate with something gimmicky like a rail vigilant, svipul or the new gallente destroyer.

I think the shining gem of that video is 'Griffins' exercising 'great fire control' to only 'shoot explosive missiles once ships have entered armor'. Aside from using a ECM bonused ship as a dps platform being woefully stupid, I can't wait until he experiences flight time, resistance profiles, and what a damage control does (even though he has one fitted); bonus points if he gets firewalled.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

I have a special loathing for people who attempt PvP without faction ammo and boosters

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

polyfractal posted:

Are those fancy new missile mods better/worse than painters for hitting subcaps? Or not worth giving up tank/damage slots for the new mods?
ETFing a couple examples, seems like in general one guidance computer is at most equal to a painter, sometimes worse. Way worse than a web of course. The lowslot enhancer is pretty mediocre unless you really want both the additional range and the slight DPS boost, compared to a BCS.

I think the new mods are all about fleets or gangs where you have webs and a couple painters spread around other ships, and for most solo they won't be a great choice.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xolve posted:

His bit about rigs is hilarious, because it is literally regurgitated misinformation from a time period when rigs only came in one size, and were oft far too expensive to fit a 20-50m rig on a 2-5m frigate.

I have an alt in his corp and linked a tackler Merlin fit that is cheaper than what he's trying to do and does about the same stuff he's trying to do with his fit. He got mad about people "acting like they know better" etc. and logged off the game.

The dude just hates people talking about what he wants to do, and sharing their opinions/ideas.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah, if you aren't using drugs, you are doing pvp wrong. All you have to do is leave your ship and get back in to clear the drawbacks. The exception being the missile penalty on exile.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

If you can get into goons; post your name in this thread and fly to deklein. Money and frigates will greet you there.
I just flew into Deklein as Thewlew.
I dumped all my existing gear and just snagged a shuttle, sitting on around $25m ISK or so, so I'm not completely helpless.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Yeah, if you aren't using drugs, you are doing pvp wrong. All you have to do is leave your ship and get back in to clear the drawbacks. The exception being the missile penalty on exile.

If this still works, I need a drug hookup.

So, uh, where can I buy some drugs?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
You are not a true bushido goonwarrior until you kill things with t1 ammo :colbert:

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Really? poo poo I spent a lot of training time for drawback and chance reduction... Well I usually wait for a bit too see what drugs I should take and use them when I get into combat.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

iostream.h posted:

sitting on around $25m ISK or so, so I'm not completely helpless.

:shobon: you get money from me

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

darthzeta88 posted:

Really? poo poo I spent a lot of training time for drawback and chance reduction... Well I usually wait for a bit too see what drugs I should take and use them when I get into combat.

Yep. I trained the skills too before I learned this.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Yep. I trained the skills too before I learned this.

They break and un break this work around every few patches.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Zasze posted:

They break and un break this work around every few patches.

:ccp:

still, though, drugs seem cool. Guys, where can I buy some drugs (totally not a cop).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

I have a special loathing for people who attempt PvP without faction ammo and boosters (drugs, not links), but at 900k SP I get it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I'm slightly interested in seeing how many 30 dps no-tank frigates I can annhilate with something gimmicky like a rail vigilant, svipul or the new gallente destroyer.

Fit out an Orthrus right and the answer is "All of them" while MWD'ing around faster than they do.

EDIT: And your post reminded me that my boosting alt should be done cooking, time to patch up and log in.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Fit out an Orthrus right and the answer is "All of them" while MWD'ing around faster than they do.

EDIT: And your post reminded me that my boosting alt should be done cooking, time to patch up and log in.

Just switched my boosting alt to charisma/willpower. 207 days to go!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I just have the rest of cybernetics 5, command ships 5, and wing command 5 left on my leadership guy! This has been the least fun skill grind so far.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Richard Bong posted:

I just have the rest of cybernetics 5, command ships 5, and wing command 5 left on my leadership guy! This has been the least fun skill grind so far.

My links alt already had cybernetics V for a set of +5s. Is there a need to do command ships? I can count on one hand the times I've seen a cs in a fleet, seems to be off grid tengus are the norm. It's already done the tengu and I remapped about 2 months ago for leadership, but I'm kind of irked that even with fc V and every link skill to V in queue the training time is less than a year :(. Is there any other skills worth training with a chr/will remap?

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Actually, we tested this a couple weeks ago when we had a cheap Breacher fleet with drugs. While the notification for drawbacks does go away, the drawback effects still linger but remain unreported by the UI.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Sixx Spades posted:

Actually, we tested this a couple weeks ago when we had a cheap Breacher fleet with drugs. While the notification for drawbacks does go away, the drawback effects still linger but remain unreported by the UI.

:stare:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Richard Bong posted:

I got cybernetics 5 for the +5 charisma plugin. Dreading the BC/CS grind, but that won't happen until leadership is done.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sixx Spades posted:

That sounds a lot more like :ccp: so Occam's razor tells is this will be the truth of the matter.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

rocket_Magnet posted:

My links alt already had cybernetics V for a set of +5s. Is there a need to do command ships? I can count on one hand the times I've seen a cs in a fleet, seems to be off grid tengus are the norm. It's already done the tengu and I remapped about 2 months ago for leadership, but I'm kind of irked that even with fc V and every link skill to V in queue the training time is less than a year :(. Is there any other skills worth training with a chr/will remap?

Turn your booster into a trade alt!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Turn your booster into a trade alt!

I could train all the social skills! :v: (insert witticism about goons and social skills here). They've got to be the most useless skillset in the game. Didn't stop me training them all to 3 on my main when I started out in 2006 :negative:.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The command ships 5 isn't NEEDED but I personally like to use them even if I am not actively boosting as a decent dps brick that only costs 300 mil. Also I committed pretty hard to the leadership train and I don't want to train this stuff ever again. Whenever they sort out on grid boosters I'll be ready... whenever that is. I also pretty much only use them in wormholes when fights are like 1-2 jumps away so the mobility issues aren't really a big deal.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
If I remember right this Arumba guy is the same one that whines on his youtube videos and stream because Paradox won't hire him since he's so good at their game :qq:.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

rocket_Magnet posted:

I could train all the social skills! :v: (insert witticism about goons and social skills here). They've got to be the most useless skillset in the game. Didn't stop me training them all to 3 on my main when I started out in 2006 :negative:.

Fast talk is quite useful, thank you very much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The social skills are incredibly useful, in the niche situations where you would want them at all. I wanted the ability to set jump clones in Curse a while back, for example, so I've got like 3-4 levels in the one that gives you better standings with pirates.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Richard Bong posted:

Seriously, just scam someone and buy a link character on the bazaar.

gently caress spending a year training that garbage. Bonus points for max leadership AND probing skills.

rocket_Magnet posted:

I think Diplomacy, Connections (?) and a few of the trade skills require Charisma (Contracting is a pretty handy one). If you run missions or do FW in any sort then you want the LP bonus skills like security connections and the payout modifiers (gently caress if I remember what they're actually called). You can also drastically increase the rate at which you gain (and effectively lose) standings with a few skills which are handy if you roam lowsec semi-frequently. It's pretty poo poo that if you pod someone in an NPC corp you're automagically -7.5 with that corporation, which I believe carries over into the actual Faction standing as well (at a much smaller hit).

This is subject to my hazy memory on skill descriptions I haven't read in at least 3 years, might want to double check.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

With Neurotoxin Recovery 5, Biology 5, and Nanite Control (I think it's this one?) 5 I can count on one hand how many times I've had an adverse reaction in 6 years.

Still a neat trick though, sadly- usually when I'm popping boosters it's mid-combat so it's not like re-shipping is an available option. -10% Velocity sucks.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 17, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xolve posted:

Seriously, just scam someone and buy a link character on the bazaar.

gently caress spending a year training that garbage. Bonus points for max leadership AND probing skills.
Hmm… are there any tools that estimates the value of a character based on what skills it has, or is that just something you have to research? I'm kind of curious what Tippia is worth with her oddball collection of pseudo-profession skills.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Tippis posted:

Hmm… are there any tools that estimates the value of a character based on what skills it has, or is that just something you have to research? I'm kind of curious what Tippia is worth with her oddball collection of pseudo-profession skills.

The character bazaar has some weird ebb and flow that seems devoid of logic and reasoning.

Make space dollars, wait for something you want, and buy it. Negotiation is a waste of time.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Put the Jump Clone skills in there as well, they follow the same remap.

Be the rear end in a top hat with an Armour and Shield links clone in every corner of the universe!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Put the Jump Clone skills in there as well, they follow the same remap.

Be the rear end in a top hat with an Armour and Shield links clone in every corner of the universe!

Those are good ones to get, but there's no getting around wasted time on a Charisma remap. At around the 9 month mark it's time to either burn a bonus remap or train a different character for a few months to wait out the remap timer.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Attributes are dumb and should have been axed with the learning skills. Change implants to a simple percentage faster training time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So how goes the game of whack-a-moa? There was some timers today right?

On a scale of 1-10 how gay is fozziesov..

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hexel posted:

So how goes the game of whack-a-moa? There was some timers today right?

On a scale of 1-10 how gay is fozziesov..

15, but we're really good at it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

how does mindflood work? the - to rep and boost amount only interact with local reps/boosts not remote reps/boosts, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Reverand maynard posted:

how does mindflood work? the - to rep and boost amount only interact with local reps/boosts not remote reps/boosts, yes?

Mindflood does neither of those things, it gives a boost to capacitor size.
You're thinking of blue pill (shield) and exile (armor), and as far as I know those only interact with local tanks
e:

mikey posted:

He's talking about the drawbacks, which only affect local tanking modules and not remote shield/armor modules (either when using or recieving). Same with Exile/Blue Pill.
Oops. Guess I should pay more attention to side effects.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 17, 2015

• Locked thread